Florida Stand Your Ground Incident - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1009 10-19-2018 06:55 PM
Florida senator pushes bill on stand your ground law Nefarious1 General Discussion 12 07-26-2018 05:46 PM
Florida governor declares state of emergency in advance of speech by Spencer Indra Manmade and Natural Disasters 37 10-20-2017 09:51 PM
Staying put during Irma - south florida Revmgt General Discussion 131 09-23-2017 12:06 AM
Endangered Florida Key deer euthanized after capture by men AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-10-2017 08:00 PM

Old 07-22-2018, 05:27 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default Florida Stand Your Ground Incident

Advertise Here

In Clear Water Florida a couple were parked in a handicap zone. Neither of them were handicapped and shouldnt have been there. The boyfriend, Markeis McGlockton, went into a store for some snacks. Michael Drejka who was the self appointed handicap parking zone enforcer came to tell the women, Britany Jacobs, the law of handicap parking and to tell her to move. It should be noted that Michael Drejka has had many incidents in the past several months with yelling at people to move when they were in handicap parking spots.

The argument between Michael Drejka and Britany Jacobs became heated. As Markeis McGlockton exited the store he saw the argument going on between his girlfriend and Michael Drejka. Approaching Michael Drejka, Markeis McGlockton shoved Michael Drejka away from Britany Jacobs. Sitting on the ground Michael Drejka reached into his pocket and shot Markeis McGlockton once in the chest and he died a few minutes later.

Pinellas County Sheriff, Bob Gualtieri, has stated that there will be no charges pressed against Michael Drejka because Florida Stand Your Ground Laws state that if a person fears for their safety they have the right to shoot the person.

Now, I believe in Stand Your Ground Laws in most cases. However, in this case, where the shooter is the one who started the incident, this just isnt right. If this stands, you could basically go up to someone, start beating them up and as soon as they defend themself you can shoot them. Perhaps thats exaggerating it a bit but that is what it seems to me going just from this article.

By the way, the article is https://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-par...ry?id=56715356

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban

Last edited by hawk55732; 07-22-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2018, 05:39 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 59,930 Times in 18,484 Posts

Is that a fake news site?

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/don...-news-sites/3/

Sorry, Maybe it is real.
I thought that was the site name that fooled me once before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 PM
The Hawks Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Is that a fake news site?
Then google the story for the site of your choice.

- Tyler Durban
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,639 Times in 1,108 Posts

I read this a while ago also. It's a bad shoot and he should be charged but it sounds to me the sheriff is using this as a political stunt against the stand your ground rule.
Another shameful libtard Florida sheriff!
Old 07-22-2018, 05:46 PM
The Hawks Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroo View Post
I read this a while ago also. It's a bad shoot and he should be charged but it sounds to me the sheriff is using this as a political stunt against the stand your ground rule.
Another shameful libtard Florida sheriff!
You could be right but I wouldnt think that the sheriff would be the one to decide whether to charge him or not. Isnt that the job of prosecutors?

This could also just be a bad consequence of a badly written law.

- Tyler Durban
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,778 Times in 7,041 Posts

Yeah, not fake, but it sure is a very weak case of stand your ground. There are a number of ways this may have been prevented, but one thing not described is the level of "rage" (for lack of a better term) of the one that guy shot. That would be a factor in how the shooter reacted.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 05:57 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 8,260 Times in 1,978 Posts

IMO, the shooter instigated the altercation. There would have been no attack if the shooter had just taken a picture of the illegally parked car and called the cops. They probably would not have responded unless they were bored, but that is another story. This is a bad shoot imo. He should be charged and tried. Allow a jury to decide. JMO YMMV
Old 07-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,519 Times in 548 Posts

Hawk, I think you are right this is just a bad consequence of a badly written law. The shooter instigated the altercation and then shot the other man who seemed to me to be protecting his girl friend. I don't see stand your ground in this instance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
In Clear Water Florida a couple were parked in a handicap zone. Neither of them were handicapped and shouldnt have been there. The boyfriend, Markeis McGlockton, went into a store for some snacks. Michael Drejka who was the self appointed handicap parking zone enforcer came to tell the women, Britany Jacobs, the law of handicap parking and to tell her to move. It should be noted that Michael Drejka has had many incidents in the past several months with yelling at people to move when they were in handicap parking spots.

The argument between Michael Drejka and Britany Jacobs became heated. As Markeis McGlockton exited the store he saw the argument going on between his girlfriend and Michael Drejka. Approaching Michael Drejka, Markeis McGlockton shoved Michael Drejka away from Britany Jacobs. Sitting on the ground Michael Drejka reached into his pocket and shot Markeis McGlockton once in the chest and he died a few minutes later.

Pinellas County Sheriff, Bob Gualtieri, has stated that there will be no charges pressed against Michael Drejka because Florida Stand Your Ground Laws state that if a person fears for their safety they have the right to shoot the person.

Now, I believe in Stand Your Ground Laws in most cases. However, in this case, where the shooter is the one who started the incident, this just isnt right. If this stands, you could basically go up to someone, start beating them up and as soon as they defend themself you can shoot them. Perhaps thats exaggerating it a bit but that is what it seems to me going just from this article.

By the way, the article is https://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-par...ry?id=56715356
I need to check the article but based off what you said here, even if he has a history of hassling people about the parking spots, seems like he was in the right.

I think you want the law not to apply in this case because he was being an ass, but that's not how it works lol.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,495 Times in 4,334 Posts

This is local politicians trying to gin up support against Stand Your Ground. I know this because all the news stories lead with "Stand Your Ground Shooting!!!".

You people are taking the bait and arguing about the shooting as if the sheriff, the media or the Democratic Party gives a hoot about the dead guy or your opinion. They don't. They just want an excuse to disarm you and toss you into jail when you defend yourself.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,962 Times in 369 Posts

So the guy starts a bunch of crap over a handicap parking space, but his self righteous ass can't handle being shoved to the ground and he kills the guy for it?

**** on him. I hope he's charged. Idiots like him give gun owners a bad name.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 17,626 Times in 5,793 Posts

I haven't read the Florida law on stand your ground specifically. I know here in Texas there is a clause within the law that states if YOU instigated the confrontation you can still make a self defense case in court but the fact you ( the shooter ) causing the situation to escalate to deadly force makes proving you feared for your life very hard to prove.

Stand your ground doesn't specifically cover use of deadly force anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but stand your ground simply means a citizen has no duty to retreat. In many states, use of deadly force is only authorized if an individual makes an effort to escape/retreat from the situation before resorting to deadly force. In self defense cases a person almost always prove they feared for their life to be protected under the law for self defense.

To me, I believe it's a bad shoot here.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 PM
The Hawks Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
I need to check the article but based off what you said here, even if he has a history of hassling people about the parking spots, seems like he was in the right.

I think you want the law not to apply in this case because he was being an ass, but that's not how it works lol.

No, I dont think it should apply here because the shooter is the one who started the incident.

Imagine this scenario. You are walking down the street. Someone comes up to you and starts yelling at you, getting in your face and shoves or hits you. In your self defense you shove him away from you and he falls to the ground. If they are to apply the stand your ground law equally in both cases, the guy who you just pushed away from you would be in the right to take out a firearm and shoot you.

Does that seem to you the reason that the stand your ground laws were written?

- Tyler Durban
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 26,280 Times in 7,035 Posts

Quote:

Speech is not violence. The guy who crossed the line and initiated violence is the one who got shot. If you use violence against others, you grant them permission to use violence against you. Don't want violence used against you? Don't use it against others.

The guy can be rude, and he can be a total *******. Tell him he's rude and an ******* and move on. However you do not initiate violence.

Or would you think it appropriate for Antifa to start shooting conservatives for 'hate speech'?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 PM
The Hawks Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Speech is not violence. The guy who crossed the line and initiated violence is the one who got shot. If you use violence against others, you grant them permission to use violence against you. Don't want violence used against you? Don't use it against others.

The guy can be rude, and he can be a total *******. Tell him he's rude and an ******* and move on. However you do not initiate violence.
Should a shove equal the death penalty?

Here is the law.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0776.013.html

- Tyler Durban
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,667 Times in 6,596 Posts

Quote:

There was no reason for taking the man's life. I agree with Drejka and despise people that illegally use handicap, fire zones, etc. I might even block someone in but there is a line to every protest disagreement.

I also support stand your ground laws however misuses such as this is only going to get them repealed.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
No, I dont think it should apply here because the shooter is the one who started the incident.

Imagine this scenario. You are walking down the street. Someone comes up to you and starts yelling at you, getting in your face and shoves or hits you. In your self defense you shove him away from you and he falls to the ground. If they are to apply the stand your ground law equally in both cases, the guy who you just pushed away from you would be in the right to take out a firearm and shoot you.

Does that seem to you the reason that the stand your ground laws were written?
Your scenario is flawed because it involves the person initiating violence and physically assaulting you with shoving and striking and then you responding in kind.

Again.. whoever initiates violence is forfeiting their life. Don't cross that line.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Should a shove equal the death penalty?

Here is the law.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0776.013.html
If it qualifies as a forcible felony, then yes. In my state it does if it inflicts pain or injury. It might be a misdemeanor assault in Florida. I'd need to see their assault laws.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 32,840 Times in 9,249 Posts

From the fact presented,

Stand your grounds got nothing to do with it. The shooter was never in his house or property, or trying to prevent the theft of his house or property, or protecting another person.

This is an old fashion start a fight, get your ass kicked, then shoot the other guy because you lost.

But this is Pinellas county Florida (same area as the Zimmerman shooting) and home to the most anti gun Cops in that state.

Edit, I just read the Florida law, what a piece of crap. My head hurts.

Cant wait for Obama to tell us how the shooting victim looks and acts just like his kids.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,955 Times in 3,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post

Agree. The guy pushed the shooter down hard and was walking up on him until he pulled his gun. If I was pushed down like that and someone was advancing on me I would assume he's approaching to inflict further harm.
If the guy is a ball buster over parking spaces that makes him an annoying *******, but if it was okay to put my hands on everyone I thought was an annoying ******* I'd have no stress.
You can't physically assault someone for being an *******, that said, the dead guy shouldn't have assaulted the shooter.

Would I have shot him in that situation? No.