Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krav Maga WTF???? BladeGuru Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 181 05-17-2018 11:32 AM
Krav Maga? comas Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 100 05-17-2018 11:31 AM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 245 07-27-2012 06:29 PM
Gun In Your Face & Krav Maga Lono Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 25 06-15-2012 01:49 AM
Krav Maga Check In nukinfuts29 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 20 02-02-2012 09:16 PM
Krav Maga in denver? MtnBikeMike Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-29-2011 06:01 PM
This is Krav Maga ! sojurn87 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 86 04-09-2011 10:42 PM
Eskrima OWNS Krav Maga... go player Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 16 02-24-2010 10:32 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-24-2009 01:04 AM
Krav Maga Gun Disarm WORKED Semper Paratus Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 45 05-30-2009 12:21 PM

Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Trapper

Default Krav Maga questions

Advertise Here

I know I'm not in the best shape, 250 pounds and 35 years old. But I also know if I can drop about 20 pounds it will be easier on my body to live another 30-40 years. I have tried weight machines, walking, biking, and playing tennis but I get tired of the same thing. Now biking was a bit more interesting I just couldn't stay with it. My wife did some kick boxing training years ago and she really enjoyed it. So that has me thinking if I can learn some basic martial arts she would join me helping me stay with it.

I have checked and locally no one is teaching Krav Maga so that leaves me with books and videos. I picked up a Krav Maga for beginners from the library today and going to see what I can learn from that this week.

So my goal here is to lose some weight, get in better shape, spend a few extra hours a week with wife, and learn some skills to protect the family if we have to. (I have my CCW but I like to have a few other tricks in the bag just in case)

I also have two sons (8 and 11yr) that we have talked about putting them into karate after the first of the year. Both like sports and that should help to to improve his speed and hand work for football or other sports. A bonus will be to stay in shape as like most kids they would love to play video games all day.

So my questions are
1- can we learn enough from books and videos to protect our selfs or do we need a trainer for this?
2- if books and videos will work where do you recommend to start?
3- would my boys benefit from train with us also or should I leave that to the karate classes?

I'm sure I will have more but that gets me started
Thank you
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,054 Times in 661 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, as far as wanting to learn Krav Maga and not having someone to teach it. I keep having the BJJ people tell me just to do the BJJ, but I want something more.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
survikingvalist

1: Books and videos will at least be better than nothing. Of course a professional instructor can teach you more than some guy on youtube, but it's a start.

2: Where to start depends on your previous experience.

3: For self defence purposes I'm not a big fan of karate. It's a nice martial art, but it takes ages of practice before you're able to use it effectively in a self defence situation.

(4: Why not check out other types of martial arts that's available in you area? BJJ, FMA muai thai etc are all highly effective martial arts and they allso give you a good workout)

Last edited by Rabies; 10-22-2012 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Trapper

I will look at the BJJ also

I like Krav Maga because everything I read says its easy to learn, and while not pretty it will get the job done. We thought about karate for the kids mainly for the hand work. Being able to knock someone's hands off you or block as they grab you. But kinda think it might be better to do Krav Maga but does mean we need a trainer.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Your move Sparky...

Thanked 14,834 Times in 4,955 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Anyone that thinks they can learn self defense or the arts from a book probably didn't learn to ride a bicycle from a book either.

I would not leave something so critical up to what I learn from a book. Find ANY dojo, boxing ring, hell even a gymnastics place and just start learning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,173 Times in 3,801 Posts

As a current KM and former Muay Thai and Judo practioner, you really need the hands on structure, experience, imho...

Vids are fine for at home training, to go over what you've learned in class, but i can assure you, there is no video that prepares for you a live punch/kick/choke/throw...

The stress drills, focus mitts, group attackand gun/stick/knife drills need to be done in a crawl, walk then run setting, with another person...

KM/Combatives, are not for kids, and the fellow i train with will not teach anyone under 18yrs old, period.

We go over threat levels, situational awareness, escalation of force, etc., all adult oriented stuff..Now, you can attend the class, and then pass info on, but i would not be surprised if a serious KM trainer allows kids...

Good luck....RCF

PSYOP
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,635 Posts

You wont get fit from watching vids and you will only learn what Krav is not HOW to do it.

A class will push you to get fit and actually teach your body how to do it. You NEED the immediate feed back of various sized partners to learn.

To be honest if you're out of shape now then doing a few KM lessons a week wont do much. I know, i've been there.

Man up and go to a boxing/MMA club... there are no short cuts mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaWhiskyBravo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 AM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabies View Post
1: Books and videos will at least be better than nothing. Of course a professional instructor can teach you more than some guy on youtube, but it's a start.

2: Where to start depends on your previous experience.

3: For self defence purposes I'm not a big fan of karate. It's a nice martial art, but it takes ages of practice before you're able to use it effectively in a self defence situation.

(4: Why not check out other types of martial arts that's available in you area? BJJ, FMA muai thai etc are all highly effective martial arts and they allso give you a good workout)
I agree with the above.

Having trained in some Krav I do feel one can get the general technique from a video, but you need to work them slow with your partner. As for getting in shape from it you will only get more rigidness under your blubber, ask me how I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

You ain't going to lose much weight or get a great deal fitter doing Krav Maga.

You might lose a fair amount of weight if you spent two or three hours every couple of days at a Boxing or Muay Thai gym. Doing a semi-pro workout.
Because then they'd have you doing road work, skipping, hundreds of sit-ups and at least an hour or more on the heavy bag, speed bag, floor to ceiling bag and strike pads.
But most people don't have the spare time for that so...

I think you'd be much better off looking at a crossfit training exercise system or an MMA type training system.

Both can be about an hour long. Both can also include some bicycle exercise.
I find road biking boring, but a mix of road and mountain biking is excellent.

Here's some You Tube vids to give you an idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Warhawk-77: My wife did some kick boxing training years ago and she really enjoyed it. So that has me thinking if I can learn some basic martial arts she would join me helping me stay with it.
This might be stating the obvious, but Krav Maga isn't kickboxing.

Isn't anything like kickboxing.

Muay Thai. Savate. Kickboxing. All distinct forms of punch/kick disciplines.

If your wife really enjoyed her kickboxing before, why not attend a gym that offers one of the two above. (I say two because I know you ain't going to find a Savate instructor.)

Failing that option; why don't you and your wife simply join the karate classes with your sons?

You can still do some sort of crossfit/MMA training on non-karate days.

I don't doubt you'll get a better fitness workout in a kickboxing/karate class than a Krav Maga class anyway.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 AM

Default my opinion

Hello warhawk

Good idea to loose some weigth.........overweight can be your enemy (health/ self defense/ escape)

Training is good but if you want to loose weight THE FOOD IS YOUR FIRST GOAL.....you can train daily but if you eat junk food 3 times per day= end of the story

For me karate and others can be good for kids at the beginning (protective rules ...) but for you It is too late to learn that = try directly a combative martial art like krav maga/ some "silat" style...

Videos are good to watch and imagine but you need real hand-to-hand contact to learn what it is good or not..........There is a lot of **** in martial arts/combative art....
Why? Some teacher don't even have experience of real body combat

The most important : unleash your combative personality durinfg training = don't be "violent" for nothing but you have to know that human are conditioned to not hit other human so you have to unprogram yourself........this is not a natural processus but important...........
On this point when you have an experience in real contact martial arts, it help you

Let your children do karate.....It can be the first page of their self defense book

Eat less carbs and more during the morning than after

Hope it can help you
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 AM

Pretty much any form of in-person martial arts class is going to be better than a video. Nothing against Krav Maga, it's obviously a viable combat system, but anything you take in person will be more effective than any video.

I'm partial to Wing Chun Kung Fu (close quarters Kung fu) and Aikido (related to judo and jiu-jitsu). Having taken a variety of classes, I'd have to say that any class is better than no class. It's all about getting familiar with your body, how it interacts, muscle memory, how it feels. If you don't have personal interaction in martial arts than how can anything be learned?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jercol View Post
Having taken a variety of classes, I'd have to say that any class is better than no class.
Depend........Some martial arts are more efficient to what we believe : For exemple aikido is about to control your opponent I require years of experience to be effective.........Aiki jujitsu (daito ryu) is the ancester of aikido and is realy more agressive (same kind of technics but with another mental strategy)

Aikido is maybe good to knox how the body respond but most aikidoka does'nt know what receive a real punch on the body is!!! make a great difference when time come for a real fight.........
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrevivir View Post
Depend........Some martial arts are more efficient to what we believe : For exemple aikido is about to control your opponent I require years of experience to be effective.........Aiki jujitsu (daito ryu) is the ancester of aikido and is realy more agressive (same kind of technics but with another mental strategy)

Aikido is maybe good to knox how the body respond but most aikidoka does'nt know what receive a real punch on the body is!!! make a great difference when time come for a real fight.........
I'm not trying to suggest a martial art of judge the effectiveness of one. I'm sure that would quickly turn into an "ar vs ak" debate. I just wanted to mention the two that I like.

I think pretty much any martial art training is better than no martial arts training. However, I think learning in a class, with a trained master, with other students to train with, is the best way to go.

IMHO
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Prepared

Most martial arts classes will get you in shape. I trained aikido for months to fulfill a requirement for a personal trainer certification, and although I didn't find the techniques to be all that practical, the instructor killed us with pushups and other exercises. We would actually do about 45 minutes of exercise before we even got into the technique.

I own quite few instructional videos and have found them very useful for supplemental training and refining technique. The main problem with videos is keeping up the motivation to go through the techniques and exercises (and obviously not having anyone to spar with). At the very least maybe get your wife on board, buy a heavy bag and a set of focus mitts and you have yourself a training partner. She doesn't need to be Roger Mayweather holding the mitts for Floyd, just someone to make you move and give you a moving target.

It sounds to me like your primary objective is to get in shape, so I would recommend ANY of the martial arts that have been suggested here. From my personal experience muay thai/mma/boxing is the most high intensity, but if those options don't exist for you, anything will do!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 AM

@Jerkol

Your are right = any martial art is better than nothing
And I am agree with you in that sens = It depend on your martial art teacher too;

@warhawk

less carbs is your leitmotiv!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sobrevivir For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM

If any of you from Iowa want to start a Krav Maga training group, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM

I would be interested HawkDave. I'm in the Cedar Rapids area.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Defakto,

Im in Des Moines. The nearest Krav training center is in Omaha/Bellevue. The owner said that he will give us 50% off classes due to the commute. If we could hit one class per week and seminars, that would probably be about as good as it would get. Thanks!

Dave
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Drop me a PM and we can talk. I'll need to research what I can afford and I'd like to know some more about his classes.