RVs may be the ultimate bug out plan. - Page 10 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 157 01-22-2019 06:51 AM
What do you plan to use for communications to secure your Bug In/Bug Out Location 3percentR Communications 33 10-04-2017 09:40 AM
Multiple vs Single Radio for Bug in & possible Bug out Vinland Communications 14 09-19-2017 04:46 AM
Health Insurance/Healthcare Plan....could this work? OhioMan General Discussion 11 05-16-2017 06:24 AM
What I Learned on the Road Deep_Six Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 10-25-2016 01:30 AM

Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,638 Times in 1,973 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Thanks to the input from this board, my next step is seeing if I can get my Jeep to a real remote spot and set up the tent on the cargo rack. I want to be sleeping about 7' off the ground for obvious reasons. If one pulls the ladder up then others have a harder time gaining access during our most vulnerable hours.

So this will be an improved bug out location that is close enough to water yet within an hour of home.

Thought I had a good spot then found an archery hunter camped on it last year. I think we can forget about anything that is accessible by trail even if remote. The mere existence of a trail requires many users every year.

Just being 100 yards off a remote trail would place one pretty much out of sight. I'd say that ~90% stay on the trails. Maybe 50% within eyesight of their vehicle - very rough guess.
When I set up my most recent camping system, I went the roof top tent (RTT) route also.

I mounted mine on a trailer I already had. The main reasons I went that way was:
1) Once the tent is set up, I can detach the vehicle and use it independently
2) The right trailer being pulled by the right vehicle can still have really good offroad performance. My trailer is a tandem with offroad wheels, independent suspension, 4 wheel disks and very good ground clearance, entry, break over and departure angles.
3) I need a trailer to carry my quad anyway
4) The whole thing can be left loaded up and ready to go faster than loading up stuff into your daily drive vehicle

I also got the extension annex for the RTT and a 270 degree awning to cover the other side and the rear of the trailer - so my covered area is about 8'x8' in the RTT, about 9'x9' in the annex (far side of the picture) and about 8'x8' on the other side and rear of the trailer.

By the way, I think you will find that the manufacturer of your RTT would recommend against using it with the ladder pulled up. The ladder acts as a support for the (otherwise) unsupported (folded out) half of the tent floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	287472  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
When I set up my most recent camping system, I went the roof top tent (RTT) route also.

I mounted mine on a trailer I already had. The main reasons I went that way was:
1) Once the tent is set up, I can detach the vehicle and use it independently
2) The right trailer being pulled by the right vehicle can still have really good offroad performance. My trailer is a tandem with offroad wheels, independent suspension, 4 wheel disks and very good ground clearance, entry, break over and departure angles.
3) I need a trailer to carry my quad anyway
4) The whole thing can be left loaded up and ready to go faster than loading up stuff into your daily drive vehicle

I also got the extension annex for the RTT and a 270 degree awning to cover the other side and the rear of the trailer - so my covered area is about 8'x8' in the RTT, about 9'x9' in the annex (far side of the picture) and about 8'x8' on the other side and rear of the trailer.

By the way, I think you will find that the manufacturer of your RTT would recommend against using it with the ladder pulled up. The ladder acts as a support for the (otherwise) unsupported (folded out) half of the tent floor.
Yes - that does make sense. In a truly hostile environment I would still pull it up and use wood to support the other half.

Is that a military grade trailer? Seems they are worth a lot more than they were years ago. A nice Jeep trailer would be pretty nice.
Old Today, 04:49 AM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,638 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Yes - that does make sense. In a truly hostile environment I would still pull it up and use wood to support the other half.

Is that a military grade trailer? Seems they are worth a lot more than they were years ago. A nice Jeep trailer would be pretty nice.
Yes - it is an ex mil trailer. Their market value is set by what people will pay for them. But they are pretty much always a lot cheaper than it would cost build a trailer that strong and well equipped.

Bear in mind the original Jeep trailer capacity was 1/4 ton (and was unbraked) - so that would not even carry a quad bike.
Old Today, 05:23 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,361 Times in 2,462 Posts

"FREE" overnight camping at Wal-Mart info:
https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

https://www.elmonterv.com/guide/rv-r...y-information/
Old Today, 06:25 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 7,494 Times in 2,884 Posts

Quote:
Just stay away from places run by lefties if you want to park at Walmart. Seriously.
It doesnít matter about politics.
If you park overnight...and you have this huge pop up tent on top of your vehicle or you are towing a pop up camper.... with it popped up... you are sticking out like a sore thumb.
Most of these Wal-Marts on the list do not allow overnight parking anymore.
Usually have a private security company that patrols the lot.... they spot you....either they tell you to go....or they call the local cops.
In urban areas...or even rural areas...you want to be stealth. Your vehicle should blend in.
Old Today, 08:21 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
It doesnít matter about politics.
If you park overnight...and you have this huge pop up tent on top of your vehicle or you are towing a pop up camper.... with it popped up... you are sticking out like a sore thumb.
Most of these Wal-Marts on the list do not allow overnight parking anymore.
Usually have a private security company that patrols the lot.... they spot you....either they tell you to go....or they call the local cops.
In urban areas...or even rural areas...you want to be stealth. Your vehicle should blend in.
The vast majority of those Wal Marts are in areas run by lefties. They are on the east coast and west coast. This is common knowledge in the RV community.
Old Today, 08:38 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
The vast majority of those Wal Marts are in areas run by lefties. They are on the east coast and west coast. This is common knowledge in the RV community.
https://www.walmartlocator.com/no-pa...arts-by-state/

Over 1000 Walmart stores that are no park locations..... not just west and east coast...
Has nothing to do with lefties. Has to do with folks who act like trailer trash and mess it up for others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 09:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,697 Times in 3,350 Posts

Quote:

Over 1000 Walmart stores that are no park locations..... not just west and east coast...
Has nothing to do with lefties. Has to do with folks who act like trailer trash and mess it up for others.

That's too bad, I'd still ask, you never know they may say yes. It's those who set up with the intention of living there that are a problem. Ah well there are always truck stops. Again one would have to check and see if they have an RV area. Some do some don't. Thing about Walmart is you can usually find one within a days driving distance in any direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:17 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
I count 88 Walmartís in Texas that donít allow..... I guess you consider Texas as leftist

Iím just saying to the Walmart crowd....it is getting more difficult to stay overnight in their parking lots.
Best option....is find one open 24 hours...and be stealth about it. Extending the sides of an RV ...or using a pop up...isnít stealth.
Then again...nothing about a RV is stealth. Lol.
Old Today, 10:26 AM
Survivor

I can and have caught a nap on the dinette bed of a pop up camper without popping it up. I don't understand the stealth aspect. It's a camper you are not going to be stealthy or disguise it so why bother trying. Just be careful in selecting your overnight locations and be prepared to move if you have to. It's not rocket science...LOL
Old Today, 10:32 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I can and have caught a nap on the dinette bed of a pop up camper without popping it up. I don't understand the stealth aspect. It's a camper you are not going to be stealthy or disguise it so why bother trying. Just be careful in selecting your overnight locations and be prepared to move if you have to. It's not rocket science...LOL
Like I said....nothing about a RV is stealth. Lol.
If you want to rest somewhere and not be hassled...and evicted at 1am.... got to be stealth.
Old Today, 11:04 AM
Survivor

Location, location. location...choose right you win a good nights sleep, choose wrong and you get rousted and lose an nights sleep. I think that pretty much goes with the territory...
Old Today, 02:17 PM
Hiker

Quote:

Professional RVers have the experience. They say that Walmarts in lefty locations are generally not co-operative. Plus 80 stores in Texas - which is probably less than half the Walmarts in Texas - our second most populous state.

EDIT: Counted over 80 Walmarts in Texas before I was done with the letter C. Huh.