Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Target Shooter

Default Kali, Eskrima, Arnis, etc.

Advertise Here

Who here has any experience with Filipino martial arts?

Background: I've been exposed to several different martial systems without ever becoming adept in any of them. Boxing more than anything else, but I still wouldn't call myself a boxer, just someone who has trained and sparred a bit. I've never had a bout. Even less with grappling; I know some concepts and techniques and I've wrestled and rolled some but it doesn't go much beyond basics.

Position: At 51-years-old and with a history of back problems (herniated disc and surgery) I want to rely on a weapons based self defense system. I almost always carry at least two knives and one pistol. And sometimes an expandable baton also. I understand that some initial striking and grappling can be necessary to create space to access weapons. But that's about as far as I want to dedicate myself to an empty hand system, be it BJJ, Krav Maga, etc.

Are there any practitioners of Filipino martial arts here? How long have you been into it and how do you find it in comparison with other things you've trained in?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 1611 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 PM

I’ve recently started training in escrima. I have a varied background going back 20 years into various martial arts (predominantly Japanese jujitsu). A good Filipino based system should have a complete open hand curriculum. The movements done with weapons can be done open handed as well. Not sure what styles might be available in your area, but some systems put more emphasis on the weapons based portion than others. For example, Sayoc Kali is “all blade, all the time”. Shop around, research the style and the instructor, and visit a few classes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinzei For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Target Shooter

How are you finding that triangle footwork?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611 View Post
How are you finding that triangle footwork?
Itís not too bad. Most of the techniques that Iím working on right now have an almost fencing type of footwork. I have worked on male and female triangle footwork, but it works well within the context that itís used. Pekiti Tersia Kali is extremely footwork intensive. I had a friend that studied it for a while and about 60-70% of his training time and as devoted to footwork drills.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM
covfefe

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Who here has any experience with Filipino martial arts??
20 years of eskrima\kali\silat\JKD\grapling\boxing.

fought in a few dog brothers gatherings.
1st time I was 47 and after herniated disc and surgery ( a few years before).
I am ok with the stick\knife (1st style and longest).
sort of ok at grappling.
suck at boxing. I found this to be the most difficult art for me. Maybe because it was the last art that I started to study. I understand the mental part, my reflexes are just too slow and the mental part is not instinctive (I have to think too much).

Anyway, how can I help you ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eskrima For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskrima View Post
Anyway, how can I help you ?
I thought it might be the best fighting system for an older man with past injuries who is starting to see the natural speed and reflexes diminish a bit. Do you find that to be the case? Does the stick work help with diminishing speed and reflexes? And I thought it might be the best fighting system for an older man who carries and plans to rely on weapons first and foremost. Do you find that to be the case?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:27 PM
covfefe

Quote:
I thought it might be the best fighting system for an older man with past injuries who is starting to see the natural speed and reflexes diminish a bit. Do you find that to be the case? Does the stick work help with diminishing speed and reflexes?
In short, no. At least not for me. Taking the offense helped me. I was fighting people half my age, but was able to hang in there because I was always on the attack.

Quote:
And I thought it might be the best fighting system for an older man who carries and plans to rely on weapons first and foremost. Do you find that to be the case?
Yes. Having a weapon and being proficient I think would give an older person some advantage, but you would be surprised what the human body can incur and keep going.
Having said that, I didn't see any one suffer a break and keep going - even a finger. And of course the usual soft spots - eyes, throat, groin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eskrima For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
fought in a few dog brothers gatherings.
I have Marc’s Die Less Often videos. They are one of the things that got me interested in the idea of Filipino martial arts.

Quote:
1st time I was 47 and after herniated disc and surgery ( a few years before).
Total respect for you here. I’ve watched the Dog gatherings on YouTube and I think that takes more nerve than anything seen in the octagon.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 AM

I had the honor of spending an hour 1 on 1 with Top Dog. It was a very humbling and educational (and painful!) experience. I’m 46, so I don’t heal near as fast as I used too! Hope to get the opportunity again. I primarily train in Bahala Na (Giron Arnis Escirma)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Target Shooter

There is no Eskrima near me but I'm interested. I'm hoping I can benefit by attending some weekend seminars. Other than that it has to be video instruction and self practice with a striking dummy for now. That's hardly ideal and can lead to a false sense of capability but it has to be better than nothing. In your experience, are weekend seminars appropriate for someone not under regular professional instruction?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM
covfefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzei View Post
I had the honor of spending an hour 1 on 1 with Top Dog. It was a very humbling and educational (and painful!) experience. Iím 46, so I donít heal near as fast as I used too! Hope to get the opportunity again. I primarily train in Bahala Na (Giron Arnis Escirma)
Yes, I have had private sessions with Marc Denny - I did this before actually fighting in the gathering. I wanted to know what I would be up against LOL.

I am from Los Angles, so when I lived there, I briefly trained at different times over the years with Dan Inosanto, Edgar Sulite, Cas Magda, Paul de Thouars, Bud Thompson.
I was really into FMA and wanted to train with as many different styles as possible.

And Inayan eskrima. I actually trained directly with the founder's son and daughter She was an arrogant bitch and I was close to letting go at one point, but just decided not to study this style any longer. Besides, they had the philosophy that one was not "allowed" to also train any other style, which in my opinion is complete BS.

non FMA - Small Circle Ju Jitsu, American Kenpo, various BJJ gyms, and a boxing gym.

I was really into it for a long time. Trained at least 6 days a week. Just couldn't get enough.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:49 AM
covfefe

Quote:
Total respect for you here. Iíve watched the Dog gatherings on YouTube and I think that takes more nerve than anything seen in the octagon.
LOL. Yeah, I was pretty scared the 1st time, but I just had to do it.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 AM
covfefe

Quote:
There is no Eskrima near me but I'm interested. I'm hoping I can benefit by attending some weekend seminars. Other than that it has to be video instruction and self practice with a striking dummy for now. That's hardly ideal and can lead to a false sense of capability but it has to be better than nothing. In your experience, are weekend seminars appropriate for someone not under regular professional instruction?
Yeah, it's far from the best situation. You really need live feedback. But definitely attend as many seminars as you can.
If possible, get a friend interested to train with you.

As a tip, to generate power with your strikes, think a swinging a bat or golf club. The power comes from your hips, not your arm. You want your body to pull the strike. If you are having issues with this, try keeping your arm stationary and just swing with your body.
Another issue that I had to overcome was sticking my arse out too far. This will cause you to be off balance when you swing. So what I did was to over compensate by thrusting my hips forward until my hips "got it".

I am not a "natural" athlete, so I had to really work at it. I had a lot of bad form to over come and everything was difficult for me.

One more thing, learn Chi Sao. It is essential (IMO). You can practice this with you wife, GF, kids, whoever. But you cannot practice this without a partner.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have had private sessions with Marc Denny - I did this before actually fighting in the gathering. I wanted to know what I would be up against LOL.

I am from Los Angles, so when I lived there, I briefly trained at different times over the years with Dan Inosanto, Edgar Sulite, Cas Magda, Paul de Thouars, Bud Thompson.
I was really into FMA and wanted to train with as many different styles as possible.

And Inayan eskrima. I actually trained directly with the founder's son and daughter She was an arrogant bitch and I was close to letting go at one point, but just decided not to study this style any longer. Besides, they had the philosophy that one was not "allowed" to also train any other style, which in my opinion is complete BS.

non FMA - Small Circle Ju Jitsu, American Kenpo, various BJJ gyms, and a boxing gym.

I was really into it for a long time. Trained at least 6 days a week. Just couldn't get enough.
Excellent pedigree! I would love to be able to get more training time in. I believe our Former grandmaster Tony Somera was also certified under Edgar Sulite. I have a friend that is an instructor in a modern hybrid Filipino art called SEMAK under guru Michael Blackgrave, and I pick his brain when I am able.

I also fell in love with FMA. I feel the same way as you do about not being able to train in other styles. Itís complete BS. I have a passion for the arts, and a short attention span, so Iím always looking to train when I come across a new art. My escrima instructor has a school partner that is a Silat instructor. I didnít remember what style, but I plan on adding some of that to my toolbox as well!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's far from the best situation. You really need live feedback. But definitely attend as many seminars as you can.
If possible, get a friend interested to train with you.

As a tip, to generate power with your strikes, think a swinging a bat or golf club. The power comes from your hips, not your arm. You want your body to pull the strike. If you are having issues with this, try keeping your arm stationary and just swing with your body.
Another issue that I had to overcome was sticking my arse out too far. This will cause you to be off balance when you swing. So what I did was to over compensate by thrusting my hips forward until my hips "got it".

I am not a "natural" athlete, so I had to really work at it. I had a lot of bad form to over come and everything was difficult for me.

One more thing, learn Chi Sao. It is essential (IMO). You can practice this with you wife, GF, kids, whoever. But you cannot practice this without a partner.
This is excellent advice.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,238 Posts

Quote:

Chi Sao is an amazing drill that applies across just about every style.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Trapper

I had the privilege of training with Modern Arnis Grand Master Remi Presas in the mid 70's. He was an amazing man. I am now teaching his techniques to my grand children.