Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 17 02-14-2018 04:40 AM
Not the typical dog thread kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 01-22-2017 04:36 PM

Old 12-25-2016, 06:17 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy88 View Post
True the hardcor burglars can get past dogs but a lot of them just don't want to take the time and move on pretty much our problems are people on drugs on people letting their teens run wild in both cases a big looking fighting dog can make them back off also handle business if it comes to that I am looking at mostly the bigger buller breeds the main two being the American bull dog and the dogo but I also like the American ban dog if anyone has any experience with them I like them because they seem not to be the most high energy dogs always want to be with their people and the power they can bring if they need to protect their people
It all depends on the environment, and your schedule and personality what dog you should get.

The Dogo Argentina is not a Guard dog, though its very scary looking. A good guard dog will stick around and take care of your property.

The Dogo was bread to hunt big game. So unless you spend a lot of time training it, and giving it exercise, don't be surprised if it jumps your fence and attacks something down the road.
I knew that the main job for the dogo was a catch dog for hogs pumas but I know a boy who came from the same area as the people that breed the first ones and said they were also might to protect the family and home of their owner and that a lot of people in the bigger cities down there keep them strictly as protection dogs

Which it would be crazy to let a big fighting dog to run loss that why I am planning on keeping it with us on a leash and the only way it would be let loss would be if I was going for my gun any way and the dog was faster and gives a little more time to get my gun out
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnyboy88 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 AM

I have an ASD/kangal and I thought I got a bum dog lol... but on two occasions, she's shown that her little couch laying, soft lifestyle, princess butt WILL protect her momma... These are dogs that are highly intelligent, very strong, VERY big, and very protective, but MOST of the time will just lay there to the point where you think something is wrong with them. After years of rottweilers, this is my first notweiler and I love her. BTW I've done rescue for years and I will tell you that a rescue dog, if well chosen, is THE most loyal and appreciative of creatures. They know where they came from, they know you rescued them and they are fiercely loyal and grateful to you. I've had rescue dogs go to the ends of the earth b/c I asked them to. My two dogs now I've had since pups and they are soft, loving, cuddly and somewhat protective. But they have NO idea what the real world is like and mostly complain if I take their blankies or stuffies away from them. I'd vote rescue. If you can, foster. This is great b/c you get to "try out" dogs until you find the one you like the most AND you're providing a service to the poor homeless mutts... you can foster for a breed specific rescue. The first one is hard, but after that, you won't become so attached until you find that one special one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rottzilla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
I like having more than one dog. They enjoy each other. They are harder to take out if you have 4. Nothing over 100 lbs because giant dogs hardly every live over 10 years. It really depends on your personality, lifestyle, climate, and needs, which breeds you choose. I now own a Border Collie, Doberman, German shepherd, and little rat terrier chihuahua mix.
Rarely is very true... but there are breeds that do. Mine is 140 lbs, 8 years old and still healthy as a pup. I got a special lineage straight from Turkey, so no messing around with the genetics like we do over here.
The Following User Says Thank You to rottzilla For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,770 Times in 7,918 Posts

Quote:
...which it would be crazy to let a big fighting dog to run loss that why I am planning on keeping it with us on a leash and the only way it would be let loss would be if I was going for my gun any way and the dog was faster and gives a little more time to get my gun out
Good tactics, but liable to be a bit tough on the dog....
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,094 Times in 3,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Good tactics, but liable to be a bit tough on the dog....
Good point You can get a Guard Dog who Guards your property in a much more professional manner than a Hog Hunting dog.

Guard dogs just tend to want to stay around. Hunting dogs need to run and hunt.

I had a Jack Russel who was the most courageous dog I ever owned. But I could not keep him in the back yard. He ended up being some one else's dog when I just had to give up.

I have had German Shepherds, a Doberman, English Mastiffs, but I never had a Rottweiler. Any of these dogs would be a better choice than a hunting dog.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,770 Times in 7,918 Posts

The advice about rescue dogs, pretty much across the board and regardless of breed, tends to echo my experience of the canine critter. Took in a couple of refugee kids in years past, and that also turned out very well for similar reasons. The individual is a sight more a result of experience than of breeding.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
So just wanted to ask and see what you guys think which do you prefer watch dog to let know when someone is coming or a guard dog big enough and strong enough to go after and bring down an intruder and which breeds do you like for each
Did not read all the post, but my family has always had Akitas. They are a Japanese bear hunting dog, they are beautiful, extremely loyal and will protect their family with their life. I myself have 2 of them, my father has 1 and we could not be happier with them.

Only thing is when I take them anywhere I have to make sure I have plenty of time as everybody stops me and wants to pet and talk about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arctodus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 PM

I have heard of those before but have never seen one since they were bear dogs do they tend to have a lot of drive and need a lot to do
Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,033 Times in 3,115 Posts

Quote:
So just wanted to ask and see what you guys think which do you prefer watch dog to let know when someone is coming or a guard dog big enough and strong enough to go after and bring down an intruder and which breeds do you like for each
I have one dog, he is both a watch dog and a guard dog. His name is Ares, he is a 60lb 5 month old, Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff).

He's great! And great around our kids!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,735 Times in 944 Posts

I like my Cane Corso for the Job
The Following User Says Thank You to lildrestl3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 AM

Cane Caso how do they do around the house are they the kind that have a look of enagea
Old 02-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Prepared

Watchdog that alerts quietly so people (intruders) are unaware, a dog that barks ruins the element of surprise

Got a couple of baked beans (Heinz 57 varieties/mongrels )

Honestly can't remember my last pure breed, got all mine as rescues, although a few might have been.

In the past had friends/family who said older dogs can't be trained, I always replied "Give me a month"

The key to this has been to make my head rule my heart, a smart dog can quickly show their abilities, even in a kennel environment, and if they can cope with kennel environment stress they can cope with anything I can throw at them.
The Following User Says Thank You to survivedall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Would be interesting to know how you mean doing it quitele I would think a dog that did not bark would be worthless as a watch dog but I will be the first one to say there is ways I never heard of
Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Prepared

Think of it this way. If you have a dog when out hunting do you want one that barks and scares everything away or one that alerts quietly.

Some dogs alert by their posture, some will paw at you, some quietly whine or give a brief snort

In my mid teens one of my outdoors instructors was a former military dog handler, before moving to his job at that time as a police dog handler with a search & rescue dog

He taught me that as well as training your dog(s) you need to learn your dog(s)
So you need to learn each dogs behaviour as to how they react to a given situation. Take someone approaching your front door as an example
Do they go forward to investigate a potential threat and make their presence known? eg go right up to the front door
Do they go forward to investigate a potential threat but remain partly hidden? eg go toward the door but stop inside the door frame of a room closer to the front door and look out
Do they hold back and allow the potential threat to come to them?
Does their reaction alter by individual circumstances where they won't approach the door alone but will approach if backed up by other dogs or people in the home?
If someone inside goes to the door are they in front of you (letting the visitor know they're there) or behind you (hidden from the visitor but ready to pounce at the first sign of a threat)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivedall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 06:09 PM
King of Canada

Quote:
Cane Caso how do they do around the house are they the kind that have a look of enagea
Mine does great, he has lots of energy. But we train outside and inside.

The only time he barks, is when people are outside and he can see 'em/hear 'em.

He doesn't bark if no one is around, but us.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM
King of Canada

But know this about corso's; if you don't train 'em and you aren't active along with 'em, you're gonna have a terror on your hands.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:22 PM

What kind of training do you do with him is it basic stuff like set stay come be quiet or do you do attach work with him because I have heard that a lot of the really big ones it is a bad idea to do baite work with them but to trust their instcit
Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 PM
King of Canada

Quote:
What kind of training do you do with him is it basic stuff like set stay come be quiet or do you do attach work with him because I have heard that a lot of the really big ones it is a bad idea to do baite work with them but to trust their instcit
Basic stuff and more advanced stuff. I started training him, the moment I arrived home with him. He picked up on things incredibly fast.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Prepared

my Dachshund Wolfgang would hear stuff 5 seconds before my german shepard.just saying.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Sci-Fi Redneck

Rescues have been most of my dogs. My eldest at the moment is a lab/dalmation/something/something/and probably something else. She is about 4 years and was found chained and abandoned in the woods by the DNR. We brought her home to be companionship for my granddad who is homebound.

She settled on one of our couches, closest to gramp so he can scratch her ears, and only moves to eat and go outside.. So we called her Tater She won't move, but she does start to growl when a car pulls in our long drive long before we can hear the car. She'll give one bark and continue to growl when they knock on the door. She's our watchdog.

Our other is a year and a half old Aussie Shepherd named Rowdy We got as a pup. He's MY buddy and very protective of me mostly, and the rest of the family to a lesser extent. He's the one we have to put in another room when company comes. He's fine with the immediate family but anyone else he will sit and snarl at if it is only one visitor. More than one he doesn't know what to do and starts getting agressive. He's still young and I'm trying to train him out of it a little.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harriman For This Useful Post: