What happens if your caught with the wrong pepper spray in NYC or Jersey? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superior self defence - high pressure pepper spray Lunes Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 34 10-12-2016 03:21 PM

Old 11-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 2,020 Times in 631 Posts
Default What happens if your caught with the wrong pepper spray in NYC or Jersey?

Advertise Here

I understand the only legal pepper spray for NYC and Jersey is a miniature, watered down NY legal variety of spray. I don't have any of that type of spray. I use 2 oz and 4 oz magnum sprays that are high potency and can put out a fire. (almost)

If your a tourist and caught in NYC or Jersey with a 2 oz pepper spray what are the consequences? Ticket...confiscation...jail?

I was in NYC less than a week and that was part-time as I stayed in Jersey City. I was surprised to find that NYC and Jersey City seemed very safe. Although I did have a few incidents that could have been iffy. I don't care a bit if my pepper spray is confiscated, I have dozens of cans. But I don't want a big ticket or jail.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Prepared

I dont know about nj laws
Ny state pepper spray is legal like most other states
Nyc has a reg that bans pepper spray purchased outside of nyc
Pepper spray itself is the same not a watered down version but must be purchased from authorized nyc vendor
Old 11-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,398 Times in 12,818 Posts

I don't know about NYC or NJ but I do know about NM. A guy got into a road-rage incident that ended up in a rest stop. One dude sprayed the other at point blank range with bear spray. He was arrested, found guilty, did jail time and paid fines. This was before the person he sprayed sued him in civil court.
If your can is marked "not safe for humans" and you use it on one, charges range from assault or malicious maiming all the way to attempted murder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,142 Times in 2,871 Posts

Just don't set if off by accident, as one NYC doctor who shall remain nameless once did--smack in the middle of a pediatric clinic filled with children with cardiac disease.

Yah, that went over real well.

(Hmmm, that might have been with they came up with the law against cheap crap of unknown provenance.)
Old 11-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,186 Times in 830 Posts

Tell them it's a condiment that you use to spice up bland food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,286 Times in 591 Posts

Depends. Are you visiting or just passing through? If you're visiting they'll probably confiscate and won't worry about charging you. --They have bigger problems to worry about to take a cop off the streets for a couple hours for arrest and booking.

If you're just passing through, probably nothing, but the cop might confiscate.

That being said, if you're being a enough of a douche to attract a cop's attention in NYC, you might get arrested. --You gotta work HARD to get stopped by the cops in NYC.

A couple of ancedotal examples.

I was driving around the financial district in Manhattan, and there is a wierd intersection towards the end of Wall St. I goofed and turned up a one way St, with a cop sitting at the opposite corner, and all he did was honk his horn at me.

In the early 80's a freind went to see some bands play someplace in Alphabet City, and after the show, (@2AM) was riding the subway with freinds back to their place. There was a subway cop sitting a few seats down from them, when one of them pulled out a bag of pot, pulled some out and proceeded to roll a joint while the cop watched. When he went to light it up, the cop warned him not to push his luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tovarich_Volk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,344 Times in 691 Posts

Same problem in calif they have state approved people pepper spray and bear spray sometimes sold on the same shelf at gun stores.

I buy both and keep them together if i am forced to use the bear spray i then hide the can and show the cops the people pepper spray.

On my own property the bear spray is my go to chemical agent.
The Following User Says Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 5,885 Times in 1,596 Posts

Are there any bears in NY?
The Following User Says Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 06:06 PM
-

Thanked 1,331 Times in 680 Posts

NJ:

"i.Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00."

Source:
http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jers.../2c-39/2c-39-6
The Following User Says Thank You to ilgar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I was in NYC less than a week and that was part-time as I stayed in Jersey City. I was surprised to find that NYC and Jersey City seemed very safe. Although I did have a few incidents that could have been iffy. I don't care a bit if my pepper spray is confiscated, I have dozens of cans. But I don't want a big ticket or jail.
NYC is very safe.
I am always out all hours and never had an issue. There are some places I don't go, like the North West corner of Washington Square Park because that is where the drug dealers are, they don't bother you but just hate seeing them there. Go where the real natives and long time transplants go, stay out of parks at night.

Oh, I carry pepper spray, better safe than sorry.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 120,742 Times in 23,924 Posts

I carry a lead-based spray, but it always fails to aerosolize. Instead, it remains contained in a copper shell and, at best, merely deforms a little on impact.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,063 Times in 4,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
Tell them it's a condiment that you use to spice up bland food.
Beat me to it.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie505 View Post
NYC is very safe.
Go where the real natives and long time transplants go, stay out of parks at night.
I worked with a nurse who at one time worked on the upper East Side and lived on the upper West Side. The only subway route between involves taking 3 trains and going downtown, crosstown, and then back uptown. Time-consumping PITA, especially late at night. Crosstown buses up there pretty much disappear after 1 to 2 a.m. When she got stuck having to come home in the wee-smalls, her rather unique solution was to find a Central Park area police patrol car, bang on the window, and offer the cops in it a choice between possibly finding her body later and having to stay past shift filling out all that damn paperwork, or just giving her a lift across the Park.

She always got a lift. She also ended up dating several cops.
One of my favorite only-in-NYC stories.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 02:39 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,192 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
Same problem in calif they have state approved people pepper spray and bear spray sometimes sold on the same shelf at gun stores.

I buy both and keep them together if i am forced to use the bear spray i then hide the can and show the cops the people pepper spray.

On my own property the bear spray is my go to chemical agent.
When I lived in the PRK, where your teenage daughter has no legal means of protecting herself, save a good combatives course, I made "black eggs" for both my daughters to carry. At that time, those were a legal "gray" area. After we moved to Texas, I kept them in the car, as they are effective, and completely legal here.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
I worked with a nurse who at one time worked on the upper East Side and lived on the upper West Side. The only subway route between involves taking 3 trains and going downtown, crosstown, and then back uptown. Time-consumping PITA, especially late at night. Crosstown buses up there pretty much disappear after 1 to 2 a.m. When she got stuck having to come home in the wee-smalls, her rather unique solution was to find a Central Park area police patrol car, bang on the window, and offer the cops in it a choice between possibly finding her body later and having to stay past shift filling out all that damn paperwork, or just giving her a lift across the Park.

She always got a lift. She also ended up dating several cops.
One of my favorite only-in-NYC stories.
This only works if you're an attractive, young, single female.
The Following User Says Thank You to KravMagoo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Hunter

It's probably up to the Cop(s), but if you use illegal types of sprays, then you could get prosecuted and then will almost certainly get sued in civil courts. Imagine how many ambulance chasing lawyers there are in NYC and Jersey City.
The Following User Says Thank You to KravMagoo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KravMagoo View Post
This only works if you're an attractive, young, single female.
Possibly. Although paperwork is always a bitch.

But then survival strategies always involve making the best use of what you have. Bugging out with a 100-pound backpack generally only works if you're a healthy young male. Etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM
This is a great survival forum

Pepper spray is legal in all 50 states, but let's say you are looking for an alternative. Maybe for a someone who is under age, and can't legally carry it.

An under-the-radar alternative is to take a ubiquitous Poland Spring with the"Sport cap" (or any other water bottle with that type of cap) and fill it with lemon juice. Use straight lemon juice - undiluted.

The squeezable plastic (usually LDPE), coupled with the sport nozzle with shoot the lemon juice a really good distance. Aim for the eyes, of course.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
Possibly. Although paperwork is always a bitch.
Dude, I know that that's a fun story that you have about that nurse....but let's look at the probability of her being found in a ditch, raped, attacked and killed one night b/c a cop didn't give her a ride home. Ok, it could happen.....but how many cops are there in that area and what would be the chance of that 1 cop that didn't feel like giving her a ride home that night, being the 1 to discover her body and then having to do paperwork.

And I'm not even assuming that she's hot or even young and fit.....just female, relatively attractive, with some makeup on, and not too fat nor old would do the trick for most horny dudes/cops, late at night.

Quote:
But then survival strategies always involve making the best use of what you have. Bugging out with a 100-pound backpack generally only works if you're a healthy young male. Etc.
No doubt, after all, it is "the oldest profession" and will never go out of style, even after the apocalypse.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-Trainer View Post
An under-the-radar alternative is to take a ubiquitous Poland Spring with the"Sport cap" (or any other water bottle with that type of cap) and fill it with lemon juice. Use straight lemon juice - undiluted.

The squeezable plastic (usually LDPE), coupled with the sport nozzle with shoot the lemon juice a really good distance. Aim for the eyes, of course.
That's an excellent idea. But maybe dilute it a little (and say that you're drinking it) in case you'd had to use it and they try to sue you for premeditated intent of an improvised weapon.

But if you're not worried about this, then why not get some super hot pepper sauce and dilute it in some water into the same water bottle concept?