Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackswift sticks. 21 century defence canes Jaqhama Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 13 12-23-2014 04:29 PM
Planting CUT black raspberry canes? THE_HUNTERIAM Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 05-05-2014 01:44 PM
walking sticks . suthincomfort DIY - Do It Yourself 34 07-30-2012 02:34 PM
Walking Sticks jackalope10mm Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 51 01-16-2012 03:56 AM
Walking Sticks (bug) PunisherWeaponSystem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 01-04-2012 09:36 AM
What have you done to your hiking/walking sticks? J.McDonald Knives Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 24 05-24-2010 10:48 AM
staves/walking sticks AlchemicRage Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 42 12-31-2009 01:14 PM
Walking sticks...with bite G.I.JOE Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 24 10-09-2009 11:27 AM

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,690 Times in 14,107 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Yes, and the jab can break a rib.
sigh

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,483 Times in 3,420 Posts

Snicker....

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0200.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to ShellbackBill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,160 Times in 3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
sigh

Is there a problem?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,690 Times in 14,107 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1064 View Post
Some very similar methods to what I mentioned previously.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM
ERROR_SUCCESS

i just bought the cold steel sword cane and it is a solid dangerous cutting weapon. now i just need to learn how to use it....i have been watching the c.s. presidents video on using the sword and also going over cane martial arts videos and will try and combine both.

the sword is small but very nice steel but it does need work done to finish out the edge/sharpness. probably not finished because double edged weapons are illegal in some states....but as is it will go right thru a human with absolutely no effort and easily take an arm off.

as a stabbing and 'flicking' weapon and if i get good enough..a slashing weapon...i think it will be devastating.....the thing is actually kinda scary as you could cut your lower leg off with a miss placed swing.

the 'casing' part of the cane is heavy aluminium and could be used to bop someone but it might bend the shaft..?....i havent tested this out but it would take a stout piece of tubing to withstand a full on blow to something hard and not deform.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,004 Times in 631 Posts

HTML Code:
So if you only have a stick with you, you shouldn't try to defend yourself
Did I say that?

HTML Code:
The weapon you use is not nearly as important as training, keeping your head in a fight, and using your chosen weapon to its greatest advantage. For example, if you've got a staff and the other guy has a gun, you're not going to charge him across a big open space. On the other hand, if you lure him in by concealment or deception, then he can be quickly disabled or disarmed.
Your making my case. Which is that an untrained person gains no real advantage with a cane, and it is a very limited weapon for self defense.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM

a stick is a stick, baseball bat to cane or even thinner some break easier then others but they are all good weapons if that's what you got. Same technique works with all of them...no swinging unless you have your opponent at a disadvantage...jab, thrust, slash
Old 07-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,328 Times in 686 Posts

I have a 5 foot two piece walking stick with brass ends and a brass connector.

This makes for two 2 1/2 foot long sticks with solid brass ends

During my time in the navy in the philippines i took up the martial art of Arnis/Baston/Bangkaw

I now need a cane and i use my walking stick anytime i go to LA Calif.

Never had a problem with any security checks.
The Following User Says Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 06:17 PM

I would love to cruise with a jo but I think LE would flip out and shoot me in my neighborhood. Oddly enough I think I am safer from the police carrying a knife then a jo or bo.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
I have a 5 foot two piece walking stick with brass ends and a brass connector.

This makes for two 2 1/2 foot long sticks with solid brass ends

During my time in the navy in the philippines i took up the martial art of Arnis/Baston/Bangkaw

YouTube - ‪Kombatan Arnis - Grand Master Ernesto G Presas Jnr‬‏

I now need a cane and i use my walking stick anytime i go to LA Calif.

Never had a problem with any security checks.

love some escrima! do you do any striking arts? i find that kempo flows nicely with much of the stick/blade work.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 AM

Old Grump, Kudos to you for kicking some A**! Surprise is the BEST way to overcome any adversary. Second to that is the weapon you feel comfortable with, and can carry. I'm not afraid of people with knives, because they are a very specifically ranged weapon that is used ineffectively by most people who wield them. A simple sidestep and twist will accurately deflect most strikes, leaving a side for striking or a whole arm to be grabbed, wrenched, or (my preference) grabbed, twisted and broken in three different places as they land on the ground.

A cane/walking stick has much broader use. As a thrust weapon, it focuses force on one small area. A swinging arc gives lots of force due to momentum and leverage, and bracing between both arms can keep an attacker at bay long enough for you to plant your foot behind his so he falls backwards when you shove him.

No matter who you are, the most important one is the one between your ears! USe it well, and never go anywhere unarmed.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
HTML Code:
So if you only have a stick with you, you shouldn't try to defend yourself
Did I say that?

HTML Code:
The weapon you use is not nearly as important as training, keeping your head in a fight, and using your chosen weapon to its greatest advantage. For example, if you've got a staff and the other guy has a gun, you're not going to charge him across a big open space. On the other hand, if you lure him in by concealment or deception, then he can be quickly disabled or disarmed.
Your making my case. Which is that an untrained person gains no real advantage with a cane, and it is a very limited weapon for self defense.
you did say it was a pathetic weapon.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,004 Times in 631 Posts

Yes I did say that. A lot of people are pathetic at defending themselves with or without a cane. That doesn't mean that you don't try and defend yourself. Heck the other person might be pathetic or bluffing also. If you have to defend yourself do so and grab whatever you can find to help you.

My argument is that people overestimate the cane as a weapon and put to much trust in its ability to be employed as a weapon.

Thanks for all the responses. I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this one. It is MY opinion not a fact. I'm just trying to get people to think about it for themselves and not just accept it as an effective weapon.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Hiker

I have a 5'6" walking stick and am well trained in it's use both for walking and fighting if thier is no way out of it. When I was in the Army, just a young lad, our drill sergeant put me in with a guy almost twice my size with the pugle sticks. It didn't last very long because he was down and out. Sarge never put me back in with anybody again. He just said you don't need anymore training. Funny thing was my training was just me practicing, never any real training other than what I taught myself. Now I'm 66 and point and pull comes to mind even more than the walking stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to papa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM

I used to ride my bike to the bus stop every morning and every day for a few months there would be an old man walking down the street with what looked like a pimp cane, albeit with a nasty looking spike on the end. I don't know if it was being carried for protection, looks, or just aid in walking, but that tip looked like it would put a nice size hole in you if it was used correctly. My parents also bought $10 walking sticks at a swap meet with a rubber cap on the end, under which both also have a sharp spike on the end. The only reason my parents bought them was in case they were taking a morning walk and a wild/loose dog tried to attack them. I somewhat agree with the OP on the fact that walking sticks are overestimated but if they are used correctly they can be a right pain.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,309 Posts

My Hubby has a 17th century French thing that looks like a cane, but has a sword thing inside. I can't remember what he calls it, but it looks very Count of Monte Cristo. It's also sharp and would leave a significant hole if punched into someone.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM

I have a knee that at times feels great, but other times locks up on me, so if I'm out on a walk or hiking I take a cane with me. I don't care who you are, or what you are if I have to use it as a weapon you are having your ass kicked. Not saying that I'm Mr. Super Stud or anything like that, but it is lightweight, I can get major swing on it, and upside someones head, or between the legs, they are going down. It's just an old fashioned wooden cane with a hooked handle. I can hold onto it just below the hook, with the hook wrapped around my wrist so it is very difficult to pull it out of my hand.

I have not had to use it against a human as of yet, but it has been used to take on a couple of wild dogs that thought I was going to be lunch, and was VERY effective.

With the proper training, ANYTHING you have in your hand can be an effective weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck Masterson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Trapper

I know this is an old thread but wanted to comment on the fact both the japanese and koreans developed martial arts techniques for using the cane as it can be a very nondescript weapon. I have seen some of the korean techniques from kuk sool won, hapkido etc. and in the hands of a trained or even an aggressive user it can be a useful weapon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swordbearer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,506 Times in 7,816 Posts

Black Knight, I carry and use a cane. The ferrule is a trifle over half an inch in diameter, and metal-shod. I weigh in at about 190 pounds, and in a full-extension lunge, I can put about 400 foot-pounds onto that half-inch circle. Such an impact is usually enough to stop the fight. And before you quibble about the 400 foot-pounds, it was measured with a ceramic strain gauge out at Bergstrom AFB. 5 strikes ran from 385 foot-pounds to 412 foot pounds, averaging 400.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,543 Times in 10,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I'm also sure historically there exists cases of people defending themselves with a cane. I wonder how many of these were conducted by people who were good fighters without this aid. Also I suspect there are countless failed attempts of people trying to defend themselves with a pathetic weapon like this and got it taken away and the attacker got revenge.

The only real application a weapon like this would have is for ambushing purposes. For instance your friend is getting beat and you walk up behind the attacker and make repeated accurate shots with the knob end of a cane. I doubt a medium sized stick would even be great for this purpose.

Possibly they could be used as a stand off weapon, if the attacker was afraid of it. Defense never leads to winning.

Certainly the could be used to lock up somebody that really isn't interested in fighting(which is often how law enforcement employs it). Not for self defense.

I have seen a lot of officers try and employ their sicks for striking, most of these sticks are designed with weighted ends, with pathetic results. Most officers will not employ their sticks because they rarely gain compliance. Granted the Police shorter baton with weighted ends would be a lot more effective when striking lethal targets(head, neck and spine) than longer walking sticks and canes, but I'm referring to walking sticks and canes in this thread.

OK, let me have it I know there are a lot of people here who will disagree.
the quarter staff was ubiquitus as the weapon of the traveler/common man

also quarter staffs are good training for other pole arms a knight or other man at arms may be required to pick up and use in a fight so i would imagine everyone was familiar with staff weapons back in the day
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post: