Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Back To Fitness Blog Purdy Bear Fitness Blogs 43 10-12-2014 04:57 PM
What is a fitness blog? kev Fitness Blogs 3 09-02-2014 04:09 PM
Mike92's Fitness Blog Mike92 Fitness Blogs 4 12-26-2013 02:32 PM
Ghost Fitness blog ghost231 Fitness Blogs 4 12-05-2012 11:46 PM
Loggo's fitness blog Loggo557 Fitness Blogs 3 01-28-2010 08:21 PM
My Fitness blog coinshooter Fitness Blogs 9 01-11-2010 04:36 PM
CitizenDino's fitness blog citizendino Fitness Blogs 5 12-29-2009 02:56 AM
Marine_wannabe's Fitness Blog Marine_wannabe Fitness Blogs 30 12-05-2009 08:21 PM
Paulsonja's fitness blog paulsonja Fitness Blogs 47 03-27-2009 02:48 AM
Stealth_Hawk's fitness blog Stealth_Hawk Fitness Blogs 1 09-21-2008 07:56 AM

Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Canuck_Kyle's fitness Blog

Advertise Here

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the whole survivalist thing, and one thing I'm realizing is that probably one of the first concerns I should have is for my own health and fitness. Just one the many things I have been neglecting.

Over the past 5 to 10 years my father has had several problems which are all aggravated by weight, so I have glimpsed my future.

A couple of weeks ago I stepped on the scales at the doctors and i hit 300lbs even, I'm almost 37, five foot ten and should weigh in somewhere around 180lbs.

So the my major goal is to see the lower side of 200lbs, I need to have cardiovascular strength as well as functional strength if I am going to be useful to those I care about in a post SHTF scenario.

First thing I have done is I'm trying to cut the crap out of my diet. I've completely eliminated soda, I don't drink all that much alcohol and I drinking water like it's going out of style. The hardest thing I'm dealing with is my drive-thru addiction.

I'm walking and cycling in order to get my activity level up and have started looking into fitness clubs but them seem like a bit of a waste of money at this point.

Thanks for listening,

Kyle
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 04:43 PM

Went for an hour long walk yesterday and have sore shins, can anybody suggest a stretch or something to help with the current soreness and prevent future? Or is this one of those "Walk it off, cupcake" kind of scenarios lol
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Canuk,
Congrats on starting your new life style. The biggest thing to remember is to dont let set backs stop you. Most people have a bad eating day or week and then give up. STICK WITH IT!
As far as muscle soreness one thing to try is taking vitamin E supplements. There are two kinds, natural and synthetic. Look at the label. In the US most of the time they are not labelled. Look at the ingredients. I think the natural is dl and the synthetic
is d. The body absorbs 90% of the natural for use. It only absorbs about 17% of synthetic. I cant remember where I got the info from. It may have been from a Mens Health magazine. Take a good multivitamin your body needs all the help it can get. Be picky on the brands you get. Many brands have a gel coating on them and they dont break down in your system.
One book I have is the Abs Diet. Very helpful with food choices and meal plans as well as work out info. Remember, its not a diet, its a change in life style. Thats why diets fail. When you go off a diet you go back to old habits and the weight comes right back on. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks Huckleberry, for the advice and encouragement, I'll look into the vitamins tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I drink your milkshake!

Congrats on the new regimen. Its going to take you 2 or 3 weeks of pain to get back in the game. Go slowly, increase the frequency and intensity, and you should probably consult a physician of the pain increases or does not go away as you get more active.

Take note of high impact exercises, they will hurt more than help. Try some swimming or aqua-fit type stuff to help with cardio and circulation. Eliptical machines and bicycles are excellent.

If you have sore shins from walking, you may want to check where you are walking (terrain) try walking on forest paths rather than gravel, check your shoes, these are often overlooked and play a large part in good foot health, and also check your gait and stride. Are you landing on the balls of your feet, or heel, etc. Probably just the shock of getting physical again, so pop in an Olivia Newton John album, and cinch up your headband.

good Luck.

Last edited by Rutger; 09-10-2008 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: whats a "micycle"?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 PM

This is probably the last place I ever expected an Olivia Newton John reference Good Job and thanks for the suggestions!
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck_KyLe For This Useful Post: