Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Marine Corps Mountain Survival Course/Survival Training School of California stsc1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 02-06-2018 08:37 PM
Survival Food Taste Test & Review: The Survival Tabs - Chocolate & Strawberry The Shadow Food and water 4 03-27-2015 01:14 PM
SAS Survival Handbook Revised Edition or SAS Survival Guide 2e (Collins Gem) ? joey80 Looking for - want to buy 2 12-21-2013 04:20 PM
Survival Quest Camping Help - Multiple Month Survival in National Forest (CA) protogalaxy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 02-20-2013 11:53 PM
Survival Seed Vault - Heirloom Emergency Survival Seeds - $29.95 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 07-06-2012 11:31 PM
Survival Seed Vault - Heirloom Emergency Survival Seeds - $29.95 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 06-30-2012 12:31 AM
Tired of lame survival knives...created own survival hatchet cstockwell Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 06-05-2012 12:04 PM
Survival Seed Vault - Heirloom Emergency Survival Seeds - $37.95 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 04-05-2012 07:48 PM
This is going to be a “Short Report” on the Survival Pack from ASAP Survival Gear Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 10-26-2010 07:59 PM
SAS Survival Secrets: Interrogation and Torture Survival/Escape and Evade Todesking Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 09-09-2010 12:39 PM

View Poll Results: Your opinions on air guns for survival?
Yes, they are useful 388 81.51%
No, they are a waste 47 9.87%
Undecided 41 8.61%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Advertise Here

of course there usefull! with .177 cal 1000fps rifle i can kill a fox
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeemanHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2008, 03:48 PM

You can't go wrong, heck if you can you get on Darrel Qauckenbush's Airguns waiting list you can get a .475 that can kill a buffalo with 585 Ft-Lbs of energy!!! What do want to do? Short of taking on an invading army head on in firefights you can hunt almost everything there is to offer in most of north america.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rifleman336 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 08:57 PM
CaptAmerica

Default Survival?

I would not know that. Never had the opportunity to try it. I think most are not. They are too weak, too slow.
The government keeps the cal. small, and the speed weak.
You could fire darts however.
For my money the Pneumatic pump is the way to go. What happens when you can not buy CO2?
Conversion to a larger cal. is not too expensive however. Probably the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
For my money the Pneumatic pump is the way to go. What happens when you can not buy CO2?
Thats why most of us advocate a springer. There mechanically simple and dont require anyoutside sources of power.
Im not a fan of darts unless there poinsed, a pellet can go in further than a dart and do more damage, either to animals for food or someones eye as a pain deterrent.
The Following User Says Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Target Shooter

Inexpensive to purchase, inexpensive to shoot: quiet, if subsonic: accurate out to 30 yards, even longer: killls small game: can be purchased and possessed almost anywhere with little or no legal restriction ....asking if we should own one for survival is like asking if we should own a knife for survival!

Jim
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Smoothbore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,335 Posts

Quote:
The government keeps the cal. small, and the speed weak.

Ummmmm not so much.

big bore airguns

Stuff you can buy.

Fact is the government in USA has nothing much to say about it.
Europe on the other hand.

Airguns can and have been VERY useful.
Lewis and Clark even took one with them on their expedition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Buck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebguy View Post
One summer while i was in college i stayed in a tent for a week at a friend's wooded acreage outside town, waiting for an apt to be vacated so I could move in. There was a .177 pellet rifle to be used, so i decided to see if i could live off the land. Wasnt hard, except birds arent as convenient to eat as hot dogs. If I'd had a .30-06 I probably would have gone hungry.

Jim
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 PM
CaptAmerica

I agree. I just wish there were more choices on these things. Very accurate. Quiet.
CA
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Buck View Post
Ummmmm not so much.

big bore airguns

Stuff you can buy.

Fact is the government in USA has nothing much to say about it.
Europe on the other hand.

Airguns can and have been VERY useful.
Lewis and Clark even took one with them on their expedition.
Very true. They aren't even regulated at federal law, and only a few states and municipalities do.

It varies in other coutries. Some do: end of discussion. Some don't: end of discussion. Others regulate them if they're above a certain energy (UK), or a certain velocity (Canada).

Jim
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
CaptAmerica

Of course if attacked by a soda bottle or empty beer can, it is a perfect weapon.
Small game for survival would work, but so would a snare, wouldn't it?
For defense, I still have my doubts.

CA
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Target Shooter

But I suspect that most of us could harvest more small game with a good air rifle than with a snare: how do we ensure that the animal will take the bait, and how many can you take at a time with a snare?

Also, that most of us would be pulling the trigger more often for a small animal for the pot, than for an attacking bear, or band of bad guys.

Why not conserve the cartridges as needed for self defense, or big game, and use the air rifle, with its tiny and inexpensive pellets, to feed yourself?

Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smoothbore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Of course if attacked by a soda bottle or empty beer can, it is a perfect weapon.
Small game for survival would work, but so would a snare, wouldn't it?
For defense, I still have my doubts.

CA
Unless you have alot of practice with snares, they are not an easy thing to master and even then not something to rely on alone.

In a real world survival situation you always want multiple means to an end. I would certainly still set up snares, but I also certainly want a another means for food gathering and an air rifle can very nicely fit the bill.

Air rifles for me are something I have been very slow to accept and just very recently have I begun to research them and learn more about their capabilities. I am at the point now of seriously considering purchasing one. I am eye balling several of the ones that Gamo makes. These shoot upwards from 850 fps to one shooting 1600 fps, with most of them at 1000 to 1200 fps.

As everyone else has said, they are quiet, which if you think about yourself in a survival situation, may be your most important defense, they are accurate, have reasonable range, and are more than effective for most little furries you would come across in the woods. Not to mention an almost limitless supply of ammo.

So imo there is no doubt that it is a useful survial tool, how can it not be seen as such.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
ruralist

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_bear View Post

Quote:
Thats why most of us advocate a springer. There mechanically simple and dont require anyoutside sources of power.
I am also a springer maniac But there are hand pumps for the self contained gas airguns Capt is on about. I've not used one so don't know how tiring it is or how long it takes, but they are definatley out there! Normally they are offered in a package or otherwise amongst additional items. There must be something in the handpump that rejects oxygen, whilst filling, as oxygen would be kind of flammable when trapped and pushed within a tiny piston of an airgun - boom! Some do do it, or at least brag about it online, even filling c02 cannisters with oxygen, but I was always told that's a bad idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
CaptAmerica

I was merely playing Devil's Advocate there. Certainly a CO2 airgun would be easier.
But if the SHF, how long would the CO2 last? What about a couple years? Springs and pumps are the way to go. I am also exploring the possibilities. My father's 270 would reach out and touch someone at over 3000 fps. But my brother stole it from me and sold it. My 300 Savage he did the same thing with. Those rifles were worth thousands of dollars. So I am kind of spoiled with that. I tried Black powder 30 years ago, and still wonder how they ever managed to fight a war with the stuff. I think that air or something like this is the way to go today. Charged Pneumatic has an advantage of size and number of shots, but still has to be re energized.
I just need more research.
CA
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptAmerica For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Trapper

anybody seen the pellet gun adaptors that fix onto a bow. They look inetresting but a bit pointless to me.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Target Shooter

Never did see those. Can you show us some info?

Jim
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
yep that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothbore View Post
Never did see those. Can you show us some info?

Jim
here ya go http://www.airowgun.com/pellet.php I posted a thread about them in the bow section several months ago
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuffnutt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffnutt View Post
here ya go http://www.airowgun.com/pellet.php I posted a thread about them in the bow section several months ago
Cheers I was having trouble finding the link
The Following User Says Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Trapper

just so you guys know an air pistol or rifle only needs to reach a little over 300fps
to reach the heart of a human while not my first choice for self defence i sure in hell would not want to be shot with one again took a bb in the face right under the left eye lodged in bone, i also killed squierrls with a daisy red rider on a cold winter day one shot in their little head and they were done no kidding, so i'd have to say they're very usefull.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 AM

Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrexian View Post
There must be something in the handpump that rejects oxygen, whilst filling, as oxygen would be kind of flammable when trapped and pushed within a tiny piston of an airgun - boom! Some do do it, or at least brag about it online, even filling c02 cannisters with oxygen, but I was always told that's a bad idea.
The boom happens at much higher pressures than are reached by the air rifles.
If we were talking about big commercial pumps pushing hundreds of Bars there could be issues.
These hand pump type charged reservoir airguns don't really push that kind of pressure really.
Even with the venturi action in the ones with quick, complex valving.
The heat involved is insufficient to ignite the O2 in cases like this.