Two Bits Garden Adventures - Page 48 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1303 11-09-2019 11:23 AM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 09:56 PM
Starter Raised Bed Garden cajun tugster Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 26 10-23-2017 07:08 AM
NectarNook's 2017 Garden, zone 5a NectarNook Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 03-20-2017 07:33 AM
Mountain Valley Canned Garden Seeds (16 Varieties) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-24-2017 09:45 AM

Old 09-22-2019, 02:51 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,876 Times in 2,821 Posts

Advertise Here

Have you had this happen to you?

I grew stuttgarter onions last year, and they kept so well, I decided to replant a few for the seed. They grew, bloomed, and I saved the seed heads. Well today, thinking about planting those seeds, I went looking for them.

Ahhhhhhhh, the seeds had sprouted in the container. Looked like tofu. And they were mush. Shucks!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,719 Times in 2,782 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Sounds like the seeds weren't dry enough when you stored them, or there was some dampness in the container. I'm kind of cringing to think about the state of a lot of my seeds. Had them stored in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids in the greenhouse. Wind came and blew the greenhouse away, and left my seed buckets sitting outside (they had been in my spare room originally, but had to relocate them when daughter and her husband moved into the spare room while their old house got removed and the new house put in. They're still there, waiting for everything to be finished before they can move in), and it's Monsoon season here, so lots of rain. At least one of those gamma seal lids has a crack, so I'm a bit concerned, but at least the seeds are in plastic containers in the buckets.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 PM
patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Sounds like the seeds weren't dry enough when you stored them, or there was some dampness in the container.
Oh yal, they aren't dry. They were supposed to dry out for planting. I don't store seeds for afterlife. I try to plant every few years. Many people will get a big surprise when those seeds doesn't sprout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 07:40 PM
patriarch

We finally got rain. Didn't even hardly settle the dust. Bug in the rain gauge didn't have to swim.

But I did get one of my gardens cleaned off & 2/3rds of it tilled. I planted 3 short rows of Porcelain garlic. Right around 50 cloves. I plant the cloves app. 12" apart & 6" deep.
We usually get a frost around the 1st -2nd week of October,maybe not this year. So, I went ahead & dug my sweet potatoes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 PM
patriarch

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM
patriarch

Do you remember when I converted a small chest freezer to a cooler? Well, it's still working, just like it should. Knowing that deer season is coming, I installed a small fan to circulate the air. I know from experience of owning a walk-in cooler, that a fan running continuously will keep the temperatures even and also other technical reasons. It will also cool fresh meat quicker.
I have included some links for the gadgets that I'm using.

Re: post #780
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...423569&page=39

https://www.ebay.com/i/362674707610?...SABEgLTf_D_BwE

https://www.grainger.com/product/2RT...g!437083570253!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 PM
patriarch

So, you might say these electronic gadgets are expensive. But, if you have "people" friends and enemies alike, you can just about find anything for nothing. Or barter, if you like.
Most electronic gadgets like these come from huge electric panels. Many cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. But ever so often, these panels do wear out and /or upgrades are requested. The old panels are not renovated, they are sent to the bone yard. Scrap pile.
In these panels are fans, heaters, transformers, timers, relays, starters, circuit breakers, outlets, on & off switches, batteries, solar panels, and the list goes on & on. In combinations of 440 amps, 3 phase, 240 amps, & even 120 amp equipment. Its amazing the engineering that goes into these electric panels. I don't know that much about it, but I got a friend who does. I wish I knew more......
Old 10-10-2019, 08:51 AM
patriarch

The converted cooler is a god send right now. I shot a doe Sunday morning and the meat/quarters are in the cooler. Wow, plenty of room for several more. I need to add shelving for the meat to lay on. You want the air to circulate around the meat.
Beef is hung in a cooler sometimes 10-14 days, a process called ageing. That is not our intent here. We never age deer. But time to process the meat is scarce.
We are busy busy busy. We have two craft shows back to back this weekend and next. The cooler will give us ample time to work it in.
We will debone the meat, clean & remove all the sinew, grind into hamburger.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 AM
patriarch

If anyone wants to enjoy a steam engine show, good food, crafts & a huge flea market, this is the weekend to spend the day at Thresherman's Park, fall steam engine show.

Today, the county school system gives 4 & 5 grade students the tour through a working village. They are making apple butter, cutting & cooking sorghum, running the sawmill, rendering lard, spinning, baking, making ceder shakes, plowing/cultivating with a team, and all the going ons with a pioneer village/farm.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&htivrt=events
Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 PM
patriarch

Some of the knives I've made. I like the weight and feel of a full tang knife. I use scag lawn mower blades and files when I can get them.

A blacksmith knife and food chopper also made from a file.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Prepared

Iím curious about your use of scag mower blades. Is that just what you have available to you or is there some characteristic that you like?
The Following User Says Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 AM
patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Lawyer View Post
I’m curious about your use of scag mower blades. Is that just what you have available to you or is there some characteristic that you like?
Used scag blades is what I have an abundance of at the present time. They are free. The shape is a little crude, but have been working around the disability. The metal works well for me. Would rather have a flatter blade. I need to talk to the local lawn & garden about junk blades. They probably have better blades. I'm not sure how they dispose of their old blades.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Prepared

Ahh I see! I just scrapped a couple and started to think maybe that they could have been useful to someone!
The Following User Says Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 PM
patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Lawyer View Post
Ahh I see! I just scrapped a couple and started to think maybe that they could have been useful to someone!
I had a local gentleman that sells tools & etc at the flea market tell me that since he knows where I live now, he has a bunch of blades he will drop off. I didn't ask what brand.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:29 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,693 Times in 1,937 Posts

You just can't beat "free"!
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 08:35 AM
patriarch

38 degrees here in southern Indiana. Great morning for deer hunting. I'm going to be watching the sorghum making & do a little shopping for old tools. I need to look for wood hammer handles. I seen a hot punch hammer that I've got to go back and get. I had to do a little research to make sure it was what I thought it was. $4 Over hundred venders, can get a little overwhelming.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 PM
patriarch

Well, we're right on schedule. We deboned the deer today. It took us about 5 hours. You might say, why so long? Well, we remove all the fat, tendons, & sinew that we can. Right at 30 pounds, it's ready to grind. I will coarse grind, then add 20 percent pork butt, then grind again. Wrap & freeze.
I seems that almost every deer totals up to about 30-45 pounds once its done. I've not gotten around to weighing the whole deer, but its amazing how much the entrails, head, & skin weighs. I would almost bet that there is 70% waste.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:14 PM
patriarch

Tell me, how do you wrap meat for the freezer?
We have found that if we wrap meat with film/plastic wrap first, then insert the package into a freezer bag, it will keep much longer than any other method we have tried.

On this same subject, does your 1/2 bucket of ice cream get freezer burnt? We lay a piece of film wrap in on the ice cream before sticking it back into the freezer. This also works for soups, chilies, and frozen leftovers.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,693 Times in 1,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
Tell me, how do you wrap meat for the freezer?
We have found that if we wrap meat with film/plastic wrap first, then insert the package into a freezer bag, it will keep much longer than any other method we have tried.

On this same subject, does your 1/2 bucket of ice cream get freezer burnt? We lay a piece of film wrap in on the ice cream before sticking it back into the freezer. This also works for soups, chilies, and frozen leftovers.
We wrap meat first in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. I can't remember the last time anything got freezer burned.

There's never any ice cream around here except for some sugar-free popsicles and fudgecicles. Too much temptation. But we also do your method for soups, chili, etc and it works well, laying the film right on the surface of the food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Prepared

Plastic wrap then butcher paper. Never had freezer burn and I always have a roast or two left over for the following yearís rut. Gotta have that jerky for all day hunts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post: