Survivalist Forum banner

Kayak seat is a pain...

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Exarmyguy 
#1 ·
Got one of those sit on top milk jug canoes. Took it out for a little splashing around and realized quickly the angle of the seat back does not conform to my physique. Got a good ab work out but sitting like I'm falling backwards all the time, the seat does not support my shoulders, only goes up to mid point of back. Its a Sun Dolphin Journey. Just wondering what solutions some of you more experienced guys have come up with. The warm weather is creeping up and I hope to get it wet sometime soon.

#4 ·
I have a sit-in kayak (Emotions, Glide) that has a nice seat with a high back. I had never tried a sit-on kayak like you discribed until this year at Scout camp. Took one out for a try and I thought I'd have to be crippled for life after 10 minutes in the thing! The way you sit you're leaning back with no seat back. I don't think there's a fix for that, portable seat backs would be a pain due shifting around while you paddle. I have seen sit-ons with nice seats but I'd test one before buying.

#5 ·
You should be able to find an adjustable kayak seat to retrofit. You may need to install some deck loops and reinforce the mounting points. It looks like the journey costs about $300?
I am not trying to start an argument but if you look at $1000 and up kayaks you will see the adjustability/versatility, and design that went into them. I have two ocean kayaks, an old town kayak, and an old town canoe. I have rented a Jackson fishing kayak in Canada for a tournament and that was really nice as well.
Even on the higher quality kayaks, there are sometimes a seat upgrade. I would keep an eye on craigslist, garage sales, eBay, etc. You might find a decent seat that was standard equipment on a more costly kayak that will work well for $50 or something. Maybe check the kayak and canoe shops...they might have things sitting around collecting dust that may work for you.
A talented upholstery shop that does boat covers and snowmobile seats may be able to make something for you as well for a decent price.
It could also be a fun project to make yourself if you have the time.
We had a short and mild winter here in Missoula, MT....all of our boats should be getting wet early this year!
Paddle on!

#8 ·
I am not trying to start an argument but if you look at $1000 and up kayaks you will see the adjustability/versatility, and design that went into them.
Paddle on!
It was closer to $450 all told when I got it. I had $300 from health bene's at work to spend on sporting equipment else I loose it. This seemed a good versatile entry level point for kayak and it fit my long legs. Did a bit of research but some questions I just didn't know to ask. It's actually the fishing version... already had a 17ft Old Town canoe. Oddly, the wife just got a nice Old Town sit in kayak as her 30 year gift from her work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Same here. The seat absolutely killed my old back. I like my canoe better. My 18’ aluminum Grumman can carry my mountain bike, cooler and backpack better.

Reactions: Don H
#12 ·
Kayaking is awesome but you made one of the bigger mistakes when buying a kayak....shopping by price.

As an experienced paddler you have two options....depending on your level of interest and commitment to paddling.

1. Resell or return the kayak. Then take your time to go do to a professional paddling store and be fitted for a kayak. As mentioned above there are reasons that good kayaks cost what they do. Once fitted you may be able to find a pre-owned one for not too much more than a new Ching-chow brand kayak. As an additional thought....did you buy a paddle that fits your height?

2. Try to mount some type of seat as pictured above. Changing out the seat may also change the center of gravity and make the boat more tippy....especially when you hook s large fish.....again check your paddle size.

HK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.