Best Pet for Rodent Catching/Prevention - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting to defend a family pet from a person, would you do it? 7.5x55 Swiss General Discussion 152 05-09-2019 01:31 PM
What are your pet peeves? MyPrepperLife General Discussion 115 04-23-2019 04:32 PM
Petition To Include Pet Food In Food Stamps Hazeleyes General Discussion 81 02-07-2018 01:28 PM
Pet rescue stories, share yours PurpleKitty General Discussion 85 01-03-2018 05:43 PM

Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Advertise Here

I was going to mention JRTs. All of the ones I have had were natural born killers and somehow just knew when there was a rat on the pole mounted bird feeder in the back yard. Without prompting they begged at the back door and when let out, immediately knew that they should take turns jumping up on the support pole until it fell, then ripped it up instantly. They LOVE rat killing.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnso For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Cats of any kind, make sure they are not over fed or fat. I second the black alley post I have one who has moved with me all over the country and it's rare site to see an ant, spider, roach or rat. I know he kills because I find the bodies, but very efficient pest deterrent.
The Following User Says Thank You to eatthecurry For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 08:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,993 Times in 4,108 Posts

For now we are at last rodent free, but the weather has turned warm, I think said mice/rats will return when it gets cold again. They literally chewed their way through brick and thick metal grates on our air bricks to get this last time.

As for now I'm going to get all the food storage into metal tins - they ate through thick plastic, climbed into wall cupboards - literally got everywhere. One thing I've found to be great, especially for fabric storage are those thick metal cases you use for camera/sound equipment. They seal so tightly that they can't get started on a seam. NB if storing potatoes this way they cause a massive amount of condensation, so need to be changed out regularly.

One thing that does seem to attract them is kibble (dry dog food), I don't know if it is extremely strong smelling to them. It maybe a consideration for any dog owners who keep pet preps, or leave feeders out during long periods of time.

A list of some of the stuff they ate:

Dog kibble
Dog treats - one climbed onto the dog stroller, along the handle into the bag to chew at it.
The dogs stroller - they chewed through the side wall of net to get into the area where the dog sat.
Pigs ears - a dog treat
Porridge
Porridge oats
Pasta
Biscuits/cookies
Cough Candy - one scaled the coat stand to eat through pockets.
Washing up liquid
Squash - the drink
Washing laundry soap - powder
First aid supplies
The dogs fabric toys - one literally nicked his toys to make a bed for itself
Fabric
Wiring cabling of all kinds
Boiler loom - wiring
Books - to turn into bedding
Plaster board in ceilings
Floor boards

Lastly peppermint tea bags - yes one took those as well.

What worked:

Peppermint essence on cotton wool balls - only for mice and short term
The plastic humane traps for mice
The slam dunk traditional trap - totally brilliant, just use the rat ones for both.
Poison - yep it works, but it is very slow working and the smell is horrid.
Metal tins and china with good sealed lids - the rodents didn't seem to even try those and went for the easier plastic.

Thus once our current 17 year old, frail dog has travelled his last journey to the Rainbow Bridge Fields, we've decided to either get a large cat from the local rescue or get a small terrier (Jack Russell or the like). I prefer the cat as they are easier to keep then walking a dog every day and with neighbours who are noise sensitive to barking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post: