Storage failure, what a mess - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting article about compressed air energy storage txprep Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 05-27-2018 08:16 AM
Which and how many tools should you have? pengyou DIY - Do It Yourself 22 04-15-2018 08:42 PM
Long Term Storage For Fuel Yehudi General Discussion 37 04-06-2018 09:32 AM
necessary hand tools? justin22885 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 108 03-18-2018 06:49 PM
Beware of Home Storage Precious Metals IRAs Preppers Best Financial Forum 7 04-23-2017 09:33 PM

Old 11-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default Storage failure, what a mess

Advertise Here

I was just down cellar and found a wicked mess. I had a case of ginger ale, cardboard box wrapped in heavy plastic, on the concrete floor. Must have been a chemical reaction as every can had leaked. Of course it leaked under a set of shelves that have several hundred pounds of food in glass jars stored on them. Eww. I also found where several metal cans on the rotater have leaked. Sigh... What a mess. The thing with jars is every now and then a seal goes bad but the mess is contained. None of the metal cans were all that old. I only buy a very few items now so maybe it is time to retire the rotator. I hope the plastic buckets that are directly on the concrete are ok. I have not found any issues previously but this has me concerned. Anyone else have this issue? Details or lessons learned?

Last edited by Cat wrangler; 11-04-2018 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,210 Posts

What is the humidity like in the cellar?

Vertical rotators (wall mount) place the entire column weight load on the lowest cans seals, I have seen those with leaks (also cans can get dropped when loading it damaging the seals). The angled can rotator keeps most of each cans weight unto itself with a cost of a larger footprint.

I have had acidic cans fail on shelves and ruin foods around them. Cans fruits/tomato on bottom, and soft container (papers/box/etc) on top.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Hunter

The humidity can be high, old house. Coolest part of the cellar. I leave windows open as much as is feasible. Next time anything goes on the floor, plywood will go under the item.

I have found if I spray the walls with a peroxide solution and pull the shelves away from the walls I keep mold and mildew at bay. I spray the walls about once a year. Bleach solution does not work as well. It took some research and trial and error for that issue. I do bleach the floor as it kills odors and just smells "clean".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,441 Times in 4,656 Posts

Dang, sorry to hear that! I've lost a few cans in storage here and there but never to that extent. Now that there are only 2 of us -- and neither of us can stomach what the other eats -- rotation is problematic. Still, I feel like it is worth the occasional ruined can as it affords me the opportunity to shop sales and not have to resort to buying anything at full price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:23 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,353 Times in 3,630 Posts

not sure canned ginger ale is suitable for long-term storage. how long did you have it?

thanks for info. maybe some of us can learn from.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,919 Times in 796 Posts

Forget plywood laying on a cement floor. It will draw damp, mildew, then rot. You could use those holed shop mats made of rubber, but simple plywood and stud shelving allowing less can on can stacking and ventilation is the way to go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:49 PM
democrats = Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
Forget plywood laying on a cement floor. It will draw damp, mildew, then rot. You could use those holed shop mats made of rubber, but simple plywood and stud shelving allowing less can on can stacking and ventilation is the way to go.
hm, sounds like the voice of experience...

Old 11-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Thanked 5,958 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
The humidity can be high, old house. Coolest part of the cellar. I leave windows open as much as is feasible. Next time anything goes on the floor, plywood will go under the item.

I have found if I spray the walls with a peroxide solution and pull the shelves away from the walls I keep mold and mildew at bay. I spray the walls about once a year. Bleach solution does not work as well. It took some research and trial and error for that issue. I do bleach the floor as it kills odors and just smells "clean".
Would you mind sharing the mix for your mold spray? Thanks in advanced. LOL
Old 11-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,222 Times in 446 Posts

Please share
Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Hunter

I honestly don't measure. I think the formula is ten to one. I know I mix it stronger, it doesn't hurt. I make sure it is fresh peroxide as that is an item that does have a finite life. It is cheap and really seems to do the job. I bought a big spray bottle and spray until the mold or mildew "disappears" on the cement walls. On wood it seems to help, too. Any mold or mildew ucan leave a stain on wood.

I keep canned ginger ale for the occasional upset stomach. I did not check the date on the wrapper, it went in the trash.

I have shelving but hate to not use the floor space under the shelves. I think I may put some of the cheap floor dollies down there. Air space due to wheels and items off the floor.

I use plywood under my potato bins. If I see mold or mildew, I spray away. So far, the plywood has been going for several years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Target Shooter

Your bleach may be the culprit. Bleach will corrode metal. Are you storing any pool shock
(Calcium Hypochlorite) in the area? If you are it is very corrosive. I personally wont spray bleach around my can goods.
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to jakester101 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,237 Times in 8,105 Posts

Canned soda is only good for 6 months per our delivery man. We are in vending and sell dozens of cases a month.

Acids are horrible, remember the can is just a thin, soft, aluminum.

Better to store a bottle of ginger root capsules - great for upset stomach. You can take it to prevent or treat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,279 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester101 View Post
Your bleach may be the culprit. Bleach will corrode metal. Are you storing any pool shock
(Calcium Hypochlorite) in the area? If you are it is very corrosive. I personally wont spray bleach around my can goods.
Good luck

I was going to suggest the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,791 Times in 19,383 Posts

Skip the canned ginger ale and switch to candied ginger. It lasts almost indefinitely and works just as fast.

Dampness, chlorine, and H2O2 are all conducive to accelerate metal corrosion.

What your basement needs is a good dehumidifier.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 PM

I experienced a similar issue with Coca-Cola product. I contacted the company and they responded informing me that an organic lining is now used on the inside of the aluminum cans. The organic lining has an expected life of six (6) to nine (9) months. Once the organic lining wears out, the aluminum shell is not expected to contain the product. Sorry to hear about the mess.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PowderDreams For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Hunter

No chlorine stored. The mild bleach wash happens once a year and dries before anything goes back. The dehumidifier is on the list but just has not happened yet. Even researched homemade dehumidifiers but that has not resulted in finding anything that sounds very effective.

I have thought about homemade ginger ale. Plastic bottles can decay and may contain chemicals I do not want. It makes sense aluminum cans have changed. I have been keeping ginger ale down cellar for years and some of it has gotten to be two or three years old and was fine. Not this time.

I suspect metal cans have also changed. I store tomato paste as that is one thing I do not make. That seems to have a heavier can and no problems with corrosion. The cans of beans and tomatoes bought on sale do have issues with corrosion. The organic kidney beans come in what seems to a lined metal can and they are fine, too. Come to think of it, anything organic has lasted a long time. Hmmm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,994 Times in 7,106 Posts

We lost some #10 tin cans of food stacked on a pallet (in one of our BOL root cellars) a few years back. 1st time in more than 15 years. The height off the floor & the pattern of the cans that corroded made it fairly obvious what caused the cans to corrode.

Apparently, one of our big BOL dogs wandered into the root cellar when someone was in it doing something. Unseen, the dog must have raised its leg and generously urinated all over the cans stacked on the corner of that one particular pallet.

At least that's what appears to have caused those particular #10 tin cans to corrode/leak.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM
democrats = Hydra

wow.
you think you've prepared for everything...

bad dog! no treat for you
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
We lost some #10 tin cans of food stacked on a pallet (in one of our BOL root cellars) a few years back. 1st time in more than 15 years. The height off the floor & the pattern of the cans that corroded made it fairly obvious what caused the cans to corrode.

Apparently, one of our big BOL dogs wandered into the root cellar when someone was in it doing something. Unseen, the dog must have raised its leg and generously urinated all over the cans stacked on the corner of that one particular pallet.

At least that's what appears to have caused those particular #10 tin cans to corrode/leak.
Were the cans stacked in a manner so as to look like a fire hydrant?
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodchuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,414 Posts

A month or so ago, we found a half dozen cans of evaporated milk had swelled up and burst. Air conditioned area, although these cans may have been there before we started running the AC full time. In fairness, they were from 2013. Made a hack of a mess.

We’ve since purged all evap milk. Have some powdered, but that’s it.

We’ve also had a few tomato products swell the can, but nothing like the mess the milk made. We use wire shelving - picture a wire net so it gets air circulated.

WW

Shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post: