Anybody make cheese like that anymore?? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Day Late and a Dollar Short 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 698 02-23-2019 01:34 PM
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 26 11-07-2018 12:50 PM
Chemistry #1 Skill to have in SHTF? katielyn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37 12-17-2017 03:07 AM
A pantry Thanksgiving dinner in 90 minutes NY Min Recipes 6 11-11-2016 09:15 PM

Old 10-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,067 Times in 354 Posts
Default Anybody make cheese like that anymore??

Advertise Here

as a kid growing up in the midwest (moved to the Dakotas in '79 from upstate NY where i was born) we had some tough times but made it through.

one of my fondest food memories of the 80's was going to get big blocks of , i think it was American, cheese that the government gave out. That was the BEST cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches and cheese for ham or other sandwiches. it was seriously dense and was hard to slice with the cheese slicer.

anybody remember that stuff?!? and more important, is there anything like that being made today?!? just thinking about it makes me hungry.....

thank you!

EDIT to add: shoulda also asked if it comes in a brick like it used to, but even if i can find a bag of slices, itll take me back to yesteryear.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Midwest Born

Yes it was good. The closest I have found is deluxe American cheese. Several folks make it and Walmart's brand isn't band. But it's not cheap. Go figure
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,065 Posts

Once when I was a kid my grandmother had some of that government cheese that was so sharp you couldn't make it edible even as grilled cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,663 Times in 1,129 Posts

the stuff we got was so salty it was inedible. threw it out
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,546 Times in 6,349 Posts

The commodity canned pork was good as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,712 Posts

Cooper American cheese is what we used on board ship for grilled cheese, omlets, sandwiches, etc. Comes in both yellow and white, normally in 10 pound bricks for commercial food service.

We buy at Weiss Markets or Food Lion in the deli section and get it sliced as we like.

https://www.coopercheese.com/

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cooper-american-cheese

You can also buy it from Amazon or Walmart, Wegmans, or the Penn State Creamery:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Brand-.../dp/B00DE0V5EI

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Sh...-5-Lb/15136820
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,711 Times in 19,051 Posts

People have claimed Sam's club...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
People have claimed Sam's club...
Sam's Club is owned by Walmart and carries Cooper cheese.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,752 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Sam's Club used to have it. Up until just a few months ago and they switched brands. The new stuff looked the same so I bought it hoping it was. It's not. The original was Bakers and Chefs, and was available in 5 pound loafs or sliced for about $2 a pound. The new stuff is something like Chef's Choice or whatever. Not the same thing, but still better than the sandwich slices in the store.

I see that they have now dropped the new brand also and went with their Member's Mark brand. Typically, their brand is never as good as what it replaced. But they may be rebranding the original cheese. I still have a few pounds left, so I'm not going to try it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Yep. Commodity cheese. It was the best. I've never found it again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,547 Times in 19,312 Posts

Internet discussions point primarily to to two brands that taste closest.

Land O' Lakes Easy Melt American and Field American Slices.

But you can never truly get a duplicate because of what happened with the government.

The "government cheese" time was the excess from a 1981 farm subsidy that went awry. Dairy farmers went crazy to make as much money from the government as fast as they could. But for a time the government was stuck sitting on it. Both at home and abroad the government tried to peddle it to get some money back. So it sat in cold warehouses so long until some USDA people were saying to dump it in the ocean. Fortunately the government had mandated strong export packaging.

Reagan finally caved in and released it to the food stamp program. By then the cheese had aged a lot and become sharper and saltier. So even if it is the same recipe it would taste blander unless they were willing to age it. I'm not surprised that some people compare to those sharp American versions a few companies sell today.

The government commodity recipe is far older than the 80's. Since WW2 there has been a standard, but up until the 80's general release it was used just for the military and public schools. But the stuff was normally rotated out faster. The government has been buying it for 70 years to take care of its own needs and to add stability to the dairy industry revenue. It is still bought and stored by the CCC (Commodity Credit Corporation), but at that time in the 80's they had hit a 250 thousand metric tons of excess in cheese holdings. That was several pounds of cheese for every American.

As a side note, it seems that the government is again facing a massive surplus of cheese. Over twice as much as we had stored in the 80's. But back then the release was due to public pressure from liberals trying to shame Reagan for his social welfare cutbacks. These days the liberals have turned to new weapons to shame with.

But who knows, we may just see the blocks going out again if the USDA starts complaining it has no room like back then.

I'm just hoping for the government to issue instructions on how to safely age big blocks of cheese in my fridge.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,067 Times in 354 Posts

thanks everybody!1 and Iamzeke, thank you for the history lesson! i figured it was from the dairy subsidies but now its great to know more of the story
The Following User Says Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,981 Times in 2,672 Posts

My memories of government cheese go way back before the 80's. Try the late 50's. We bought it in the military commissary in 10 pound blocks. Potatoes, Spam and cheese played a big part of my childhood diet because raising 6 kids on a tech-sgt. pay wasn't easy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 06:28 PM
SoJer

Thanked 2,721 Times in 902 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjohn View Post
...one of my fondest food memories of the 80's was going to get big blocks of , i think it was American, cheese that the government gave out....anybody remember that stuff?!? ..
Yep, I too, was a NY native (before we moved to Kalifornia when I was 4-ish..) and, although these memories are from Age 3-4 (talkin like '71-72, here..) I vividly remember that cheese.. We got "Co-op" peanut butter (..which I Also vividly remember being like eating the side of an Oak tree.. in 5 Gal buckets, and that Glorious Block of Golden Wonder...

...It was early motivation for wanting to become an Astronaut (..until we moved to Cali, and the Fireman-bug took hold, and that was the end of That..

..Ah, good memories..
jd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
My memories of government cheese go way back before the 80's. Try the late 50's. We bought it in the military commissary in 10 pound blocks. Potatoes, Spam and cheese played a big part of my childhood diet because raising 6 kids on a tech-sgt. pay wasn't easy.
I suspect it is still sold by base commissaries. Anyone with retired military card access should be able to find it.

Most base commissaries sell MRE's as well.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,146 Posts

I ran across this for aging cheese.
https://cooking.stackexchange.com/qu...-bought-cheese
I have been waiting for a sale for tillamok block cheddar cheese. It does not have a wax package but the plastic wrapping is different and seems better than most cheese.
Wrap package in 2 layers of foil then newspaper. Store on cool shelf 3-9 months. Fridge is too cold, wine cooler is about right temperature but cool shelf works. not a government approved method but several people have been doing this for years. Not a copy of government cheese, for aging cheddar to make a sharper product. doing this with other cheeses was not recommended.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Target Shooter

Never had any of the guberment cheese but remember the time frame.
The best tasting cheese by far I like is https://www.shullsburgcheesestore.com/
I can get it localy at a local supermarket but I need to stop in the cheese store next time I'm in Schullsberg.
Aged cheddar, colby,munster ect , I don't think there is a cheese I don't like...well maybe curds. Nope never warmed up to curds.
If I liked curds I'd be north of the cheddar curtain instead of just south.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoka-hey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I ran across this for aging cheese.
https://cooking.stackexchange.com/qu...-bought-cheese
I have been waiting for a sale for tillamok block cheddar cheese. It does not have a wax package but the plastic wrapping is different and seems better than most cheese.
Wrap package in 2 layers of foil then newspaper. Store on cool shelf 3-9 months. Fridge is too cold, wine cooler is about right temperature but cool shelf works. not a government approved method but several people have been doing this for years. Not a copy of government cheese, for aging cheddar to make a sharper product. doing this with other cheeses was not recommended.
I have an old college dorm fridge in the garage I could adjust the temp on.

Set it to 50 and then toss the block in until it hits the best-by date.

You can buy these blocks cheap enough that a total failure is still less money than a 12 pack of beer.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Hmm. I usually buy kirkland cheese, about 25lbs at a time, which lasts me several months in my cold room, I never particularly noticed an aging effect but it was always in the original plastic and its usually below 50.

Quote:
But you can never truly get a duplicate because of what happened with the government.
That is a fascinating story. The time fits the period when my family was getting commodity cheese.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Hmm. I usually buy kirkland cheese, about 25lbs at a time, which lasts me several months in my cold room, I never particularly noticed an aging effect but it was always in the original plastic and its usually below 50.
Reading about the proper aging of cheese tell that plastic isn't the right coating, but in the 80's that's what happened. But then again they say the semisoft cheeses aren't good for aging. Perhaps in this one case the plastic works and works on American. By rights this shouldn't have happened the way it did in the 80's to change the taste, but it did. I don't have the answers on how it happened then but I've got a mini fridge and this cheese isn't expensive. I'm game to test it.

Quote:
That is a fascinating story. The time fits the period when my family was getting commodity cheese.
I suspect every who went to public school or the military since WW2 has had it, but in fresher form.

The 80's was the big public dumping.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: