Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 17 02-14-2018 04:40 AM
Not the typical dog thread kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 01-22-2017 04:36 PM

Old 09-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
Thought I would post an update on Ares.

He is now a few days over a year old. He currently weighs in at 120lbs. Still energetic and has an incredible prey drive.

Still loves the kids, they climb on him and play with him. He enjoys it.

He remains vigilant in his watching, alerting and guarding.

His training is going well.

But he has some health issues; Cherry eye (surgery twice-both failed) and alopecia; a fur disorder (aesthetic as of now). The breeder has told me over and over again the parents have had no health issues. But 3 of the dogs from that litter have alopecia? So clearly it's inherited. I figured a registered breeder would know her **** and not lie, I believe I was swindled.

Ares is a great dog, but his breeder is far from being great. I was considering buying another Corso from her, but not now.

My wife wants a Leonberger, so we're on the look for a proper breeder of them.
Sorry to hear about your doggie health issues and wish you the best of luck dealing with them sir.

It is always 'possible' for a puppy to have perfectly healthy parents and that puppy grow up and become 'sickly' somehow just like it is always possible to different puppies from the same litter to grow up and have different health 'needs' as they develop.

I do not personally believe there are any real guarantees as far as that sort of stuff is concerned. You may end up with lower 'odds' of particular ailments with the right breeding but I can't see how anything can be ruled out entirely.

In my case with my current girls (littermates) - They both get fed the same exact things, in the same portion sizes and at the same times and always have. While it may not seem logical - The one that is most active is (and has been for a good many years) a good ten lbs heavier than her sister and likely always will be. The 'couch potato' dog that is least active maintains a 'book average' weight no matter what. Judging from the activity levels of each those numbers 'should' be flipped around but they are not.

As far as health issues are concerned - One of mine gets eye boogers fairly regularly and I am pretty sure it is related to a very mild allergy of some sort. The other has never had any such sort of issues like that.

Temperament can be just as different when comparing puppies from the same litter (or to their parents) as they develop as well. Even if you go out of your way to expose your dogs to the same things at the same times and treat them 'equally' - There is no guarantee they will behave the same way as each other once they get to be adults. Mine are 'night and day' different in that respect. I don't consider this a problem in my case - Just means that I have to know and understand what each dog is 'best' suited for and use them accordingly.

Again, Wish you the best possible luck with your dog.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 13,609 Times in 3,314 Posts

Heavy Hauler, I am acquainted with a reputable Leonberger breeder out here that used to also breed top notch horses so I know they know their stuff , and I am considering getting a puppy from them myself in this next year as I think I would like the breed and trust their breeding. I think they only have one female left from their recent litter .

Every single property here have larger sized 'bear' dogs and you can hear them sound and I can tell exactly where the bear(s) are by the barking . The three cane corso in front of the north half of my property pretty much stop everything, even the cougar I saw skirt into our driveway, to avoid them out on the road . I need a breed that can stay outside at night but oh man those mountain dogs SHED hair like crazy for months .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,029 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
Heavy Hauler, I am acquainted with a reputable Leonberger breeder out here that used to also breed top notch horses so I know they know their stuff , and I am considering getting a puppy from them myself in this next year as I think I would like the breed and trust their breeding. I think they only have one female left from their recent litter .

Every single property here have larger sized 'bear' dogs and you can hear them sound and I can tell exactly where the bear(s) are by the barking . The three cane corso in front of the north half of my property pretty much stop everything, even the cougar I saw skirt into our driveway, to avoid them out on the road . I need a breed that can stay outside at night but oh man those mountain dogs SHED hair like crazy for months .
Go with a corso. They shed less. Unless they get alopecia like mine. He sheds a ton every day.

Although today, my wife and I noticed something strange. His fawn color is coming back! His fur still sheds but not a crazy amount.

I hope it can sort of fix itself.

I just saw the part where you said they need to be outside at night. Get a long haired breed, especially for winter. Or maybe a medium haired breed.

My sheltie lived outside for 90% of the 13 years I had him. Even in winter at -45c. Don't ask me why, I gave him every chance to come inside and he looked at me like I was crazy. Lol.

Ares likes the cold, and grew a thicker coat to help ward it off; but now with alopecia, I'm not sure how he will fare against -55c. I'll be sure to make updates. Winter has already started up here. Leaves are turning and falling, we have a few weeks of fall and then it's winter. Lol. Snowed here in the middle of September last year if I remember correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:

Old 09-06-2017, 11:23 AM

We have a black lab (for hunting) and a german shepherd (guard dog). They both have very protective instincts. If a car goes by on our rarely traveled road (a few hundred feet from the house) at an odd hour, they will be on alert. During the day, they just sit when a car goes by, as they were trained to do. We never taught them this, but they know when someone is supposed to be on our land and when they are not.
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodHavenHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 AM

I have a Rottweiler/Pitt Bull mix I got as a rescue when he was a puppy he is now nine years old. He is very protective of the property and even more so of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to nurtlh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,786 Times in 1,950 Posts
Default Newfies & Malamutes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
IMHO if there are young kids around I just wouldn't want a dog big enough to seriously hurt them no matter how trained they are. With big dogs who are great with kids, everything is fine until it isn't. Then you read about it in the paper.

That's just my view and I realize not everyone will agree with me. You simply cannot be guaranteed that some day the dog won't turn and kill that child. It's impossible to guarantee.

I do have a big dog right now (a Newfy) but my kids are grown now.

Small dogs are everywhere and make great watch dogs, giving you time to get a firearm and investigate. If you leave a guard dog to watch your house while you're not home, there is a chance they will just kill the dog. .
well, and Golden Retrievers, are just about the only big dogs I would trust with small kids. After a period of watching, of course. Both Newfies and Malamutes are legendary as baby sitters, Newfies as lifeguards.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Default Dog

We have 4 American Spitz. One bites. Pick one !
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Watch dog here. Not interested in guard dogs. Have Great Dane and a ridge back.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:56 PM

I had several mixed breeds they were good guard dogs but did not have the power to stop and intruder when I had a break in here near DC.

We bought a pitbull, but was not a good guard dog. Now we want a Cane Corso, I am waiting on a breeder to have their next litter, they don't breed much so i guess i will be waiting a little. My friend has one so i'm going with same breeder. Here is photo of the Dad of my friends dog.

does anyone have a dogo argentina? I may consider one of these...