Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is why these guns are worth $1000... and worth every cent. FerFAL Firearms General Discussion 65 11-25-2018 10:41 PM
What are your ideal guns? Joseph51494 Firearms General Discussion 21 12-17-2017 07:31 PM
Would You Settle for Only Two Guns? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-16-2017 01:00 PM
Watch: The Ten Most Bizarre Guns Ever Made AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-07-2017 12:30 PM
New gun grabber bill in the house Ghost Guns Are Guns Act Kalashnikov47 Political News and Discussion 27 03-18-2017 10:27 AM

Old 12-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,730 Times in 7,429 Posts

Advertise Here

"BB/Pellet guns. What would you use?" I would not use a BB gun. I would not use a pellet gun that required I buy any type of compressed air. That is just something else to stock.

I would pick between .177 and .22 based on what I thought my most common range and conditions would be. I doubt either would be a big mistake.

Keep in mind mostly what you will do is slow the targets down and birds of prey will have a meal. Think of it as feeding the birds.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,744 Times in 774 Posts

Just a friendly reminder; rabies can lay dormant in brain mater prior to the animal showing any symptoms of the disease. As a trapper I have stopped head shootn critters I trap. There are other way to dispatch just non any faster than a head shot. Just food for thought when dealing with critters such an skunk, bobcat or coon in the spring or summer behaving oddly.

Me personally if I was going to buy one of the high powered pellet rifles it would be .357. The pellets are large enough to hunt larger game in an around cities. The air pressure can be turned down for smaller game. Pricey yes an versatile yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Prepared

I never kill raccoons or opossums, but they are both the most common in the havahart when I am trying to get groundhogs. I always set them free. I guess you can get a good shot with an air rifle, but it's easier after it's in the cage with anything. CCI quiet segmented.

But I find the 22 quiet loads quieter and more powerful than air rifles.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Where I used to live I shot 200+ squirrels before I stopped counting. Most were shot with a 20 or 22 caliber pump rifle from Sheridan or Benjimen. Now I don't have a critters except rabbits and the same guns work for those.

I did buy a Beeman branded rifle from WM that came with a 177 and 22 barrels. That rifle has a lot of punch to it. Its break open so no choice on power level like the pumps.

At first I shot it at 22 yards with a 7/16ths thick piece of Wafer Board for a backstop and the 177 pellets went right through it and into my wood fence. That surprised me. I never thought of the 177 as being powerful but that changed my mind. The 22 caliber is even more powerful than the 22. I have no doubts that gun would kill a possum or coon. And it only cost around $130 as best I can remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 631 Posts

After looking at all the posts I did not see that you mentioned effective range?
My first choices for air rifles has been a Benjamin. 177 and a Crosman 2100. Don't laugh at the Crosman, they are accurate and hit hard. Both Crosman and Benjamin are abt 600fps.
I have other higher power air rifles but these are normally my go2.
The pellets I use are the Crosman destroyer 7.4gr, they hit harder and are more accurate than pointed. Even in higher powered rifles the destroyer preforms better, I think it is because of the heavier skirt.
Now after saying all that; Airguns of any real power, even the two mentioned are noisey.
IMO a bolt action .22 with real CB caps or Aquillia primer only 29gr rounds are very likely more stealthy than a airrifle and hit as hard or harder.
If you have a .22 now you should take a ride in the country to test the "special " ammo.
Then still get a airrifle if for no other reason than practice use at home. Give a look to the Crosman, $50.00 well spent and will use BB's and pellets, Benjamin is pellet only.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:13 AM

I bought a RWS 34 22 caliber air rifle, it's a springer. I put a cheap red dot I had on it, and I have been very impressed with it's accuracy. I haven't done any hunting with it, but I have shot numerous birds with it, and at long distance for an air gun. I have no doubt a head shot on a rabbit or squirrel would be deadly.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,195 Posts

FROM Peter Capstick
if you don't know who he is you are missing some GREAT hunting writing on Africa and other places.

The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,208 Times in 5,726 Posts

350- 400 FPS, .177 will kill a rabbit @ 100 '
A friend shot 2 rabbits with my CO2 pistol.
Yes placement matters .
Shoot a grizzly bear in the butt with a .454 and it won't change his mind about eating you.

Pyramid air provides customer reviews on all their guns, and some people can be quite brutal . On the other hand some guns prove to be winners across the board.
Fun thing is there are so many CO2 that are replicant of fire arms only handling can reveal the difference and some are even real automatic .
Pre Charged Pneumatics are the popular gun now sporting .25, .30, .38/.9mm, .45, and .50 cal for serious hunting. and their prices are coming down too being the popularity has more competition .
Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,772 Times in 954 Posts

I've got my Springfield M6 .22/.410 with a Scout scope mounted on it. First time I ever shot a standard target round through that thing, it was so quiet, I broke down the action and looked to make sure the round had cleared the barrel. The hammer falling makes more noise than the round leaving the barrel. I've also got two copper tubed mounts on the sides of the .22/.410 barrel to hold extra rounds of .410 such as flechette rounds, flares, "buckshot", bird shot.. I think that helps deaden the sound of the round as well and makes a decent fore-end grip after I wrapped it all with paracord.

It's not only great for popping varmints, it's one of my grab and go weapons if I have to get out of town..

They also made variations of the .22 barrel to include either .22 Hornet or .22 magnum.. Sadly, I don't think you can bet just the barrels and swap them out for the other variations..
Old 08-08-2019, 10:06 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
My son lives in a sub-division with 2-3 acre lots. Shooting a firearm is against association rules. On the other hand, a pellet gun is completely legal. This is a great reason to own an air gun.

But for Survival reasons.... one can buy a darn good air rifle for under $200 and a few thousand pellets for dollars. When all the ammunition runs out, someone with a pellet gun is still killing small game to eat and survive.

Friend killed a cat killing raccoon with one pellet shot at close range. Shot placement is the key to any hunting. A .22 caliber bullet will drop a deer in its tracks with close well placed head shot. A .22 will drop attackers the same way....

Somethings to remember to remember if SHTF really happens as many predict.....
Old 08-09-2019, 02:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,630 Posts

I bought a pellet gun from Midway for $49.00 that was on sale, A Daisy Powerline 1100. Just picked up 5, 250 packs of pellets day before yesterday. I want one of those cheap Chinese, either break over or lever pull pellet guns. Those guns shoot hard. I am a pellet gun novice I should say!
Old 09-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,018 Posts

this summer I picked up a PCP in .22. I shoot it almost every day. We have/had a ground squirrel issue. Lost most of my fruit crop this year. Most shots are 100 feet or less. I was so impressed that I ordered the same rifle in .177. The .22 rifle was crono's at 945' fps by Pryamyd. Factory list it at 950 fps. The 177 is listed at 1050 fps. Accuracy is great as long as the speed is less that the speed of sound. I also ordered several cartons of projectiles. We have a lot of dove this year. I'm saving them for a time of chaos. The .177 will be excellent for them. I even have a spare scope for it. I found the cheap air rifle scopes to be a really poor choice.