Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lady faced 14 year jail sentence in Australia for having pepper spray. slackercruster Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 46 11-16-2018 02:26 AM
Pepper spray recommendations MHarn Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 46 05-02-2018 11:54 PM
What happens if your caught with the wrong pepper spray in NYC or Jersey? slackercruster Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 33 02-17-2018 01:09 AM
Pepper Spray Expiration? Edith Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 05-11-2017 09:33 PM
Superior self defence - high pressure pepper spray Lunes Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 34 10-12-2016 03:21 PM

Old 04-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Pepper Spray

Advertise Here

I was looking into different sparys for my wife to carry and some research i found Resiniferatoxin it is over 1000 times stronger than Capsaicin. Would it be possible to make a spray with this, or would that be simply a chemical weapon?

Anyway after much research i think i will go with UDAP. It has the highest MC rating.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,255 Times in 1,476 Posts

First, is it legal for civilians where you are? Are both you and your wife trained in use of chemical protective sprays and familiar with your state law regarding same. If not, seek professional advice and training, including getting sprayed yourself and deconning. If legal for civilian use in your state it is usually best to carry the same product your local and state LEOs do.

Off-label use of industrial cleaners, paint, bug spay, etc. is a criminal offense which you do not want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,725 Times in 1,748 Posts

Whatever brand you get, get one with no safeties or switches you have to actuate before using. Get a brand that makes inerts, and practice using it. It's not as easy as people think under stress to hit someone in the face with it, especially if they aren't standing still.

And be aware it often doesn't work. Either because of some people's lack of sensitivity to it, or on those that have experienced it before, like many ex-cons, and don't have the psychological response to getting sprayed. When we first issued it, most guys dropped like a rock when hit. A couple years later, a lot didn't. The word was out that it hurt, but it didn't burn your eyeballs out.

OC can be a good tool, but It doesn't work like a phaser on stun.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:

Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM

UDAP is legitimate. I qualifies with pepper spray at a small fraction of what this stuff contains and I thought I would die when they told me to open my eyes and navigate out of the sally port.

I think it best to just carry a tried and true commercial product.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,328 Times in 686 Posts

I like bear repellent but i only use it on my own property. I have a can of the legal pepper spray for when the cops get there.

With the bear repellent i can cover a person with bear repellent from head to foot quick.
The cops hated when i used it on a criminal i caught in the act on my property.
they had to drive the guy to the fire department with there car windows open and get him hosed down before they could take him to jail.
bear spray shoots a long narrow jet up to distances of 15-30 ft

For street carry i use the legal people pepper spray. people pepper spray only shoots a small stream 5 to 10 feet.

Bear spray can be purchased even in Hawaii, what i don't understand is what bears live in Hawaii.
The Following User Says Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,255 Times in 1,476 Posts

I forget the native name for it, but there is a legend of a Hawaiian "sasquatch" like monster who eats round-eyed children who wander off too far away from base family housing and the MPs carry bear spray to ward off the monster because he is impervious to bullets and can be chased away only with bear spray or air dropping boxes of chocolate macademia nut cookies on nights with a full moon while playing Don Ho music from the speakers on the slick. Master Chief told our kids so and that is the only place they ever behaved, so it must be true!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 AM

Pepper spray is about 10x stronger than bear spray. Pepper spray is meant to harm and incapacitate people where as bear spray is only meant to scare away the beast not cause harm. Bear spray is almost guaranteed to get into someone's eyes while pepper spray needs to be aimed accurately. If you get pepper spray get a few cans and have your wife practice using it. I'd also try and spray into a slight breeze to get the feel of the blowback so you won't be as surprised if it happens which happens more often than not.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:19 AM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeeS1983 View Post
Pepper spray is about 10x stronger than bear spray. Pepper spray is meant to harm and incapacitate people where as bear spray is only meant to scare away the beast not cause harm. Bear spray is almost guaranteed to get into someone's eyes while pepper spray needs to be aimed accurately. If you get pepper spray get a few cans and have your wife practice using it. I'd also try and spray into a slight breeze to get the feel of the blowback so you won't be as surprised if it happens which happens more often than not.
Sorry, but that part in bold is incorrect. Bear spray is the strongest form of OC spray currently on the market, with one exception. The product mentioned above by UDAP (The "World's Hottest" formula) is actually stronger than bear spray. Other than that one product, bear spray is stronger than all other forms of "people" pepper spray.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 PM

I went off of what I read and was told where most pepper sprays contain about 10% OC and 1-2% CRC where as bear spray have about 1-2% OC and 1-2% CRC. The EPA regulates bear sprays. Maybe they changed the formula and the EPA relaxed its regulations on bear sprays. Speaking of which I need to dig mine out since it might be expired.