Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older 40 x 400 chicken house on possible homestead property Bellyman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 06-10-2017 10:21 AM
Property tips Red Dirt Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 05-09-2017 07:18 PM
Soros and Dems trying to lower voting age to 16 Justme11 Political News and Discussion 109 03-29-2017 06:10 AM
What to do with people on your land? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 72 01-29-2017 07:29 PM
This Thanksgiving let's think of the Pilgrims and private property rights RKW General Discussion 2 11-23-2016 01:33 PM

Old 04-11-2018, 05:40 AM

Advertise Here

Water's too fast for fly fishing!

Seriously, that could do some serious damage if it got over the wash. I'm curious to see what my property will be like during serious rainstorms.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Veprjack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veprjack View Post
Water's too fast for fly fishing!

Seriously, that could do some serious damage if it got over the wash. I'm curious to see what my property will be like during serious rainstorms.
The one neighbor who has been there longer said he had seen the water about 6 feet deep going over that road in the past.

There are 3 potential water crossings on our single road to town which is why we left a day early back in Feb when rain was forecast, since if the water is running in any of them it is a case of you-simply-can't-get-there-from-here. The same neighbor I mentioned also said he once saw the wash closest to town run for 3 days.

In my particular case we have to keep an eye not only on our local weather but also for what's happening 40 miles to the south as well. Since the water that flows through the 3 washes is mostly runoff from the higher elevations in that direction.

As for me (and my neighbors) there is no worry about water getting out of the wash as our houses and anything else important are way higher then the wash. Flood would have to be "Biblical" to give us any worries in that regard. LOL

We did get some rain last month and I learned that unless I like a mess, to NOT go into town until after at least 3 days of clear skies, to let everything dry up. Easy for us since we are retired but both my neighbors work daily in town. LOL

Unless your lot has drainage across it (use satellite view to check for signs of water flow) the biggest worry on your property is the mess mud will make of your shoes, etc and how to keep from tracking it into the house and getting all over your equipment. Use topo and satellite views in Google Earth to ensure you aren't setting your buildings in danger areas.

You also need to look at the entirety of your access route to town and identify possible water-flow/washout/mud areas that can be barriers to travel during (and soon after) a storm. Check if there is an alternate route that is along higher ground which would let you bypass those if possible.

My neighbor had to go pull his wife's female friend's AWD Escape out of the mud last month. Proving that a vehicle which "might" work in dry times (absent soft areas) simply won't cut it at all once water is added to the mix. Ground clearance, aggressive tires, lockers and engine power is what's needed but even then driving skill is still a big factor.

I'm sure the several hipster(?) driven Priuses I see going down the county gravel past my property are REALLY hating life in the rain, as all the roads inside the Ranches to their houses are bare dirt. LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 AM

Luckily, a couple of people is all that would be needed to pick up a Prius and carry it out of the mud KIDDING - they are screwed!

I'm not sure what to expect during heavy rain on the 20+ miles of 191 from my place to town. But, like you, I will be able to stay put for a few days if I need to, in order to let things dry out. My lot shows signs of getting somewhat soft/muddy during heavy rains, so I will have to be selective in where to put buildings, etc. Supposedly, the "developer" has greatly improved the streets leading up to my lot; we'll see...

Yes, I had stumbled on a story about rain storms that happened miles away causing problems in my "neighborhood". I know that hikers who take the chance of cutting through Arroyos have to monitor the weather "upstream". In some places, rope ladders have been attached to the sides of the arroyos, in the hope that "uninformed tourists or the unwary" might have a fighting chance of escape, once they hear the roar of THAT train! Whew - not for me. Too often, they say that people wouldn't stand a chance.

Well, the rainy season is approaching, so I wish you luck. And, with any luck on my end, I'll join you in the serious "hobby" of watching the local and "upstream" weather reports - soon!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veprjack For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Semper Fi

On Hwy 191 you are fine, as it is paved and has bridges over the washes. It is the dirt roads inside the Ranch that will give you problems. Though I don't remember how far off pavement your property is located.

The Prius is even okay in the rain on the graded gravel County Road that goes past my place (as long as a wash isn't running), it's again when they turn off into the various Ranches and their plain dirt roads that they are now faced with mud. The neighbor's rescue of the Escape was on a Ranch road.

I doubt the "improvements" the developer made extend beyond just getting the road graded a bit better or possibly just doing it on a more regular schedule, as they tend to neglect the roads that don't have people living full time down them. It would cost WAY too much to turn it into a gravel road and I guarantee you there isn't a lick of pavement or attempt at elevating a road across a wash either.

In fact from what I was seeing while looking around at some Ranches it seems sections of some roads are actually IN the washes or across flat areas that water will obviously run down into, as it is easier (cheaper) then trying to bulldoze a new route. Of course this isn't pointed out to potential buyers and might not be discovered by them for years, as the rains have to come in such a way as to affect those specific roads.

Even here in 29 we get things washed out and flooded (somewhere) every year but a specific road/area might not see such for many years, until the rain is in just the right spot.

The HOA in my Ranch keeps reminding homeowners at meetings to NOT try to drive until the roads have had a chance to dry out, as it costs the Association money to have our roadgrader keep coming to pull them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 PM

IMHO, there's a LOT of roads running through SMR - too much to pave. I think they "improved" it just enough to satisfy some perspective buyers with RVs. So, as long as 191 is OK, I might be able to walk a moped or bicycle out to it, if I was desperate. I'd have to be desperate to ride a bicycle 25 miles ONE WAY, on some of the most dangerous roads (in terms of deaths from vehicle accidents) in the country! lol...

Also, I DO own a kayak!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veprjack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Semper Fi

Had the first snow of the year last month.

Didn't last long though. Went from gray skies to flurries, then came down pretty hard (ended up with about double what you see in pictures), then tapered off and out came bright blue skies and it all melted. It all happened within an hour or so.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,247 Times in 2,662 Posts

Steve_In_29, somehow I missed this thread from earlier in the year. That's a nice spread in a great location. I am glad you found like minded neighbors, as that is so important! I am not sure what grows well in that area, but it looks like you have more than enough space to grow some things if you are so inclined. It also looks like a nice place to use solar and be self sufficient. Enjoy your transition to the country. From personal experience, I can guarantee that you will not run out of projects and things to do on your property. The list only grows longer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:55 PM
Semper Fi

Snow isn't entirely new to us though. Here is our place in 29 Palms (in the Mojave Desert). You would be surprised at the number of people who think it can't snow somewhere that sees 100+ degree temps for months at a time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Semper Fi

We moved a step closer to finally getting totally out of CA today when the sale of our house here closed. We meet with the new owners (our neighbor) tomorrow to sign the rental agreement to rent it back until everything else is completed for the final move.

In Sept we had some grading work done for another shed as well as where the shop is going. Last month we got the new shed put up and had the same lean-to on it added to the existing shed. We moved about a cord and a half from the big pile in the yard into the lean-to before we went back to CA.

Concrete work for the shop is on schedule to start the 12th of this month.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Semper Fi

We also picked up a puppy last month and he is at least twice the size now. He was amazed at the snow and likes to hunt lizards, so possibly a ratter when he grows up..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 PM

I spent some time there while elk hunting the Gila national Forest just across the NM border. Nice little town. Picked up a sack of hatch Chile's to haul back to Texas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I spent some time there while elk hunting the Gila national Forest just across the NM border. Nice little town. Picked up a sack of hatch Chile's to haul back to Texas.
Thanks, the more time we spend there the more we are liking it.

Aren't Hatch Chile's available where you live in TX? My friend here in CA has his daughter send him Hatchs from where she lives near DFW in TX.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 06:03 AM

They sell them here (expensive), but I believe they all come from NM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
They sell them here (expensive), but I believe they all come from NM
Ah ok.

I know my in CA new neighbor's parents (Hispanic) are from NM and they source Hatch's there for her.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:10 AM
Target Shooter

FWIW - IMO this type of area is a good place to look out for, when bugging out. For sure, there is the potential for people who are State- or drug-dependent (often the same thing) to demand of present residents what they feel is their entitlement, even after It Hits The Fan. And, yes, it is geographically accessible to people coming up from metro-Phoenix and other hot-mess EBT-zones assuming they have enough gas and vehicular endurance.

That stipulated, in my opinion it is sufficiently remote from those places to make it difficult to get to; and it is sufficiently visibly inhospitable to those people who expect things to be easy for them, because Guvvermin, after The Fan Is Impacted. Especially, if the weather is wintry.

If I end up stuck in the West, I'll be heading for my property in this area. A certain amount of planning will help; I don't intend to be a beggar. But not everything can be comprehensively planned for. Anyway, I never expected to get off the planet alive :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoc View Post
FWIW - IMO this type of area is a good place to look out for, when bugging out. For sure, there is the potential for people who are State- or drug-dependent (often the same thing) to demand of present residents what they feel is their entitlement, even after It Hits The Fan. And, yes, it is geographically accessible to people coming up from metro-Phoenix and other hot-mess EBT-zones assuming they have enough gas and vehicular endurance.

That stipulated, in my opinion it is sufficiently remote from those places to make it difficult to get to; and it is sufficiently visibly inhospitable to those people who expect things to be easy for them, because Guvvermin, after The Fan Is Impacted. Especially, if the weather is wintry.

If I end up stuck in the West, I'll be heading for my property in this area. A certain amount of planning will help; I don't intend to be a beggar. But not everything can be comprehensively planned for. Anyway, I never expected to get off the planet alive :-)
While as you point out at just over 200 miles distance St John's is indeed reachable from Phoenix, one deterrent that works in our favor is that things start to look pretty barren after passing Show Low and heading towards Concho. I would venture most people exiting the Valley would stop and spread out in the forested areas of the mountains rather then continuing out into the open grasslands.

Another is that the area is not really on the way to anywhere else. Worst case I guess the road through St John's could be seen by some as an alternate route to Gallup NM and points east. Though that road could be easily blocked by locals in multiple locations if need be.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Semper Fi

It warmed up enough last week to get the slab for our shop down.

Hopefully the metal building will go up next month but I might get delayed until Jan due to the company's vacation days.

You can also see how much dirt the grader had to move to flatten things out. Upside is it gives me plenty of room to park things like trailers behind the shop.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Semper Fi

We aren't there right now but the neighbor sent a picture of the latest snow. Melted already though.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Semper Fi

Shop went up a week ago but the concrete out front will need to wait for warmer weather now.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Semper Fi

It was sure nice to be able to have my truck parked inside the shop when this weather rolled in a few days later.