Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AK muzzle brake Texas Patriot Military Weapons Forum 19 06-15-2015 01:34 AM
Eliminate Muzzle Rise - $70 for a AR15/AR10 Tactical Muzzle Brake (FREE SHIPPING) GearHog GearHog 0 09-12-2014 03:00 AM
The Smart Muzzle Brake? Forlong the Fat Firearms General Discussion 3 02-21-2014 06:26 PM
VEPR 308 muzzle brake jmanning Military Weapons Forum 5 01-08-2014 08:07 AM
AK47 muzzle brake AK_guy Military Weapons Forum 51 11-26-2013 03:13 AM
where can I get a muzzle brake?? Bridgetdaddy Military Weapons Forum 10 07-15-2013 02:23 AM
Were can i fine a .40 cal Muzzle Brake???? Insanejecke Firearms General Discussion 5 01-16-2013 08:56 PM
30-06 Muzzle brake Johnny Mac Rifle Forum 10 12-14-2012 02:30 AM
installed a muzzle brake on my ar! whiskyrebellion Military Weapons Forum 3 05-01-2012 02:07 PM
ak muzzle brake mousepad1123 Military Weapons Forum 6 09-05-2010 03:14 PM

Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 35,677 Times in 8,971 Posts
Default Using a Muzzle Brake?

Advertise Here

The rifle pictured below is a Savage 110E, .308win. I bought it NIB in 1967. At that time, the retail price was $95.00. ASAP, I took it out for a test drive. HOLY CRAP...That was the rudest firearm I'd ever seen! It's extremely light weight and kicks like a mule, even with a recoil pad. Well, I put 20 rounds through it and put the rifle back in my vault...for 45 years. I wanted nothing more to do with that ill-bred POS. It stayed in my vault since '67. I gave it away twice, but each time, the person I gave it to returned it after firing just a few rounds. They also thought it was a RUDE POS.

A while back, I decided to thread the barrels and make Muzzle Brakes for all of my rifles. That was the best thing I've ever done for my guns. Now, the 110E seems to have less recoil than my M1 carbine (Saginaw, no brake).

I've made and installed quite a few brakes for '06 and big 300's. They ALWAYS calm down to a fraction of their original recoil. If you have a "problem child" in your vault that is ill-behaved...install a Brake! The difference is amazing! It's now my favorite shooter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110E Savage 1967 308 Brake (1).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	91875   Click image for larger version

Name:	110E Savage 1967 308 Brake (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	91876   Click image for larger version

Name:	110E Savage 1967 308.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	91877  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 43,019 Times in 10,063 Posts

What kind of brakes are you using?

I have a friend at work that decided to buy a 243 because he said he tried a 308 and it kicked like a mule.

I have a Rem 760 in 30-06 without a pad that isn't too bad so long as you stay at 150grs or less! I gladly gave it to my son to use elk hunting.......
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
What kind of brakes are you using?
I design and machine my own brakes. I made a batch of 12 from drill rod ( blued) and tried to sell them on ebay. I couldn't give them away. It seems as though guys all want the "Zombie Decimator", "Zombie Killer 3000", "Zombie Punisher"...just a bunch of ineffective crap with spikes and blades that appeals to kids. I sold one brake locally and that's all it took to get the word out. I threaded about 9 barrels and quickly sold the remaining brakes here in town. I learned my lesson!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,419 Posts

I thought about using a muzzle brakes also but after further reading I came across articles that say muzzle brakes are really hard on optics. So unless I was ok with sending my loopies to the shop every now and then I decided to just buy a heavier stock, add some weight where I could by adding a bipod, getting the heaviest and strong scope rings I could buy..and used a good recoil pad, and reloaded with a slightly lighter, but very effective, charge and 168gr instead of using 180gr bullets. The combination worked out well.

An article about pros and cons about muzzle brakes.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...-pros-and-cons

Last edited by JLW1974; 10-14-2014 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Content.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW1974 View Post
I thought about using a muzzle brakes also but after further reading I came across articles that say muzzle brakes are really hard on optics.
Searching the internet, I find that most people view this as a myth, as do I. To me, it's totally ridiculous to think that a gentle recoil will damage a precision optical unit. The rougher you handle it, the longer it'll last? I never found that to be the case with anything in this world.

I certainly don't criticize you for your concern. Optics can be expensive and no one wants them damaged. If you've found other ways to reduce recoil, you've done well.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,660 Times in 3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
I gave it away twice, but each time, the person I gave it to returned it after firing just a few rounds. They also thought it was a RUDE POS.
Similar story.

I had a Ishapoor(sp?) Enfield 308 Jungle Gun like. Friend of mine shot it a couple times and sold it to me cheap - $75. I fired it a couple times - damn that had some kick! I gave it to another friend of mine.

Not sure whatever happened to the gun. Think my friend left it at his parents house before getting married and moving to California - 10+ years ago.

Strangely enough, I've gone back to the big kickers and own a 300 Win Mag and would like to pick up a couple CZ rifles in African calibers - 416 Rigby, 505 Gibs, etc.

For the most part - I'm not a fan of Muzzle Brakes. I had one on a 16" Ohio Rapid Fire STG58 FAL. That thing was really loud.
For hard hitting gun - they have their place and while I currently don't foresee adding them to any of my rifles, that could change with age.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 06:48 AM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Similar story.

I had a Ishapoor(sp?)
Strangely enough, I've gone back to the big kickers and own a 300 Win Mag and would like to pick up a couple CZ rifles in African calibers - 416 Rigby, 505 Gibs, etc.
I've made / installed several on 300 win & 300 H&H's...nothing bigger. Now the guys shoot them ALL DAY without getting beat to hell. I hate to own a gun that's so rude I don't want to pull the trigger. It's like a beautiful woman who doesn't bathe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,917 Posts

The absolute worst rifle I ever shot was a 1917 Enfield. 30-06 shouldn't hurt. After 4 or 5 shots, that rifle drew blood. I sold it for what I paid, $65. Stock design is something that helps considerably.

The worst rifle, noisewise, I ever shot was a CETME with the barrel ported with a bunch of holes. I'll never understand why Century Arms thought it necessary to port a 10 pound rifle in .308. The wussification of American shooters got more credence there.

Recoil wise, the worst shot I ever made was with an Interarms .458, prone. It broke the stock. After my pain subsided, the numbness took over for quite a tad. Nerve damage I suspect. Would'nt have minded porting on that one.

The idea of caps for a threaded barrel makes perfect sense to me. Practice with the brake, re-zero to hunt.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,227 Posts

That's a nice-looking brake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eyes-open-now For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Searching the internet, I find that most people view this as a myth, as do I. To me, it's totally ridiculous to think that a gentle recoil will damage a precision optical unit. The rougher you handle it, the longer it'll last? I never found that to be the case with anything in this world.

I certainly don't criticize you for your concern. Optics can be expensive and no one wants them damaged. If you've found other ways to reduce recoil, you've done well.
Unfortunately there are opinions and there are facts. You design and build muzzle brakes and don't even understand how they work. Adding a muzzle brake is only a more gentle recoil for the shooter.
The real facts are that the majority of scopes are designed to handle recoil from one direction. Adding a brake creates a violent 'reverse' recoil that most scopes are not designed for. That is why they eat scopes.
And honestly... a brake on a 308?