Elbow punch instead of knuckle punch? for short people too? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STRAITS RED chapters 32-34 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 2 04-29-2018 08:46 PM
tree stands and pillbox davej1138 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-10-2017 03:17 AM

Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,804 Times in 4,137 Posts

Advertise Here

I was told my a navy seal once that the only time you should throw a punch is if your naked and both feet are nailed to the floor.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 28,671 Times in 8,332 Posts
Default Elbow punch instead of knuckle punch? for short people too?

Short people should just headbutt the person in the groin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 PM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,572 Posts

Im 5'6 180 lbs and brought down 2 much larger over 6' by going low and wrapping their knees up tight and pushing them over...they hit the ground full force. They did hit me but being down low they didnt have much affect.
The Following User Says Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,895 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieKiwi View Post
I've heard many arguments against knuckles in a fight, Joe Rogan says they really need to be conditioned (for example by punching bricks without glove, but he admits any such conditioning causes future health problems). that you can easily break your wrist, that mistakenly punching the teeth or forehead can cause you more pain than the enemy etc.

Joe Rogan says the solution is elbow punches.

i kind of like that idea, but everytime I practise it on the speed ball I'm unimpressed, it's very difficult to reach targets and getting a good solid connect. and they telegraph like crazy.

do you think elbows are good?
Could it be that perhaps they are more suitable for tall people, that shorter people should stay very clear from this technique?
Well, you don't need to punch BRICKS to condition your hands and other bones (legs for kicking, etc.). Regular use of a heavy bag will cause your bone density to increase and help. I agree about face punches though. If you can, it's better to open hand the head or face.

Elbows are AWESOME but you need again to condition your bones with practice. I've seen people break their forearms and dislocate elbows throwing elbow strikes improperly or without proper conditioning.

BUT....you have to be closer in generally to use elbows. They won't be more telegraphed than a punch if you do them properly. Just like with a punch you don't haul back BEFORE throwing them. They come naturally, just like a punch does.

Still, you have to be closer in so that great power comes at a cost. Have to know how to handle yourself inside an opponent. On the ground? They'll work ok if you're in a dominant or top position. From your back they have limited utility. As with everything, YMMV. Depends on you and your training.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbsa View Post
I hit a guy in the mouth with a right elbow and his lower teeth gave me a deep cut and elbow paun for months afterwards. I still say using the heel of your palm is the way to go.... Or what Karate people call a "krane fist" wich is more of a spear hand with the fingers bent slightly.
Ugh...tough break on the elbow. Sorry to hear that! Depending on the circumstance the palm heel might have been better. Hindsight being what it is!

Crane fist? Only if you REALLY know how to do that and have practiced a ton. I don't (personally) feel it has the power needed and I've seen way too many people break their wrists just practicing using that on heavy bags. Not for me, in any case!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:18 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,252 Times in 3,271 Posts

Master Wong has some good videos on this topic. He's a bit crazy, but is fun to watch.

This guy has hundreds of videos on YouTube that demonstrate some interesting Wing Chun techniques. Wing Chun was the style used by Ip Man and the style Bruce Lee trained in before establishing Jeet Kune Do.

"Don't punch" is part of a series. Here are the others:

The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 9,652 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post
Ugh...tough break on the elbow. Sorry to hear that! Depending on the circumstance the palm heel might have been better. Hindsight being what it is!

Crane fist? Only if you REALLY know how to do that and have practiced a ton. I don't (personally) feel it has the power needed and I've seen way too many people break their wrists just practicing using that on heavy bags. Not for me, in any case!
Crane fist and nukite thrust are both finger strikes used mainly against soft targets like the throat. You will hurt and even break your fingers with those attacks if you are not well trained and your fingers are not conditioned.

Quote:
Typically the concept is to slap a punch down with the underlying "support hand"under the elbow, as the other hand thrusts out the length of the arm to stab the throat or eye. Realistically this is flawed as the distance the arm takes to thrust give the opponent a longtime period to see it, parry, trap or guard against it.
In other words, don't bother unless you are highly trained. IMO, YMMV
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Crane fist and nukite thrust are both finger strikes used mainly against soft targets like the throat. You will hurt and even break your fingers with those attacks if you are not well trained and your fingers are not conditioned.

In other words, don't bother unless you are highly trained. IMO, YMMV
Bingo! I personally loved elbow, but I've got fairly short arms and wanted to get inside on just about everyone anyway. But the BIG point is, in my opinion, YMMV. Different training, different styles, different fighters. Not one size fits all, that's for sure!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,058 Times in 2,797 Posts

Win First.

It sucks to have a broken hand, it sucks more to be dead. If you are really in a life and death situation, winning is more important.

Learn to use all the tools in your toolbox, but don't hamstring yourself by training to not use them all.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 AM
This is a great survival forum

Had to fight a guy into handcuffs a few months ago. Two elbow strikes between his should blades took the fight right out of him.