Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions for reloaders 308 once fired brass fragout Rifle Forum 56 08-03-2019 09:44 PM
Military brass being reloaded and Sold??? bilmac Rifle Forum 22 04-22-2019 03:31 PM
Can you reuse media? 7.5x55 Swiss Firearms General Discussion 25 03-11-2018 03:29 AM
Caldwell AR-15 Brass Catcher Mesh Black (122231) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 03-03-2017 08:52 AM
Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr 50rd Box (5201) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-30-2017 08:36 AM

Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Default Brass Knuckles

Advertise Here

The Texas legislature just voted this week to remove legal restrictions on carrying knuckles !
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,175 Times in 10,230 Posts

Very good. To be honest, I did not realize brass knuckles were prohibited. For me, they are heavy and not my 1st choice.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,301 Times in 3,280 Posts

Most of the brass knuckles I've seen in stores are novelty items (intended to be paperweights) that are more likely to damage your hand than your opponent's head. Be careful if you decide to buy one.

States are also legalizing switchblades. Arizona legalized them maybe 5 to 7 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 02:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,252 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
Most of the brass knuckles I've seen in stores are novelty items (intended to be paperweights) that are more likely to damage your hand than your opponent's head. Be careful if you decide to buy one.

States are also legalizing switchblades. Arizona legalized them maybe 5 to 7 years ago.
I don't follow knife laws, but I noticed a year or two ago that a bill to legalize switchblades and assisted opening had gone through. Don't know if it was signed or not.

Really not my thing I'm happy with a good locking knife with a thumb stud. I oil them up and just keep working them till they flip for me.

I view them like bump stocks. Not my thing, but if you want one you should be able to have one.

Knuckles to me really are a novelty, probably because I have never seen a decent set that like stated wouldn't damage your hand more than the person you hit. Coin rolls seem to work great though from what I have seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Trapper

Most people don't know the correct way to use them so it won't be that big of a thing. TV and movies have ruined their image also and lead people thinking they are super deadly weapons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,322 Times in 6,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
I don't follow knife laws, but I noticed a year or two ago that a bill to legalize switchblades and assisted opening had gone through. Don't know if it was signed or not.

Really not my thing I'm happy with a good locking knife with a thumb stud. I oil them up and just keep working them till they flip for me.
We have been legal for a long time here. My switch blades are a lot like assisted openers, just easier to open, without any special flick of the wrist. They lock open, and Blade HQ makes auto knives out of regular knives, so they arenít crap steel or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Woods Survival View Post
Most people don't know the correct way to use them so it won't be that big of a thing. TV and movies have ruined their image also and lead people thinking they are super deadly weapons.
They can be....but the same can be said of a stick.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,732 Times in 7,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post

I view them like bump stocks. Not my thing, but if you want one you should be able to have one.

Knuckles to me really are a novelty, probably because I have never seen a decent set that like stated wouldn't damage your hand more than the person you hit. Coin rolls seem to work great though from what I have seen.
Agreed. None of this stuff is really my thing. I view them as simply freedoms that should be allowed.

And for what it's worth, a quality switch blade costs 10x the price of a nice folder or as much as a nice pistol...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 604 Posts

They're neat... There are so many choices for weapons, though, so you have to think about how much you need it and what the niche is.

That said, I'm just remembering that pepper spray people need something to back up their pepper spray. Sometimes, it may make a difference if a brass knuckles is less overt than an ASP.

I've never owned a brass knuckles, and I don't totally understand them. But I don't want to go as far as to say that they'd never be the right thing.

Also just wondering about what this trend has to do with demographics.

To begin with, I'd say that if they're going to change racial / national demographics so drastically on us, then self-defense law should start to give us more freedoms.

I just hope that the point of it isn't to give us a vain hope-- to get people to accept more and more affronts, and more and more demographic change that becomes an impossible problem to solve ("Well, at least they're letting me have my brass knuckles / whatever, thank God") -- or to prevent police and courts from locking up badguys. You know, to actually arm the badguys, and keep them on the streets, as the demographic situation changes for the worse.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,553 Posts

I have a old one made from aluminium that came out of a safe that belonged to a retired Co Sheriff, LOL I guess I'm no longer a felon for having it. Texas has been slowly taking things that might be considered weapons from the restricted list and changing the laws to reflect punishment by what is done with them instead, making people responsible for their actions which is the way it should be. Now we can legally walk down the street carrying a sword maybe it won't be to long before we can Constitutionally Carry.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,334 Times in 3,243 Posts

Brass knuckles can easily kill someone.

Why is this in the non lethal section?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,803 Times in 661 Posts

Knuck's are absolutely a serious weapon. You still have to connect in order to have the desired result but can easily inflict a fatal blow with a strike to the head. I believe the legislature got it right in decriminalizing the carry of them. If you use them illegally then you will face the charge of aggravated assault, a first or second degree felony.

The interesting part will be how they view the use of them under self defense. A less lethal option instead of drawing out a handgun or knife. It will take some time and a few cases to determine if you can use them in defense of self.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:59 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 7,938 Times in 2,573 Posts

`

I'd rather have the lead sap style gloves similar to these than knuckles, but that's just me.
`

https://www.tbotech.com/sap-gloves.htm

I used to sell the 2 finger brass knuckles, often called knuckle dusters now when I was in Jr. High along with stars & knives.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Hiker

if you really want to see the effectiveness of brass knucks? first punch yourself in the face as hard as you can with your bare hand, then do it with brass knucks.

what did you find out?

they can be sort of a equalizer. say your a 150lb man attacked by a 250lb man? 1 punch by you to the orbital socket,nose,front teeth or square on the chin can end it all.

if im attacked by a force greater than myself, then all bets are off. I really don't care what I use, you started it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post

Legal but can't be sold (shipped) across state lines. So unless you have brick and mortar stores or a internet retailer in your state that sell them, you are out of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,693 Times in 790 Posts

A machinist where I used to work makes them in his garage machine shop. He takes measurements of your hand so they fit better.
I prefer a good slapjack so I don't have to worry about getting blood on my hands. Hepatitis, AIDS, the creepin' uglies, homosexual gayness, liberal thought, New York mind melt, and who knows what else can be transmitted in blood.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,334 Times in 3,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
A machinist where I used to work makes them in his garage machine shop. He takes measurements of your hand so they fit better.
I prefer a good slapjack so I don't have to worry about getting blood on my hands. Hepatitis, AIDS, the creepin' uglies, homosexual gayness, liberal thought, New York mind melt, and who knows what else can be transmitted in blood.
Slapjacks are amazing!

I've read stories of the old school dirty harry style law dogs who would carry one back when, as we used to say, "back when it was hard".

A slept on self defense tool that is a one hitter quitter if you nail it right on the button.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 7,938 Times in 2,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
Legal but can't be sold (shipped) across state lines. So unless you have brick and mortar stores or a internet retailer in your state that sell them, you are out of luck.
`

I don't know when they changed the law, but I ordered them from several states over back in the 80's.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,296 Posts

Just as a historical interest, I read a article somewhere that the soldiers in our civil war made knuckles from lead. There was a few photos of examples. Darned if I can remember where I read that article.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,139 Times in 3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
...I've never owned a brass knuckles, and I don't totally understand them. But I don't want to go as far as to say that they'd never be the right thing. ...
There's not much to understand regarding brass knuckles. I'll be 69 next month and my punch doesn't carry the pop it used to. Not every situation calls for using a firearm for self-defense, so to enhance my punching power I picked up a nice pair of brass knuckles at a gun show a year or so ago.

They sell them as "paper weights," but these are not novelties. They are self-defense weapons. Brass knuckles actually protect your hand when striking your attacker. You are gripping the brass knuckles so that when you hit something only the brass knuckles are going to make contact with the target and the impact is absorbed by the palm of the hand.

In addition to self-defense, these are great for breaking car window glass to save suffocating babies and pets left in autos in the summer by their idiot parents and owners.

[IMG][/IMG]
"...That circled portion of the knuckles sits against your palm, thus the impact, instead of the force being imparted on your knuckles, is applied directly to the heel of your palm, a very difficult area to damage. And the second aspect? Just look at them. There is a very distinct gap between each of the knuckles, lowering the surface area of the impact point meaning more pressure. And what about brass? Well it might not be as hard as other metals. But it's harder than bone."

"So this all translates to: brass knuckles inherently increase the amount of pressure per punch and serve as protection. Brass knuckles are also heavy, which increases the force per punch. This all means that brass knuckles will enable you to strike as hard as you want without worrying about breaks while increasing the total pressure and force. So what damage can they wreak? They can break bones with ease, tear open skin, cause internal injuries, kill while negating most risks of personal injuries. ...

CITE: https://www.quora.com/What-damage-ca...-punch-produce
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,139 Times in 3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Slapjacks are amazing!

I've read stories of the old school dirty harry style law dogs who would carry one back when, as we used to say, "back when it was hard".

A slept on self defense tool that is a one hitter quitter if you nail it right on the button.

When I was on the job in New York back in the '70s and '80s I first carried a "classic" blackjack. I quickly switched to the "slapper" which the more senior guys recommended in the first place.

One shot from the regular jack cracked open the skell's head and there was blood all over the place. The slapper didn't open them up and there was less explaining to do, let alone less mess.

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post: