What do you do when sick? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sick of Quicken PalmettoTree Financial Forum 6 07-11-2018 12:24 PM
Would God forgive a sinner who cant repent? Jane7 Religious Discussion 61 02-27-2018 09:57 PM
My tomatoes always get sick! Help! Shareef Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 01-27-2018 11:42 PM
Anybody sick with cold/flu/etc. over the holidays? Fillzee General Discussion 20 01-01-2018 11:56 AM

Old 10-05-2018, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,715 Times in 1,642 Posts

Advertise Here

Rest...water...comfort food....couch....tv.

Doing it now...I have a bad chest cold.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018, 06:19 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,904 Times in 20,499 Posts

So, I'm sure you have decided by now that learning to talk like a pirate is the best use of your down time.

A translator to help you on your journey.

http://pirate.monkeyness.com/online_pirate_translator

http://speakpirate.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,760 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Alcohol kills germs. Might make ya feel better also.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,428 Times in 2,778 Posts

When your sick,sleep and rest and stay hydrated. Worrying about wasted time is inconsequential.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,075 Times in 3,472 Posts

I just read through this thread and it's making me feel sick! I'm going to take a nap!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,326 Times in 3,542 Posts

update: I got more sick, I think maybe I have the flu?! Too early in the season and I don't know how I got it, but I now seem to have a temperature and feel really bad, plus upset stomach on top of the earlier cold symptoms. YUCK!! SO...now I am just in bed ...watched Netflix until our data for the month ran out ( it gets REALLY slow then) and slept
Old 10-05-2018, 09:23 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,904 Times in 20,499 Posts

10 take tablespoon Elderberry syrup
20 eat big steaming bowl chicken stew, w/celery and rice. W/coffee
30 hot bath
40 bedrest.
50 N=N+1
60 If N <7 Goto 10
70 print "All better, Resume normal Run mode"
80 Exit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

You asked if people really go to the doctor for a “cold”.
Yes, for some people a “cold” can kill them.

When I get sick enough that I simply cannot focus at work and I have to stay home I usually lay around and listen to music at a low volume and that’s about it.
It stinks.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Target Shooter

Do I go to a doctor for a cold? No, but if I am so sick that I cannot go to work, and I cannot take time off from said work because they only allow 5 unauthorized "sick" days per year, well then I will have no choice but to see a physician, because I will need a doctors' note to return to work, and still have a job to return to. So yeah, 3 days off means a doctor, who says " Rest and acetaminophen." Then I get the bill for $249 for office visit, which is below my yearly family deductible of $6500.
Yep. I am actually dealing with it right now; stayed home on Monday.
" ......You can keep your doctor!". I'd rather make a NEW DEAL.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogo49 View Post
Do I go to a doctor for a cold? No, but if I am so sick that I cannot go to work, and I cannot take time off from said work because they only allow 5 unauthorized "sick" days per year, well then I will have no choice but to see a physician, because I will need a doctors' note to return to work, and still have a job to return to. So yeah, 3 days off means a doctor, who says " Rest and acetaminophen." Then I get the bill for $249 for office visit, which is below my yearly family deductible of $6500.
Yep. I am actually dealing with it right now; stayed home on Monday.
" ......You can keep your doctor!". I'd rather make a NEW DEAL.
Did you ever ask the doctor what their cash fee is?

When I had to do what you have to do I paid my family doctor $45 for a “consultation”, or $50 to the Urgent Care or $35 to my chiropractor.

By getting creative you should be able to find a much cheaper way to miss a day of work than using insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Target Shooter

You know, that is a good idea, but the Medical Syndicate is SO large, I doubt that that is even an option. Besides, without knowing the doctors' cut of the billing amount, why would he even do that? He would be hurting his own bottom line, even though I bet the doctors' cut from a $200 visit is probably less than $50. The provider and doctor make SO MUCH billing the insurance company, its a nice LEGAL racket they have going, and I will never upset their game.
Why is " someone" billed $ 200 to see an MD for 2-3 minutes and ultimately get no real professional input from said MD? So I see a bill for $ 200, my insurance pays $50; I pay $150. For what? Ultimately, NOTHING.
I do not even understand how it all works- I'm an electrician, not a paralegal, so I guess my little brain will never know, huh?
My point is- I cannot miss more than 3 days of work without a doctors' note, which I have not had to do yet. But when the Company does not trust or believe its employees,.......
Old 10-06-2018, 08:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,280 Times in 826 Posts

Listen to podcasts, there are some great ones

https://medium.com/the-mission/the-2...o-ccf98527bdda

BBC has a great selection to, from comedy to documentarys to History

"witness" is 9 minute tales of moments in history important and not so important told by people that were there. heres one on 2 guys who raised a lion cub in the 60's.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00j0kz1

and there is 50 things that made the modern economy. The one of barb wire is a good taster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0564q9t
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbersawz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 01:50 AM
Any Time, Any Place

Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,045 Posts

I SUCK IT UP and continue to do what I normally do. I don't complain about it on public media. If its really bad I get Steroid Injections in my Veins, don't sleep and Fack Shat Up. But Im a Guy. Think Ill pass another kidney stone.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,117 Posts

I get sick once every two years or so. If it’s bad enough that I can’t get off the couch, It will keep my down for at least 4 or 5 days. That means I miss work. Go to doctor on day 2 or three, pay $50 co-pay office visit and get work release slip to use for FMLA to cover 5 days of missed work. Full pay, and attendance (the important thing) covered.

In the past I’ve bought a couple hundred dollars in coin rolls, or even a grand or more, from the bank. I look for silver dimes or half dollars, wheat pennies, war nickels, or even error coins. Keeps me busy for a while. One of my favorite activities when I have some down time.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resto View Post
I SUCK IT UP and continue to do what I normally do. I don't complain about it on public media. If its really bad I get Steroid Injections in my Veins, don't sleep and Fack Shat Up. But Im a Guy. Think Ill pass another kidney stone.

tough guy , huh?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
I get sick once every two years or so. If it’s bad enough that I can’t get off the couch, It will keep my down for at least 4 or 5 days. That means I miss work. Go to doctor on day 2 or three, pay $50 co-pay office visit and get work release slip to use for FMLA to cover 5 days of missed work. Full pay, and attendance (the important thing) covered.

In the past I’ve bought a couple hundred dollars in coin rolls, or even a grand or more, from the bank. I look for silver dimes or half dollars, wheat pennies, war nickels, or even error coins. Keeps me busy for a while. One of my favorite activities when I have some down time.
I can't believe so many of you here go to the doctor for a cold or flu. I only go if I feel like I absolutely need an antibiotic or something major is wrong. Last time I had an antibiotic was about 10 years ago or so for an ear infection that hurt like crap. When I used to have a job that required me to use up sick or personal days ( sitting in an office, which I can do even with a cold ) I would just go to work sick, and the boss would tell me to go home and stop spreading my germs around. Nobody ever suggested I needed a doctor's note

Anyway. This is what I ended up doing: slept , watched enough Netflix streaming to use up almost all our data allowance for the month in 2 days, did get up and cook yesterday ( Mexican pork in crock pot, had to use it up it was defrosted), re-read an old book I like.

Better today, helped husband with the animals this morning but now I am resting for a little while. I started feeling a little lightheaded after not walking around for 2 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbersawz View Post
Listen to podcasts, there are some great ones

https://medium.com/the-mission/the-2...o-ccf98527bdda

BBC has a great selection to, from comedy to documentarys to History

]
My husband loves podcasts, but I can't seem to focus on them. Don't think I am a good listener, I do better reading or watching something. But yeah, for people that can do that and pay attention, that's a great idea.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,444 Times in 10,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I can't believe so many of you here go to the doctor for a cold or flu. ...
I avoid Doctors and hospitals, including the alternate medical witch doctors, phony chiropractors and magic practitioners, like the plague. They want your money and often they do nothing to earn it. I do get a flu shot every year, if possible, as preventative and I only have gotten the flue once in my life that I can recall. A yearly physical and occasional other issues/injuries have driven me to the medical establishment, but lets face it, why would you want to hang out with sick people?

Glad you are feeling better Sonya1!
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I avoid Doctors and hospitals, including the alternate medical witch doctors, phony chiropractors and magic practitioners, like the plague. They want your money and often they do nothing to earn it. I do get a flu shot every year, if possible, as preventative and I only have gotten the flue once in my life that I can recall. A yearly physical and occasional other issues/injuries have driven me to the medical establishment, but lets face it, why would you want to hang out with sick people?

Glad you are feeling better Sonya1!
I agree with you on most of that. I don't do the yearly physical, why should I ? They just look for crap. It's like a vehicle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I feel like having a yearly physical is like the car repair place telling you every time you get a new tire or brakes, that you must replace a belt. They have been telling me that for at least 10 years, and the belt still works. I will replace it when it brakes. Same with the doctor. I will go when I have something wrong that makes me sick enough long enough that I can't function, or have a major injury. All these medical tests are just there for them to charge you money and "find" things that "might" kill you when you are old. Well , something IS going to kill you some day, all of you and me. I don't care to spend old age going to the doctors and hospitals to keep me alive a few extra years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,444 Times in 10,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I agree with you on most of that. I don't do the yearly physical, why should I ? ...
No reason to. For me it is a VA thing. I feel it is a necessity to stay on good terms with them.

ETA: For a few years I also had to get a Annual medical for my CDL and also pilot license