Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stop Talking About Politics BlackSaint11 General Discussion 44 03-02-2018 12:08 AM
Freaky Friday Politics BlasphemousBill Political News and Discussion 0 09-30-2017 10:53 AM
Preaching Politics from the Pulpit Bronzino Religious Discussion 40 01-30-2017 09:45 AM
legitimate politics versus political war deprogramming services Political News and Discussion 1 11-01-2016 02:18 AM

Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,072 Times in 20,542 Posts

Advertise Here

Well, LC has a point. If you elect the right Presidents etc, you might never need those buckets of beans, so lovingly mylared and evacuated.

Focus on keeping your ship of state floating, and you may never need to use that lifeboat.
But of course you should still have a lifeboat.

Political awareness may also give you some warning in advance of a storm.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,694 Times in 13,351 Posts

or at least teach them not to believe the fake weatherman with people just walking behind him.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,807 Times in 5,687 Posts

I hardly ever talk about politics outside of here. This place is somewhat of an echo chamber, but not nearly as bad as every other format out there.

I'd love to focus on something other then politics, but unfortunately it is shoved in my face by the left non-stop. Restaurants, coffee shops, the news, TV shows, late night shows, talking heads, social media, comedy, movies, music, awards shows, company after company, pop stars, athletes, protestors, on and on and on and on and on to the point of nausea. I can't even go to neutral websites to discuss exercise or football without someone going all SJW at some point.

Politics is now the single greatest and most forefront issue because the left wants everything in your life to revolve around conforming to their political views and paying for them.

By comparison, this place is a refreshing alternative view. Though I don't agree with a lot of the simplistic troll like libtard comments and calls to violence. But I see worse on almost every left leaning site I visit too. Sometimes from the owners and content publishers themselves.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,913 Times in 755 Posts

Well, I'm fairly young, but not THAT young and sorry to say, 2016 was the FIRST election I really paid attention to and the first time I voted. Things have just gotten too out of whack for me to ignore or go about my business thinking that everything is just normal. I've stayed engaged and plan on voting this November as well since it appears that contrary to the norm, just about everything that was at stake in 2016 is back up for grabs.

I wouldn't say that this board made me change my ways necessarily, but it did provide a "safe space" so to speak for me to get into discussions and see a lot of different viewpoints. That did help. I don't even WANT to comment or discuss in other forums like news sites. Most are linking to your Facebook account and REAL NAME and that I have already seen cause people problems with their jobs. We SHOULDN'T be in a place where some political comment you make can affect your job, but the reality is that that is indeed the case. So I stay away from there.

I cannot believe things have gotten so nuts. While like I said, I hadn't voted before, it wasn't like I didn't pay attention. And things have gotten so much progressively worse since about 2000 or 2001 it's not even funny. I've even talked to older people- those I know and like my grandparents and they all confirm it. No, times haven't "always been like this" with things getting crazier all the time. They all tell me "something's wrong" or that "it's never been like this before."

That kind of feedback concerns me even more. I do believe we are on the decline as far as the "world empire" type of cycle. It's just a matter of how long that takes or if there are any recoveries before the final spiral down. However, it seems that there are large elements of the public and even current government that are almost seeming EAGER to accelerate that fall. Especially the public. That's a BAD THING. I don't think these people understand what that would mean and how their lives would change.

In any case, it's part of my job as well to do my part and for good or ill, try to help steer this country as best as I can through my small contributions and votes. So I'm doing that now and hoping that we can turn things around.

I have to say that getting a few hundred more per paycheck due to tax cuts and some of the other changes in the economy so far are very encouraging. I also support playing tough with China NOW, while we still can, in order to level the playing field and make them accountable for their bad actions. If we don't do it now, we'll never be able to. That HAS to happen. They've gotten away with stealing intellectual property and other items for long enough. The strategy of just giving them whatever they want in the hopes that capitalism would change them somehow is obviously not working. Time to equal the rules and let them play with the big boys.

Thanks to everyone here for your opinions, your arguments ( ), and for still being around whether you agree or disagree. It's been a great past few years!
Old 10-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,903 Times in 1,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post
Well, I'm fairly young, but not THAT young and sorry to say, 2016 was the FIRST election I really paid attention to and the first time I voted. Things have just gotten too out of whack for me to ignore or go about my business thinking that everything is just normal. I've stayed engaged and plan on voting this November as well since it appears that contrary to the norm, just about everything that was at stake in 2016 is back up for grabs.

I wouldn't say that this board made me change my ways necessarily, but it did provide a "safe space" so to speak for me to get into discussions and see a lot of different viewpoints. That did help. I don't even WANT to comment or discuss in other forums like news sites. Most are linking to your Facebook account and REAL NAME and that I have already seen cause people problems with their jobs. We SHOULDN'T be in a place where some political comment you make can affect your job, but the reality is that that is indeed the case. So I stay away from there.

I cannot believe things have gotten so nuts. While like I said, I hadn't voted before, it wasn't like I didn't pay attention. And things have gotten so much progressively worse since about 2000 or 2001 it's not even funny. I've even talked to older people- those I know and like my grandparents and they all confirm it. No, times haven't "always been like this" with things getting crazier all the time. They all tell me "something's wrong" or that "it's never been like this before."

That kind of feedback concerns me even more. I do believe we are on the decline as far as the "world empire" type of cycle. It's just a matter of how long that takes or if there are any recoveries before the final spiral down. However, it seems that there are large elements of the public and even current government that are almost seeming EAGER to accelerate that fall. Especially the public. That's a BAD THING. I don't think these people understand what that would mean and how their lives would change.

In any case, it's part of my job as well to do my part and for good or ill, try to help steer this country as best as I can through my small contributions and votes. So I'm doing that now and hoping that we can turn things around.

I have to say that getting a few hundred more per paycheck due to tax cuts and some of the other changes in the economy so far are very encouraging. I also support playing tough with China NOW, while we still can, in order to level the playing field and make them accountable for their bad actions. If we don't do it now, we'll never be able to. That HAS to happen. They've gotten away with stealing intellectual property and other items for long enough. The strategy of just giving them whatever they want in the hopes that capitalism would change them somehow is obviously not working. Time to equal the rules and let them play with the big boys.

Thanks to everyone here for your opinions, your arguments ( ), and for still being around whether you agree or disagree. It's been a great past few years!
Well said young man!
We also need to engage others and point out the truth and facts. We have a local Democrat add running constantly here and it is of course a huge lie. Where ever I am I state the truth and facts of the add. I often get dirty looks from the libtards but I'm sick of all the lies and distortions!
He won by 17 points last term and the inundating Democrat adds on this run have him down to 3. The Democrats are spending huge amounts of money! Wonder where it comes from...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stroo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,761 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
To the contrary, politics IS survivablity. Politics = war and oppression. War has been the LEADING cause of human created NEED for survival skills thru war and oppression.

Between probably 1900 and 1970, probably 200,000,000 humans died directly due to politics. They were either enslaved or murdered by their own governments, or sent to wars created by their governments.

Politics also leads to freedom or restrictions (wood burning stove bans, bans on gathering drainage water, bans on hunting, bans on guns, changes in self defense rights like Europe, bans on certain vehicles, food and drug administration rules, medical laws, etc.). Another big one is national DEBT. We are buried in DEBT. Like $200,000 per tax payer. That is crippling. Another issue is crime and immigration. If a survivalist doesn't think crime/immigration impacts his/her survivable rate, he's naive. That is a direct threat (crime) and indirect threat (job theft, tax benefit theft, downward pressure on wages, etc.) to the average American. All of this, and more, is directly due to politics and directly impacts the survivalist.

Being oblivious doesn't help. Sticking ones' head in the sand doesn't help.

A survivalist thinking his cabin in the woods, or 10 oz of gold and 1000 rounds of ammo and deer rifle, or his bug out bag and gerber multi-tool, or his 3 chickens and row of corn, is delusional when it comes to REAL survivability.

A survivalist MUST be dialed in on politics and be active, informed, and vote, vote, vote to prevent the travesty seen in the 20th Century. Being proactive to politics will ideally prevent the NEED to survive SHTF.
I agree with that. And that's the very reason the political section exists. My point is that there are plenty of political websites out there. This is not one of them. But it's fast becoming one, to the detriment of the site's main focus of preparedness.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Mike, I am glad you posted this.

Political discussions attract quite a lot of people who like to argue for the sake of arguing. In the wider population, most people avoid discussing politics with strangers, because political discussion can turn ugly and it is very unlikely that anyone will change another persons point of view (making the whole effort a bit futile).

If the people you mention who are just here for the politics just stayed in that section of the forum, then that part of the boards could be avoided by those who are here to talk about prepping and survivalism. But unfortunately:

1) The general discussion section is also mostly politics - presumably because the politics focussed members regard talking politics as a general discussion.
2) The people here for the politics, sometimes stray into the survival related parts of the boards and try to turn discussions there into arguments (just because it is in their nature and that is the style of interaction they want).

It does make interactions on the boards harder for those of us who are mostly here to talk about survivalism.

There is no way to know how many people visit these boards looking for discussions about survivalism and then leave when they see how much of the discussion is just about politics.
I've seen plenty of that too. That's the reason I made the post. You can't have a discussion anywhere on the site, about anything, without someone politicizing it. I saw a thread about a wildcat attack turned into a blame the libs session. Or a medical thread turned into an argument about immigrant policy.

One of my friends who left the site said it best. He said this used to be a genuine survivalist website, but now it's just another news and politics site.

As Leadcouncel said, being aware is an important part of survival. But if we let it take over the site, we lose the most important aspect of this site. As members, we need to remember the original goal of this site.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
I know what Mikek is saying. And I tend to agree with him on this , and I am just as guilty has everyone else , having witnessed wrol/shtf scenarios first hand , politics is huge. The old saying an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure etc. comes to mind. Or we can ignore politics altogether and put our bug out/bug in plans , BOB/INCH bags and weapons choices to the test for real . JMHO and S/FI!
You contribute all over the site. We have more and more people who only focus on news and politics, and have never posted anywhere else. If they have no interest in survival, why are they here in the first place.

I agree that being informed is hugely important. But considering this is a survival site, it's a matter of balance. That's my only issue here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,848 Times in 2,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
As members, we need to remember the original goal of this site.
Not trying to be a wise-ass, but didn't the original goal morph into being a commercial success when the site was sold to a Canadian corporation? The political discussion brings eyes to the site and those eyes equate to impressions for the advertisers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortminder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

So, other sites have as much archive and current discussion on "genuine" survival topics?

Simply clicking on User CP will take a user to only the threads they have been commenting on. No other clutter. No new political stories. If their are, then that is on them for already participating in such threads.

If a user want's to find a new survival post, then yes, they may have to go to "Today's Posts" and plow through all the Political, Jokes, ManMade Hoxes, and Woman's only posts to find new stuff on survival.

All the above sections also have their own dedicate sections, and the Mods do a very good job at keeping the different forums clean.

It may also be that there is less hyper activity in the survival threads because many believe that we have backed up a few steps from Armageddon. It is human nature to wait and plan too late for a disaster.

So, this is a good time to give a call out to all those on the Gulf Coast who are about to be killed by Hurricane Michael.

BTW: Half the discussion on Hurricane Michael will have to be moved to the political thread. Wind speeds can stay in the disaster section, but comments on the Media's handling of the pending gloom and doom, just weeks after we lost the state of S. Carolina, and how last years hurricane cased destruction P.R.'s Electrical grid for at least the two decades preceding the storm. (Oh, many discussions on Wind speeds that are tied to climate change will also have to be moved to this section).

Meanwhile, users can choose what they want to click on. A large political section is not a valid excuse to leave the survivalist resources at SurvivalistBoards.com.

I would, however, agree that the Mods that we have did not sign up to moderate LeftVsRightBoards.com. We do need to keep that in mind and try not to make their job any harder than it needs to be.

On the same token, I'm not sending in any VIP funds because of the Political sections and certainly not the threads that malign American with ignorance in some of the conspiracy threads. I do provide financial support to keep the survive and preppier resources online.

How about tip threads. Is this a valid Survivalist Thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
Primary Arms...

Anderson stipped lowers...

Go!

https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson...eiver-ar-15-a3
BTW: The price is now at $39.95 and I liked a few at Primary Arms better. (They may also be trying to do a stock dump to deal with their current weather induced adverse economy).

Time to repeal the 17th.

Last edited by 9111315; 10-08-2018 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: P.S. Please read every reference to Mods as "Thank you MikeK and the rest."
Old 10-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 17,772 Times in 4,740 Posts
Talking

Quote:
You contribute all over the site. We have more and more people who only focus on news and politics, and have never posted anywhere else. If they have no interest in survival, why are they here in the first place.

I agree that being informed is hugely important. But considering this is a survival site, it's a matter of balance. That's my only issue here.
I wish I could put 100 thanks to this.

i got my general ham license due to the guys i hung with on the commo threads. i learned heck of a lot reading the ammo reloading discussions, not to mention the best long term food storage techniques over in the food and general sections. I havent hit those sections in a long time because i am fairly squared away now but still always room for improvement (and more ammo ).

When guys come on this site and post only in the political section, saying they have been around 10 years but never one post during that time makes my troll sonar start pinging. We dont really need that kind of input on this site JMO. There are other Political forums that they can troll their little hearts out.

PS I am not worried about being in a political "echo chamber" because if TV news is on ANYWHERE in range of your hearing, you get all the leftist counterbalance lies you can adsorb. This site should be PRIMARILY a survivalist site, I totally agree, with a healthy political section for those who are survivalists first. Kick the others to the curb Mike
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,232 Times in 7,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
The dismissive nature of your second alternative proves my point. You clearly have a low opinion of survivalism and those serious about it here on the SB. That is a bit ironic.

Many of those that post almost entirely in the political section/ about politics cannot participate in a discussion without fitting many of the characteristics of a troll (ie more stirring up others than anything else).

Let me ask you a question:

Do you think your political discussions, that you spend a lot of your time posting here, make any difference to the overall political climate or out come of politics in your nation? Because, after all, you have chosen this place above others to conduct these discussions because it is a bit of an echo chamber. If you really wanted to change things, you would spend you time trying to change the views of those on the other side.

So you are the one with your head buried in the sand.....

At least my prepping does achieve something significant that does exist in the real world.

I can see and touch the results of my time here - can you say the same?
I'm not being dismissive, I'm speaking the truth. There's no other single topic on this forum that more directly impacts YOUR survivability.

Yes, I do think minds are changed. Mine was. I was a naive young man who was blessed to have a couple conservative co-workers who educated me with a counter point, and meanwhile I was disgusted with Bill Clinton's behavior. When other smart people explain the logic/rational view and show the hypocrisy of the left, it DOES change minds.

Among the trending topics, on the first few pages, most of it is fluff.

The Kavanaugh thread in one month generated 83,200 views and 4000+ posts. Or nearly 3000 views daily.

The 2016 election thread alone - 1 thread - generated 113,000 views in just a couple days.

The Politics section generates MASSIVE traffic. I've venture it's probably the most visited section on the forum. I have no figures to support that, just eyeballing the various sections. It's in the top for sure.

And even if it's just a "echo chamber" I learn a lot from other Conservatives here, and gain confidence and strength to keep up the fight. Otherwise it gets pretty lonely when 95% of the media tells us we are the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
There are WAY more readers of SB than there are posters. Threads like this one get the word out.

The politics thread IS REAL WORLD survivability. Our nation was and is teetering on becoming Venezuela. Bernie Sanders and other socialists were using it as the MODEL for where we should go just a few years ago...

That is TERRIFYING. Your property confiscated, our money worthless, your rights gone...

Most of this forum is fluff. Bigfood. The Walking Dead. AK v. AR. Get your fish antibiotics. And so forth. None of that is going to make much difference in the real world.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
Not trying to be a wise-ass, but didn't the original goal morph into being a commercial success when the site was sold to a Canadian corporation? The political discussion brings eyes to the site and those eyes equate to impressions for the advertisers.
It's been a business for many years before the Canadian corp. Most large sites are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Politics has a lot to do with being prepared. Politicians will probably be the reason we will need to hunker down. If Hilary had won, I'm pretty sure that by the end of 4 years we wouldn't be discussing being prepared, we would be living on what we had done.

The communists have said that they will destroy capitalism not by war but from within. We were right on the knifes edge in the last general election.
Bingo.

In a healthy America, Americans survive disasters all the time; fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. We are united, we band together, FEMA steps in, and folks rebuild. No external enemy or force can defeat the USA.

In a divided America, or one with crippling debt, angry rioters, eroded rights, weakened military, confused gender roles, racial/sex division, etc. we cannot survive. A divided house will fall.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
I've seen plenty of that too. That's the reason I made the post. You can't have a discussion anywhere on the site, about anything, without someone politicizing it. I saw a thread about a wildcat attack turned into a blame the libs session. Or a medical thread turned into an argument about immigrant policy.

One of my friends who left the site said it best. He said this used to be a genuine survivalist website, but now it's just another news and politics site.

As Leadcouncel said, being aware is an important part of survival. But if we let it take over the site, we lose the most important aspect of this site. As members, we need to remember the original goal of this site.
Well, conversely, I would be curious to see if this site has grown overall or shrunk due to politics.

In all seriousness, there's only so many times you can discuss best chicken feed, or how to gather rain water, or how to make a garden bed. It's useful, but I'd venture the growth of this forum is largely due to politics. Apparently a lot of people think Politics is Survival.

It's interesting, it's ever changing, it's a real threat to survival, etc.

Anyway, didn't intend on a debate. Just wanted to give a shout out to that section of this forum. I find it to be the most useful and related to survivability.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 03:14 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Some survival resources, such as wells or rain collection, cannot be discussed without consideration of local ordinances. That brings politics into even hard core topics.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9111315 View Post
Some survival resources, such as wells or rain collection, cannot be discussed without consideration of local ordinances. That brings politics into even hard core topics.
Yup, I mentioned that before. The politics of "climate change" and "EPA" rules has restricted a lot of "freedom" of the survivalists.

Bans on wood stoves and burn ban timeframes. Lots of locations have total bans, or restrict types of stoves to new EPA approved, it's a crime to sell or use old ones, and/or restrictions on when to burn.

Bans on collecting rain water.

Politics relates to bans on types of hunting, locations of hunting, caliber of hunting weapon, type of hunting weapon, taking roadkill, introduction or restriction on various animals, hunting licenses, fishing restrictions, fishing licenses, etc.

And on and on. It invades every part of our lives.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,913 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Well, conversely, I would be curious to see if this site has grown overall or shrunk due to politics.

In all seriousness, there's only so many times you can discuss best chicken feed, or how to gather rain water, or how to make a garden bed. It's useful, but I'd venture the growth of this forum is largely due to politics. Apparently a lot of people think Politics is Survival.

It's interesting, it's ever changing, it's a real threat to survival, etc.

Anyway, didn't intend on a debate. Just wanted to give a shout out to that section of this forum. I find it to be the most useful and related to survivability.
I don't think you can discuss survival and especially survival in the face of different causes of "SHTF" WITHOUT dipping into politics, at least periodically. It's just going to come up. I agree there needs to be balance. But if I search on specific survival topics, I usually come up with a number of threads that just have that information in them. Maybe a bit of politics. Then there are the threads that have a lot of politics in them.

I just don't think you can get rid of the politics even if you wanted to. And I bet as well that the politics have been at least SOMEWHAT of a draw factor to the site.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,235 Times in 5,594 Posts

Poo Pooing Politics is suspect in these times we are living through .
Old 10-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Quote:
Yup, I mentioned that before. The politics of "climate change" and "EPA" rules has restricted a lot of "freedom" of the survivalists.

Bans on wood stoves and burn ban timeframes. Lots of locations have total bans, or restrict types of stoves to new EPA approved, it's a crime to sell or use old ones, and/or restrictions on when to burn.

Bans on collecting rain water.

Politics relates to bans on types of hunting, locations of hunting, caliber of hunting weapon, type of hunting weapon, taking roadkill, introduction or restriction on various animals, hunting licenses, fishing restrictions, fishing licenses, etc.

And on and on. It invades every part of our lives.
I need water. The county won't issue a permit to drill a well.

Please tell me how I can drill a well illegally. Opps. That would be against forum rules.

Um, What do I do. What can I do.

Answers:
a ) Check if local laws allow for collection of roof run-off water.
b ) Join a political party and get the laws changed.

Both solutions seem to be political.

Why is that?

[Thread now has to be moved to political section]

[Suggest starting a second thread about individual rights]

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post: