Someone gave me an I Phone 6, can I... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb phone plus 8" tablet? zuren The Tech Zone 12 02-27-2018 08:59 AM
Using smartphone for wilderness & off-the-grid applications varuna The Tech Zone 56 12-30-2017 06:07 AM
Puerto rican ham radio operator asks American station to call his family in the US k0diak314 Communications 19 10-24-2017 12:09 AM
EMP and stealth questions Sup3rfly The Tech Zone 20 10-13-2017 08:46 AM
I'm phone tarded - I need an Android Phone wtr100 The Tech Zone 10 09-29-2017 06:39 AM

Old 05-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,024 Times in 703 Posts
Default Someone gave me an I Phone 6, can I...

Advertise Here

use this for driving directions without a cell time plan?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 16,695 Times in 5,027 Posts

Likely the GPS function will without a SIM card installed,

But the only GPS apps that will work are those from the app store that display location as latitude/longitude/altitude.

It will take longer to find the satellite signal and it will only work "line of sight" meaning you must be out in the open. This is because without the SIM the GPS must function without the assistance of the cell towers.

Also, you will not be able to see anything on the maps, unless you're on Wi-Fi, since the map data is downloaded from google and not stored permanently.

I'd just buy a refurbed Garmin Drive on Amazon.... they're only $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-N1...SIN=B077H5M4LF
The Following User Says Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 59,255 Times in 18,288 Posts

Gmap (Google Maps) will let you download the regional data for a region while on WIFI. It will store it for a month after which you need to repeat the process.

So, the answer is yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:

Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,058 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Likely the GPS function will without a SIM card installed,

But the only GPS apps that will work are those from the app store that display location as latitude/longitude/altitude.

It will take longer to find the satellite signal and it will only work "line of sight" meaning you must be out in the open. This is because without the SIM the GPS must function without the assistance of the cell towers.

Also, you will not be able to see anything on the maps, unless you're on Wi-Fi, since the map data is downloaded from google and not stored permanently.
A-GPS uses cell towers only at the start to faster verify location. After that during use there is no difference between phone with or without a sim card inserted (assuming that the GPS works without sim in general).
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 AM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 21,487 Times in 5,368 Posts

I don't know if it's the same in the Apple store, but there are some Android GPS/driving apps that have the maps and don't need wifi or cell phone signal to function.

Apple is kinda restrictive though, and I don't know if there are any of those type apps for Iphone.

To be honest, if it was an Android phone instead, it would be a lot simpler. But it still may be possible.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,349 Times in 581 Posts

sell the phone and get a used GPS. I have 5 or 6 of them. most were $5 or less at yard sales. nobody wants them anymore with their smart phones but they are a GREAT and CHEAP prep. they can also be jailbroken to turn them into a PDA running Windows CE with more aps and functions than just the GPS.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Trapper

Offline maps aren't any different than android versions. Some apps have them, others don't. Common on both platforms is that they need space, so the app with maps might not fit in the cheapest possible model.

I used TomTom iphone app, the old version with offline map, until they discontinued it about year and a half ago. From then on I've used Waze for navigation because it's free (although does not support offline maps).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 21,055 Times in 7,686 Posts

Waze is a great app. It saved me a hour of a drive one time because someone marked that the freeway I was about to turn onto was backed up. Waze had me take a different route and brought me in front of the back up.

After that my moto was, Love the Waze, Trust the Waze.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 59,255 Times in 18,288 Posts

Don't ever trust a GPS too much.

Google maps has directed me around traffic tie-ups brilliantly.
It also told me of a short cut around what it predicted was a 10 hr delay driving back to Houston during a rain storm. Right through a flood zone and I lost the car in a flood.

They also can get screwed up when you drive past a sensitive area that has a GPS scrambler mounted on it to protect it from missile attacks. (Dams, refineries, pipeline valve stations).

They are great tools, but keep your wits about you.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 AM
The Hawks Nest

And lets not forget human error. Last week I was coming back from a near by city. Never been there so didnt know the route. GPS said we had about 20 minutes left to get back. Wife noted that the route seemed kind of different to her but neither of us knew it. When I checked the GPS I saw that it was taking us to another city that id been to the week before. My finger must have hit that one by accident as it was directly under where we wanted to go to on the list. We ended up adding 1.5 hours to the trip Geesh.

By the way, the 2nd city and home were about the same travel time from the 1st city so that was no warning. Long story short, double check your GPS when going somewhere.

- Tyler Durban
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 AM
The Hawks Nest

And yes, I felt like an idiot after wards.

- Tyler Durban
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 AM
begger of beer

Another app is maps.me

It needs network first to download the maps for the region you want to navigate in. After you have them save you can search addresses and it will give you driving directions.
The Following User Says Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
And lets not forget human error. Last week I was coming back from a near by city. Never been there so didnt know the route. GPS said we had about 20 minutes left to get back. Wife noted that the route seemed kind of different to her but neither of us knew it. When I checked the GPS I saw that it was taking us to another city that id been to the week before. My finger must have hit that one by accident as it was directly under where we wanted to go to on the list. We ended up adding 1.5 hours to the trip Geesh.

By the way, the 2nd city and home were about the same travel time from the 1st city so that was no warning. Long story short, double check your GPS when going somewhere.
With Waze I often check the route it proposes, at least for me it usually gives three options how to reach the destination. There is a map view, so I just glance at it and poke at the route I wish to choose. At this point it is rather simple to notice if the route leads to wrong city

For instance there can be a route that is 5-10 minutes quicker and a bit shorter but has speed cameras everywhere and I know it, so I'll rather take a bit longer route and drive as I feel good

There are things that work nice with Waze. If I have to stop at traffic, it will show a pop-up asking if there is a traffic jam. If I click yes, people behind me at least are routed around the block. Same thing if I notice a mobile speed trap, it should leave a temporary warning for others for a few hours after I click in the app.

My coworker is a local Waze editor, so instead of reporting map errors online I'll just point him the map and explain what is wrong, couple weeks later that is usually updated. Btw, as far as I know Google maps uses Waze map data these days, at least in my country (and google owns waze, but that is another story).

Because the map editors are local people, they can program Waze beforehand to avoid certain streets if they know some event will have them blocked. Like a street festival between 10 and 12 some day, just tell Waze to route around that area between 9:45 and 12:30 to avoid sitting in a traffic jam. Or bigger events like road or bridge constructions/renovations, same thing but they will last months at worst.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 10,881 Times in 3,541 Posts

Yes. Just download an offline map app of your choice. Many to choose from.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Hiker

Guru maps for IOS works great. You download the map areas you want then never have to worry about a cell/wifi connection