Survivalist Forum banner

BOV Weapon considerations

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  WolfSpring 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, searching didn't bring up anything that answered my questions on it though.

So I'm upgrading my BOV kits to include hunting specific weapons. I do some long range travel at times and could get stranded and I have a lot of thoughts on what is the cheapest, less likely to have any issues from weather, and most legal in all situations.

1. I work on a military base which can search my vehicle and even though my firearms are registered on base, they can only be brought on base to go to the fireing range or hunting

2. I live in Colorado we have extreme weather changes, 40-50 degrees overnight at times going from 0-50 or 60-100 is not uncommon at all(maybe this is everywhere but GA and NC it was never that extreme) and at times inside my car it's easily 120.

Those are two of my big factors involved in deciscion making and there are my thoughts.

1. A slingshot, cheap simple, easy to find ammo for if I run out of bearings. I do know how to use it, when I practice I am fairly accurate at middle ranges (20-50 yards) The only consideration on it is weather on the rubber.

2. A pellet rifle - Pump(I already own one I don't use often), inexpensive, ammo is very cheap does not degrade at all for the weather, legal. Cons - can be mistaken for a gun in a search, not the most powerful thing I could use for survival hunting unless I buy one of the expensive ones.

3. A air BB pistol(again I own and rarely use) - Already have it, it's small, easy to hide, ammo does not degrade - Cons same as above with the added factor of the CO2 canisters and the weather.

4. A take down .22/shotgun combo (I own) - Don't even need to list the pros, cons - can not take on Post legally, and I work on post 5 days a week. I "could" conceal it, and the fact I have NEVER been searched, yeah tomorrow I will :thumb: . I'm not big about breaking the law going on a military facility.

These are some of the thoughts I've had on it. These are not all inclusive thoughts but they are what i already have. The basic idea is something I would only ever take out to inspect and practice with. I'm thinking a sling shot may be the best idea as my pellet gun is a cheap $45 650FPS pump and the bb pistol is only like 450FPS. Ideally I think I'd like to buy a more expensive pellet gun.

So what are others experiences on this do you guys have, ammo storage, co2 stoarge, effects of weather. I keep most my gear in an ammo can an it seems to remain cooler than the car inside, it's under my drivers seat, which if I were to get searched would be opened, I'm not keen on hiding a firearm but if I needed to it wouldn't be hard to do, that's not something I'm going to do though. Maybe I'll just have to make a separate bag with the rossi combo and some other stuff that only goes in when i'm not going to work on post(post=military base).

See less See more
#3 ·
So I would literraly be running around chasing the rabbits with this thing? Or maybe use it to chop down the squirells trees, does it double as a fire starter? Or would I do the infamous light sabre throw and use the force to bring it back to me like a boomerang?

#8 ·
A takedown bow could be nice, but arrows are a lot harder than people think to make so ammo would be large. It's a good thought though would fit under the seat quite nicely out of view, I have a small suv and the seats pop up to put the back down. Ammo would not detierate, I am pretty good with a compound bow so shooting a take down would be a feasable transition. I've seen a few of those takedown's specs say they can down medium game from mid distances with the right heads. A cross bow ins't something I would consider, they have the cool factor but nothing I would ever want to use. Good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.