Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older 40 x 400 chicken house on possible homestead property Bellyman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 06-10-2017 10:21 AM
Property tips Red Dirt Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 05-09-2017 07:18 PM
Soros and Dems trying to lower voting age to 16 Justme11 Political News and Discussion 109 03-29-2017 06:10 AM
What to do with people on your land? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 72 01-29-2017 07:29 PM
This Thanksgiving let's think of the Pilgrims and private property rights RKW General Discussion 2 11-23-2016 01:33 PM

Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 AM

Advertise Here

Im doing 40 acres in concho 11 miles from showlow
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hooch33 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,931 Times in 3,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch33 View Post
Im doing 40 acres in concho 11 miles from showlow
Already purchased the property? According to my LEO neighbor the area between Concho and Show Low has a lot of crime (mostly thefts) due to meth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 PM

hey steve, any updates? I PMd you. I have been looking at land in St. Johns (i'm in phoenix now). About a 4 hours drive and 220 miles so I could get there on a tank of gas if need be. Land there is quite cheap and remote enough to be away from the riff raff, but close enough to civilization that supplies and services are still available fairly easily.

update us!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floridanurse For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Semper Fi

I got the PM and sent you a reply.

Not much to update. We are still tied to CA by my wife's work comp case that is dragging on and so are splitting our time between the two houses.

Had a new 12'x20' shed built last month and are still needing a 30'x40'ish sized garage put up before we could fully move anyways. Had the metal roof resealed after 14 years of no maintenance and are getting new windows this month.

It was 17 degres that morning.

Apparently it has been a mild winter from what I have been told with temps in tens/20's at night and warming up to the 40's, 50's and even into the low 60's during the day. There was a bit of snow the weekend after we left last month but it melted quickly.

Looking from my neighbor's porch, the slight rise to the right of center is our house's location.

I did score (40) 55 gal drums of various types as well as (8) 275 gal totes that I split with my neighbor and his dad (who also lives out there). All drums/totes are once used and the totes are food grade as are most of the drums. I will hopefully be able to pick up a trailer full of pallets this time (just have to wait for some construction to be finished at my source). Got all that for free.

The more time we spend in AZ and St John's in particular the more we are liking it. I have met several CA transplants there (the good kinds, not liberal douche bags). Two of whom, opened businesses there. Also several escapees from the Phoenix area, one of whom opened the pizza/ice cream shop in town.

City Hall and part of the main drag. There are no stop lights in St John's.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 02-04-2018 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,434 Times in 5,453 Posts

WOW.....I haven't been down that street in 25 years. I should take a couple of days and get over there and into Springerville, Alpine and Luna Lake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:26 PM

Hey Steve,

Good to see your progress and fantastic pics from your porches. I am hoping to be out there within the year. I might even get out there for a week in 3 months to scope things out.

My land is raw and undeveloped. It doesn't even have a driveway, let alone a house or any structure. So, I'm in a very different situation than you are. But, I'm just as excited as you about living there.

The broker who sold me the land told me they don't allow shooting, so I plan on joining that gun club you mentioned. But, I was hoping to do some running and gunning on steel targets to prepare for 2 Gun matches, so that BLM land you shoot at sounds great.

I'll email you when I know the dates I'll be out there, so I can buy you lunch and pick your brain about the area, where to shop, etc.

Thanks neighbor!

Jack
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veprjack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veprjack View Post
Hey Steve,

Good to see your progress and fantastic pics from your porches. I am hoping to be out there within the year. I might even get out there for a week in 3 months to scope things out.

My land is raw and undeveloped. It doesn't even have a driveway, let alone a house or any structure. So, I'm in a very different situation than you are. But, I'm just as excited as you about living there.

The broker who sold me the land told me they don't allow shooting, so I plan on joining that gun club you mentioned. But, I was hoping to do some running and gunning on steel targets to prepare for 2 Gun matches, so that BLM land you shoot at sounds great.

I'll email you when I know the dates I'll be out there, so I can buy you lunch and pick your brain about the area, where to shop, etc.

Thanks neighbor!

Jack
There is a big difference between can't and not allowed. The Sheriff won't enforce the HOA's rule as it is legal to shoot on your property in AZ and the HOA has no way of enforcing it themselves. So as long as your rounds aren't impacting in your neighbors property there is no issue.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:28 AM

Makes sense to me. I was somewhat disappointed when the broker told me it's a no-no to shoot. Being near or virtually on Indian land, and having "free-range" cattle walking through, I thought maybe it had to do with those, or similar reasons.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:18 PM

I looked at Saint Johns in 2005. I talked with numerous well drillers in the area and none sounded real positive. Kept saying "hit and miss" a lot.. Made me nervous. I liked the area but ended up in Cochise county because I figured at the time that it had a better water supply. It also has a small military base with lots of generators should the grid go down. ( as well as security in case of total society collapse.) Cannot beat the weather down here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetoad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Semper Fi

We got more snow last week but it was still melted by later in the day. This was supposed to have been rain, which we left a day early to avoid on our return to CA but the neighbor sent us these pictures of their place from last Thursday morning. Every little bit helps for the drought though.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post
I looked at Saint Johns in 2005. I talked with numerous well drillers in the area and none sounded real positive. Kept saying "hit and miss" a lot.. Made me nervous. I liked the area but ended up in Cochise county because I figured at the time that it had a better water supply. It also has a small military base with lots of generators should the grid go down. ( as well as security in case of total society collapse.) Cannot beat the weather down here.
Pretty much every where in AZ is hit or miss for a well though as the water table can vary greatly from property to property. My property is on a 500 foot well but just a few miles down the road the water is well over 1000 feet down. There is a website for the AZ State Well Registry that can give some idea of the water depth (if there are other wells already drilled nearby).

We had considered southern AZ but decided against it due to the drugs/illegals funneling through the area. Not much of a problem if you live in town but we didn't want to have to deal with them on a secluded property in the boonies. Plus we wanted something with a bit more vegetation.

Unless you are in the town right next to that military base (and possibly not even then) I wouldn't count on those generators to be taking up the slack as far as a grid down situation. Unless you are talking about possibly "acquiring" one and getting it off the base during the event.

29 Palms despite being butted up against the large Marine Base won't be seeing any of their power as there is no way to transfer it to the town. Despite that 29 is actually in a really good situation for a total grid down scenario as there are a couple large solar fields here locally that with minimal effort could be separated from the State grid and kept on the local grid to the town.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Makes sense to me. I was somewhat disappointed when the broker told me it's a no-no to shoot. Being near or virtually on Indian land, and having "free-range" cattle walking through, I thought maybe it had to do with those, or similar reasons.

Thanks!
The restriction has more to do with them mostly selling the properties as idyllic desert getaways to city folk who wanted to be one with nature and are often scared of guns. That being said the bozo who thinks it's the wild west and can't be bothered to have a proper backstop is an issue as well.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:22 PM

Yup - for the first 10 minutes after the broker told me "no shooting", I was confused and upset. But, the more I thought about it, who knows what could happen if some yahoo didn't know how far a bullet could travel. When I get out there, I'll ease into things and see what's going on.

You mentioned BLM land that you can shoot on. Is it north of you? I think I'll probably 20 miles or so north of you.

Take care!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Yup - for the first 10 minutes after the broker told me "no shooting", I was confused and upset. But, the more I thought about it, who knows what could happen if some yahoo didn't know how far a bullet could travel. When I get out there, I'll ease into things and see what's going on.

You mentioned BLM land that you can shoot on. Is it north of you? I think I'll probably 20 miles or so north of you.

Take care!
There is BLM land just east of me on the same road (though I have seen conflicting designations on it between BLM and State Trust) but I haven't done any shooting on it yet. My neighbor and I are setting up an area for shooting on his property and that is where I have been getting my gunpowder fix so far.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:48 AM

That sounds great! I was hoping to shoot some steel targets, so I don't think they'd let me do that + run 'n gun drills at that range.

I'll let you know if I can get out there this spring!
Old 02-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,434 Times in 5,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
We got more snow last week but it was still melted by later in the day. This was supposed to have been rain, which we left a day early to avoid on our return to CA but the neighbor sent us these pictures of their place from last Thursday morning. Every little bit helps for the drought though.
Indeed. Sedona area got something like 4 inches of snow and here in the Prescott - Prescott Valley area we received a couple inches. Didn't stay long but like you said, every bit helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Semper Fi

For anyone interested, here is the webste for the gun range in St John's.

http://www.nasashootingsports.com/aboutus.html
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Semper Fi

Another view of downtown St John's. The old High School turned County Annex around Christmas time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Semper Fi

We had the clouds come down to visit us when we were in AZ last month.

What you see on a clear day (my closest neighbor).

Old 04-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Semper Fi

Last July we had a bit of water running through the wash on my property.