Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AR's, group training, appleseed... Nomad, 2nd Military Weapons Forum 20 12-26-2018 02:09 PM
Run, Hide, Fight Training... For my Elementary Student Drill That Oil General Discussion 12 11-01-2018 10:40 PM
Radiological (Radiation) and Nuclear Incident Training Resources CONELRAD Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 3 09-26-2017 10:05 PM
Who actually has tactical training? 9Wolf19 Firearms General Discussion 176 11-07-2016 10:12 AM
Tactical Training: Front Sight Nevada JOracle Firearms General Discussion 3 10-22-2016 02:42 PM

Old 05-17-2019, 09:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default Eye training aids?

Advertise Here

Does anyone have hands on with a "brock string"? Did it help your shooting?

As I get older I am having issues with front sight focus...I think my dominant eye is losing to the other in "strength" and I'm getting into the lovely land of opposite eye/hand dominance? Not really sure.

I have always shot in what I consider "target focus style" but with young, good eyes what that meant was I could rapidly switch from target to FSP so fast and smooth as to seem to be one "thing" and I always shot well (expert badges rifle/pistol every time).

Now I can't switch focus like that and I'm having trouble with front sight focus. Its one or the other, Target or sight...I don't miss the target at any normal distance with target focus, I just will not have a tight little group...

If I go with front sight focus, and I mean good focus, you could move the target and I probably wouldn't notice! on top of it its seeming the left eye is over riding the right and I get a very canted look to the gun in my sight picture...very aggravating. I noticed all this about a week ago...its new.

It may be red dot time my handguns...but the ones I have or would like are not optics ready.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 37,983 Times in 9,185 Posts

A couple of suggestions....

Keep both eyes open, focus on the target more so than the front sight. Most people say not to do this but it works for me. I'm what you call a snap shooter, in fact I rarely use the front sight at all. The target is after all what you're wanting to hit. The handgun is an extension of your finger. Practice looking at a target, close your eyes, then point your finger and/or gun at it, then open your eyes. Is it aimed properly? Practice until you get it right

Use weaker reading glasses if you must focus on the front sight, by using the weaker ones, your target focuses easier with the front sight, than stronger readers

Sometimes using an aperture sight helps too

FWIW and YMMV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,231 Times in 907 Posts

I have shot opposite eye hand for years....until ds decided mom needs to shoot correctly. Now I am also contending with not seeing as well. I finally gave in and have progressive lens glasses I wear all the time. Practice helps with using the "correct" eye for me. Have you had a good eye exam? I stress good as I have had glasses that were awful! Absolutely could not see to shoot. Went to a real eye doc, not a big box ass, and what a difference.
I do not know what a "brock string" is so cannot answer. Will say growing old stinks. Recoil hurts more now, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:

Old 05-17-2019, 03:02 PM
What?

Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,971 Posts
Unhappy

Ive noticed my eyes are starting to go (again*) and Im going to have to do something about some things here soon.

My sight pictures are getting fuzzier and fuzzier and no longer "sharp" as they have been. Three dots help, but at distance, where you want the "sharp", they arent really much help.

I havent run into the strong eye shift, yet anyway, if its coming at all. Every once in a while though I do get something similar, and I just close my left eye and reacquire the sights and when I reopen my left, all seems to be good again.

I think for me, a lot of that has to do with the ambient light on the sights. When it does happen, it seems its always around noon on a bright day, with the light mostly on "top" of the gun.

If anything, light, or more importantly, the lack of it, is more of a challenge for me these days when it comes to shooting and seeing my sights.

Theres no doubt, as Im getting older, things seem to be accelerating now, and the results are suffering a bit, especially at distance.

(again*).... This is the second time Im seeing my eyes go, only this time, I think its natural, due to older age, and not "man made".

Back when I was in high school, I was told I needed glasses for reading, which was news to me, but I ended up getting a pair. It seemed the more I was wearing them, the more I seemed to need them.

In my early 30's, the doc started to increase the script harder each time, and I seemed to need them even more, as every other year or so, the scripts kept getting stronger, and all of a sudden I was wearing progressive trifocals.

Then in my early 50's , I moved and changed jobs, and that first summer, I broke my glasses at work, and with the schedule we have at work, didnt get around to getting another pair, so I just started wearing my safety/sunglasses. Finished out the summer that way, and by the time I got laid off in the fall, I really didnt miss the glasses, except for reading the real small print in lower light.

I havent worn prescription glasses ever since. I do wear the cheap, Walmart "cheaters" to read small stuff, but other than that, its just my safety glasses.

I swear, the less I wore them, the better my eyes were getting. I easily read things at a distance that I couldnt 13 years ago unless I was wearing those trifocals.

Ive had a couple of three eye exams in those years since, and each time, was told I need prescription glasses. When I explain what happened, and that they seemed to be getting better without them, they all blew me off and said that wasnt possible. Yet here I am, still doing better now than when I was getting a new (high dollar) script change every other year. Isnt that funny?

Im not saying people dont need glasses, a lot do, and that is a fact. I just think its also a BIG racket, and they are milking the hell out of it, and actually making the eyes of people who really dont need them, progressively weaker and weaker over time, and then to the point, they do need them, more and more, or at least appear to.

The last exam I had was more about the floaters that have increased in both size and numbers recently (some to the point I lose my sights altogether for a couple of blinks or a headshake), and some other issues I thought might be a detached retina. Luckily, it wasnt that, but the floaters are apparently just due to getting old and always being outdoors and Ill have to live with them. I also seem to have some cataracts coming on too. Goody, goody.

As Cat wrangler said, getting old sucks, and this is just one thing and the start. Oh well, what are you gonna do but "Embrace the Suck!"

Sorry for the long rant, but the thought of the eye doctors just got me wound up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,231 Times in 907 Posts

I take vitamin c, a lot, read there are some studies showing it can slow the growth of cataracts as I have them, too. It seems to have helped as they have stayed the same size for some time. Maybe coincidence. Ymmv.

I agree with MF on practicing with pointing. Did a little tactical practice with the goal of muscle memory "aiming". The idea being, if ever having to grab the shotgun or pistol in the middle of the night, grogy and without glasses, the more instinctive (practice, practice) the point and shoot the better. It seems to help with the target shooting, too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post

I think for me, a lot of that has to do with the ambient light on the sights. When it does happen, it seems its always around noon on a bright day, with the light mostly on "top" of the gun.
And I would guess when it happens, all of your shots are high?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
And I would guess when it happens, all of your shots are high?
Not really, they are more or less right where Im looking, just not as tight as I usually get. Its just I seem to have more trouble seeing a clear sight picture then for some reason, especially with my Glocks with three dots night sights on them.

If anything, wouldn't the rounds tend to be low? You know, the old "lights up, sights up" thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Not really, they are more or less right where Im looking, just not as tight as I usually get. Its just I seem to have more trouble seeing a clear sight picture then for some reason, especially with my Glocks with three dots night sights on them.

If anything, wouldn't the rounds tend to be low? You know, the old "lights up, sights up" thing?
No, generally speaking, if you are shooting under bright sun, directly overhead, using anything but brand new sights, the reflection off your front sight post will cause a glint. The halo from that glint causes an optical illusion that makes your front sight edge disappear, and appear to be lower (below the halo). That makes people raise their front sight to compensate, which means the barrel angles upward.

"Lights up, sights up" is a term from longer range bullseye shooting (usually with a rifle), where you are using irons and a 6 o'clock hold. In that case there is a weird halo formed around the bottom edge of the target. Traditionally, with bright overhead sunlight, using a pistol, and a center hold, the explanation above is the illusion you have to deal with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM
What?

Yup, the latter is what I was referring to.

Never really noticed a difference with a handgun.

Then again, Ive gotten over trying to put them all in the same hole, rifle or pistol.

I had the same problem going from precision surveying to construction surveying. I used to go into vapor lock when I told the guy on the machine he had to go down another inch and they kept saying it was right on. Now? Its perfect! Or at least, almost exactly right on!

Thats about where my eyes are these days too. Almost exactly right on.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,571 Times in 7,822 Posts

I would start with the eye doc and see what they can do for you. I had cataract surgery in the left eye 7 years ago; still good. Had the right eye done about 1.5 years ago. After a year it needed laser surgery - back to good again.

Quick draw folks don't use sights, good ones can bag dinner at reasonable ranges.

I have a training device made for the 1911. It is a spring return dart that jumps out about 3" under the hammer blow and puts a pin prick in a piece of paper. When you can keep the mark to one ragged pin prick you are well on the way to shooting well. It will help with trigger control and sight picture.

There was a program of eye exercises for sale for a while. Some folks had success using it.

Nothing wrong with getting another gun set up to work for you exactly.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belnik View Post
Does anyone have hands on with a "brock string"? Did it help your shooting?

As I get older I am having issues with front sight focus...I think my dominant eye is losing to the other in "strength" and I'm getting into the lovely land of opposite eye/hand dominance? Not really sure.

I have always shot in what I consider "target focus style" but with young, good eyes what that meant was I could rapidly switch from target to FSP so fast and smooth as to seem to be one "thing" and I always shot well (expert badges rifle/pistol every time).

Now I can't switch focus like that and I'm having trouble with front sight focus. Its one or the other, Target or sight...I don't miss the target at any normal distance with target focus, I just will not have a tight little group...

If I go with front sight focus, and I mean good focus, you could move the target and I probably wouldn't notice! on top of it its seeming the left eye is over riding the right and I get a very canted look to the gun in my sight picture...very aggravating. I noticed all this about a week ago...its new.

It may be red dot time my handguns...but the ones I have or would like are not optics ready.
Had the same issues a few years ago. Ended up pretty much stopping shooting. It just got too frustrating. Ended up going to RMR's on my G19's. Milled 1 got MOS on others. I've spent the last year or so retaking classes to get used to them. I'm now back to doing some carry gun competitions and enjoying shooting again. Took an investment of time and money but feel confident in my abilities to protect what I hold dear again.
My .02 worth.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to flatlander11b For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,391 Posts

Hit the range yesterday, 250+ rds of .22lr and 100 rds of 9mm. ( handguns) End result was not bad, but there is room for improvement...as always.

I have always leaned towards target focused style shooting, but had the eyes to focus on the FSP when needed/wanted. While its hard to quantify the results if not shooting set distances at set sized targets, I'd say my target focused style of shooting was plenty good enough, and my FSP focus shooting was a bit better. (with older better eyes)

Now, My target focused style still seems the same, but my focused FSP work is diminishing.

I plan on trying a few eye training aids and I'll report back with how it works outs.

I also plan on trying a red dot pistol set up soon...I'd have no issue moving over to this concept if I could find the right gun for me...I'm very picky with what I will CCW. (life would be so much easier if I could tolerate a glock)