Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackswift sticks. 21 century defence canes Jaqhama Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 13 12-23-2014 04:29 PM
Planting CUT black raspberry canes? THE_HUNTERIAM Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 05-05-2014 01:44 PM
walking sticks . suthincomfort DIY - Do It Yourself 34 07-30-2012 02:34 PM
Walking Sticks jackalope10mm Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 51 01-16-2012 03:56 AM
Walking Sticks (bug) PunisherWeaponSystem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 01-04-2012 09:36 AM
What have you done to your hiking/walking sticks? J.McDonald Knives Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 24 05-24-2010 10:48 AM
staves/walking sticks AlchemicRage Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 42 12-31-2009 01:14 PM
Walking sticks...with bite G.I.JOE Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 24 10-09-2009 11:27 AM

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,486 Times in 1,887 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Now an axe handle is totally different, it is a much more effective striking weapon.

Cane sword.

Old grump, I'm glad you and the boy are OK. Congrats.
First time nephew ever called me sir, 2 years later he still respects the doddering old man. Incidentally the knife guy, now 18 is in custody for armed robbery waiting on a trial date, apparently he was a slow learner. The other kid I have not heard anything about and my nephew has not seen him around. Could be he decided a life of crime wasn't a good career choice.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,004 Times in 631 Posts

Ironically last week I had a guy come out of a house holding a table leg ready to fight. He wouldn't drop it right away when told to do so. Now I wasn't about to go hands on with him, I'm not paid to fight fair. The only thing that kept him from getting shot was the fence that was between me and him.

Funny, I've never been threatened with a stick before, I post this thread and then it happens. I need to be careful what I post I guess.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,885 Times in 14,188 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajoscochise View Post
This brings to mind the movie 'Quigley Down Under" where Tom Selleck (Quigley) takes out a whole crew with a hickory axe handle. Sure it's just a movie but he really messes up some blokes with just a stick.
'walking tall'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

I used to compete in foil-fencing, and for a couple years I coached a high school fencing team.

Doing Law Enforcement work I had the occasion to use a few fencing moves just using two fingers. Reflexes are reflexes after all. A block and repost [or 3/4 of a second later] and an opponent can only focus on trying to make his throat work again so he can breath.

If you train in any martial art, then you will be better than 99.95% of the other people out there.

People can debate for years about which martial art is 'best'. But the debate is silly. Chances are that you will never face-off with anyone who is trained in any art.

If you train with a quarterstaff and then carry a quarterstaff; you will likely be able to defend yourself under 99.95% of all situations.

If you train with a 33" straight pointy stick and then carry a 33" straight pointy stick; you will likely be able to disarm your opponent in 99.95% of all situations.

Just consider trained LEOs and/or infantry in how they clear a room. Now compare that to how 99.95% of all stupid thugs handle a firearm. With both sides holding identical weapons the trained men will stomp the untrained in nearly all cases.

If you insist that you must refuse any training, then maybe you should avoid carrying a cane [or any weapon]. Because as an untrained person going against a thug it is a flip of a coin whether you will be stomped or not.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

A good solid cane is just a stick and Bufford T Pusser, made a believer out of many a criminal with the stick he carried. A well placed strike to the back of the knee will put anyone on the ground, then one to the top of the skull will put them out, I weighted both ends of the ones my wife uses just in case.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Trapper

Sorry but I have to disagree. A little old lady against a great big drunk guy? Your probably right. I guy with a strong wrist and the willingness to hurt somebody is gonna do just fine with that cane.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nolan.Sackett For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan.Sackett View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree. A little old lady against a great big drunk guy? Your probably right. I guy with a strong wrist and the willingness to hurt somebody is gonna do just fine with that cane.
Quote:
Date: Friday, May 01, 2009, 4:26 am
By: Associated Press

QUARTZ HILL, Calif. - Don't mess with the marching band. That's what California authorities are saying after a 17-year-old girl used her marching band baton to beat back two would-be muggers.

Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Michael Rust says the Quartz Hill girl was walking to school April 24 when two men approached her from behind, tried to grab her coat and demanded money.

Instead, one got a punch in the nose and the other a kick to the groin. Rust says the girl then beat both of them with her band baton before she ran away.

The men had not been caught. But Rust says there's a clear message to take from the encounter:

"The moral to this story is don't mess with the marching band girls, or you just might get what you deserve. Final score: marching band 2, thugs 0."
http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=ar...pora_news/9000
Quote:
Take Nell Hamm, for example. She beat a mountain lion over the head with a log when it nabbed her husband during a hike. She also tried poking it in the eye with a pen from her hubby’s pocket, but the pen bent, so she went back to clubbing it until it gave up and walked away. Nell is just a youngster compared to 97-year-old Dorothy Buckingham who fought off a would-be purse snatcher who was 50 years younger than she. The robber was arrested a short time after the failed attempt. http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/ki...aking-any-crap
Aint what you got or how big and strong you are but the willingness to use what you have and the determination not to be a victim.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM

They never met my grandmother either.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteViewer View Post
They never met my grandmother either.
Mine either, one was a sturdy old Swede who didn't need a weapon and the other was a little bit of a Bohunk who was pretty quick with and a good shot with a 30-30.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,161 Times in 3,372 Posts

My Grandma was fierce with a shoe, she could whip that sucker off and comence to beating someone (me) with speed to make a boxer jealous.

Here is the thing about walking sticks and canes-they are primarily walking aides. Those thin lightweight crook canes are not a baseball bat, baseball bats are clubs. What you are supposed to to with those lightweight crook canes is hold the crook with one hand, grasp half way down with the other, and ram the skinny end home in the gut, ribs, nuts, or face.

A pool cue is light and flimsy, but we have all seen what happens when used like a spear. Little old ladies carry a cane to help them walk. They dont usually carry shotguns or Colt .45's, so they use what they have-a stick they know the exact weight, balance, length, and feel of.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I'm also sure historically there exists cases of people defending themselves with a cane. I wonder how many of these were conducted by people who were good fighters without this aid. Also I suspect there are countless failed attempts of people trying to defend themselves with a pathetic weapon like this and got it taken away and the attacker got revenge.....
So if you only have a stick with you, you shouln't try to defend yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,429 Times in 3,475 Posts

Good against dogs and crazies I think. Against real criminals, not so good.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,219 Times in 2,428 Posts

Cane not much of a weapon? Obviously you have never seen or experienced what a Japanese Police Officer can do with one of those @ 4 ft orange and white painted Bamboo sticks they are so fond of...They might only be 5ft 5 and a buck o five but they are pretty wirey and it wont take but about a New York Minute for them to have you down on the ground in the fetal position shaking like a leaf while gasping for air like a guppy out of water! As quick as they can "put the thrill back in death" with that stick, rest assured I have a whole new found level of respect for a man with a bamboo stick!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,609 Times in 3,734 Posts

The weapon you use is not nearly as important as training, keeping your head in a fight, and using your chosen weapon to its greatest advantage. For example, if you've got a staff and the other guy has a gun, you're not going to charge him across a big open space. On the other hand, if you lure him in by concealment or deception, then he can be quickly disabled or disarmed.

Surprise is also useful over short distances. If someone is 20 or 30 feet away, you can come at them at a run (screaming helps with this if stealth isn't important), closing that gap very quickly, and if they manage to get a shot off, chances are it will go wild if you can get them to panic.

Don't get me wrong, I have a firearm with me, but I'll have a good sturdy staff as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Here is the thing about walking sticks and canes-they are primarily walking aides. Those thin lightweight crook canes are not a baseball bat, baseball bats are clubs. What you are supposed to to with those lightweight crook canes is hold the crook with one hand, grasp half way down with the other, and ram the skinny end home in the gut, ribs, nuts, or face.
Okay, one of my canes matches your description, the rest are pretty stout including 2 stock canes I use around my back fields if I'm not using a walking stick.

The one I used in my little altercation was my light weight cane, it fits me and was convenient to grab when I left the house. The punk didn't stick around to get hit a third time. I use mine to keep my face off the ground and it's all I had with me. You uses what you gots to use, don't be telling people how to cane fight unless you been dere dun dat.

If I had stopped to do the movie trick of repositioning my cane for a belly or face punch I could have been sliced up good because the punk with the knife was barely 3' from my face.

You don't have time to be getting into fighting stances, you just do what you gotta do. Any street fighter will be glad to demonstrate, he won't get in the ready position he will hit you with whatever he has from whatever position he is in and he will do it right now and then he will do it again for as long as necessary. The important thing is to do something and to do it quickly.

A little old lady with a fast heavy purse up alongside the head of some street punk trumps Joe Karate who moves into ready position and warns the punk he is about to have a bad day.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
... What you are supposed to to with those lightweight crook canes is hold the crook with one hand, grasp half way down with the other, and ram the skinny end home in the gut, ribs, nuts, or face ...
There are many ways to cane.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBar67 View Post
Good against dogs and crazies I think. Against real criminals, not so good.
Real criminals tend to wear a suit and tie, but even they will fold to a cane.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasha View Post
Dunno about NC, but that could get you 11/29 across the state line here.

- OS
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
Okay...If I had stopped to do the movie trick of repositioning my cane for a belly or face punch I could have been sliced up good because the punk with the knife was barely 3' from my face....The important thing is to do something and to do it quickly....
Okay, maybe my description sounded complicated or slow, but putting your second hand "somewhere" on the stick greatly magnifies the force and control. Using it as a "spear" obviously is for range (or to keep them at range). Sometimes you just gotta swing it up for a chin strike if they are that close.

It's not a movie trick, but a standard martial arts/defense move called a "jab" in Cane-Fu (for the elderly). I was trying to demonstrate that a "weak little walking cane" can infict real damage the same way a pool cue can wreck havoc when used "inline".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
There are many ways to cane.
Yes, and the jab can break a rib.