Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 17 02-14-2018 04:40 AM
Not the typical dog thread kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 01-22-2017 04:36 PM

Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 PM
IDon'tBelieveInGiraffes.

Advertise Here

The ones I've had have always been either extremely playful and best friends with everyone or extremely protective. The first pit bull we rescued was actually strange though, he was so terrified of everything he would try to hide every time the washing machine started, he heard a car door, someone knocked on the door, or anything for the first year we had him. After he got settled down and wasn't scared of being harmed anymore, he turned into the best dog I have ever had.

He would walk the house at night and make sure everyone inside was fine and he would stand between me and anybody who was new or seemed threatening. There were a few times he made some people back off, and I think I was around 14 when I was at home alone and a cable guy drove down our driveway. By the time he had parked the car, the dog was standing in front of the door snarling and growling like he was going to eat the guy alive until I told him it was ok.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2016, 08:39 PM

Good to know seams like I have heard that a lot of rescue dogs are really protective of the ones that they see as their people have you ever had one that would take up with one person and no body could handle it or was most the kind that were family dogs
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnyboy88 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 PM
IDon'tBelieveInGiraffes.

They've all been family dogs. The one I was just telling you about took up with me more than anyone else but still followed commands from the rest of the family just as good as he did me, I was just his best friend I guess lol he always would play with me but only played with anyone else when he got excited.

They've always been good with all of the kids and everything, but none of us ever were the little brats that kick and hit and poke eyes and pull tails just to be mean. I'm sure if someone did that then they wouldn't be as good of a dog because they wouldn't have as much trust. The main thing is trust, if the dog can trust you then he will protect you
The Following User Says Thank You to David Bevis For This Useful Post:

Old 12-18-2016, 09:33 PM

Well I guess maybe we should look into a rescue dog
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnyboy88 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,509 Times in 7,818 Posts

Don't do it, them St. Bernards are expensive to feed....
Old 12-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,303 Times in 810 Posts

I have two rescues, a golden retriever and an Akita Inu. The golden is a 90 pound speed bump; the Akita just made 118 pounds and is a great watchdog. She's good with kids, trusts no strangers, and rules all she sees like a queen. Big dogs make big scary barks and growls which is handy when a goblins on the other side of the door.

I've heard rescues understand the fate they dodged and they both seem too. Life's better with them for sure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 05:25 AM

Akita don't believe I know that kind.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,016 Times in 3,518 Posts

I have a few of these and they work just fine. I don't have to pole vault over dog poo in the yard and they are very good at their jobs. Mexican Advanced Warning Devices.

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for Bayonets and Surplus gun parts. Come on, I know you guys have some stuff stashed
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Airedale.s are the king of the terriers. They are fierce dogs and too much for many owners. A friend of mine grew up on a ranch on the AZ/Mex border. They got the retired lion hunting dogs from the neighboring ranch. He has a thousand stories.

A friend of mine had a dog that was half Airedale. One day a nice looking bitch walked past the picture window in the living room. The dog leapt thru the window, mated with the bitch and jumped back in the living room like nothing happened.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:42 PM

We have a Walker hound as well as a beagle/rat terrier mix and they are good watchdogs. The Walker is also a very capable hunting dog.
We really don't feel the need for guard dogs. My wife and I routinely CCW and we both take Krav Maga and BJJ and have for a while now, so the odds of me being in a situation where I'd rather have a pit bull vice my hound are slim.
My brother has a couple Cane Corsos that are great watchdogs and could be great guard dogs with the proper training. The problem is that they are VERY expensive dogs to own and train. They're both intimidating to see and one of them is pure muscle, 120 lbs and you can still see her ribs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Not PC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 03:30 PM

Wow that is a dog I would not want to walk in on
Old 12-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,327 Posts

Teamwork, he lets me know, and I'll handle it from there. Watchdog.

My LH Chihuahua male thinks he's a Rotti. Invading leaves don't get past his watch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,705 Times in 44,505 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

A watch dog. Dogs are too valuable to risk. And they're notoriously easy to take out. I've always thought a smallish breed, well trained, would be ideal. Smaller breeds live longer, eat less food, and are smaller targets if someone did try to take them out. They can smell and hear things that we can't. Their job would be to alert us to danger so that we can handle it and get themselves out of harms way. There's no way I'd want to risk that valuable of an alarm system.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,120 Posts

I like having more than one dog. They enjoy each other. They are harder to take out if you have 4. Nothing over 100 lbs because giant dogs hardly every live over 10 years. It really depends on your personality, lifestyle, climate, and needs, which breeds you choose. I now own a Border Collie, Doberman, German shepherd, and little rat terrier chihuahua mix.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post
I have a few of these and they work just fine. I don't have to pole vault over dog poo in the yard and they are very good at their jobs. Mexican Advanced Warning Devices.

Al
I have a long haired cousin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	177489  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 PM

I prefer watch dogs. We have a little dog that and a basset (deeper more intimidating bark) that will alarm us and a collie mutt that will also bark but will also head for and circle the issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Let the Debate begin

If you think you are a target of real Burglars, and Robbers, than its true that a single Guard dog is easy to take out. Me? I have neighbors who don't have dogs. They are nice, soft, Libtard, Targets who wonder why they get broken into.

I used to have English Mastiffs, but they die young. My German Shepherd is a very effective Guard dog, but she keeps trying to kill my Doberman.

A Guard Dog can be a very effective Watch dog, but my Chihuahua/terrier mix won't scare anyone from going into my back yard. My problem over the years has been Teens, and Druggies. Neither want to tackle a Guard dog. The Professional Burglars also don't want the hassle, so they just go after softer Targets.

Watch dogs tend to be better companions indoors. Guard dogs are better to take for a walk. If a Pit bull attacks my wife with the little dog alone, she is in trouble. But if my wife has the Shepherd, they have a fighting chance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2016, 04:45 PM

True the hardcor burglars can get past dogs but a lot of them just don't want to take the time and move on pretty much our problems are people on drugs on people letting their teens run wild in both cases a big looking fighting dog can make them back off also handle business if it comes to that I am looking at mostly the bigger buller breeds the main two being the American bull dog and the dogo but I also like the American ban dog if anyone has any experience with them I like them because they seem not to be the most high energy dogs always want to be with their people and the power they can bring if they need to protect their people
Old 12-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Let the Debate begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy88 View Post
True the hardcor burglars can get past dogs but a lot of them just don't want to take the time and move on pretty much our problems are people on drugs on people letting their teens run wild in both cases a big looking fighting dog can make them back off also handle business if it comes to that I am looking at mostly the bigger buller breeds the main two being the American bull dog and the dogo but I also like the American ban dog if anyone has any experience with them I like them because they seem not to be the most high energy dogs always want to be with their people and the power they can bring if they need to protect their people
It all depends on the environment, and your schedule and personality what dog you should get.

The Dogo Argentina is not a Guard dog, though its very scary looking. A good guard dog will stick around and take care of your property.

The Dogo was bred to hunt big game. So unless you spend a lot of time training it, and giving it exercise, don't be surprised if it jumps your fence and attacks something down the road.

Last edited by Truck Vet; 12-25-2016 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Target Shooter

Default Watch Dog

All I want the dog to do is bark!

I don't want anything with an IQ of 30 making expensive legal decisions on my behalf.

If anyone needs to be bitten, I will bite them myself !
The Following User Says Thank You to BillM For This Useful Post: