Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AK muzzle brake Texas Patriot Military Weapons Forum 19 06-15-2015 01:34 AM
Using a Muzzle Brake? PaulKersey Rifle Forum 9 10-17-2014 09:37 PM
Eliminate Muzzle Rise - $70 for a AR15/AR10 Tactical Muzzle Brake (FREE SHIPPING) GearHog GearHog 0 09-12-2014 03:00 AM
The Smart Muzzle Brake? Forlong the Fat Firearms General Discussion 3 02-21-2014 06:26 PM
VEPR 308 muzzle brake jmanning Military Weapons Forum 5 01-08-2014 08:07 AM
AK47 muzzle brake AK_guy Military Weapons Forum 51 11-26-2013 03:13 AM
where can I get a muzzle brake?? Bridgetdaddy Military Weapons Forum 10 07-15-2013 02:23 AM
Were can i fine a .40 cal Muzzle Brake???? Insanejecke Firearms General Discussion 5 01-16-2013 08:56 PM
installed a muzzle brake on my ar! whiskyrebellion Military Weapons Forum 3 05-01-2012 02:07 PM
ak muzzle brake mousepad1123 Military Weapons Forum 6 09-05-2010 03:14 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 AM

Default 30-06 Muzzle brake

Advertise Here

Hello everyone. I'm Johnny Mac, and I'm from North East Pennsylvania. Factoryville to be exact.

I've had my pt709 and my 12 gauge for a while now, and I thought I'd get my second to last gun before my collection's complete.

So I just bought a Ruger (RAR) 30-06. I have yet to get it in my possession yet however, because it's on it's way to big rich's. I've bought a bipod for it, and soon, I'll be getting a scope.

There's one other thing I want to do to it though. It may seem like overkill for a 30. but I think it'll look pretty sweet. I'm wondering if there's anywhere where I can get a 50. cal style muzzle brake for a reasonable price. Or if it even exists for this rifle.

Something like this.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,028 Times in 871 Posts

http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...reak&ksubmit=y
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,778 Times in 44,509 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I don't think you'll need it for a .30-06. It's a fairly tame cartridge. Those brakes look like a turd on a stick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM

If you do break it. Wear double ear pro and don't let anyone else stand next to you when firing. Those breaks direct a lot of gasses back and to the sides. It can do a lot of damage!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,415 Times in 1,326 Posts

I bet that thing does a awesome job of taming that ferocious recoil on that .22, That must be one of those rare antitank .22's I keep hearing about.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Consciously Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11b View Post
If you do break it. Wear double ear pro and don't let anyone else stand next to you when firing. Those breaks direct a lot of gasses back and to the sides. It can do a lot of damage!
That's the main reason I won't muzzle brake my Mosin M44, it already rumbles the shooting range as is... Don't need people next to me freaking out like that puss on Doomsday Preppers that was in the blind with his dopey buddy. Rolling around on the ground crying because his ears hurt, hahahaha.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Are you just after the "Tactikool" look of the thing or are you wanting an actual recoil reducing device? I'm betting quite heavily on the former.

Flash hiders that look a lot like that hideous monstrosity you linked to can be mounted on any gun...They do not cause excessive noise, blowback gasses or cost a lot and they may not have to be installed by a gunsmith

Muzzle brakes on the other hand do go bang much, MUCH louder, spew irritating gasses in a controlled manner to either side of you (bothersome at the range) and have to be professionally fitted to your gun by a gunsmith but they will reduce recoil (felt) by around 60%...Also, many guides will not allow then to be used in the hunting field citing potential hearing loss.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I don't think you'll need it for a .30-06. It's a fairly tame cartridge. Those brakes look like a turd on a stick.
Agree on the look of that "thing" but it doesn't matter what calibre is being shot, when you put lots of rounds downrange any edge you can give yourself, you'll take.

I must then be a real panty waist wuss since I have had every one of my hunting and some target centerfire rifles "Mag-na-ported"...I also had every shotgun barrel "Pro-Ported"--same principle and maker...That ranges from .14 Hornet to .470 NE and .410 gauge to 10 bore...On the larger calibres it reduces recoil a bit but I have additional detachable muzzle brakes on my heavy rifles for sighting in and competition.

The reason I did it to the lesser rifle calibres was for reduced muzzle climb so I could see actual bullet impact through my scope and correct for it...Thing is, out here on the prairies where long shots are the norm and the wind is ALWAYS there you need better BC bullets--which means usually larger calibres--for varmint shooting...My .220 Swift or .22 Hornet might not kick that much but when you put a hundred or more rounds downrange during a morning shoot, those last few shots will still hurt somewhat and many a shooter has gotten up the next day with a black and blue shoulder.

If I can see where my bullets hit and reduce felt recoil, albeit only by about 20%, to boot it was the best money I've ever spent on those guns...Getting many more 2nd--as opposed to 3rd or 7th--shot kills and enjoying the outings far more since I/we are not being pounded especially when shooting the .338 and .410 magnums at 1K "Prairie Pooches".

As to the .30/06, the biggest complaint by both the civilian and military prior to, during and just after WW1 was the excessive "kick" of the cartridge although the stock shape did impart some of that--actually, quite a lot of it--in anything but the standing up position...There were so many complaints that the government actually approved the .276 Pedersen as its replacement but the "Great Depression" hit and cancelled those plans.

Not everyone can handle recoil--two of my all time favourite rifles were a .400 Jeffery Farquharson and a .425 Westley Richards bolt (both ten pound guns) but I don't like an eight pound .308 Win or .303 British a bit unless I've got modern material recoil pads in place...Yet, I love my six and a half pound .280 Ack Imp mountain rifle as it's a pleasure to shoot due to muzzle brake, recoil pad and more importantly stock shape...Rigid bottom Carbon fibre thumbhole stock and carbon wrapped barrel, titanium metal, aluminium scope, LimbSaver recoil pad and prints 1.25 MOA constantly...Even with the brake off, the stock and the pad make it into a still light recoil (felt) rifle.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,471 Times in 2,925 Posts

Brakes and hiders properly designed don't increase blast to the shooter, the neighbors may be in for some abuse.

I have long been a fan of both, not for any flash reduction but for the control they allow.

Oddly enough, one of my favorites is the LeVang from DPMS, it changes the dynamic of the AR in a beneficial way. The brake dumps everything straight forward, which really works with the AR platform.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,778 Times in 44,509 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11b View Post
It's "muzzle brake." Sorry for the spelling lesson. Minor peeve of mine.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Dangerous Old Man

Thanked 1,202 Times in 526 Posts

J.P. Rifles makes one of the best.

They call it the "Recoil eliminator".

A friend of mine has one on his 7mm Magnum and it feels like a .22.