Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Combat styles: Pros and cons? Rob Raskin Urban Survival 240 Yesterday 07:40 PM
On Combat what chapter is On Combat Critical Incident Stress Debriefing wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 0 04-20-2018 08:48 AM
The Keltec (not quite ready for Combat) KSG Shotgun Indra Shotgun Forum 6 10-28-2017 12:33 PM
Smith?s New Combat Magnum Revolvers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-12-2017 08:00 PM
SHOT 2017: New Colt Combat Commander 1911 Pistol AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-08-2017 06:30 PM

Old 11-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,080 Times in 676 Posts
Default Combat hapkido

Advertise Here

Anyone doing it?

Im considering learning it or Krav Maga. I know there are alot of Krav fans here but i cant find a school close to me
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,032 Times in 3,750 Posts

I have not trained in hapkido but it is a good alternative to krav, given the various techniques employed...

it is a mash up of, japanese jujitsu (joint locks/small circle stuff) (not the gracie stuff) judo, (throws/grappling) tae kwon do (kicks/punching) ...

the only issue i envision is the length of time to become more or less proficient, this is where a decent krav school has the advantage, as krav is designed to have a steep but short learning curve, given its original role and background from military combatives to teach soldiers simple, functional, brutal and effecient skills in a short time frame...

I have trained in Krav, Judo, Muay Thai and .mil stuff back in the 80's. but always come back to krav...

however, go train, learn what you can, cherry pick the tools for your toolbox, and drive on....

'tis better to have a good plan executed today than a perfect plan next week....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Hunter

Thanks for your response. Ibwas told that the reason Krav schools are difficult to find is because of liability issues. Meaning the school gets in leagal trouble of you kick someone's butt

Old 11-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Lux in Tenebris

^^then the school has lousy policy policies and poor attorneys to write exclusions and disclaimers.

The Krav school i go to here in Charlotte makes it very clear that this is hands on and the potential for injury is there and everyone signs an iron clad waiver.

Now, that does not mean we beat the **** out of each other but we do spar/fight/grapple/choke/etc...

When we use weapons like training knives and sticks, **** happens sometimes...

I have various injuries as a result, some permanent broken knuckles and a busted knee cap that has since healed, but yes, you will feel the pain in training so you don't bleed on the street....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
^^then the school has lousy policy policies and poor attorneys to write exclusions and disclaimers.

The Krav school i go to here in Charlotte makes it very clear that this is hands on and the potential for injury is there and everyone signs an iron clad waiver.

Now, that does not mean we beat the **** out of each other but we do spar/fight/grapple/choke/etc...

When we use weapons like training knives and sticks, **** happens sometimes...

I have various injuries as a result, some permanent broken knuckles and a busted knee cap that has since healed, but yes, you will feel the pain in training so you don't bleed on the street....
Sorry. I was refferring to if you as a student used krav in self defense, and beat the perp to the point they sued you for excessive force.. It could fall back on the school
Old 11-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Target Shooter

Hapkido is a complete system, if you have a decent instructor don't hesitate.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:21 PM
タロン

Thanked 1,078 Times in 341 Posts

I always recommend boxing, wrestling or preferably both. There is a reason why those to disciplines dominate in MMA.
The Following User Says Thank You to blunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunky View Post
I always recommend boxing, wrestling or preferably both. There is a reason why those to disciplines dominate in MMA.
Thanks. But honestly i cant stand being wrapped up like a pretzel with another man. I did BBJ for a few months a whike back. I hated it. I was decent but I really hated it
Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM
Lux in Tenebris

With respect to MMA fighting, there are rules and it mano a mano, with no weapons, and no debilitating strikes or other nasty h2h tactics used.

this is why wrestling or bjj is so popular and effective.

on the street, or battlefield, there are no rules and most likely one will face multiple adversaries and going to the ground is a death sentence and boot party.

this is why we train to fight on the ground, but the goal is ALWAYS to get on ones feet.

with respect to being sued, you will be sued no matter the system if you use excessive force or other tactics like boot stomping someone who is on the ground and perceived to be helpless or out of the fight.

this is why you must know the laws governing self defense in your state.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,427 Times in 8,135 Posts

If it doesn't look like MMA you are probably doing it wrong.

Because that is pretty much the result of two guys fighting each other.

So the hapkido school should still be punching kicking and grabbing guys who are punching, kicking and grappling back.

On top of that throw as much street as you want.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 PM
タロン

Thanked 1,078 Times in 341 Posts

Anyone that thinks that a backflipping, triple axle, Hapkido kick is more street worthy than a good right cross, has never been in or seen a real fight.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,398 Times in 2,469 Posts

I took Hapkido many years ago. like many martial arts there was too much flash moves. High head kick stuff ,spin arounds. We actually spared so it was ok for that. Getting use to being hit is helpful.