Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krav Maga WTF???? BladeGuru Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 181 05-17-2018 11:32 AM
Krav Maga? comas Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 100 05-17-2018 11:31 AM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 245 07-27-2012 06:29 PM
Gun In Your Face & Krav Maga Lono Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 25 06-15-2012 01:49 AM
Krav Maga Check In nukinfuts29 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 20 02-02-2012 09:16 PM
Krav Maga in denver? MtnBikeMike Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-29-2011 06:01 PM
This is Krav Maga ! sojurn87 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 86 04-09-2011 10:42 PM
Eskrima OWNS Krav Maga... go player Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 16 02-24-2010 10:32 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-24-2009 01:04 AM
Krav Maga Gun Disarm WORKED Semper Paratus Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 45 05-30-2009 12:21 PM

Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

Advertise Here

You will need a trainer and a sparring partner. There is absolutely no way IMHO that you can learn to fight without actually fighting. The moves you learn really don't matter (e.g krav, bjj, whatever) as much as the mindset. practice, judgement, discipline, muscle memory, instincts, vision and ability to work at an enhanced speed.

also, the best schools I have studied in will teach you maybe a score of moves but you'll practice them many thousands of times each week. The most useless schools I have studied in will try to teach you thousands of moves and maybe you'll practice many of them a score of times each week.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Death's Collection Agent

Thanked 8,667 Times in 3,118 Posts

Learning a martial art from a video is like learning brain surgery from a comic book. IMO-Karate is more like toe-dancing, aka ballet. Its pretty to watch, but will not be of much help in a life or death situation.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,635 Posts

I have met some rock solid karate guys, but they are few and far between. Finding a 'proper' karate school isn't easy and it takes real commitment to make it work.

You wouldn't want to be hit by these karate fists.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaWhiskyBravo For This Useful Post:

Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
Learning a martial art from a video is like learning brain surgery from a comic book. IMO-Karate is more like toe-dancing, aka ballet. Its pretty to watch, but will not be of much help in a life or death situation.
Not being able to learn fighting techniques from training DVD's is a bit of an old fashioned way of thinking.
More and more people are buying hand to hand combat training DVD's than ever before...and I envision that in years ahead, with ongoing technology, you will be able to learn at home with the computer/DVD telling you what you're doing right or wrong...or having group training sessions via an instructor over webcam and students actually being in different parts of the world.
I think holographic imagery in your home is less than a decade away.

Anyway...

An entire Martial Art system such a Tae Kwon Do or Shotokan karate etc...I agree it would be nigh on impossible to learn from a training DVD.

Self-defence and various fighting techniques...I disagree.
A decent training video, some basic equipment and a partner to train with can produce very good results.

Life and death situations aren't that common.
Bullying, aggressive drunken behaviour, mugging and rape is much more common than it should be.

Learning and perfecting (for example) anti-rape defence from a training DVD is much better than not learning it at all.
Add a training partner or two, some basic training equipment into the mix, and it becomes a viable learning method.
Provided the practitioners adhere carefully to the training techniques and are able to analyse their own performance.

For example....when I worked as a bodyguard we were instructed in a number of different techniques...from come-along wrist and arm locks, to handcuff usage, to PR 24 and ASP baton techniques....all started in a classroom watching (back then) VHS training tapes.

As the week progressed we were assigned training partners and got to practice what we watched, with an instructor following our progress and pointing out what we were doing right or wrong.

We watched a ton of other training tapes as well, covering a myriad of different protection scenarios and circumstances.

It would have taken weeks to learn what we were being taught in days, if not in fact, for certain things, in literally hours.

So...in a nutshell...you can certainly learn basic self-defensive techniques by watching a training DVD.
Plenty of people have.

You don't have to be a master of Black Belt Fu to perform an uppercut or palm heel strike to a jaw followed by ridged knuckles to the throat, followed by a world cup goal winning soccer kick to the cojones.

Anyone can learn how to utilise a knife as self-defence/offence weapon by watching any number of knife fighting DVD's.

Most people aren't going to be out in the world fighting with knives...but that one night when you wife is walking to her car in that deserted car park and that guy springs out and grabs her by the arm...and gets stabbed twice in the arm and once in the face by the three inch bladed knife she had the foresight to be carrying concealed in her dominant hand...and had learnt the basic stabs and cuts with from that training DVD you bought her for Xmas, and watched with her and practiced with her with rubber training knives...that training DVD just saved her from a violent assault or worse.

Cheers: Jaq
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Permaculturist

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk-77 View Post
So my questions are
1- can we learn enough from books and videos to protect our selfs or do we need a trainer for this?
2- if books and videos will work where do you recommend to start?
3- would my boys benefit from train with us also or should I leave that to the karate classes?

I'm sure I will have more but that gets me started
Thank you
I'm taking Krav Maga now, and I can tell you that a big component of it is having a live, flesh and blood partner (or 3 or 4). There are lots of fast drills that require physical contact to learn (such as having 2 people hold pads, another 2 people holding you on the ground, and requiring you to get up and wail on the pads with punches, knees, groin kicks, etc).

Another important part is getting used to taking hits through pads. Matching up males and females, younger folks and older folks. My opinion is that your kids should definitely train with you.

I think you can learn techniques of KM through books and videos but there is no adequate substitution for being in the moment and sweating your arse off.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,054 Times in 661 Posts

I wished someone near Hattiesburg, MS would organize a group. Krav Maga interests me more than anything else, martial arts-wise.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Krav Maga

Hi,

I have been practising Krav Maga for the last 2 and half years and it is definitely something I'd recommend. Evidently first hand practice is the best form of training but if you are not able to get to a class. Then learning techniques from videos, is better than not learning anything at all.

Here are some good video you can watch:

Complete Krav Maga by Darren Levine and John Whitman is a good read. Also I can't recommend enough two books by Rory Miller, Facing Violence and Mediations on Violence.

Any questions or if you want to chat about KM pm me

Last edited by DMR28; 07-18-2018 at 08:10 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Young Adult

I'm not sure how it is over there, but where I live there's a wrestling club that feeds into the high school wrestling team, you could get you're kids into that. I still do wrestling right now since I'm in high school since I was able to join that club. I also have done Brazilian Jui Jitsu which can show some good submissions that can be really lethal. Also Muay Thai.. I think Muay Thai would be the best bet for you. It's really fun and you get a great work out and of course you get the knowledge to protect you're family.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Young Adult

There also might be other wrestling clubs around there for you're kids, but I don't know you're location so I can't say there's one down the road.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM
You should see my closet

Which Krav you take is a factor too. I took Krav Maga Worldwide (I looked this up after I posted, I'm not sure if that's the proper name there are so many disciplines) first and it is very aerobic intensive. It reminded me too much of a chick kickboxing class. Don't get me wrong, it kicked my ass and got me in better shape but it wasn't as practical.

I'm a huge CKM (Combat Krav Maga) guy now. (level 2 and climbing). Moni Azik is kind of the Bruce Lee of Krav. The purists hate him because he doesn't fall into the traditional. It's very no nonsense. Everything is based on two moves because in a panic situation you can't remember more than about two things. It's usually 1) get out of harms way 2) inflict damage That's it. If any of you are in Idaho I can get you in touch with an instructor here. But if you are looking at videos on line search for Moni it's simple and effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_YVnhjnRU

Last edited by JBYRD; 01-26-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: typos and research
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
crabby old bird

Hey Warhawk,
There almost has to be some good martial art schools in a city large as Ft. Wayne. Or at least nearby. Reguardless of what style you consider there are good and bad schools. I've seen for example karate black belts that could not fight thier way from a paper bag. Then again some karate schools are pretty hardcore. Depends on the school. While I love Krav Maga, if there is no available schools maybe something along the lines of Filipino/Indonesian styles would be worth checking out?

While I own numerous books and videos about martial arts, they best serve to supplement not to replace training in a school. Valuable material can be found there, yet a good instructor is a must, so are training partners. Maybe if you are practicing something in a school it would be possible to add Krav Maga material?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM
crabby old bird

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBYRD View Post
Which Krav you take is a factor too. I took Krav Maga Worldwide (I looked this up after I posted, I'm not sure if that's the proper name there are so many disciplines) first and it is very aerobic intensive. It reminded me too much of a chick kickboxing class. Don't get me wrong, it kicked my ass and got me in better shape but it wasn't as practical.

I'm a huge CKM (Combat Krav Maga) guy now. (level 2 and climbing). Moni Azik is kind of the Bruce Lee of Krav. The purists hate him because he doesn't fall into the traditional. It's very no nonsense. Everything is based on two moves because in a panic situation you can't remember more than about two things. It's usually 1) get out of harms way 2) inflict damage That's it. If any of you are in Idaho I can get you in touch with an instructor here. But if you are looking at videos on line search for Moni it's simple and effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_YVnhjnRU
Hmm..Not sure how to put this. Let me just suggest you do some reseach on the internet about combat krav maga and moni azik. The short version is that moni azik did not have the credentials that were advertised. Nor was the material that he teaches Krav Maga. There is currently mulit-million dollar lawsuits against him and ckm for fraud. There was a school in the region that fell in with ckm, yet has since literally ran in the other direction. Don't take my word for it..look it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to old corvus 41 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
Learning a martial art from a video is like learning brain surgery from a comic book
Rich Franklin started out with his buddies in a garage in Harrison, OH training off instructional videos. He seemed to turn out OK.
I'm not saying you will become a UFC champ off of instructional videos alone, but as a supplemental tool, or a beginners entry into martial arts I see absolutely nothing wrong with them.
If you live in an area where no one trains Krav Maga or mma I don't see any other choice but instructional videos. Get a group of guys together and work out what you see on the tape. If you don't have that, do what you can with your wife. If you are by yourself, get a heavy bag. Do the best you can with what you have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYorDIE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Just pointing out that the OP Warhawk has not posted here since the 23 of Oct last year.
Don't know if he's still reading this thread or not.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Corpsman Up

Thanked 6,864 Times in 2,214 Posts

I read it. Good advice posted by all.
The Following User Says Thank You to old doc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Prepared

The problem with Krav maga is the same with ANY martial art. Its finding the good and there by hard to find instructors. Honestly i think that unless the guy learned it in Israel and has the military credentials to back it up, i wouldn't bother.

Its the same story with most other martial arts really. Its so freaking hard to find the best schools. Honestly you should take what ever schools you find on your searches and go post them at www.martialtalk.com and ask the people there if it is a legit school.

Dont be fooled by lots of plaques and awards either. There is a Karate Dojo in my city, with lots of high ranking and One U.S national Karate competition winner who trains and teaches there. They dont even practice for more then 1 hour 3 days aweek. Sorry but that not enough time to let everything you need to learn sink in and get drilled into your muscle memory. Let alone get a good work out in. My work outs some times go 2hours+ a day, and when im done, i feel Freaking awesome.

Edit to add, The third video from the top, the one that is 1hour and 6mins long, i question its legitimacy as a martial arts instructor and instructional dvd. I have only watched the first few mins of it, but im at the striking part. Were he is demonstrating the basic punchs. Western boxing makes up most of what is my striking skills, and this instructor is breaking a rule,and a big one i think, when it comes to punching. When he throws his straights, upon retraction his hands drop down to about mid chest before coming back to guard. Even with a lower guard(like what you see some boxers and most UFC mma guys have) it is considered incorrect to drop your hands on retraction that low. You always come straight back to your guard.(regardless of weather or not it is a higher or lower guard.) Not to pick nits but that shows to me he needs alot more work with a competent instructor on his punching.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM
You should see my closet

interesting stuff. I'll have to read more on the drama, I remember our instructor hinting at a lot of people hating Moni's guts. He passed it off as professional jealousy. Meantime I still like it better than that silly Krav Maga Worldwide crap. I may as well have gotten pink boxing gloves for signing up.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 AM
You should see my closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corvus 41 View Post
Hmm..Not sure how to put this. Let me just suggest you do some reseach on the internet about combat krav maga and moni azik. The short version is that moni azik did not have the credentials that were advertised. Nor was the material that he teaches Krav Maga. There is currently mulit-million dollar lawsuits against him and ckm for fraud. There was a school in the region that fell in with ckm, yet has since literally ran in the other direction. Don't take my word for it..look it up.
So did some research. Did you know all lawsuits have been dropped by the plaintiffs? This is like the Dave Canterbury stuff but for Krav Maga. Oh well, I like it.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 AM
crabby old bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBYRD View Post
So did some research. Did you know all lawsuits have been dropped by the plaintiffs? This is like the Dave Canterbury stuff but for Krav Maga. Oh well, I like it.
Yes, Did read that most if not all the lawsuits were dropped. Which is good news for moni azik and ckm. Yet does it not bother you that azik lied about his creds to start with? And if he does not have the Krav Maga background to begin with, then exactly what is being taught?

Sadly, the martial arts community is full of politics. Both Jeet Kune Do and American Kempo immediatly come to mind. This is not my saying KM does not have some issues between instructors. Yet people like Darren Levine, Mike Kannerek (think spelled his last name wrong), David Katz, Jim Wagner, etc. seem to get along without too much arguing. The common thread between legitimate KM instructors appears to be a disdain for people teaching KM that don't have the background. And I THINK that's why azik and ckm are so badly talked about.

Honestly I can't say from personal experience what ckm is like. Just know that a Lexington based school taught ckm material for a while and now they regret it. We have some students from there who joined Krav Maga Kentucky because our credintials do check out. If you are happy with ckm then maybe that's all that matters. It's nothing personal, I would just have issue knowing the lead instructor wasn't a qualified KM instructor and be really curious what I was being taught.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 AM
crabby old bird

Commando Krav Maga Sucks
Certified Commando Krav Instructor in less time than it takes to earn a white belt and all for only £1300....

Aizik is a fascinating character. A compulsive liar with modest intellect. A Walter Mitty character, Aizik's claims vary from the outlandish to plain foolish. The results vary from funny to catastrophic.

I wrote this article as Moni Aizik and his claims reflect poorly on Krav Maga, and serve to part Monis' victims from their money. Its immoral, dishonest and wrong. Hence this article.

Aizik tried to stop us posting on the net. His lawyers wanted this removed at threat of litigation - this is the story Aizik does not want you to see. We were the first to post the whole grim story .......

Why I wrote this article ?

Aizik does not threaten our business in any way. I have no axe to grind. No unseen agenda. But. Aizik is a major problem to us. Aizik seriously discredits Krav Maga with his claims, and the standard of Instructor created by his 3 day 'Instructor' courses. These 'Instructors' quickly leave his organisation and then claim to be bona Fide Krav Maga Instructors. Their biographies become curiously vague about how they trained - or who with. One in Tring even started training his own "Krav Maga Instructors" based on his extensive 3 day course with Aizik (Irony intended).

Personally I have a real problem with this. These fakes and charaltons who suddenly claim to be Krav Maga Instructors and devalue something I hold very dear.

About Moni Aizik

Aizik describes himself as War Hero, former Special Forces Commando, Former Major in the Israeli Special Forces, Co - Founder of the Krav Maga system. And founder of the current Hand to Hand system used by the Israeli Special Forces. Impressive reading ?

However fact was somewhat less impressive than Aiziks fiction...

I was used to Bull**** in the martial arts, but it became increasingly obvious that Moni was a compulsive liar.
- Stuart Mcgill (former UK CKM Director)

Aizik makes the following claims, (He has taken some down from his site now)

1.He is a former Israeli Commando
2.He regularly teaches the Israeli Special Forces - and is flown over to teach them every month.
3.He founded the hand-to-hand system of the Israeli Special Forces.
4.He co founded Krav Maga with legendary founder Imi Lichtenfeld, spending a year 'improving' Imi's Krav Maga system.
5.He is a Counter Terror Expert
6.He survived an ambush of 1000/2000 Syrian commandos (figure changes) and was one of only 4/7 (figures change) to do so escaping from behind enemy lines after killing all the Syrians.
7.He is a former officer of the special forces (Claims different ranks in different versions)
8.He is the former Chief Instructor of Krav Maga in the IDF
We pieced together available information from a range of sources from the UK, Australia, Canada and Israel. We have been in touch with former/current associates of Mr Aizik as part of our research and some Israeli military insiders.

This is what we were able to find out. We add that these findings are provisional but we believe they are fairly accurate.

Name: Pino ( AKA Moni) Aizik

Israeli Military identification number: 2166428

Date of birth: 26/06/54

Date of service: August 1972 to August 1975

1. Aizik has never been a certified Krav Maga Instructor.

2. He was never any kind Krav Maga Instructor in the army.

3. He was never an Instructor under Imi or any other reputable Krav Maga teacher.

Until his claims to have co-founded the system no one had ever heard of him.
4. It appears Moni was a NOT a Commando. Aizik did NOT serve in any Special Forces.

5. We understand that Aizik served briefly with a regular Infantry Brigade before being transferred to administrative duties.

6. Moni DOES NOT/ DID NOT teach Krav Maga or hand to hand combat in the IDF in any capacity, and is not qualified to do so.

7. Moni does not/did not teach Israeli Commandos. He has never done so in any official capacity. He ran a free seminar once which civilians and some military personnel may have attended. This came from a senior source within the Israeli Special Forces Training Division who actually teaches them.

8. His methods are not used or recognised by any branch of the IDF and never have been.

9. Aizik was not tasked with updating Krav Maga by the IDF. There was no year long project with Imi. Imi retired from the IDF when Moni was only 10 years old

10. Moni was not an Officer in the IDF (believed to have left as an N.C.O)

In order to be fair and verify our findings, we contacted Moni Aiziks lawyers via email. We did this on two seperate occasions to give him the opportunity to respond to these findings. If he does produce reasonable evidence to support his assorted and extensive claims we will gladly retract this article. No evidence has been produced.

'Inspection of Mr. Aizik’s military discharge certificate will confirm that he did not serve in the Special Forces, that he has no background or certification in counter terrorism, that he had no contact or responsibility with Krav Maga in the IDF at any time during his service, and that he was discharged from service with the rank of Sergeant as opposed to the rank of Lieutenant or Major as he claims in various publications'
Lieutenant Yuval Aran, Israeli Defence Force
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Moni_Aizik)

The Advertising Standards Authority on Aiziks claims
Moni Aizik was challenged in the UK by advertising standards Authority on 2 fundamental points.

He was asked to provide evidence that he was;
1. A Former Special Forces Commando
2. A Counter Terrorism Expert.

Mr Aizik was 'unable to find his papers' and stated,

"documents that related to Moni Aziks military experience and counter terrorism expertise were considered classified by the Israeli military and were not readily available. Aizik said members of highly specialised units were not permitted to specify which unit they had belonged to or the duties they had performed; to do so would break the military code of conduct."

This is untrue. We found numerous cases of well known Israeli public figures who shared their military units. Including the 'highly speacilised' and counter terror units like Yamam. We also checked with an Israeli Military insider who confirmed this was untrue.

Former Prime Minister Euhud Barak's career and time with special forces - Sayaret Matkal ( A highly speacilised unit) is advertised along with some of his missions including raid on Entebbe, Operation Isotope. These were highly classified missions involving a man who became Chief of General Staff and the Prime Minister of Israel. They are available for inspection on the net. Its all quite legal and common practice in Israel. See ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehud_Ba...litary_service )

Numerous examples can be found in Israel and now on the net. Only Moni Aizik claims he cant even mention the name of his unit - although he felt comfortable enough initially to be making his claims in various magazines - a documentry and across the web.

Histories can be found for many Israeli public figures and their service in Elite units. For example Arial Sharon and his time and missions as a Paratrooper see (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_S...Mitla_incident)

What do the Israeli's Military say about Moni and his claims?
One figure in the Israeli forces went on record officially with the following statement.

"Commando Krav Maga has never existed and does not exist in the IDF in any capacity. Not by name and not by form of strategies and tactics. Kapap included, it existed once from the 1930’s to the 1950’s and has never been used in any way in any area of the IDF since. Both of those systems negate what we teach here in the IDF. I’ve contacted Moni in regards to his claims, and he says he’ll call me when he’s in Israel next time to meet cause he would rather explain everything to me in person…so I’m looking forward to that meeting.
My last and final point I’m going to make here, for those who are interested in learning the official system of the IDF SF…..that system always has been and till this day is krav Maga…..and nothing else! “
SGT/MJR N
Chief Counter-Terror and Krav Maga Instructor
Israeli Defence Force, Special Forces Division
Counter-Terror and Special Operations School

Moni and Avi Nadia complained to the Military about this statement made by SGT./MJR N They complained he was making a public statement as an official quoting his rank and unit. They did not contest the accuracy of its contents in anyway.

We have been in touch with Sgt Maj N. He is not allowed to make further comment on Moni Aizik but confirms he did make this statement and stands by it.

Moni Aizik on Imi the founder of Krav Maga
(Statement from a CKM Instructor)
In October 2006 he told me that he was “not impressed” with Imi Lichtenfeld when he trained him. He said that he “bounced up and down a lot” and was quite limited as a Martial Artist.

This is untrue. The 2 men never trained together - Aizik more recently retracted this to He had met Imi once.

Statements Moni made to his Trainee Instructors - Many not in print. We have retained documentry evidence from witnesses

(Statements from various CKM Instructors and yes we have evidence.)

1. The defence against a downward “ice-pick” style knife stab had changed considerably from the defence that I had learned 1 year previously on my Level 1/2 CKM instructor course. Moni Aizik told me that he had been thinking about this situation on the plane over to the UK and had made up the technique actually on the plane. Later on in the same course I learned that Moni had been talking to other students on the course about the origins of the technique and had told them that he had been developing it Israeli Special Forces people for the previous 6 months.

2. When I first spoke to Moni Aizik about coming down for a seminar (summer in June 2006), I asked him what training he had in Krav Maga. He stated that he had collaberated with Imi Lichtenfeld many years prior and he did some refining of the system. 'That he was a Chief Instructor in Krav Maga."

3. When asked about his Krav Maga background, he said that the Krav Maga we would be exposed to is the graduate level of Krav Maga. I specifically asked him if Imi Lichtenfeld gave him his certification test and he said yes that they had worked together to get this certificate. Note I believe Eyal Yanilov (IKMF) introduced Graduate levels after Imi's Death -

4. Moni Aizik stated to me that and he was the driving force behind Krav Maga in Israel and was a Black Belt in Krav Maga and Judo. I found out later that Aizik never trained in Krav Maga a day in his life.

5. In that time I trained, he said he was a Major with a Special Forces Unit in the IDF called Sayeret Golani 13. He said while he was in the unit they were sent behind the lines of a Syrian force 1000 strong. In that battle he told me he was wounded and that all but 4 others and himself were killed. His wounds consisted of a piece of shrapnel in his eyes.

A source contacted us saying there is no Sayaret Golani 13. There is a Golani 13 which is an Infantry Batallion - not a commando or Special Unit. Aizik may have served there pror to working a Fitness Instructor. The source also informed us Aizik was certainly not in Sayaret Golani during the Yom Kippur war as they had spoken with Officers who had served then.

6. In our first meeting Moni told me and my colleague that he flew to Israel once per month to teach elite Israeli Special Forces. We believe Aizik visits family.

7. I met him at Heathrow airport, his having arrived from Israel. I asked him who he’d been training in Israel – he answered “Yamam”. A Special Unit of the Israeli Police Force. I asked him how it went; he said it went well then talked about how he was a little uncomfortable with their right wing and vehemently anti-Arab views.
An insider source told us the Yamam have had no dealings with Aizik and had never heard of him.

8. In our course held in 2008 he briefed the students extensively about the history of Commando Krav Maga and they were asked questions about it as part of their test. This included Aizik being asked to devise a new self defence system for the IDF after the 1973 Yom Kippur War in partnership with Imi Lichtenfeld. Imi retired when Moni was 10.

9. In our UK courses he talked continually about how his handgun defences had taken 20 years to develop within the IDF and how he had played a part in that development. Aizik has never trained the Special Forces and does not train the IDF in hand to hand combat.

10. Moni stated that one of the Special Forces tests that he’d undergone was to stay underwater for 12 hours breathing through a long straw and occasionally that salt would be pushed down the straw by the Instructors; he explained that the only way to counter this was to swallow the salt. ? Our sources say there is no such test. As a diver I would add that this would be highly unlikley given the diameter of the pipe and likelihood of inhaling the salt. (Paul Grey)

"When all this came out, I knew logically I had been lied to about everything and that Moni had no credibility left at all. But he is so charismatic we all wanted to believe him."
Former UK Commando Krav Maga Instructor

But I have seen the pictures on his website...
Interestingly some of Moni's images were lifted directly off a website about Israeli special forces called, isayaret.com You will also notice many pictures of Moni in one (now removed) he can be clearly seen wearing a white undershirt. We have been informed this was the uniform of a non-combatant such as worn by a trainer, cook, clerk, and physical fitness instructor. Combat troops are not allowed to wear white.

Moni Aizik with the non combatants white undershirt.

These images had been removed from his websites but some can still be found on the net.

Not a single military source has come out on Moni's behalf from the military he claims to have taught. This in its self is remarkable. Not one single person. . However several have emailed us privately stating that none of Moni's claims are untrue.

But it was on Human Weapon, it must be true
We were informed the Human weapon team chose Moni Aizik as they saw/read his extensive claims on his websites. They did not verify them. They saw his marketing and agreed to feature him.

You will note that Moni is the only person to teach on the episode with no students, or school and selected an isolated location away from from the public. For the person claiming to teach the special forces he had no soldiers, no acces to any military base/equipment

But he survived an ambush by over 1000/2000 Syrians (numbers change in accounts)

We looked into this. There is no such battle documented in any account of the war by anybody on either side. Also the nearest major battle we could find was a tank battle.

So we spoke with a current Israeli Military insider about it. He told us there that the IDF had no history or records of such an event. More so, if anything so significant had happened it would be made a case study to learn from for the future. There is no such case study.

Chief Instructor of Krav Maga..

Moni states he was asked to help Imi revamp the Krav Maga system as Moni he had the combat experience Imi lacked. Imi was a soldier in WWII seeing action across the Middle East with the Chezk legion attached to the British Army. This was on top of his life experiences in Middle Europe and the Nazi gang violence Imi endured on the streets. Extreme voilence where Jews could be beaten stabbed or shot with impunity, This is the gritty, ugly background from which Krav Maga evolved.

This is a million miles from the glossy Black Belt Magazine, Walter Mitty history with Moni in the starring role.

I am honestly sorry to have to write this article. But be honest. How much credibility can you expect from a 3 day course ?

Commando Krav Maga in a nutshell
CKM is a civilian system created by Judo Instructor Moni Aizik. Aizik attempted to associate him self with both Krav Maga and the Israeli Military via his fictional military exploits.

Not quite as sexy as the story Moni tells is it.....

Best Wishes.
Paul Grey

We are prepared to stand behind this article as a true and fair account of Moni Aizik. This article represents our honestly held beliefs. After researching Aiziks public claims, we believe he has been dishonest and mislead people for his own emotional and financial gain. Further more we believe our article reflects a reasonable and fair account of the reality around his claims.

Our sources are varied and researched and are prepared to make formal legal statements if needed. We believe it is in the pubIc Interest to share what is a reasonable and fair account of Mr Aizik and his claims.

Paul Grey

ASA Judgment article on Commando Krav Maga is here

ASA Judgement here

More information can be found here at an American Forum

Former Instructors speak out here

More on another Forum here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To ensure you are training in real Krav Maga always look out for the British Krav Maga Association Quality Mark Logo

By logging in to Facebook you can invite your friends to this site!Krav Maga Blog
History of Krav Maga
Krav Maga Articles
Links
Prices
Krav Maga Journal

Testimonials
testimonial-taste the adrenalin

Read more
testimonial-70years

Read more

testimonial-n.y.times
Read more