Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storing Tap Water aschmidy2003 Food and water 54 04-05-2019 03:49 AM
storing tap water? AZSrvr Urban Survival 42 09-16-2015 09:01 AM
Storing Well Water Allyson Food and water 14 03-28-2015 09:54 AM
Storing water in 2 liter bottles. How often do you change the water? (if at all) Squiddy70 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 05-11-2013 06:03 PM
Aqua-tainer: Storing distilled water vs. tap-water IrishCannon Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 05-10-2013 08:49 PM
Storing water or water purification? NJcaro Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 09-27-2012 10:25 AM
Storing Water - How Much? Mr. Griff Food and water 1 09-07-2012 11:13 PM
Storing water? Water drums? Bleach? FloridaState Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 09-21-2010 10:46 AM
Storing tap water chrisday4064 Urban Survival 27 01-03-2009 10:17 AM
Storing Water whiteskunk Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 04-25-2008 08:17 AM

Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 513 Posts

Advertise Here

I used to live in Hidden Valley (south of the City of Maricopa) and I kept a couple 55 gallon food grade drums of water on hand out there. Maricopa's been cut off by flooding before -- it washed out all the roads, including Maricopa Road/Hwy347 -- and where all the new houses are now was under a few feet of water.

Ironically, water shortage would be my biggest concern in another flooding event, so I kept water on hand. Flooding = no power = wells stop working.

55 gallon drums worked well, are highly unlikely to leak, and they were an economical solution that worked fairly well.

If I lived in the valley proper, I wouldn't be too worried about water. Unless something happens that contaminates surface water, one in four houses in the valley have pools. The SRP canals are also gravity fed.

I'd keep enough on hand for short term emergencies (water main breaks) and figure that in a major crisis -- grid disruption, severe wide spread storm damage, terrorist action, etc. -- I'd be drinking pool water and/or catching rainwater.

Phoenix, by the way, is not likely to run out of water in the long term. It has a very solid long term water supply, from multiple sources, and even in the current drought, it still has enough of an excess of water that it is pumping water into the aquifers to store for future use.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ljcygnet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Soaking the ground helps...
The Following User Says Thank You to pasoldy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,434 Times in 2,692 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have a multi-layered water storage plan. I have a dozen 50-gallon and 3 28-gallon water barrels (they are "repurposed" barrels that used to have olives or peppers in them also fitted with spigots) in the back yard under the eaves. I got them at C-A-L ranch for about $35 each). In the house and garage, I also have about 140 half-gallon bottles (re-purposed juice bottles) of water, which I add to every time I empty out a bottle of juice (rinsed out, then run through the dishwasher before re-filling with filtered tap water.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 PM

For those of you who have the 55 gal foodgrade barrels, what prep do you do for the water when you store it? I picked up a few awhile back but have yet to do anything with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to zathras For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,906 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zathras View Post
For those of you who have the 55 gal foodgrade barrels, what prep do you do for the water when you store it? I picked up a few awhile back but have yet to do anything with them.
I threw in about 7 capfuls of bleach.

But I'm so paranoid about this stuff I would l still probably run it through a filter and/or boil it before using it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arizonafusilier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,805 Times in 2,509 Posts

I am going to start saving our empty gal milk jugs. I will store them empty and use if needed to go to sons well for water as we cannot carry heavy amt. Too old. We can easily put 30 in back of car. I am also going to get 2 more barrels to store in basement in addition to the 3 we already have filled. Gotta do what works for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 AM

I have 5 55 gallon barrels in my garage and additional rain collectors around my house and have no issues there. I have to pick up a 275 gallon container this weekend. That should keep me in place long enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to blendedin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,913 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
I am going to start saving our empty gal milk jugs. I will store them empty and use if needed to go to sons well for water as we cannot carry heavy amt. Too old. We can easily put 30 in back of car. I am also going to get 2 more barrels to store in basement in addition to the 3 we already have filled. Gotta do what works for us.
Many people on here have said that the milk jugs deteriorate very quickly, and may not be the best option for water. Be careful and make sure you check them for leaks regularly.

I've been saving the Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail jugs (they are squarish so they stand together easily on a shelf, and have a convenient handle. When they are empty of juice, I leave a wee bit of water, and add a bit of vinegar. When it is time to fill the empties at the local spring, I rinse out the vinegar and water, and re-fill. I've got about 2 dozen, but will keep buying the cranberry/raspberry cocktail until the shelves are full.

The ones that have the white handle are the ones I've been using. https://www.google.ca/search?q=ocean...IVAc6ACh2XNgeH

By the way, there is plenty of extra storage space under your bed, if you still need room for things.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,913 Times in 3,331 Posts

Added to my previous post...I have just read a post wherein the different types of plastic bottles are discussed, and have come to the conclusion that the bottles I have been collecting are NOT the best ones for LTS.

They have #1 inside the recycle triangle, and it seems they will eventually leach into the water. *sigh

Now to find some bottles around here that I CAN use...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
My dad dug a hole for a septic tank in Tucson, this was back in the old days (probably before Rancher), he went down to Ronstadt's Hardware store in downtown Tucson and bought dynamite, and yes that was Linda's daddy's store (probably before Linda). Who today would have thunk that you could buy dynamite at a hardware store?

Rancher
We had an underground irrigation system installed to water plants in our small back yard in Tucson and they brought a jackhammer to dig a trench one foot deep and 4 inches wide.

I planted several cacti and used a caliche bar. dig 1/4 in, fill with water, wait 30 minutes, come back dig another 1/4 inch, repeat all weekend till your hole is big enough (not very big).

When I came East, many people asked what my caliche bar was for, I told them it was for digging shallow water wells.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 10:05 PM

the way i have my plan set up is to have enough water and water purif systeyms on me to get me to my location. if your gonna hole up store it at your location in any or all of the above options . however,if you plan on leaving,rember, water is heavy so take what you need and maby a backup container. ..
The Following User Says Thank You to Endgame667 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwstud2002 View Post
The ground here is Phoenix is rock hard. It is mostly clay and rock. Burying it would take so type of machinery.
Water,time, and shovel... Save the clay
The Following User Says Thank You to Arid-Zonnie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGNasty View Post
You could look into these types of containers, although this would be inside storage - which would take up space:

http://www.preparewise.com/stackable...FQGVfgodKTwA_w

WalMart also sells 3.8 gallon stackables - maybe use them as end tables or something.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvemaskin View Post
I started my hole, then filled it with water from the garden hose. It took a while, but was easy digging. I have two craigslist 275 gallon tanks buried side by side under four feet of dirt. a 12 Volt pump brings the water out for use. I couldn't get a backhoe into the back yard here in Tempe.
In the Kingman area we have to contend with caliche that has very hard granite and river rock embedded in it. I've found the best way is to rock bar a hole, throw in a cup of gypsum then fill it with water and let it set overnight. The water and gypsum will soften up the next several inches. Then repeat the process. How long it will take you to get the hole you want depends on how deep and how wide you need to go--it's taken me upwards of three days to get a hole large enough to plant fruit trees.

Oh, along this line, make sure you get a really good quality rock bar. The soft iron POS from Home Depot will bend if you get too frisky with it. After learning that lesson I bought a good one from my local Tru Value hardware store, then got some heavy duty 1 1/2" pipe and welded a 2 1/2" chisel point onto it. They get very hard use and I haven't bent either of them yet.

I plan on putting in underground storage tanks for water but will rent a backhoe to dig those holes. While I'm at it I'll excavate for a root cellar too.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
Your milk jugs won't last much more than a year, especially if they get used outside in the sun. They get brittle and break very easily.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
We had an underground irrigation system installed to water plants in our small back yard in Tucson and they brought a jackhammer to dig a trench one foot deep and 4 inches wide.

I planted several cacti and used a caliche bar. dig 1/4 in, fill with water, wait 30 minutes, come back dig another 1/4 inch, repeat all weekend till your hole is big enough (not very big).

When I came East, many people asked what my caliche bar was for, I told them it was for digging shallow water wells.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Renting a jackhammer is a great idea. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about that. My dad always said, "Let the tool do the work," but I guess I'm a slow leaner.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I have a multi-layered water storage plan. I have a dozen 50-gallon and 3 28-gallon water barrels (they are "repurposed" barrels that used to have olives or peppers in them also fitted with spigots) in the back yard under the eaves. I got them at C-A-L ranch for about $35 each). In the house and garage, I also have about 140 half-gallon bottles (re-purposed juice bottles) of water, which I add to every time I empty out a bottle of juice (rinsed out, then run through the dishwasher before re-filling with filtered tap water.)
Ice, I don't have nearly as many 50 gallon jugs as you do, but, like you, I have lots of re-purposed juice bottles filled with water. I also have an 800 gallon spa that I'm planning on converting into an aquaponics system one of these days. Until then, I could filter that water through my AquaRain filtration/purification system to make it potable.

If I could ever talk my better half into it, I'd put in a well AND a swimming pool. But my interim plan is to install a pair of 2,500 gallon storage tanks underground--pump the water with a hand pump. Refill via a food grade water hose while I can still get town water.

Another backup plan is to find a neighbor who has a well and wants to join my MAG.