Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catholicism - the TV series Atticus Videos on religion 6 12-30-2018 12:22 PM
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
Watch: Hi-Point Carbine Hunter Series AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 08-02-2017 01:25 PM
Modern equivalent to heavy crossbow BearShark Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 29 06-24-2017 05:03 PM
$59.99 for the 4X32MM Riflescope W/ 3/4 Circle Reticle Recon Series from AIM Sports 4 GearHog GearHog 0 02-08-2017 10:30 AM

View Poll Results: Is the RUSH series bag too heavy for Backpacking?
Too Heavy 1 20.00%
Light enough 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 AM

Question RUSH series too heavy for backpacking?

Advertise Here

Hey everyone. I have been considering purchasing either the RUSH 24 or the RUSH 72 pack as a bugout bag and possibly using it as a school bag while in college. My bug out plan would consist of traveling about 20 miles of paved, hilly terrain (highest elevation would be about 630ft) into a forest. My bug out location would be inside the forest so after driving (and/or hiking depending on how much fuel I have and whether I need to take a different route) 20 miles to my destination, I will still have to backpack into the forest to reach my BOL.

I was wondering whether you believe that the RUSH series would be considered too heavy for this plan (after all ounces=pounds=pain) and I would be better off going with an ultralight backpacker bag. I am not worried about looking too tactical around my area and my main plan would be to get to my BOL via car, but if the road is blocked or I run out of gas, I want the ability to hike the rest of the way if need be.

The RUSH 24 weighs 4.2lb
The RUSH 72 weighs 5.5lb (Leaning more towards purchasing the 72)
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 02:20 AM
Secure

I WORK/EDC/INCH/BOB a couple of Rush 24s in black and sandstone. The 72 is way too big IMHO - you will be tempted to pack it heavier than you can/should carry. The 24 is plenty beaucoup. If you need more room, add some molle pouches or a condor battle belt to it. FWIW I've used my in lieu of my issue patrol bag for distances longer than 20 miles, and it carried great.

There are lighter bags, but its hard to find a tougher bag. And I don't mind the extra weight if my primary means of carrying my stuff doesn't break down. If you've ever had a pack fail on you in bad weather or in a remote place, its miserable.
The Following User Says Thank You to heldfast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 59,253 Times in 18,288 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this for GHB.

EDC bag is smaller

Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,322 Times in 573 Posts

Ultralight might not be the best choice for your intended use.
imo if you really need a larger bag there are several 50lt bags that weight in at 4lbs or under. 4pounds should be your upper pack weight limit. Consider that in gross terms ever pound extra in pack weight is an extra day of supplies.
Kelty makes very good H.D. packs and they have several 50ft or smaller all with a total weight of under 4pounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 06:02 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 21,487 Times in 5,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Kelty makes very good H.D. packs and they have several 50ft or smaller all with a total weight of under 4pounds.
Which Kelty packs? I know I could google it, but you seem to know what it is and I could spend a long time looking.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,322 Times in 573 Posts

Redwing series.
For a quick look try the sportsmans warehouse site.
Yeah I used to work for them but the site is easy to do a quick search with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Secure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Redwing series.
My wife's BOB is an older Kelty Redwing 40 ... don't care for the organization all that much. I think they improved it in the newer design; definitely rugged, and fits her well.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:56 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,699 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide76 View Post
Hey everyone. I have been considering purchasing either the RUSH 24 or the RUSH 72 pack as a bugout bag and possibly using it as a school bag while in college. My bug out plan would consist of traveling about 20 miles of paved, hilly terrain (highest elevation would be about 630ft) into a forest. My bug out location would be inside the forest so after driving (and/or hiking depending on how much fuel I have and whether I need to take a different route) 20 miles to my destination, I will still have to backpack into the forest to reach my BOL.

I was wondering whether you believe that the RUSH series would be considered too heavy for this plan (after all ounces=pounds=pain) and I would be better off going with an ultralight backpacker bag. I am not worried about looking too tactical around my area and my main plan would be to get to my BOL via car, but if the road is blocked or I run out of gas, I want the ability to hike the rest of the way if need be.

The RUSH 24 weighs 4.2lb
The RUSH 72 weighs 5.5lb (Leaning more towards purchasing the 72)
The RUSH bags are VERY durable and nice. Probably the toughest backpacks I've ever had. I have the RUSH 72 right now and have used it to go back and forth to work to basically have my BOB along with my laptop bag all in one. That being said, the 72 is plenty big for a lot of things. You might want to take a look just to see if the 24 isn't enough space for you. Bottom line though, if you don't use the space, you don't have to use the space and at least you DO have extra room for adding other things to your backpack. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 AM

Your age will give you the answer.
Besides, it's always better to pack light. You may need to go further than planned.