Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving to Illinois Brettboat Firearms General Discussion 51 03-06-2018 10:22 AM
Moving to a small town Peter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 11-16-2016 03:30 PM
Goodyear, AZ, gunstores Hunter Don Arizona 0 11-12-2016 05:11 PM
Watch: A Moving Video About Our Current Political Climate AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-12-2016 02:00 PM
Possibly moving to Jacksonville Sheepdog556 General Discussion 20 10-11-2016 02:06 AM

Old 11-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Moving to Az.

Advertise Here

I'm in the Marines and moving to Yuma. I'm originally from the east coast and have learned to preps as such. Well now me and my Wife are moving and I was curious to see what was kind of the big things to consider when prepping in AZ. I obviously have realized water is a huge aspect but other than that...thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Gauge0317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Most Thankful Guy here

Thanked 47,689 Times in 18,820 Posts

Hmmmm, outside of water not much. Normal preps, with a possibility of looking into solar.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Yes besides extra, extra water, things for more portable shade if you had to be out in the sun. (Daughter and family live in S. AZ.)

Good luck with the move,never an easy thing to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfsara For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,406 Times in 1,907 Posts

an English to Spanish dictionary. A good swamp cooler for the house. Summer clothes it get hot in the summer. It can also get real cold in the winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Awesome I really appreciate it. I didn't think there was too much of a big difference. However it's the small things that are hard to plan for.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:06 PM

I lived in Yuma most of my life. (loved it) I used to wonder what I would do if I had to bug out. There is a whole lot of desert around Yuma with nothing in it-- Goldwater AF range, Yuma Proving Ground, Cali dunes, etc. I finally decided that the best bet was to head North along highway 95, and map out the water holes and tanks in the YPG/Kofa preserve. My ultimate goal was the forest around the Prescott area.

Crim Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to Crim Tim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 11:09 PM

Sounds like a good game plan. In regards to a bug out plan I'm having to start from scratch so I'll definitely start looking along those lines. My previous bug out plan took me to Ga. Obviously that's not feasible anymore so back to the drawing board.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,264 Times in 662 Posts

We lived near Yuma from 1997 thru early this year. It took a while but we got accustomed to the heat, such that a summer in Tucson felt a little “cool”. There’s a lot more in Yuma now than back in 97. The lack of rain was one significant factor in determining Yuma was not a retirement location for us.

I recall seeing some hints of prepper group meetings, but cannot come up with any details.
The Following User Says Thank You to unno2002 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 11:34 PM

I'm looking for a group in or around yuma now which is going to be a new task just because my original group was with close family, I'm looking forward to it though.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,907 Times in 787 Posts

Don't forget....You are next to the Colorado River. It might not be as impressive by the time it gets to Yuma, but it's definitely an advantage water-wise over most of the state.
The Following User Says Thank You to arizonafusilier For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Prepared

Long sleeve cotton shirts for all (synthetic fabrics seem to heat up in the sunlight worse than cotton) I dont care how much it breathes. Light colors. Big hats, also light color.

If you are bringing a dark colored car, make sure the a/c is in real good shape. speaking of your car, make sure the cooling system is in good shape too and change your transmission fluid, synthetic helps if you can afford it. Tinted windows ain't just for style out here. Tires will make it about 3 years no matter how many miles you drive before the sidewalls crack and separations are more frequent (in cheaper tires at least) because of higher road temps. A garage does help with this though.

In addition to water, hydration/ electrolyte supplements. They pack small and make your drinking water more effective. If you can, Make sure you hydrate the day before you need to work or move outside. Like a lot of things, hydration is best when its prepared ahead of time. Its hell if you start out dry and try to catch up while exerting.

Many times, the wind will screw your plans for light, quick, and easy shade devices. Buy quality and anchor it if the wind is blowing or not.

A general rule with anything in southern AZ. The more you can keep the sun off of it, the longer it will last. This goes for people, cars, pets, structures, lawn/patio furniture etc. If you plan to last more than half a day on foot with say, a day pack sized load, shade up and cool down often. Better yet, move at night and sleep during the day.

On the bright side (pun intended), land nav is a piece of cake... you can see for miles and miles from a small hill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,378 Posts

Lots of heavy duty sunscreen, >SPF-30. You can burn in the desert in 12 minutes in the summer. Years from now, you'll be glad you used it - you won't have to go to a Dermatologist every 6 months to get Keratoses (pre-cancerous lesions) frozen off or skin cancers removed - with a scalpel.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,878 Times in 2,645 Posts

The air is very dry as well. Those used to the humidity of the east suffer a lot getting used to it. Your skin drys out along with your sinuses. Learn to drink A LOT and get a good hydrating lotion. Remember your pets and keep their water dishes full and give them lots of shade.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Yuma is right near the border. You have to deal with US Border Patrol and road blocks and "people coming through" on a good day. I have been followed for two days by an unmarked military drone on the Colorado River. There is a certain tension that you have to get used to. In the summer the heat is a problem even for people that are used to it.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 513 Posts

Everyone else has given good advice.

Also, be aware that localized FLOODING can be an issue anywhere in Arizona. Chose your home and preps accordingly. Every few years a hurricane comes up the Gulf of California and while the winds are not a big issue this far inland, it can rain several inches, and that's a big deal in the desert. Lesser monsoon rains and winter rains are normal, and can dump a few inches on you.

Yuma gets what, four inches of rain a year? You might get three of those inches in one day.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the interview someone on the news and the poor flood victim goes, "I didn't know it could flood here!" and you look at their flooded-out house and they'd built in an obvious flood zone beside a wash or river.

Having preps very easily accessible for power outages in summer isn't a bad idea. Thunderstorms knock power out pretty routinely. I didn't even consider having a box of flashlights and a camp stove and a battery operated radio prepping when I lived in the desert, it was just common sense.

Arizona has a stupid motorist law, too. If you drive around barricades and get stuck in floodwater, and survive, you pay for your rescue. This isn't cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ljcygnet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 AM

In general, AZ is a wonderful state with a very diverse climate and temperature range. It can be 120 degrees during a Yuma summer, but 30 to 35 degrees cooler (or more) in Arizona's high mountain areas. As an example, it was snowing in Flagstaff, AZ just last week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ Radio Prepper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,286 Posts

Semper Fi OP. Former GySgt here (77-95) that bought a place in NE AZ in May, though still working on getting fully moved.

How are you adjusting to Yuma? We have lived in 29 Palms for over 30 years and deal with similar conditions. What do you think of Snowbird Season where the population of Yuma about triples?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:35 PM

I SUPER appreciate all the responses I've received and all the super helpful information...currently we are working on a hydroponic set up. I got a bug out plan established still need to drive the routes, I'm new to gardening and figure if I can grow something here I can grow anywhere hahaha, planted a cocktail tree that has lime, oranges, and lemons. We bought a German shepherd.and currently looking for some serious serious water storage. Thanks again to everyone...."stay humble"

Old 08-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Hahaha yes the population in Yuma is definitely seasonal haha

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge0317 View Post
I SUPER appreciate all the responses I've received and all the super helpful information...currently we are working on a hydroponic set up. I got a bug out plan established still need to drive the routes, I'm new to gardening and figure if I can grow something here I can grow anywhere hahaha, planted a cocktail tree that has lime, oranges, and lemons. We bought a German shepherd.and currently looking for some serious serious water storage. Thanks again to everyone...."stay humble"

Glad to hear things are going well. Will Yuma be your final duty station or do you still have time to go before retiring?

While Shepard's are good dogs, given the heat in Yuma and AZ in general I would have opted for a short haired dog (for it's own comfort) myself. All the dogs we have had here in 29 were short haired and seemed to handle the heat better then the longer haired breeds my friends had.

Where did you locate yourself in Yuma? Got a bit of property outside town or what?