Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krav Maga questions warhawk-77 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 47 08-17-2018 02:34 AM
Krav Maga WTF???? BladeGuru Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 181 05-17-2018 11:32 AM
Krav Maga and Concealed Handguns Porkchop Samich Pistol and Revolver Forum 33 03-12-2014 09:30 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 245 07-27-2012 06:29 PM
Gun In Your Face & Krav Maga Lono Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 25 06-15-2012 01:49 AM
Krav Maga Check In nukinfuts29 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 20 02-02-2012 09:16 PM
Krav Maga in denver? MtnBikeMike Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-29-2011 06:01 PM
This is Krav Maga ! sojurn87 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 86 04-09-2011 10:42 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-24-2009 01:04 AM

Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Advertise Here

I love this one.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,451 Times in 10,284 Posts

I like the philosophy, mind set and stress training that Krav Maga promotes. I'm meh about the techniques, not because they're bad, but because they can be found in most other combat systems.
Not Krav Maga, but I've had the good fortune of studying some krav panim el panim -kapap- and it's been an excellent addition to both my hand to hand and knife skills. My experience with Kapap has also given me a healthy respect for branches of the Israeli military.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,416 Times in 8,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecrawler View Post
I like the philosophy, mind set and stress training that Krav Maga promotes. I'm meh about the techniques, not because they're bad, but because they can be found in most other combat systems.
Not Krav Maga, but I've had the good fortune of studying some krav panim el panim -kapap- and it's been an excellent addition to both my hand to hand and knife skills. My experience with Kapap has also given me a healthy respect for branches of the Israeli military.
I actually have issue with the mindset.

And I started to notice this when the would come in to our gym and

A. start tapping to everything.
And
B. Throw ineffective grind to get out of everything.

Now the mindset is that they are using moves so deadly that if you don't comply fast your head will pop off or something. So they just don't resist much. They don't fight for escapes.
Guillotine a kraver and he is done.

And the method because the moves are so deadly is that you can't train with resistance. They do complaint drills and the progression is harder faster compliant drills. What this does is actually train people to be more compliant.

So as they progress their moves appear to have more effect but that is the partner learning to fall not the student becoming more effective.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Survivor

As an example.

Dude he is just ****ing standing there there is no need to tea off on the guy.

My security trainer does the same crap with wrist locks I stand there compliant I let him grab my arm I stand limp until he has locked the move on and then he grinds it until I squeal. Apparently this shows that the move is effective.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Target Shooter

If you can't do techniques against a resisting partner then it is not going to work in a real fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 AM
Banned From Books

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 14,398 Times in 3,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravist View Post
The Krav Maga that is being fed to the American people is a watered down version with techniques from about 25 years ago. It has become a fitness routine and a "McDojo" with a corporate structure. True Israeli Krav Maga is nothing like that. It is designed to be learned quickly, not strung out for years in order to retain students. Be careful what you are learning. If someone hands up a shingle and claims to be teaching Krav Maga from Los Angeles, then look elsewhere. Krav Maga Worldwide, based in Los Angeles, does not even have a school in Israel. Not very worldwide... Probably because the Israelis cannot stand them after they tried to copyright the term "Krav Maga" after they were taught the system by the Israeli in the 80's.

Find a good instructor and train like hell. Don't be fooled by the flashy advertisement.
The original 'Krav Maga' was Pankration. Combat wrestling popular in the ancient world of Greece, Germany and Hellenic lands. Rome later copied it.

Basically if you were separated from your weapon you'd use it to get free and retrieve it using as much controlled violence as possible.
Nowadays that typically translates to making your way clear of the danger zone.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,451 Times in 10,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
I actually have issue with the mindset.

And I started to notice this when the would come in to our gym and

A. start tapping to everything.
And
B. Throw ineffective grind to get out of everything.

Now the mindset is that they are using moves so deadly that if you don't comply fast your head will pop off or something. So they just don't resist much. They don't fight for escapes.
Guillotine a kraver and he is done.

And the method because the moves are so deadly is that you can't train with resistance. They do complaint drills and the progression is harder faster compliant drills. What this does is actually train people to be more compliant.

So as they progress their moves appear to have more effect but that is the partner learning to fall not the student becoming more effective.
Sorry bro, to clarify, what I mean by mindset is the idea of training under extrordinary stresses, such as sprinting a soccer pitch, doing burpees, then fighting a fresh attacker, or fighting someone on a bus while four others are smacking you with kicking shields, this sort of thing. But I do agree with you, watching KM go mainstream over the years there's definitely that "I grab wrist/you fall down" issue which plagues most techniques that become overly by wrote.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM

I have been practicing and training in Krav for quite a few years. it is an excellent system for what it is intended for, which is to neutralize a threat as quickly as possible and enable you to remove yourself from that area ASAP. It is not a magic bullet that will enable you to be an invincible fighter (regardless of how it has been hyped over the years). If that is what you are looking for, then please, let me know when you find that system.

Krav Maga, at least from what I have learned and studied, is a striking style of fighting, with an emphasis of doing everything in your power to prevent the fight from going to the ground, as that is where most people are at their most vulnerable. That being said, you do learn some basic ground work, which would be effective against most people (assuming that the vast majority of the population are untrained in a fighting style or martial art). However, were you to go to the ground against someone trained in ground fighting and you are only trained in Krav, you will be at a considerable disadvantage. that is why most instructors worth their salt recommend you supplement your training in Krav with BJJ, wrestling, or another "ground " fighting style.

Another misconception about Krav is that a great emphasis is placed on Joint locks or pain compliance. While their is instruction in this, it is only used as a follow-up to strikes.

Also, Krav drills into the students to have situational awareness and avoid placing yourself in a scenario where you would need to defend yourself, which is the best method of self-defense there is.

Lastly, if you are serious about learning to defend yourself, nothing beats actually attending classes. I do not believe you can learn any fighting style through a book or videos. You need to train live, against others and experience getting hit, kicked, kneed, taken down, etc. to learn how to react if it should actually happen in a real situation. So, if you can, go out, take some classes, find a style that you like and meets the needs you have set for yourself, have fun with it, and train, train, train.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:14 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

having studied and competed in the MA sport many years ago (young and dumb)...I had settled into the reality that as I became old and crotchety that any self defense moves would have to be more basic..no time to do 30 mins of strecthing etc to get those fancy flying roundhouse kids up to the side of the head (grin)

but one day years back i was channel surfing and i don't even know what show was on, but in the background they showed training for some soldiers..wasn't the topic of the show...and i see a couple of moves that peaked my interest..a bit of homework and i found Krav and have been very pleased.

it is for the most part exactly what i was already trying to accomplish and where I wanted to be with personal defense.

i know there are guys who take the style way further than I ever care to nor am capable of now...but for tools to get an attacker off of you,create space/time/opportunity, to either escape or get your gun into the fight...
yeah, good stuff

i've never been one to want to roll around and tussel with other boys..if there's going to be a leg head lock ensue.. I'd rather it be with a purty girl...

so i could care less about huggin and squeezin with other guys for sport... Krav at the basic 3 quick moves level gives me something to practice and get into my head..combine that with some force on force knife/firearms work and it's something everyone should consider.
The Following User Says Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Well said, Bighanded.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Thanked 6,786 Times in 1,926 Posts

I am interested in krav maga, but I want to know: how much actual full contact sparring do krav maga schools implement in practice? Is it full-on kickboxing, grappling or a mix of both?
I try and avoid martial arts that focus too much on forms and katas and favor those that allow you to practice at full strength against a resisting opponent
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Those are Great!! Especially the first one where the woman throws the robber to the ground and starts pounding on him with hammer fists and his buddy needs to come save him with a baton. What a bunch of soft losers and props to this tough woman for defending herself!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis tobogen View Post
I am interested in krav maga, but I want to know: how much actual full contact sparring do krav maga schools implement in practice? Is it full-on kickboxing, grappling or a mix of both?
I try and avoid martial arts that focus too much on forms and katas and favor those that allow you to practice at full strength against a resisting opponent
Different KM schools will have different methods of instruction...I'm afraid you'll just have to research via the internet or ring up the ones in your area and go visit the one you find the most suitable.

I would suggest that you also visit a couple of MMA fight gyms and see what they have to offer.

It may be of course that your area is limited in regards to KM and MMA gyms...in which case spend a month at one, then a month at the other, see which one you like best.
Or alternate each week for a couple of months.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

^ I already belong to an MMA gym, but I mainly train in BJJ.

There are a few KM schools around I 'll have to see for myself then
Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,453 Times in 2,662 Posts

KM is much more fitness and condition based than anything. There is a lot of partnered sparring and simulated attack and defense exchanges. They sometimes do the padded attacker thing so you can unload on the person full contact style.

The thing is, KM is based on real combat. It's not rolling around on the ground with another man for 20 minutes. It's either pre-empting or repelling an attack and then quickly and viciously launching a counter attack which is aimed at incapacitating the other person as quickly as possible by any means necessary.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
KM is much more fitness and condition based than anything. There is a lot of partnered sparring and simulated attack and defense exchanges. They sometimes do the padded attacker thing so you can unload on the person full contact style.

The thing is, KM is based on real combat. It's not rolling around on the ground with another man for 20 minutes. It's either pre-empting or repelling an attack and then quickly and viciously launching a counter attack which is aimed at incapacitating the other person as quickly as possible by any means necessary.
If you can't fight off you back. If you can't wrestle You will roll around on the ground as long as the other guy wants you to.

The reason fighters don't stand in the pocket and trade is that it is a very risky and very punishing way to fight. This is why I laugh a bit at the guys who infight every super elbow head but you can throw they can throw as well.

I think I will start outside with some safety jabs. If it is twenty minutes of me smashing you and not you hitting me I am fine with that.

This is just slaps and in the pocket trading ended badly.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Adventurer

Quote:

On the average KM practitioners are less fit than MMA practitioners.

MMA folk prep for 3 minute rounds of full contact, KM folk don't.

Lot of KM schools makes a big deal about anyone, of any fitness level, being able to learn KM...big part of their sales pitch...that's not something that is applicable to MMA practitioners.

Not saying that some KM students are not very fit, but that would be the exception I think, not the rule.

Though I may be mistaken, as this article I just read seems to point more toward a higher level of fitness and years of training.

The Krav Maga schools of today have, shall we say, higher standards for passing tests and the conditioning drills and techniques are imparted in very brutal ways for years, not months. Since the early 1970′s it has been retooled somewhat for the Average Joe in order to be a civilian self-defense style of martial arts, retaining its core but constantly being tweaked and in some cases overhauled to keep pace with the constantly changing tactics of the street.

Maybe the question isn’t so much can anybody learn Krav Maga, it’s does everyone want to learn Krav Maga? Do I think anyone can learn Krav Maga? Except in extreme cases, yes, to a point. There’s someone in our class who is 63 and is doing pretty damn well. But he is not typical nor do we see too many frail and timid people advance all that far before bailing. Even some Black Belts eventually wander from the path after they’ve achieved that incredible goal, that which kept their focus for those grueling years of training.

http://kravmagajourney.com/2012/08/1...-for-everyone/

I'm not sure this guy's really on the right page either, a self-defence system shouldn't take years to learn, and the original Krav Maga system certainly did not...no one who really wants to learn self-defence should be worried about gaining a Black Belt..that's just the bait on the end of the commercial hook.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about......have you so called rolled on the ground against someone that knows what they are doing?
The Following User Says Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,015 Times in 487 Posts

I never got that stereotype. Even in the MMA matches where they do spent alot of time on the ground, its usually because one of the participants is making it happen on purpose, with sufficient skill at immobilizing the other guy that it persists. In teh stweets of Israel or something, you could pin someone down like that so your fellow soldiers can take the guy out. If your goal was different, and you needed to finish it, obviously youd deliver a beating instead (unarmed).

If my intent is to take someone out, why would i lay-and-pray? But if i wanna stall out a competition for whatever reason...
Old 04-28-2014, 12:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilant View Post
I never got that stereotype. Even in the MMA matches where they do spent alot of time on the ground, its usually because one of the participants is making it happen on purpose, with sufficient skill at immobilizing the other guy that it persists. In teh stweets of Israel or something, you could pin someone down like that so your fellow soldiers can take the guy out. If your goal was different, and you needed to finish it, obviously youd deliver a beating instead (unarmed).

If my intent is to take someone out, why would i lay-and-pray? But if i wanna stall out a competition for whatever reason...
They don't spar. So they don't understand why you just don't finish the guy like they do.

See it takes three hits and they are done.

Look at mma. They can't finish a fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post: