Survivalist Forum banner

Waterproof Backpack

11K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  jfountain2 
#1 ·
New user so I'm sure I'm asking a question already discussed, sorry. I'm looking for waterproof (or as close as you can get) backpacks to use as BOB. Has anyone run across items like this? Thanks.

#3 ·
No pack is 100% waterproof. Now, you can make it water resistant through many uses such as using water resistant spray for tents. However, I don't bother with this as I store all my gear in Zip Lock bags which keeps water off my gear and is also submersible.

#6 ·
I have used a medium Alice pack for many years now . You can buy water proofing spray for just about any material . Not to say that a driving downpour will not get sometning wet . i pack all sensitive stuff in a freezer bag in the pack so no problem there .

#8 ·
How much do you want to spend? Arc'Teryx makes some great, fully waterproof backpacks. They also offer cammo and OD variets with MOLLE system through their LEAF (Law Enforecement Armed Forces) line. You can't buy LEAF stuff from them, but you can through some online resellers.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/default.asp

Caution, you could buy one of these, or a 1984 Hyundai Pony. They are not cheap.

#9 ·
water proof

I really like the dry bad idea. Last year I spent 11 days in the alaskan backcountry in an pro pioneer inflatable. All of my gear was inside dry bags and then I packed them in external frame pack. I did go in the drink a couple times with all my gear with me, but everything stayed dry, excluding myself.

#10 ·
Typically I put everything into a U.S. Army wet weather bag, which then goes into my backpack. The wet weather bag needs to be inspected to ensure any holes present are patched. For patching, a strip of duct or gorilla tape has worked for me. Additionally, every thing inside of the bag is then placed in its own dry bag, usually consisting of ziplock freezer bags. Redundancy is the key.

#11 ·
Redundancy and compartmentalization(sp).

Imagine this: It has been raining for a day and a half, and it's time to get into your pack for something. If everything you have is inside one dry bag, then everything you have risks being wet when you open that dry bag. Personally I actually use big ziplock bags inside my dry bag for things I want to really keep dry...

#12 ·
That's the truth barry. I picked this up http://www.cdnninvestments.com/lorapapanewb.html

and have a waterproof duffel bag liner taking up half of it. It's full of ziplock freezer bags containing all the stuff that I don't want wet. The other half of it has a nylon organization bag for other stuff to keep orgainized/stacked in order of important items. I want the main bag itself to breathe. That one has drain holes in case any water gets in there.

#14 ·
Real Drybags are sealable and difficult to hole. Army waterproof bags aren't much better than trash bags. Trash bags can be used as field expedient, but think of it this way, you have your choice of bags, trashbags, whatever. Put the 5 most important/valuable things you have in the bag of your choice and chuck it into a pond. What bag do you want to choose now?

#16 ·
Since most packs aren't waterproof for more than a couple of hours, I always use a waterproof cover if it doesn't stop raining too soon. And I always put my stuff in (strong) garbage bags.

Here's what I mean:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___60809

It's called a backpack raincover. You can get them in several sizes, according to your the size of your backpack. The only thing I don't like about it is that if you want to grab something you have to pull back the cover..but that's not a big problem in my opinion.

Greetings from Holland

#19 ·
There are many dry bag backpacks to choose from, but unless you really "need" it to be a dry bag, you will probably prefer a normal backpack that you pack in a way to keep things dry.

I think "need" is the key and very specific to you. Example, if you were doing a 2 week whitewater rafting trip, you may really need a dry bag, however the part of the time you would need it would be on the raft, and thus the bag being a backpack may not be needed, a normal backpack could be packed in a drybag while stowed on board.

However if you just want one, and I've thought about getting one myself there are quite a few on amazon with good reviews.

One of many examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-...words=dry+bag+backpack&qid=1571535538&sr=8-17

#20 ·
No such thing.

Get a backpack with an integrated rain cover... or buy a separate rain cover.

#24 ·
The OP hasn’t been on the forum since 2009. This thread got bumped to the front because of spammers posting in it. It’s still a good discussion to continue but the op isn’t going to answer any questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.