The taxes you pay - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The POLITICAL joke..picture..video..almost anything thread.! RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 19351 Today 05:42 PM
Final: IRS Will Not Release President Trump's Tax Returns Batko10 Political News and Discussion 151 05-20-2019 04:51 PM
Medicare for All Pitbull_Dallas General Discussion 132 03-29-2018 12:53 PM
Bannon: Let's raise income taxes! bowman Political News and Discussion 46 07-28-2017 07:42 AM
From DAV: President Trump's budget will substantially reduce veterans' compensation Bud General Discussion 147 07-03-2017 03:05 PM

Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 41,765 Times in 9,808 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
But it's those taxes that helps all the illegals go to school and learn English.....
It's all those taxes that helps hire the spanish speaking teachers, that wouldn't otherwise be needed, who help all the illegals, that shouldn't be here, go to school and overcrowd the classrooms so YOUR kid goes unnoticed.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,704 Times in 3,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxak47 View Post
I also like how the county does appraisals here by valuing your property higher than what its worth just to collect more taxes. The money collected on all taxes are wasted on projects that are obviously overpriced and local politicians get the difference.
But if they didn't raise the appraisals then people would understand that it's not that their property value went up (because almost everyone's did, at least on paper), it's that the amount of taxes they want to collect from it goes up.

By increasing your appraisal (along with most everyone else's), it masks it - you'll think your taxes went up due to your home value going up, when really it probably stayed the same but they just want more tax revenue.

Plus, having your home value go up (or at least, having them tell you it did), is more palatable for most people than telling them your property value stayed the same but they increased taxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 PM
ICBM Warrior

Sonya,

In VA if you don't travel more than 50 miles from your farm, those vehicles you can claim as "farm use". You have to title them with DMV, but you don't have to register them (meaning no more state inspection either!). Get "FARM USE" plates from a Southern States store and you're good to go. You may want to insure the vehicles (liability only since you'll still be on the roads), not sure about personal property taxes as they are not registered.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I added up one time how much we paid in taxes up until around 2016, and it ended up being something close to half a million $.
The only thing you can do is stop making money and living in a large city. Now, we pay almost no taxes compared to before. If you have a farm, you really only pay property tax on your house, very little on the land, and houses in rural areas are cheaper. If you earn below poverty line you pay no local or federal taxes. The only thing we now pay is taxes in various forms on our vehicles. I haven't figured out a way to get around that, but the older your vehicle, the less you pay.
The only thing any of us can do is stop playing their stupid game and joining the takers instead of the payers. We still work and produce, but we are no longer payers.

Last edited by jeff_k; 05-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: adding info
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,874 Times in 1,774 Posts

35 years in the same house weve had a stable rise in taxes up to about 2004 then things heated up rising by more than 10% over 3 year periods.

After the crash the revals didnt reflect the drop in values and people got ****ed so the long time Dem auditor gets dumped, now with a young conservative I expect this will adjust down but well see.

FWIW the bulk of my land is deeded separately and undeveloped so taxes are less than $300. yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Call the appraisal board and make an appointment to protest your appraisal. Be prepared. They will cite 'comparable properties' to yours in your area and that they sold for whatever amount. Do all you can to disprove that your property is comparable. Any repairs that need doing, anything like utility easements, pipelines, cables, etc. that cross your property, standing water issues, subsidence issues, junky neighbors, anything. Take photos and document differences. Also do your own due diligence to research 'comparable' properties in your area and what they actually sold for, not some realtor's website with the 'listed' price. Find out what it really sold for. Be prepared for a meeting with several board members as well as an agent from the tax appraiser's office who will try his/her best to convince the board that the property really is 'worth' X amount. You must make a case as to why it's not worth X amount. If you are lucky, the board will lower your tax estimate, or split the difference with you.

I have successfully protested my appraised value on this and two other properties several times in the past. It's a pain, but it can be done.

As for aggregate of all taxes I pay as a self employed person, a couple of years ago I calculated that I must work through the end of April or into early May to cover all my tax burdens. Something to consider if you want to be self employed.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Awake and Confused

In many states instead of using the word "Tax" they now use the word "Fee".
I suppose it sounds less threatening and maybe even fools the fools.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,771 Times in 3,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post
Sonya,

In VA if you don't travel more than 50 miles from your farm, those vehicles you can claim as "farm use". You have to title them with DMV, but you don't have to register them (meaning no more state inspection either!). Get "FARM USE" plates from a Southern States store and you're good to go. You may want to insure the vehicles (liability only since you'll still be on the roads), not sure about personal property taxes as they are not registered.

Jeff
That would only work for our truck , the other 2 vehicles we go places with other than farm use in the local area. If it is registered for farm use only , do you no longer have to pay the personal property tax on it?
The inspection is only $16

But thanks for the idea, we might do this with the farm truck
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,232 Posts

I can remember as a kid living in Los Angeles when the first sales tax was enacted at 4%. Most thought it was a lot of money but went along with it because it was only 4 cents on a dollar. Here in North Arkansas they are trying to raise it to 10 1/2%. Add this to tax on property and everything else and the taxpayer is in trouble. I can remember when some politician proposed a sales tax of 10% that would cover all taxes and allow us to abolish the income tax. Ha! Never happen.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 10,838 Times in 4,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
Between local assessments on property and vehicles, added to state tax on everything else- income tax here, gas, sales tax, excise taxes on electric, phones, and other stuff, we pay a lot. Those are all hidden taxes to people who either don't understand them or don't look at it to begin with.

Then we have fed stuff- income tax, tax on gas and other fuels, taxes on phone, cable, and other utilities. And I'm missing a few. We are taxed a lot.

Yeah, all licenses are taxes also and they keep increasing both in cost and for compliance.
Our former family business where I worked as a kid needed one master license to operate.
Years later when the business was sold, 15 licenses were required.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post: