Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,513 Times in 578 Posts
Default Crosman Pellet Gun Dilemma

Advertise Here

I purchased a Crosman Nitro Piston .22 pellet gun a couple years ago and cant get it to shoot straight. I bought it for a small game gun in SHTF scenario, but it is worthless. I bought a better scope, order new gaskets/seals from crosman and did my own measurements/sealing, thinking it was not consistent because of airloss. This didnt have any effect. It is so bad that at 20 yards, it wont hit a 6" circle more than 4 out of 10 shots, with a ballistic rest. That is inexcusable. And I paid up for it at $160, thinking I would get a better gun than $100 variety. No dice. It has been sitting for 8 months. I broke down and contacted Crosman, not expecting anything free, even though the rifle came like this. They sent back a note stating I need to contact one of their repair centers to look at it. I followed the link and there are no centers within 1000 miles that look at these models. Below are my contact messages. I would highly suggest you stay away from Crosman (they own benjamin also) if you are planning on eating!
My last reply : You are kidding right? There are NO LISTED service centers for this model within 1000 miles of me. This gun has NEVER shot straight. There is definitely something wrong with it, and all you want to do is pass the buck. I bought this rifle in good faith, and I am very disappointed in it.
Do you really not have any sympathy or recourse to offer me?

Chuck Manfre | Sep 16, 2019 8:31 AM
Good morning,
My best advice is to have a service/repair center check the gun out. You can view all of our repair centers by visiting this link:

https://www.crosman.com/general/find-a-service-center

Sep 14, 2019 8:59 PM
I have owned crosman products for 50 years now, my first a BB rifle that cocked by barrel sliding into receiver.
Anyway, I bought this Nitro Venom couple years ago, and no matter what kind of ammo, crosman, benjamin, rws, it will not shoot straight. I even replaced better scope. At 18 yards, it wont hit target, shooting from bag rest, 3 times in a row. Most times 0/3.
I even ordered these from yall:
B22-00-1 Adjust washer 0-2
11 B12-00-14 Breach Seal
and replaced, thinking the gun may have set on shelf awhile before I got it. Nothing helps. Not being able to hit a 6" target from 18 yards, gun rested on shooting bag, has me very frustrated. This gun doesnt have more than 500 pellets thru it. It has been sitting for 8 months because of this. I spent $160 for it, thinking I would pay a little more to get a better gun. Is there something I can do to remedy this? It is of no use to me like it is.
Sincerely,
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,929 Posts

I have found that if your pellets are light they go super sonic and fall out of super sonic and tumble fast.

Heavier pellets tend to group better

Also pellet gun are hard on cheap pellet gun scopes.
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,064 Times in 2,598 Posts

`

Why can't you mail it to them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 12:19 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,868 Times in 3,816 Posts

It's a heavy spring driven piston. I find that they shoot more accurately if they're rested on something with some give. Like the palm of your hand or a folded towel. They tend to jump all over the place if they're rested on something that doesn't absorb the energy released by the spring and piston when they are fired.

These guns have a very different recoil than traditional firearms which is why you need a special scope for them.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,067 Times in 6,999 Posts

It says, “....or you may ship your airgun to them if the center is not located nearby.”

I don’t see the problem. I mean, I do...it’s a sucky gun.

But whine about that, instead of the fact that you don’t care enough to bother sending the gun in to have it fixed.

Also....what do you think a “ballistic rest” is? Resting a springer isn’t usually a good idea.

BTW....have you tried more than one type and weight of pellet? Makes a big difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,031 Times in 20,531 Posts

I am not a fan of Crosman. I bought a benjamin Nitro .22 after Crosman acquired them.
it started to shoot very inaccurately after the first dozen shots.

I finally figured out the piston was failing and each shot had less and less power, until it wouldn't even fire.

Crosman sucks and is dead to me.

Not sure what could be causig your inaccuracy problem. They say you have to have an air gun scope or the screwy recoil of an air gun will break the scope cross hairs.

I would also tighten and lock down the scope mount screws with some locktite.

New guns will supposedly "diesel" if you don't clean the factory oil from the barrel.

Other than that, I can't imagine what could be wrong. I assume the barrel is rifled, how could they screw that up?

I have a Hatsun .22 nitro break barrel now. $100 gun and hits hard as hell and very accurate with the new scope I put on it.

Also have a Gamo .177 springer that is excellent.

maybe the barrel hinge is screwed up and losing registration with the scope?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,428 Times in 633 Posts

Most likely it is your pellet, heavier might be better and stay away from the pointed pellets. The qualification there are Crosman Destroyers, they work very will, .177 do at least.
I just had the same issue with 2 guns, both .177. They shot all over the paper, one owner gave me his gun, did not want it back. Other owner just wanted me to check it.
Short version, destroyers cured both.
Have you ever dry fired your gun, if not DON'T.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:59 AM
Goat Roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Most likely it is your pellet, heavier might be better and stay away from the pointed pellets. The qualification there are Crosman Destroyers, they work very will, .177 do at least.
I just had the same issue with 2 guns, both .177. They shot all over the paper, one owner gave me his gun, did not want it back. Other owner just wanted me to check it.
Short version, destroyers cured both.
Have you ever dry fired your gun, if not DON'T.

No, havent dry fired. I will check out the Destroyers pellets. Reckon the Benjamin Destroyers, 14.3gr are the same since crosman owns both brand names?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:11 AM
Goat Roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I am not a fan of Crosman. I bought a benjamin Nitro .22 after Crosman acquired them.
it started to shoot very inaccurately after the first dozen shots.

I finally figured out the piston was failing and each shot had less and less power, until it wouldn't even fire.

Crosman sucks and is dead to me.

I have a Hatsun .22 nitro break barrel now. $100 gun and hits hard as hell and very accurate with the new scope I put on it.

What model Hatsun did u get? Its a nitro piston, you say?
Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
What model Hatsun did u get? Its a nitro piston, you say?
Amazon says not available now. I bought mine in December last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pyramid Air says out of stock also.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsa...ton_Black/3724

Looking around, see a slightly different version for a little more.
The reviews say this one is spring powered. Mine said N2 Vortex powered that I bought on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSAARZS/ref=dp_cerb_2
Old 09-18-2019, 01:54 AM
Goat Roper

OK, first and foremost, the nitro piston rifles are not SPRING operated. Second, I didnt see the "if center is not located nearby", but they didnt offer up an address or authorize RMA. Third, if YOU would read my entire post instead of trying to live up to your stagename, you would see that I tried MANY different brands/weights of ammo.
As per JustMe, I too broke down and bought a cheaper benjamin nitro .22 over weekend and with 100 rounds thru it, it is SO FAR a tack driver. I will prolly get screwed again if it fails at 500 like yours did. I didnt realize Crosman bought them till after getting it. I also bought a better scope for it (actually took my scope upgrade off the Crosman). If this one craps out, ...

WE have moved into a society that noone gives a crap anymore. Even $3000 riding mowers companies (B&S, Cub cadet, Craftsman, Husky) wont stand behind their products. Too much stuff now not worth buying.
I reckon I will send the POS to crosman and see if they can do anything. Are RWS rifles any count? I dont need a $500 air rifle tho.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 02:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,067 Times in 6,999 Posts

Yep, I see it now, buried in your wall of words. My bad. And I thought “Piston” guns were springers, again, my bad.

But I did help you find the part about sending it in.

Hey...I’d be PO’d as well. I’d have tried to return it where I bought it. If I spent the money to send it in, I’d be VERY upset if it came back and didn’t shoot well. Then all of your post would be completely justified, and you’d still be out $160 plus the shipping. But at least you will have tried using their system, and would have a totally legitimate reason to bad mouth them.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,677 Times in 551 Posts

I have a Crosman 2100B (or something), just a pump rifle - but I can typically ring my little target stand with 3" circles at 15 yards with 99% hit rate. Hope you get that one figured out.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,887 Times in 1,403 Posts

I have one, not the Venom version but the Nitro .22 and it's been great. The cheap scope that came with it starts to wander after about 50 pellets but it dials right back in to minute of tree rat face at 25 yards.
I also have an old Benjamin springer that was lots of trouble. Vibrations ruined scopes, kept making the stock and barrel screws come loose. Could get about 10 accurate shots out of it before it would drift. Tried everything right up the green retaining compound loc-tite without success. Because of that experience I will never buy, nor recommend a springer. Nitro pistons are so much smoother. All that said, maybe you just got a lemon?
Old 09-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,698 Times in 2,018 Posts

My 177 nitro was great for the first 25 yards. After that accuracy dropped off. As suggested, try different pellets. I have a 22 walther springer which is very powerful and good out to 50 yards but more accurate at 25. This summer I purchased a Diana 22 pcp. Very quiet and accurate. I keep shots to 25-30 yards. I watched a video on U tube. The Diana grouped great at 25 yards but groups opened to 4-5" at 100. Waisted pellets are just not accurate at longer range and lose stability when shot above the speed of sound. The cheap scope that came with the nitro was junk and was a major issue on the accuracy of my rifle. I liked the Diana so well that I ordered a 177. One of my hunting buddies shoot a 30 cal PCP. I watched him shoot a wild turkey with it in my pasture and lots of squirrels with it.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,785 Times in 5,685 Posts

These are the types where the barrel breaks to cock the gun, right? It's likely that connection not staying true. I had an old, old Crossman 760 I got when I was 8 and it developed a barrel wiggle after 35 years. So the scope mounted on the receiver pointed true but the barrel was pointing a different direction each time. I "fixed" it by wrapping the barrel to tighten it down in the receiver. Good enough for plinking cans. Then I bought a Crossman 2100 for rabbit duty.

If you shoot it with iron sights more accurately, you'd know. It's why the rear manual sights on these guns are forward on the barrel before the break.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 PM

For what it's worth, I have never found pellet type to affect accuracy much .
I usually shoot Crosman pointed or domed lead pellets. At least Crosman knows how to make a pellet.

If accuracy is off 5 inches, either the scope is busted, the piston is failing, or the barrel hinge has play in it, letting the barrel point differently than the scope.

From a bench at 15 yards, I can hit a quarter all day long without missing with my current few air rifles. Actually, can hit a dime maybe 60% of the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,065 Posts

I have a Stoeger X-10 that won't group on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper with some pellets, but will shoot "minute of squirrel head" with others.

Maybe it's not the rifle that is the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post: