Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-05-2019, 05:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,497 Times in 4,355 Posts
Default Electric Motorcycle?

Advertise Here

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

So, I'm currently working away from home, about 550 miles away. Just as a preparatory challenge, I'm keeping the vehicle ready to role, and my backup is my mountain bike, and last option is hoofing it on foot. The last two are really limited options and my distances and exposure to the elements is greater. Realistically, for a catastrophic SHTF in this area, I would need to get out early and fast in the car and make about half to three quarters the distance for the bike or foot options to be realistic.

I had looked into a motorcycle, but I'm not an experienced rider anymore (and I don't want to learn in Northern VA traffic!), my lodging accommodations really limit storage and maintenance, and I'm using my wife's car, so it's not something I could strap to the top of the Subaru and take with me. I'll have my truck back in December, so that will open the door to different options. As is, my folding mountain bike will easily fit in the back of her small car.

Anyways, I was looking at electric bikes and stumbled into electric motorcycles (looking at the one in the link above). More of casual interest, but just wondering about everyone's thoughts.

First, this isn't a long-range transportation option. Heck, they get better mileage per charge in/around town than highway miles (pretty much opposite of a gasoline engine). Second, they're pretty damn expensive. Lastly, they need to be charged, so this isn't much of a post-SHTF, little to no electricity grid, choice. Just ask the folks in California how the blackouts are affecting their electric car charging...

Despite those downsides, I actually think something like this would be a great bug-in patrol option. I saw an electric bike the other day...super silent. This electric motorcycle is pretty much maintenance free, and for the power and size, lighter than traditional gas-powered bikes. As long as the power is on, it's not a bad non-gas option of transportation that would be faster than a bike with pretty good traveling distances.

I'm actually considering one for commuting to work once I move back home. It would be a nice option and the primary route is a rural highway with several alternate (some even dirt) routes. Distance is only 25 miles, so that's not an issue, but the minor off-road capability and silent running could be a big asset.

Just wondering if anyone has considered an electric motorcycle (or even a bike) for a commuting option (even with limited post-SHTF value as it's power generation dependent). Sure, I could do some limited charging at home, but it becomes counter productive charging from a generator...you could probably keep it topped off with limited use, but it's not optimal for long-term, grid-down unless you live near an efficient solar panel farm.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 25,221 Times in 7,425 Posts

I think a motorized bicycle would be a better choice.
Fuel frugal & can go 30+ mph.
No fuel, you can peddle it.

For example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272758734850

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruff-Rider-....c100005.m1851
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,483 Posts

Until they get the Lithium-Ion technology better or come up with another type of battery that won't cook off, I don't want any large batteries around.

Fox news carried a piece yesterday from Japan that showed a security camera film of a Tesla spontaneously going nuclear in a garage. Took about 10 seconds and burned the Tesla and two cars next to it down to the rims. That's why the FAA is so concerned about them in cargo compartments of aircraft. As I recall, Boeing had to remove them as the main batts on the 777.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

PS - the range on the Harley electric sucks (I THINK it's around 150 miles) - especially for $30K!
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 08:06 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 8,100 Times in 1,801 Posts

Last year a friend purchased an Alta and I had the pleasure of riding it. I walked away saying to myself.... "Yep, 100% probability of me buying one of those dudes!" And they are about $12k for a dirt bike.

Alta builds true dirt/trail bikes and they are spectacular! On the most aggressive setting I could instantly pull a wheelie running 30mph down the street. Incredible torque.

Duration is the issue..... He's only good for about 50 mile rides in challenging trails and it goes dead.

It is a phenomenal experience to run through the woods..... silent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 18,821 Times in 4,010 Posts

There are also kits to convert standard bicycles to electric. It looks like the motor is in the hub. It's probably a good idea to retain the pedal power as a backup.

electric bicycle conversion kit
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,707 Times in 2,169 Posts

I almost bought one of these about five years ago.

Solar would charge it if the grid went down. It would be super slow, but some trans is better than no trans...and the lack of sound is a big advantage over any combustion engine, even a quiet one on a moped.

This is also a true offroad bike, unlike a moped. Just depends on what environment you're using it in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:06 AM
I love this forum

I have an electric bike, and a solar cart. both would work great as local transport. Lectric bikes and moto's would be a great fit for someone with a hefty offgrid solar setup. My solar cart is stand alone at 1200 watts solar, and could be used to charge other small battery packs..
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,828 Times in 583 Posts

This is the one I want....and the USA dealerships are expanding....2x2...75 mile range...

https://www.ubcobikes.com/us/product/2x2-2018/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,105 Times in 628 Posts

Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,368 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
How about electric bicycle?

https://www.cyklonebike.com/en/offer/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GFHGvt0ChvE

not exactly road legal here: as the site says power between 9.3Kw to 17.3Kw. Max legal power for electric road bicycle is 1Kw, also top speed for electric assist is 25km/h, and those go over 100km/h (without assist also), so one could say it's 4x the legal limit

Those are practically electric motorcycles with pedals. To an untrained eye, just a funny looking bicycle.

Oh yea, the guy in the video has bought a new one with 25Kw motor:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/yOES4vk5dx8

From the comments: 4.5Kwh battery, range 230km if speed is about 45km/h.
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,744 Times in 1,763 Posts

I LIKE the idea of the elec vehicle but I could see real problems charging the system using just sunlight for a source.

Those big lithium batteries take a long time even with a regular working utility. If you are using solar to power your camp how much do you want to divert to recharge your bike?
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,884 Times in 10,016 Posts

My idea if a End of World Vehicle (EOWV) would not be a light wt motor cycle or even a bike.
They simply do not carry enough cargo, and they are difficult to defend from armed attack.

Instead, I would want something more like a USMC light wt scout vehicle. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Patrol_Vehicle

I want room for two persons, a low profile, 100 Cu Ft cargo room, and a payload of 800 lbs.
A modern WW2 jeep built on a dune buggy frame, with Kevlar body pannels, and a belt fed gun in 308 would be a nice touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US_Navy_020413-N-5362A-013_U.S._Navy_SEALs_(SEa,_Air,_Land)_operate_Desert_Patrol_Vehicles_(DPV).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	293596  
Old 11-06-2019, 05:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,497 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
This was my initial choice and research; it still is, but after running across a couple of electric motorcycles, they just piqued my interest and there seems to be a ton of improvements with increased performance.

You do have to acknowledge that anything electrical will likely have a shorter lifespan than a fossil-fuel combustion engine…at least until they can improve battery capacity and much more efficient charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
Until they get the Lithium-Ion technology better or come up with another type of battery that won't cook off, I don't want any large batteries around.
This is a valid concern. I do think they are continuing to improve the Li-Ion chemistry, but there have been examples of instability with some of the chemical mixes…that’s a significant issue especially if you’re riding with a massive battery between your legs! While this is manufacturer claims,

With the DSR model and a 14.4kWH battery, it’s listed with an average range of 163 miles (city) and 78 miles (highway). That’s pretty impressive even if only 80-90% of the claim. They also claim their bikes can travel over 200,000 miles with the batteries retaining 80% of their original maximum capacity. They use some feature that will put the battery in a low-self-discharge state when static for a period of time. The other feature that’s nice, especially on a larger bike is that the batteries are easily swapped, either to have a spare (but damn, they’re expensive!), or improved battery technology from the company.

And damn, it looks sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Last year a friend purchased an Alta and I had the pleasure of riding it. I walked away saying to myself.... "Yep, 100% probability of me buying one of those dudes!" And they are about $12k for a dirt bike.

Alta builds true dirt/trail bikes and they are spectacular! On the most aggressive setting I could instantly pull a wheelie running 30mph down the street. Incredible torque.

Duration is the issue..... He's only good for about 50 mile rides in challenging trails and it goes dead.

It is a phenomenal experience to run through the woods..... silent.
Yeah, it’s pretty impressive the torque a battery-operated bike can have. Again, I just think you have to be realistic about the range based on your usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
My idea if a End of World Vehicle (EOWV) would not be a light wt motor cycle or even a bike.
They simply do not carry enough cargo, and they are difficult to defend from armed attack.
No, this wasn’t really intended for a long-term, post-SHTF, mad-max scenario. They’re limited without quality power generation. I’m looking at it as an option for commuting, and even post-SHTF use where I’m not living in CA. Unfortunately, most SHTF situations (list them all out…) end up in power disruption. I’m sure if you could afford a second battery, keep them topped off with a solar charger, they would work quite well for a short term situation. One nice feature is that the Zero bikes can be charged by a 110 plug in; so you could put a little more load on your generator when you run it for a few hours a day (my plan).

Just looking at different options, but all options have advantages and disadvantages…how they’re intended to be used is what drives the requirements and feasibility.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,946 Posts

Can you get a side car and put a gas generator + some solar panes in it?

I'd wait until some of the other big dogs get into the electric motorcycle game - Honda, etc.

Edit: How about a Honda Grom with a side car:

Could put a couple 5 gal Jerry Cans in there + guns and gear to get home. Fits in the bed of your pickup.
Ebay link for the sidecar:
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y46xytyc

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Prepared

My concern on something like this would be range on a single charge. You are not likely to find any readily accessible charging stations in a SHTF situation.

Someone has already mentioned an electric bicycle. I would second this. When the battery is out of power, you can peddle to keep going while recharging the battery at the same time. No,it would not be as fast as an electric motorcycle, but you also would not end up on foot after 150 miles either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 03:03 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

http://power-ped.com/australia-post/
Old 11-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 13,476 Times in 4,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
This is the one I want....and the USA dealerships are expanding....2x2...75 mile range...

https://www.ubcobikes.com/us/product/2x2-2018/
$7K! Yikes!
Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,663 Times in 628 Posts

New UBCO Pedal model:

https://www.ubcobikes.com/us/frx1-trail-bike/
Old 11-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 20,901 Times in 7,029 Posts

Both Harley and BMW are producing electrics. Mucho dinero, though.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:45 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Both Harley and BMW are producing electrics. Mucho dinero, though.

Harley shut down production of theirs problems with charging on 120ac