Purple Tree Collards - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Moringa Oleifera Tree AKA Tree Of Life TXplowgirl Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 07-05-2016 02:34 PM
Apple tree, fruit tree and blueberry spraying Rwurbanwildlife Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 05-28-2015 08:52 AM
Purple Paint Rhino1600 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 5 04-30-2015 05:52 PM
We're all purple penguins. Renegade Ziggy Political News and Discussion 80 10-19-2014 08:28 AM
Kale and collards didn't die off during winter Trilect Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 03-10-2013 06:31 PM
Canning Collards! JUSTSURVIVEBABY Food and water 5 07-12-2012 11:14 PM
Selective tree harvest on property - how to determine quanty output from tree's tankman1989 DIY - Do It Yourself 5 06-05-2011 12:14 PM
Purple loosestrife raglan Edible & Non-Edible Plants 7 08-23-2009 03:02 PM

Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
RH-O Negative

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,498 Posts
Default Purple Tree Collards

Advertise Here

This is my second year of growing and using Purple Tree Collards cultivated from cuttings. Are there any other people out there growing Purple or Green Tree Collards as a part of their SHTF prep or garden? I have been juicing and cooking the leaves just like I do regular greens and collards. I have most of Tree Collards growing in 5 gallon buckets (up to 5 feet tall), so that I can easily take them with me if I need to bug out, but the tree collards doing the best (up to 10 feet tall) are the ones growing directly in soil with rock dust, compost and some potting soil mixed in.

Purple Tree Collards are naturally rich in Calcium, Vitamins B1, B2, B9 and C as well as Beta-Carotene. If grown in rock dust (Azomite, etc) they can also be an important potential source for many of the minerals missing in our diet today.

I started mine from cuttings in December 2011 and they have steadily grown and actually produced seed this year (June 2013). They provided my family and I with leaves during all of the later half of 2012.

My Purple Tree Collards produced their seed on separate branches while the plant itself kept on producing leaves. I only had one plant that did not produce any seeds and it was a tip cut rooting. I have heard that seeds from Purple Tree Collards do not always produce plants exactly like the mother plant. My experience with growing them by seeds is that they are similar but not exactly the same look or growth pattern. Each Tree Collard cutting planted also has its own characteristics and "personality" as do the ones grown from seeds.

It behaves as a perennial here in the North DFW, Texas area and is extremely Texas frost tolerant without any cover or protection. I do have to provide some afternoon shade when the temps reach into the 100 degree range.

If anyone is interested in obtaining some Purple Tree Collard seeds or cuttings, they are available from at least a couple of sources on eBay. Do a search for Purple Tree Collards and you should find sources for cuttings and seeds.

There are also Green Tree Collards available as cuttings but I have not tried to grow them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02428.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	75468   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02429.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	75469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02427.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	75470  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mastersergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,647 Times in 6,470 Posts
Thumbs up Grow both purple and green: luv em

We plant them in late summer for the fall gardens.

Have 6 plants in 5 gal buckets that are 4 years young theses are our "summer greens" They survive deep south Ms 100+ humid days and go nuts when it frosts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,501 Times in 719 Posts

Great Find I love perennial vegies

If you like the tree collards try sea kale and nine stare brocklie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LIBERTYCHICKEN For This Useful Post:

Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,161 Posts

Thanks for telling us about "Tree collards". I will have to look into them. For bugging out it is only large metropolitan areas maybe or zones prone to horrible natural disasters. I plan to shelter in place in my semirural setting. Remember refuges have not respect or rights and only if they lucky pity. Shelter in place is the smartest way to go for most of us. Stockup on what you need to survive from having a backup water and septic tank to food, medicine, and arms.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,051 Posts

I've heard of tree collards from uttube channel, "growing your greens". I do however have a couple of questions. Should they be plated in spring or fall for next years crop? Does it die back to a stump in the winter, then come back an the spring?

We live in the high desert, with some hard freezes in winter and 100 + in summer. Just might try them, and see what happens. I'm glad to see the ones in buckets do ok, that might be the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to bestfriendroo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
RH-O Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriendroo View Post
I've heard of tree collards from uttube channel, "growing your greens". I do however have a couple of questions. Should they be plated in spring or fall for next years crop? Does it die back to a stump in the winter, then come back an the spring?

We live in the high desert, with some hard freezes in winter and 100 + in summer. Just might try them, and see what happens. I'm glad to see the ones in buckets do ok, that might be the way to go.
Here in North Texas the Purple Tree Collard is a perennial plant, or so it has been my experience with them.

I recommend starting them closer toward the fall time of the year when the days are still in the 70's and 80's. These are Collards by nature and they do prefer cooler weather over the hot Texas summers, but once established, they do quite well.

All of mine were from a piece of a stalk cut to about 8" with at least two nodes on them. I am trying to grow them from seed right now but they aren't doing as good as expected in this 100 degree heat and intense sun.

As far as the Purple Tree Collard dying back to a stump, this has not been my experience with them. Mine has stayed a purplish green all year long. I have heard that in the colder climates, they die out in the winter. People in cold climates could take cuttings and start them in potting soil inside the house. They would be ready for the outside in a few months (2-5).

I hope that this answered some of your questions. Can anyone with experience with them in cold climates jump in here and give us some more information?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 PM

I wish! I LOVE greens and have been trying to find a reliable source for getting some tree collards cuttings, to no avail If anyone has a resource, PLEASE let me know...I am confident they will do well here in the FL panhandle.

Oh, and I love "growing your greens" youtube vids....I think that guy John is fantastic and is my go to source for alot of gardening.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 AM
RH-O Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLchick View Post
I wish! I LOVE greens and have been trying to find a reliable source for getting some tree collards cuttings, to no avail If anyone has a resource, PLEASE let me know...I am confident they will do well here in the FL panhandle.

Oh, and I love "growing your greens" youtube vids....I think that guy John is fantastic and is my go to source for alot of gardening.
Go to ebay and do a search for tree collard. There should be a source of cuttings and for seeds.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Question

Hello everyone

I am looking to buy some purple tree collards. but they have been very hard to find. I live in phoenix az, if anyone has a line on some cuttings or seeds (in the area or another state) I would like to buy some. I'm very hopefully someone will Be able to help. thank every one
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,704 Times in 3,343 Posts

Never heard of these before. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 AM

I bought 6 Tree Collard cuttings last year that all took off, and looking good, then died. They never rooted just produced some leaves.

Is there any way you will sell a couple of potted collards that are already rooted?

I am a fellow Texan living in Mexico near Guadalajara where the temperature is never as hot as D/FW area or as cold. It is a Spring-like climate so plants usually do extremely well here.

A friend had 3 of the cuttings that died also, will be visiting their McAllen home in November.

I can have my bank up there send you a check to pay for 2 plants and the shipping.

Please sell us 2 Tree Collards. You wrote that you have seeds. Did the seeds produce because I read that Tree Collards won't produce true from seed.

If your seeds were good maybe we can buy seeds from you.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:12 PM

I've pruned mine in the winter and thrown the stems in the compost pile, then come back two weeks later and seen them growing new plants. They are a great plant, especially if you have poultry. If you feed them to the ducks and chickens the eggs turn brilliant orange.

Here is one place you can get tree collard cuttings.
The Following User Says Thank You to gardenprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:39 PM

Hi this is greg responding to your ads. 5109121706
Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 20,351 Times in 6,465 Posts

Good read on growing them.

https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/gu...tree-collards/

Old 03-07-2018, 01:13 PM

It has been several years since this post. I was wondering if you have a source locally for potted, growing, Purple tree collards.

bfeltenb

Last edited by bfeltenb; 03-07-2018 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: punctution
Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 PM

I am growing tree collards in Dallas, have been growing them outside for 3 years. They're great.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 PM
RH-O Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwd View Post
I am growing tree collards in Dallas, have been growing them outside for 3 years. They're great.
I am still growing mine also, wow it is 10 years later, but in fiber air pots.

Last winter I cut off several of the healthiest branches and started new cuttings. About 5 months later, all but one of the plants are getting huge. I don't know why that one plant seems to be stunted. Good luck in your growing efforts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastersergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 AM

What I have grown for the last 3 years is the purple tree collard, last fall I obtained the "Merritt Green" tree collard which did well so far including thru last winter, and recently I obtained the "Dinosaur" tree collard which I suspect may be more freeze hardy than the others. I'm experimenting with how the different varieties perform here. I am aiming to establish a perennial group of 25 or more tree collard plants at my "country" location just outside of Dallas. The leaves and scraps make good chicken feed also. I'm a southern boy and I have yet to tire of collards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxwd For This Useful Post: