Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mckinnely's Fitness Blog Mckinnely Fitness Blogs 4 10-24-2018 05:29 AM
Bersa Thunder 40 PRO 40 S&W 4.25″ 13 Rd Duo-Tone from $328.45 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 10-09-2018 07:39 PM
40 Year Old Food Storage Taste Test JOracle Food and water 43 03-16-2018 10:36 PM
American Tactical SBR Kit for GSG MP 40 Pistol AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-30-2018 08:30 PM
It appears to me the 40 S&W is on the decline as a police arm. wtr100 Pistol and Revolver Forum 102 04-06-2017 06:10 PM

Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,891 Posts

Advertise Here

Today's "experts" are idiots, just trying to sell a book, supplements, or some such bs.

I'm with you on some, not on others, but what works well for me might not for you, at our age you should have a good idea (if you can remember it! LOL)

Personally I have no desire to stop going for new heights in my lifting. On some lifts I'm stronger than I was in my 30's, others, bench, I'm nowhere near where I once was, but I believe thats in my head.

Your first statement about diets I agree with completely. I could go on and on, but don't want to hijack your thread, so, Thank you.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jojo64155 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64155 View Post
Personally I have no desire to stop going for new heights in my lifting. On some lifts I'm stronger than I was in my 30's, others, bench, I'm nowhere near where I once was, but I believe thats in my head.
What Jo said.

I started lifting at 30 and didn't go over 600 in the squat until almost forty years old. I hit my first 400+ pound close grip bench on my 50th birthday. Didn't hit a 555 deadlift until 57 years old.

I expressed fear of getting older affecting my lifting to my doc. His response? As long as you have the hunger to keep getting stronger, you will. I'm still hungry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 44 Flattop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 02:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,235 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 Flattop View Post
What Jo said.

I started lifting at 30 and didn't go over 600 in the squat until almost forty years old. I hit my first 400+ pound close grip bench on my 50th birthday. Didn't hit a 555 deadlift until 57 years old.

I expressed fear of getting older affecting my lifting to my doc. His response? As long as you have the hunger to keep getting stronger, you will. I'm still hungry.
I've never known anyone who started serious lifting that late in life and stuck with it. Most tried too hard to lift too much and wound up with joint injuries or hemorrhoids. The rest couldn't function without instant gratification, which isn't an element of any fitness regime.
My examples of how not to live when you get older came from at least a dozen guys who were twenty or thirty years older than me when they retired and were dead within a few years. But then again, other than the guys from my gym and a few others, I've known very few people who maintained any kind of fitness program at all.
I stopped once on a Sunday to help a guy about my age, around forty, change a tire on his van. He had a wife and three or four kids in the van, and wasn't strong enough to lift the spare out of the well in the back of the van. The spare couldn't have weighed more than twenty or thirty pounds.
Scared me so bad that I didn't miss a workout for the next two years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:

Old 05-12-2019, 05:38 AM
Hiker

Obviously there are different strokes for different folks . In my 40's I ran 40 miles a week , Sat was a 10 miler . 3 days a week I ran to and from the Y -2.5 miles each way - and worked out for an hour . Fast forward to now , I walk 5 miles a day and will be 82 in July . Worked for me . PS I still do not HURT and that makes a lot of things possible for me . Just lucky I guess .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luckyfasteddie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Today's "experts" are idiots, just trying to sell a book, supplements, or some such bs.

I'm with you on some, not on others, but what works well for me might not for you, at our age you should have a good idea (if you can remember it! LOL)

Your first statement about diets I agree with completely. I could go on and on, but don't want to hijack your thread, so, Thank you.
I think definitely "strong man" kinds of exercises are beneficial to men over 40. It's a practical form of muscle strength and requires joint mobility at the same time.
I'm currently in the process of going back to square 1 and getting flexible enough to do squats and overhead press with good form so I won't injure myself (again) trying to lift heavier weights. When I get more shoulder flexibility then I'll reassess what type of training I want to do.

I have a trainer who is useful, but I have to keep reminding him that my goals are not his goals. Of course he wants to increase the weight I'm lifting every workout to show some "data" on a graph that I've improved, but my focus is currently on form, balance, flexibility and mobility and unfortunately the fitness industry often doesn't even care about that stuff and hasn't established ways to measure progress in those areas. It's a pity because I think everyone needs those areas 1st and foremost, but instead they get pushed into lifting heavy with bad form and the result is injury.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Survivor

I agree, some of the "form" I've seen makes me cringe, and this is coming for so called "Certified" trainers!

I used to compete in Strongman Competitions, I stopped because the lifts were damaging. They were safe, as in the way they were done, etc., but damaging in that they were using excessively heavy weights for minuscule range of motion causing joint damage.

I admit, I am a heavy weight junkie, I love heavy weights, always have, and as soon as I am recovered, I will again. The thing is though, that I am the only one pushing, I don't give a rats arse about trainers, charts, etc..
The Following User Says Thank You to jojo64155 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,372 Times in 8,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavibalc View Post
Lots of people draw the line at 7 lol.

These aren't commandments - just what I have found to be helpful. Pick or choose which work for you.

The reason I included it:
Low testosterone is a major problem with a huge percentage of the male population over 40 and moreso over 50. It affects so many areas of well being and quality of life.
Many men think the answer to low T is to go to a doctor to get Testosterone supplementation. I think getting the right woman in my bed on a regular basis is a better solution. At least for me and many men.
Sure it's sometimes not a possibility but in those cases I'd say sure, masturbate. I fully understand the difficulty of finding the right woman so in those cases I'd say try to develop a professional relationship with a courtesan (not a prostitute - the distinction is significant) and visit her as often as is practical.

Testosterone is literally a sexual hormone. To try and maintain testosterone in middle age without addressing the difference between masturbation and intercourse / coitus is problematic.

Or just disregard #7
It is also muscle building.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,372 Times in 8,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavibalc View Post
Quote:

I think definitely "strong man" kinds of exercises are beneficial to men over 40. It's a practical form of muscle strength and requires joint mobility at the same time.
I'm currently in the process of going back to square 1 and getting flexible enough to do squats and overhead press with good form so I won't injure myself (again) trying to lift heavier weights. When I get more shoulder flexibility then I'll reassess what type of training I want to do.

I have a trainer who is useful, but I have to keep reminding him that my goals are not his goals. Of course he wants to increase the weight I'm lifting every workout to show some "data" on a graph that I've improved, but my focus is currently on form, balance, flexibility and mobility and unfortunately the fitness industry often doesn't even care about that stuff and hasn't established ways to measure progress in those areas. It's a pity because I think everyone needs those areas 1st and foremost, but instead they get pushed into lifting heavy with bad form and the result is injury.
Potentially look at a competition lifting coach?

Because technique is what makes the difference there.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,625 Times in 4,197 Posts

I am also back to weight training again. Not so much to build bulk but to maintain muscle mass and mobility. The related cardio is also very effective. Lighter weight. Lots of reps. I've only been back at it for a couple of weeks but feel better already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
Potentially look at a competition lifting coach?

Because technique is what makes the difference there.
Had one many moons ago, when I was competing, but that was another lifetime it seems.