Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krav Maga questions warhawk-77 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 47 08-17-2018 02:34 AM
Krav Maga WTF???? BladeGuru Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 181 05-17-2018 11:32 AM
Krav Maga and Concealed Handguns Porkchop Samich Pistol and Revolver Forum 33 03-12-2014 09:30 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 245 07-27-2012 06:29 PM
Gun In Your Face & Krav Maga Lono Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 25 06-15-2012 01:49 AM
Krav Maga Check In nukinfuts29 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 20 02-02-2012 09:16 PM
Krav Maga in denver? MtnBikeMike Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-29-2011 06:01 PM
This is Krav Maga ! sojurn87 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 86 04-09-2011 10:42 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-24-2009 01:04 AM

Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Advertise Here

The Krav Maga that is being fed to the American people is a watered down version with techniques from about 25 years ago. It has become a fitness routine and a "McDojo" with a corporate structure. True Israeli Krav Maga is nothing like that. It is designed to be learned quickly, not strung out for years in order to retain students. Be careful what you are learning. If someone hands up a shingle and claims to be teaching Krav Maga from Los Angeles, then look elsewhere. Krav Maga Worldwide, based in Los Angeles, does not even have a school in Israel. Not very worldwide... Probably because the Israelis cannot stand them after they tried to copyright the term "Krav Maga" after they were taught the system by the Israeli in the 80's.

Find a good instructor and train like hell. Don't be fooled by the flashy advertisement.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kravist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Prepared

Well in my thread i have gone down this journey as well. I to wanted to learn krav maga and systemma, but there isnt a school with in 2 hours of here. Which is one of the drawbacks of krav maga and systemma IMHO. The only places i have found them is in Indianapolis or the extreme south in Evansville.

I may pick up a book on WWII combatives i saw and see if i can add that to the training im going to start in mma.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Blade Master

The problem with Krav Maga is that they don't teach you how to be an attacker. They only teach you how to respond in a scenario. A scenario that you shouldn't be in anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravist View Post
The Krav Maga that is being fed to the American people is a watered down version with techniques from about 25 years ago. It has become a fitness routine and a "McDojo" with a corporate structure. True Israeli Krav Maga is nothing like that. It is designed to be learned quickly, not strung out for years in order to retain students. Be careful what you are learning. If someone hands up a shingle and claims to be teaching Krav Maga from Los Angeles, then look elsewhere. Krav Maga Worldwide, based in Los Angeles, does not even have a school in Israel. Not very worldwide... Probably because the Israelis cannot stand them after they tried to copyright the term "Krav Maga" after they were taught the system by the Israeli in the 80's.

Find a good instructor and train like hell. Don't be fooled by the flashy advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kframe View Post
Well in my thread i have gone down this journey as well. I to wanted to learn krav maga and systemma, but there isnt a school with in 2 hours of here. Which is one of the drawbacks of krav maga and systemma IMHO. The only places i have found them is in Indianapolis or the extreme south in Evansville.

I may pick up a book on WWII combatives i saw and see if i can add that to the training im going to start in mma.
finding a legit place and instructor is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSmartNY View Post
The problem with Krav Maga is that they don't teach you how to be an attacker. They only teach you how to respond in a scenario. A scenario that you shouldn't be in anyway.
the way we drill is one person is the attacker, the other defends (which in km is by attacking anyways). plus sparring teaches you how to attack. but ya, a few of the drills are situations you should never find yourself in. but it's nice to have that "just in case" knowledge down. most of the times when we drill such things (face down on the ground with a gun to the back of your head for instance) our instructor says you should never find yourself in this situation, but if you mess up bad enough to here's how to get out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swindler View Post
Yeah, Prob the best fighting system IMO. Ain't pretty but if you quickly need to put down someone, and don't care about fighting dirty or below the bet
lt. This is it. There is a big debate over Krav Vs MMA. But my opinion Krav is way better. Why? You won't be ever fighting a streetfight with rules and guidelines. MMA people don't train for certain things because it's illegal in their sport( groin shots, eye shots, knife attacks/sel defense, gun tactics/self defense. Krav on the other hand serves only purpose to defend yorself by any means necesarry. Huge difference.
exactly, nonsport fighting looks bad when you try to apply it to something with rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantill View Post
They just opened a dojo here in town. just wish that martial arts weren't so expensive.
i agree, but i think it's worth it....lol, i keep seeing this in gun threads but "how much do you think your life is worth (usually people arguing against hipoint handguns).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttruscott View Post
I've been told by students in American classes that it has lost its hard core edge and is just another choice now.
i disagree on that one, but it depends on where you go i guess.

i've been doing it for about a month or so and plan on doing it as long as i'm in this area (but i'm by no means an expert obviously).

it's good stuff, but finding a legit instructor is a bit hard

it's a great system and training is worth your time "if" you can find a good instructor. that's the hard part, most places aren't offically certified by any of the isreali or international krav maga groups (there are several that all seem to teach basically the same system) i'm not too sure on who the most "prominent" or whatever any of these groups are. some seem to be having a bit of a ****ing match with the others.

but anyways the place i go is here,
i think i got lucky:
http://www.precisionmartialarts.net/

he's certified by this organization:
http://www.your-krav-maga-expert.com...structors.html
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Prepared

i have some basic experience in krav maga from classes i took in middle school ... in 1 year i join the IDF so i think I will know badass moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravist View Post

man i totally agree with you , i learned some in france and even there its more tough than US ( but the IDF program that i will learn next year is totally badass)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,509 Times in 1,207 Posts

Agree with Jeremy and others here. I have trained Krav both in Israel and here in the US. The place i went to for training here in MD was decent enough, but there was little emphasis on true Krav, it was more a mixture of MMA and Krav, and where they had a business model which catered to the regular guy and gal who just wanted a workout regime with "benefits," and where the focus of course was to retain students for as long as possible trough the use of various levels, testing, etc.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,687 Times in 8,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyassmetalhead View Post
finding a legit place and instructor is hard

the way we drill is one person is the attacker, the other defends (which in km is by attacking anyways). plus sparring teaches you how to attack. but ya, a few of the drills are situations you should never find yourself in. but it's nice to have that "just in case" knowledge down. most of the times when we drill such things (face down on the ground with a gun to the back of your head for instance) our instructor says you should never find yourself in this situation, but if you mess up bad enough to here's how to get out of it.

exactly, nonsport fighting looks bad when you try to apply it to something with rules.

i agree, but i think it's worth it....lol, i keep seeing this in gun threads but "how much do you think your life is worth (usually people arguing against hipoint handguns).

i disagree on that one, but it depends on where you go i guess.

i've been doing it for about a month or so and plan on doing it as long as i'm in this area (but i'm by no means an expert obviously).

it's good stuff, but finding a legit instructor is a bit hard

it's a great system and training is worth your time "if" you can find a good instructor. that's the hard part, most places aren't offically certified by any of the isreali or international krav maga groups (there are several that all seem to teach basically the same system) i'm not too sure on who the most "prominent" or whatever any of these groups are. some seem to be having a bit of a ****ing match with the others.

but anyways the place i go is here,
i think i got lucky:
http://www.precisionmartialarts.net/

he's certified by this organization:
http://www.your-krav-maga-expert.com...structors.html
Do they do internet instructorships?
http://www.your-krav-maga-expert.com...-training.html

that is such an issue for me
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,789 Times in 4,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAM65 View Post
and where the focus of course was to retain students for as long as possible trough the use of various levels, testing, etc.
That has been the problem from day one with most/all martial arts in the USA.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
Krav Maga is an excellent system, but the most important thing with any martial art is to actually FIGHT, not just practice katas and forms but to FIGHT. The reason I say this is because the most important thing you can learn from any fighting system is to take a punch a kick or any kind of forceful strike. When you fight alot you are not shocked by being struck hard. Most people are not used to being hit, and are shocked when it happens, in that short period of time while you are shocked you are going to be hit again and perhaps again and again and again. It really doesn't matter what system you train under, the only thing that matters is that you fight fairly realistically (within reason) so that you will not be shaken when you are struck by the attacker, because you WILL be struck, and when you are it is your reaction to it that will decide your fate. If you fight alot and get struck by someone your reaction will probably be "So what? I get struck all the time, I'm used to this". If you reach that point in your training, you will have achieved your goals.
THAT'S IT!!!!
Someone finally said it.

That's why most traditional martial arts courses of study suck. They're set up so that the dojo won't get sued.
They teach kids courses and rape defense classes, "in a safe environment".
(read 'no contact').
Unfortunately, without contact, most of this stuff is useless.

The main reason that I prefer kickboxing. At a good school, they'll put you in sparring gear and in the ring.

Though Krava Maga might be good, those "dirty" techniques (groin shots, small joint breaks, etc. will never be taught via contact - just can't).
But if the school (any school) gives you some contact training, it's better than nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 AM

gotta fight to win. not train. coming from bouncer/correctional officer (level 3-4)/mma spec. in gracie jiu jitsu (blue belt) and submissions wrestling and american kickboxing.
145-155 for Team No Limit MMA out of South Hill, VA in BFC, WFC and NAGA.

i still lose (rarely and train EVERY day. point being: put in the mouthguard, get hit, hit back, FIGHT or LOSE.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttruscott View Post
I've been told by students in American classes that it has lost its hard core edge and is just another choice now.
Krav is as good as the effort you put in and the instructor you pick, just like every other martial art you might want to choose from.
The Following User Says Thank You to hudson69 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM

I like Krav Maga. I sent a friend to train at a krav place for a more practical street self defense. Though I tried to get her into a grappling art as I feel those are better suited for women (excuse me for being sexist on the issue but I profile and stuff). She however has been learning great straight forward self defense for the streets which I can agree with her on. There are a lot of methods in it that I dont fully agree with, but it brings many flares of hard style mixed with some boxing and basic take downs. Still has holes in it though.

I like systema cause it reminds me of escrima, but i prefer the disarming techniques of aikido myself blended into a hard system.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,173 Times in 3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSmartNY View Post
As wiht many things relate dto self defense, much of it comes down to the instructor/s and students...

In the KM classes I take, we do both defense and offense....
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Hands down best in my opinion for it's practical uses.

In my opinion the top 5 martial arts for the purpose of self defense are

1.krav maga
2. bbj
3. keysi fighting
4. JKD
5. Wing Chung

For more info read this post on self defense lessons to get a more detailed explanation on why.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyman View Post

1.krav maga
2. bbj
3. keysi fighting
4. JKD
5. Wing Chung

For more info read this post on self defense lessons to get a more detailed explanation on why.
You win.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,789 Times in 4,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyman View Post

1.krav maga
2. bbj
3. keysi fighting
4. JKD
5. Wing Chung

I can't really take anyone seriously that could advocate wing chun with a straight face.

How wing chun looks on film:

What happens to wing chun under pressure:

Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,034 Posts

I trained KM for a couple years before moving from the city.
Most classes there were strictly fitness routines. But Ill tell ya what, it hardened me pretty quick. 6 months of that & I was in great shape with incredible cardio.

Most of the technique classes were good, but like many here have said, 'not enough h2h, sparring allowed by instructors.'

While I was a member there I made some great friends that had the same interest in KM that I did. Alot of times we would reconvene elsewhere after classes for sparring & h2h combat.

I haven't been a member in a few years but I still regularly spar with some guys in h2h KM. If you can find a few guys who study MA & like to fight for fun, you'll learn more with them than in most any MA studio, just because most schools don't allow h2h sparring.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Target Shooter

Anyone from denver have any experience with Krav maga here? I might start a thread im looking for a good place here...
Old 02-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon115 View Post
I can't really take anyone seriously that could advocate wing chun with a straight face.

How wing chun looks on film:

YouTube - ‪Wing Chun vs 10 Black Belts‬‏

What happens to wing chun under pressure:

YouTube - ‪wing chun(ving tsun)vs wrestling in ufc5‬‏
By the same logic, MMA is useless on the street.

How MMA looks in training

How MMA looks in a street fight

Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
By the same logic, MMA is useless on the street.

How MMA looks in training

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2jMeHic_ABk

How MMA looks in a street fight

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbh7xJIrio&client=mv-google&layout=mobile
Kind of unreasonable odds.

Fighting is still dangerous even for pro fighters.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post: