Lancer mags not as robust as I was led to believe - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tristar T-100 and CZ75B (full sized) mags Nomad, 2nd Pistol and Revolver Forum 1 10-23-2016 01:00 AM
Where is the cheapest place for AR mags? northslope Firearms General Discussion 20 10-22-2016 04:11 PM
New Production Croatian AK-47 30 Rnd. Mags Batko10 Military Weapons Forum 5 10-16-2016 11:21 PM
WTB: Yugo BHO mags Batko10 Looking for - want to buy 0 10-15-2016 06:59 PM

Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,627 Posts

Advertise Here

I had never seen a lancer until I got one with a AA carbine 3 years ago.

I have only used pmags' on deployment since retiring in 08. Prior to that were stanag issue magazines

So what makes them better than pmags?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 10:59 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
I had never seen a lancer until I got one with a AA carbine 3 years ago.

I have only used pmags' on deployment since retiring in 08. Prior to that were stanag issue magazines

So what makes them better than pmags?
Steel. The feed lips and top end are steel. Tougher than the issue mags and won't split under hard use like all other polymer mags will down the center. Abuse that will stoop anyother mag will be shed by a Lancer. They feed smoother than any other mag as well.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,094 Times in 4,496 Posts

In actual government testing, nothing has yet beat PMAG reliability to feed the weapon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
Exactly. It sounds like they bought them and field tested them by watching YouTube.

I used them on several tours as an 11B and they are the most reliable and smoothest feeding mags out there for the M4. Pmags are the only mags I've seen massively fail several times in actual combat. Not a desired feature. When they would first hit the dirt when rounds starts coming in, if the base of the mag hit the ground it would cause a crack at the top back of the mag. The feed lips would split apart and try to feed every single round after the first round fired. It's an extremely complex failure that keeps you out of the fight for too long. I'll never use pmags. They are fragile for actual use. It don't matter what gen they are, I've seen them all do it. If you're just plinking or making a pmag video they work great no doubt, they just don't handle actual hard use very well.

The lancers never split and pooped all the rounds out when being fired ever. I seen a guys full rack get run over by a MATV and only one had slightly bent feed lips. That was made perfectly functional again with a multi tool.

It's just a waste of time and effort returning them just so you can follow the crowd and get some trendy pmags that aren't really all that great. I'd take the tougher more durable issue mags over them. They hold up to abuse way better.
I have had many more problems with issue mags than polymer. My main problem is the way the L5 AWM feels in your hand. A pmag feels more substantial and takes much more effort to deform than the Lancer L5 AWM I bought. I have not tried to test the L5 durability or reliability so I don't have an argument to make on either. It very well could be the cat's meow. I just wanted to share my initial thoughts on them and read what other people have experienced. Thanks for sharing yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to XJCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Trapper

Buy bulk pmags for backup and trading, Lancers for actual use. Pmags are just the best bang/buck, but Lancers are excellent and not much more.

I just wish their 308 mags were more available and cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
In actual government testing, nothing has yet beat PMAG reliability to feed the weapon.
The problem is, we have seen over, and over, and over again that .mil tests tend to show the 'winner' to be whatever the generals wanted before testing began. Local govt tests are slightly more credible.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
Buy bulk pmags for backup and trading, Lancers for actual use. Pmags are just the best bang/buck, but Lancers are excellent and not much more.

I just wish their 308 mags were more available and cheaper.

The problem is, we have seen over, and over, and over again that .mil tests tend to show the 'winner' to be whatever the generals wanted before testing began. Local govt tests are slightly more credible.
I still personally prefer PMAG's. As to the cracking down the back of the spine, PMAG has been re-designed. Not very prone to it now.

The FDE PMAG's of yesteryear could be a real problem in that regard, though.

I am admittedly a Magpul customer, and friends with some members of their management, however, some of the people who taught me to shoot hate MP and love the Lancer L5 AWM, and have used them in anger.

Both are good mags. For my money though, I buy Magpul M3 SAND mags.

Why?

I prefer the feed angle of the M3 PMAG. It's superior to the lancer. I also like the polymer feed-lips better than metal feed lips. Less friction.

As to the lancer "feeling flimsy"...it's not. Stop squeezing it and go use it, OP. Your analysis is similar to someone saying "Glock isn't durable" because they melted one in an oven.

The reason Lancer has more "give" than a PMAG is because the part that needs to be rigid is made out of stainless steel. The PMAG must use a more rigid polymer because the feed-lips must maintain their dimensions, must be "X" resistant to contaminants being ground into them, etc. The advantage is arguably to the Lancer, as the more flexible the polymer, all things being equal, the less susceptible it is to cracking under a sharp impact. However, NOT all things are equal, and I do not know what polymer Magpul and Lancer use, respectively, as there are a myriad of formulas out there, and Magpul may well be more durable under sharp impact even though it's also more rigid. I honestly do not know, nor will I hypothesize on the matter, because I don't know.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 10:41 AM

It won't apply to most, but the pmag will get chewed up by a M249. The Lancer can be used forever in one. The Lancer in a M249 from what I've seen, it will make it 100% reliable running it with one. Something you won't get wit GI or Pmag. It's nice to have a reliable backup feed device for a saw with you.

Most won't have to worry about it but it's a huge consideration for a line grunt.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
It won't apply to most, but the pmag will get chewed up by a M249. The Lancer can be used forever in one. The Lancer in a M249 from what I've seen, it will make it 100% reliable running it with one. Something you won't get wit GI or Pmag. It's nice to have a reliable backup feed device for a saw with you.

Most won't have to worry about it but it's a huge consideration for a line grunt.
OK now, I have used pmags in a M249 without a hiccup and without being chewed up either, so Im gonna have to disagree with that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Survivor

Quote:
OK now, I have used pmags in a M249 without a hiccup and without being chewed up either, so Im gonna have to disagree with that
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,589 Times in 17,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Man...the happy switch does not last long with a 30 round mag.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post
Man...the happy switch does not last long with a 30 round mag.
Yes, very inclimatic. She said, "THATS IT?!?!?!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Once or twice in an emergency situation they all work great. I also noticed some guns chew them up worse and you won't know until you use them in that individual weapon. I've seen M249s eat up GI mag feed lips and others do nothing. Never seen a M249 damage or even scratch the lips on a Lancer. The feed lips can be and are thinner than the aluminum or plastic feed lips. That thinner feed lips makes them a dream to use in a M249 and it still be preserved for M4 use.

Ok now, I never said they don't work, Ive seen them all used more than a few times and in every case the Lancer comes out undamaged. You take your chances with other mags, especially the polymer feed lips ones. So you can say I disagree with myself too, I've seen individual M249s take it easy on any mag. Next SAW on your other team might chew up any mag. Ya don't know until you run them.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:57 AM

Since youtube is the end all.

https://youtu.be/NpEOrTbzceo
Old 11-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Since youtube is the end all.

https://youtu.be/NpEOrTbzceo
I think if you take out the "s" in https it will make it live in the thread instead of just a link. Same result just more convenient.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
Once or twice in an emergency situation they all work great. I also noticed some guns chew them up worse and you won't know until you use them in that individual weapon. I've seen M249s eat up GI mag feed lips and others do nothing. Never seen a M249 damage or even scratch the lips on a Lancer. The feed lips can be and are thinner than the aluminum or plastic feed lips. That thinner feed lips makes them a dream to use in a M249 and it still be preserved for M4 use.

Ok now, I never said they don't work, Ive seen them all used more than a few times and in every case the Lancer comes out undamaged. You take your chances with other mags, especially the polymer feed lips ones. So you can say I disagree with myself too, I've seen individual M249s take it easy on any mag. Next SAW on your other team might chew up any mag. Ya don't know until you run them.
I have never seen them chew up GI magazines either, in over 22 years of service. I have seen MANY of the GI mags not feed reliably in a M249. Not saying it cant happen, and if it is happening, then there is something very wrong with that particular M249 to the point that it shouldn't be in service to begin with.

The bolt on the M249 travels in the guide rails in the receiver and shouldn't have that much play to the point where its eating feed lips of a pmag or GI mag.

In any case, I doubt that anyone on this board (or any civilian) actually owns a SAW so the point is kinda moot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I have never seen them chew up GI magazines either, in over 22 years of service. I have seen MANY of the GI mags not feed reliably in a M249. Not saying it cant happen, and if it is happening, then there is something very wrong with that particular M249 to the point that it shouldn't be in service to begin with.

The bolt on the M249 travels in the guide rails in the receiver and shouldn't have that much play to the point where its eating feed lips of a pmag or GI mag.

In any case, I doubt that anyone on this board (or any civilian) actually owns a SAW so the point is kinda moot
Yup, I said it was moot, in different words. Unless you are an actual war fighter. Where your choice of gear just might/will be critical (as in life death) at some point.

No one says well I might not ever be in that situation (for those who actually will), there's a chance, but I'm going to go with the popular choice over the logical more durable one.

Like I said it might not be relevant to keyboard types but actual warfighters will want to take it into consideration. Right choice over the popular choice, they won't care what the Internet says.

I don't even own a single Pmag or Lancer mag anymore. I don't like the M4 platform. I've used all kinds of mags in actual combat and the most reliable and durable were always the lancers in the M4 and M249. No one has to believe it. Just stating my observations based on experience. Experience don't hold much weight these days when we have the Internet and youtube, but the net can't stop me from reporting
Old 11-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
Yup, I said it was moot, in different words. Unless you are an actual war fighter. Where your choice of gear just might/will be critical (as in life death) at some point.

No one says well I might not ever be in that situation (for those who actually will), there's a chance, but I'm going to go with the popular choice over the logical more durable one.

Like I said it might not be relevant to keyboard types but actual warfighters will want to take it into consideration. Right choice over the popular choice, they won't care what the Internet says.

I don't even own a single Pmag or Lancer mag anymore. I don't like the M4 platform. I've used all kinds of mags in actual combat and the most reliable and durable were always the lancers in the M4 and M249. No one has to believe it. Just stating my observations based on experience. Experience don't hold much weight these days when we have the Internet and youtube, but the net can't stop me from reporting
Opinion noted. As I said, I have only used GI mags and Pmags in combat. 5 years as a soldier in theater and 4 as a contractor. 1st year (08 to 09) as a contractor, pmags were not widely available, I used GI mags. My other 3 deployments I used pmags exclusively and have relied upon them to keep my ass breathing.

Pmags are excellent magazines form my own personal experience. I have no experience with Lancers other than the range. I have heard others say that Lancers are excellent too.

I have heard bad things about pmags but here is the thing. There are probably 10 times more pmags (at least 5 times more) in the world doing great things for America than Lancers. If there were just as many Lancers in the world, there would probably be more hiccups. Either way I wouldn't hesitate to use Lancers or pmags or even GI mags

I wouldn't use Hexmags though since they don't have slots for speedloaders
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Opinion noted. As I said, I have only used GI mags and Pmags in combat. 5 years as a soldier in theater and 4 as a contractor. 1st year (08 to 09) as a contractor, pmags were not widely available, I used GI mags. My other 3 deployments I used pmags exclusively and have relied upon them to keep my ass breathing.

Pmags are excellent magazines form my own personal experience. I have no experience with Lancers other than the range. I have heard others say that Lancers are excellent too.

I have heard bad things about pmags but here is the thing. There are probably 10 times more pmags (at least 5 times more) in the world doing great things for America than Lancers. If there were just as many Lancers in the world, there would probably be more hiccups. Either way I wouldn't hesitate to use Lancers or pmags or even GI mags

I wouldn't use Hexmags though since they don't have slots for speedloaders
It's not even an opinion. An opinion is I don't think I will like them because the sides squish when I squeeze it.

I don't like the M4 platform at all. Now that I have a choice I don't like any M4 magazine (that's an opinion). I just posted on what I've seen from seeing and using lancer, Pmag and GI magazines in a war zone. There might be 10x as many Pmags but the line platoons I was in it was 50/50 lancer or Pmag if they weren't using issue mags. Never once seen a lancer fail in any way. Seen plenty of Pmags fail causing complex stoppages in firefights. If I were forced to use an M4 again and were buying my own mags I'd buy lancers. I wouldn't even consider Pmags if they were given to me.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
It's not even an opinion. An opinion is I don't think I will like them because the sides squish when I squeeze it.

I don't like the M4 platform at all. Now that I have a choice I don't like any M4 magazine (that's an opinion). I just posted on what I've seen from seeing and using lancer, Pmag and GI magazines in a war zone. There might be 10x as many Pmags but the line platoons I was in it was 50/50 lancer or Pmag if they weren't using issue mags. Never once seen a lancer fail in any way. Seen plenty of Pmags fail causing complex stoppages in firefights. If I were forced to use an M4 again and were buying my own mags I'd buy lancers. I wouldn't even consider Pmags if they were given to me.
OK that's good to know
Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,916 Posts

I have never even seen Lancers, so my opinion is based on this thread entirely. Please explain to me what would happen to this thin walled unreinforced sides if it hits the rock sideways? This is engineering and material science, no miracles.