Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to hide an underground shelter? bunkerbulder DIY - Do It Yourself 39 03-27-2015 10:14 PM
Underground Cinder Block Storage CowboyPride Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 53 01-02-2015 10:44 PM
Underground food storage? vedhead10 Food and water 8 06-19-2014 04:37 PM
Small underground storage serpentsdove Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 01-07-2013 12:14 AM
underground storage 13foxtrot Urban Survival 11 02-17-2012 04:26 PM
Hide yo women, hide yo children and hide yo husbands too labotomi Jokes, Humor & Music 10 12-19-2011 09:36 PM
Underground storage tank Boonie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 05-10-2011 09:56 PM
Underground storage question Redlightning01 Urban Survival 9 10-16-2009 06:13 PM
Underground Storage tank08 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 09-09-2008 06:00 PM
Underground storage gunnut14 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 07-19-2008 10:45 PM

View Poll Results: Do you use Hiding places?
yes 26 33.77%
no 14 18.18%
Thinking about it 37 48.05%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 12,842 Times in 4,711 Posts
Default Underground Hide/storage bin

Advertise Here

Anyone using underground buried hiding places?

I believe we all should have a back up area to store emergency items just in case we lose access to our main living/storage building. If you have a Fire or a storm rips your roof off and everything gets destroyed by water. You should have some back up place to store some badly needed items. Like Clothing, Food, water, tent,ammo,weapons etc.
I have a 4 foot x 4 foot by 3 foot deep dock box that is waterproof and strong enough that someone can stand on it while it's buried and camoflaged and never know it.
Inside I keep some cutting tools for Firewood, and a semi-auto weapon and 200 rds ammo, a large dark green heavy-duty tarp, paracord, ammo box of small hand tools, a metal box about 2 foot square w/food and drink mixes and a camp stove. A hand crank radio, a solar battery charger and rechargeable batteries and a walkie talkie set for communicating. And a extra coat and overalls and several pairs of cheap cotton gloves.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Prepared

Unfortunately I dont really have any place I can do this atm but I agree it is something to consider if you live in areas where such disasters are possible/probable.

And I know its not ideal but my best option for now would be renting a storage unit and filling it with gear...all locked and chained of course but I know its still not as secure as burying something on my property by a long shot...
The Following User Says Thank You to Pik4chu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

We have a small (8x10) shed in the back yard for lawnmowers and the like. The floor is treated plywood and when I built the shed I left one full sheet of plywood inside the frame of the shed. Remove 4 screws and it lifts up to expose the Heavy duty plastic foot locker buried below.

We keep wide range of supplies in the foot locker. MREs, hand tools not otherwise in the shed, blankets, clothes, ammo, and other necesseties.

Since the entire panel lifts up there's no 'door' to inadvertently discover. We must nearly empty the shed for access but it helps hide access.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmab For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,753 Times in 1,377 Posts

Yes I do but I am sure that key members of my family know where they are. As kid my uncle who I spent a lot of my youth with hid some of my guns and promptly died before he told me where they were. If you bury anything be sure it is really well prepared for burial. I still have my great grand fathers bayonet and parts of his gun from the War of Northern Aggression. They were buried on our property and I found them as a kid along with some other very interesting things. Unfortunately that was almost a hundred years later. Not much left to see. GB
The Following User Says Thank You to Grinnan Barrett For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 AM
tempus fugit

Thanked 1,002 Times in 380 Posts

Those white buckets (8 or 10 gallon) will work for me. Smaller holes to dig. Might want to draw a map just in case though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2nevermore For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Dont have anything worth hiding.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 PM

used to be anytime the anti-gunners would get worked up I would hear about people buying pvc sewer pipe and caps to make "vaults"to bury their guns...rumors? who knows
The Following User Says Thank You to gymrat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM

I've been thinking about getting a broken chest freezer and burying that in part of my yard where foot traffic is not common as I'm not sure how much weight the lid could support. It would probably be easier to bury a smaller container, but it seems that the insulation provided by the freezer walls would be advantageous.
The Following User Says Thank You to katarn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 12,842 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarn View Post
I've been thinking about getting a broken chest freezer and burying that in part of my yard where foot traffic is not common as I'm not sure how much weight the lid could support. It would probably be easier to bury a smaller container, but it seems that the insulation provided by the freezer walls would be advantageous.
I saw some pictures one time of a Hide box made from a freezer, and the guy attached chicken wire to the top and laced spagum moss and vines thru the wire, he then planted bushes that had runner type roots that grew all thru the wire and moss and it discouraged people from walking directly on the lid of the box. It blended right in with the rest of the plant bed. He just walked up and lifted the lid handle covered by a rock and the hinge pivoted and the whole works came right open. It really was quite smart.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Haven't got around to doing this yet, but I like this one made by southernprepper1.

A lot of folks thought that this was some sort of real situation that he was doing this video after, but it is just staged like a WHAT-IF thing. I saw it right away for what it was, and though right off that it was brillant. I have a couple of places in mind where something like this would be perfect.

Another one that I saw was this one here. Smaller, but still a great way to stash some gear. You just have to find the right location, and consider how to make it weather tight.

And I found this on on root cellars made from water barrels. It could be used for the storage of gear as well.

I've seen and heard of many ways to do these types of storage areas, and have come to the conclusion that they all have something to offer, so I plan to try all of them in some capacity for caches.
Remember........two is one, and one is none.........so make as many as possible, and rotate once or twice a year, any perishables stored in them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIM TIM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM TIM View Post
Haven't got around to doing this yet, but I like this one made by southernprepper1.

A lot of folks thought that this was some sort of real situation that he was doing this video after, but it is just staged like a WHAT-IF thing. I saw it right away for what it was, and though right off that it was brillant. I have a couple of places in mind where something like this would be perfect.

Scenario-A large cache made from a large oil drum. - YouTube

Another one that I saw was this one here. Smaller, but still a great way to stash some gear. You just have to find the right location, and consider how to make it weather tight.

Underground storage container - YouTube

And I found this on on root cellars made from water barrels. It could be used for the storage of gear as well.

Building Barrel Root Cellars - YouTube

I've seen and heard of many ways to do these types of storage areas, and have come to the conclusion that they all have something to offer, so I plan to try all of them in some capacity for caches.
Remember........two is one, and one is none.........so make as many as possible, and rotate once or twice a year, any perishables stored in them.
Good idea's and thanks for the vids on them. I think i will try a few myself.
I wish i could sink a regular container here, but we live on mostly rocks and boulders, darn it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM

I'd think the chest cooler would rust out fairly quickly.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
veritas aequitas

Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmab View Post
We have a small (8x10) shed in the back yard for lawnmowers and the like. The floor is treated plywood and when I built the shed I left one full sheet of plywood inside the frame of the shed. Remove 4 screws and it lifts up to expose the Heavy duty plastic foot locker buried below.

We keep wide range of supplies in the foot locker. MREs, hand tools not otherwise in the shed, blankets, clothes, ammo, and other necesseties.

Since the entire panel lifts up there's no 'door' to inadvertently discover. We must nearly empty the shed for access but it helps hide access.
That is an awesome idea. Thanks! Can you give me an idea what kind of footlocker it is and where you bought it?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM
veritas aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan Barrett View Post
Yes I do but I am sure that key members of my family know where they are. As kid my uncle who I spent a lot of my youth with hid some of my guns and promptly died before he told me where they were. If you bury anything be sure it is really well prepared for burial. I still have my great grand fathers bayonet and parts of his gun from the War of Northern Aggression. They were buried on our property and I found them as a kid along with some other very interesting things. Unfortunately that was almost a hundred years later. Not much left to see. GB
oh no sorry to hear that.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM
veritas aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 wrangler View Post
I'd think the chest cooler would rust out fairly quickly.
would sealing it with something help? Rustoleum?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
used to be anytime the anti-gunners would get worked up I would hear about people buying pvc sewer pipe and caps to make "vaults"to bury their guns...rumors? who knows
This is true, for at least some people. My moms boyfriend has several 8" pvc tubes cut down to about 6 inches longer than the weapon in them, stuffed with a gun and a few hundred rounds of ammo, and some moisture grabbers then sealed and buried around his property. Helped him make a couple so I know it's real. He has about 6 of them, and a few have two rifles in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ariscus99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the ideas but the water table here is only a foot or so with no out buildings around.The sealed pvc my work if it is heavy enough so it wouldn't float.I know the answer is move to higher ground but that is not an option right now.
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Ive womdered about the pvc tubes, but feared dampnes and condensation. anyone tried vaccuum sealing the contents?
The Following User Says Thank You to tunnellprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 PM
veritas aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnellprepper View Post
Ive womdered about the pvc tubes, but feared dampnes and condensation. anyone tried vaccuum sealing the contents?
hmmmm...this made me think of the mylar bag thing--do you think that would work?

also made me think of the vacuum bags that one uses to store clothes and textiles in a fraction of the space. I've used them a few times and they would work quite well to cram a whole lot of stuff into small spaces--sleeping bags, clothing, bulky outerwear, etc.

Just brainstorming here. Thank you for helping get my brain into gear
Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
veritas aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawhead View Post
Thanks for the ideas but the water table here is only a foot or so with no out buildings around.The sealed pvc my work if it is heavy enough so it wouldn't float.I know the answer is move to higher ground but that is not an option right now.
Tony
I have that problem, too, here in central FL...it *really* bugs me not having a basement I really know nothing about what goes on underground, but how do they do it with underground utilities?