Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your favorite non-prep prep item? Alore Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 02-18-2019 10:16 PM
new to prep..think i live in a prep nightmare! itwprp11 New Member Introduction 34 01-08-2019 11:39 PM
When do your kids go from prep liability to prep asset? Jack1228 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 08-14-2015 12:00 AM
My Church Is Ready To Prep. What Do We Prep? Doginit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 01-10-2014 06:28 AM
PRINTER as a prep idea (Cheap Prep $$$) MikeV1234 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-25-2013 12:28 AM
To Reporters’ Horror, Minnesotans Following the Law burdock41 Political News and Discussion 0 02-20-2013 12:42 AM
Minnesotans! Beware! TXsurvivor Political News and Discussion 10 02-03-2013 11:11 AM
Prep to maintain standard of living or prep to survive? JohnWStiner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 01-28-2011 04:50 AM
Minnesotans for Global Warming Moose711 Jokes, Humor & Music 4 02-14-2010 06:02 PM

Old 12-14-2014, 02:19 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,522 Times in 26,336 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

I have a daughter in Minnesota. She say her husband preps for all 4 seasons
Football
Hockey
Walleye
Deer
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Sorry such a late reply...just learning this site. I'm in east central mn close to I35. dang its hard to find preppers here, but all us old rural folks are to extent. I think the newbie city kids who move up here still think our counties will step up...like, right, when it takes them all day n nite to just plow backroads. meanwhile, the school buses run almost in any conditions. hope u get this. maybe we're neighbors. you know, like within an hour or so of each other!
The Following User Says Thank You to heirloomgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 AM

You sound like what I want to be on my place! different than wannabe...I too have wood heat, oil lamps etc but have yet to pound in sandpoint handpump well. only needs to be bout 25-30 feet as I have 23 springs in my field so have hi water table. house well wi little iron is only 52 ft deep, so think I could get by with shallow sandpoint. my problem? I'm scared to do this work and then not truly know how to get it to work. like with the leather...got handpump n sandpoint from stpaul mfgr so is great quality. any instructions/tips would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 AM

I think the welfare thing is just done so politicians can cover a** when they give farm subsiidy payments to corp farms and meat producers. ever looked at what Michele Bachmans family in iowa get? its far easier for us to judge someone in front of us in checkout line with foodstamps.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Have any of you been in so dak in winter or iowa? try sioux falls... as a 30 yr ago transplant, I am still grateful for mndot. not going. to mention my county but they leave some to be desired (no salt, a little sand). Minn still better than anyplace in surrounding states. I travel by saturn wagon 4000miles avg per mo for job in these states. always grateful when I hit our stateline.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 AM

Default heirloomgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalboy1995 View Post
Born and raised here. I grew up around prepping..well mild prepping. Living 20 miles from the closest smallish town,my parents had a 'food room' in the basement. Nothing crazy,probably 6'x8'. We also had a "backup" woodstove that we pretty much used daily from oct-may. We had a small honda generator and 25gal of gas stored. we'd try and have 8 cords of firewood stored every fall. We burned 4-5/year. We had a truck with a 9' v plow,many snow shovels, 3 chainsaws,55 gal drum of ice salt. sandbags/shovels/sleeping bags/road flares in both vehicles.
I ended up with a girl from southern TX,her cocky father was all "we from texas,yall. We raise rough,tough cowboys down here. Ya I'm tough cuz' I'm from texas" well he shut up about that after he came up here to visit in the winter. My mother-in-law freaked out when I ran outside for something in -30 degree weather in jeans and a t shirt...haha.
LOL! got bro n sis in TX. all of us raised in SD on ranch/farm. I tried it there. OMG the humidity and no breeze in san antone! Moved even farthr north in MN. Face up to facts, america! us up north people are way tougher than most!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heirloomgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Default heirloomgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
I have a daughter in Minnesota. She say her husband preps for all 4 seasons
Football
Hockey
Walleye
Deer
Ok, so what about wild turkey? And in some parts, pheasant? ooh, he's not a true mn prepper unless he makes plans for timberwolves, let alone our twinkies.
Ask him this...did he make a 4 season get home bag for her? yesterday I got over an inch of rain (even thunder) followed by 4 inches of snow. to us northerners, no big deal. just sayin'.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 AM

Default heirloomgirl

I want to apologize for ignorance in prev posts as to how to post them. meant them as reply to certain posts but didn't know to 'quote'. now I do. I may be just learning how to chatroom but sure can garden! anyway, thanks for yr patience.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,522 Times in 26,336 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I guess the humor was lost on you.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 AM

I love living in MN have a place that my friends and family can bug out to if need be. The winters here can be really hard but it could be worse. I have lived here all my life. I would rather deal with the winters than the summers down south. But winters are by far the thing to prep for the most. Then tornadoes and flooding. I don't really have to worry about flooding where I'm at I think I live in the only county in Minnesota that doesn't have a lake, yes believe it or not. Land of 10,000 lakes and I don't have one. And the people that say Minnesota drivers suck no drivers in the Twin Cities suck there was a study released saying that Minnesota has the safest drivers in the country. 4x4 is almost a must but my favorite way to get around during the summer is my dirt bike on the back roads. I wish I was as stocked up on everything as everyone else but I'm working on it slowly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justincase42 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 09:24 AM

Default heirloomgirl

It seems most threads here always address heating issue which really comes down to worrying about power outages, no matter cause. If I still lived in the Cities, what I would prep for is having a rural safehouse and a way to get there. I would try to make arrangements with a small homesteader, offering to come now to learn skills thru working with them for a way different lifestyle. It is probably true that us rural people do stand a better chance just because of what we already do on an everyday basis. I'd be open to having 'company' if shtf, but few in cities seem willing to put in time n work right now. I still would wish them the best.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Trapper

New guy here west of the metro, I was raised on a subsistence farm in Northwestern Mn, lived in Western and Southern Mn. I would like to buy some land further North. I am a Veteran, and a hunter. I am a beginner to prepping because I see trouble coming.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,335 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2wing View Post
New guy here west of the metro, I was raised on a subsistence farm in Northwestern Mn, lived in Western and Southern Mn. I would like to buy some land further North. I am a Veteran, and a hunter. I am a beginner to prepping because I see trouble coming.
Welcome to the SB!

Growing up on a farm, being a Veteran, and a Hunter I would say that you are off to a good start. Now it is just time to start stocking up on food, water, ammo, medical, and other supplies.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 AM

Default heirloomgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2wing View Post
Welcome! lots of good land up north right now and prices still reasonable. I'm in east central mn. can recommend a few different realtors farther north who specialize in rural/hunting land. Previous posts have spoken of poor soil but I prefer our sand to the more clay like soil farther south. I just keep adding my compost and lime reduces sandburs. Deer and turkey plentiful right now too. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 PM

What can a person use to cook with in the house if the grid is down. I just purchased a portable Buddy Heater for heat. Sounds like they are going to crack down on wood stoves.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,540 Times in 775 Posts

Amazon has some propane camping burners that work off the same tanks as the Buddy Heaters. They're pretty slick!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM

I have a genny that I used to power my furnace if it goes out... other then that I have no real prep. I do have a lot of camping supplies though, if you consider that prep, haha.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 PM

Born and raised in MN- NW area, with adult life in Metro area. I'll be honest SHFT in winter in MN scares the hell out of me- loss of primary natural gas would be catastrophic.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,540 Times in 775 Posts

What we don't prep for is 45 degrees in the middle of January. None of us know what to do with ourselves!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
I choose freewill....

Thanked 4,266 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED View Post
What we don't prep for is 45 degrees in the middle of January. None of us know what to do with ourselves!!
Sure you do; shorts and T-shirt to clear the melting snow off the driveway!
The Following User Says Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post: