Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,309 Times in 6,222 Posts
Default lawn tractor repair questions

Advertise Here

Any of you guys real familiar with MTD/troy-built lawn mowers, I am trying to identify a deck spindal that's not the correct one for the serial number?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2020, 09:27 PM
IRON ON COURAGE

Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal4liberty View Post
Any of you guys real familiar with MTD/troy-built lawn mowers, I am trying to identify a deck spindal that's not the correct one for the serial number?
Is the deck the correct one for your tractor? Maybe the factory substituted decks and did not update the manuals?

There seems to be a lot of interchangeability and model by model changes on these tractors.

https://www.mtdparts.com/en_US/shop-...-type/spindles
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,309 Times in 6,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Is the deck the correct one for your tractor? Maybe the factory substituted decks and did not update the manuals?

There seems to be a lot of interchangeability and model by model changes on these tractors.

https://www.mtdparts.com/en_US/shop-...-type/spindles
Im thinking someone switched the deck out. I been trying to find measurements on the spindle dimensions.

Its hard to tell from looking at pictures and no part numbers stamped on the old ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 04:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal4liberty View Post
Im thinking someone switched the deck out. I been trying to find measurements on the spindle dimensions.

Its hard to tell from looking at pictures and no part numbers stamped on the old ones
If you obtained the mower used, the spindle is probably a chinese replacement for the OEM spindle. Look on Amazon for your make and model mower if you need a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 AM
IRON ON COURAGE

Can the spindle be repaired by pressing out the bearings?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Man of few words

Thanked 1,544 Times in 726 Posts

Get ahold of MTD on phone.they have given me a lot of help on snowblowers,(drive cables and other cables being wrong length)sometimes parts on spec sheet are not the same as on the equipment due to mid year subs and changes.
we have a two year old Bronco,so far,no probs.

Make sure you have serial#,model # and eng # (if that makes a difference).
Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Trapper

I always use partstree to get the numbers from the exploded view diagrams then call the local small engine part stores. It’s pretty easy to find the mower then the part you need. Print out the diagram and parts list if you can as well
Old 08-03-2020, 02:05 PM
IRON ON COURAGE

On the topic of these Tractors. I have an LT2000 42" tractor from Sears and the steering mechanism is trash. There is a steering shaft with a tiny gear that is supposed to turn a ~ 180 degree sector gear. The mechanics of this thing were cheaply done and it is constantly loose and incredibly difficult to turn. It relies on the stability of the frame, gets dirt in the grease, etc. I am really not sure what part(s) are worn, but the individual parts are all expensive.

Is there an aftermarket kit or a retrofit to fix all this?
Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,017 Times in 2,313 Posts

Quote:
On the topic of these Tractors. I have an LT2000 42" tractor from Sears and the steering mechanism is trash. There is a steering shaft with a tiny gear that is supposed to turn a ~ 180 degree sector gear. The mechanics of this thing were cheaply done and it is constantly loose and incredibly difficult to turn. It relies on the stability of the frame, gets dirt in the grease, etc. I am really not sure what part(s) are worn, but the individual parts are all expensive.

I have an MTD same/similar issue (has a silly 2 piece sector gear and a loose shaft). There is at least one youtube on the fix procedure. Replace the "bushing" at the base of the steering shaft. If it is worth the time for a cheap POS mower.

There is a goofball (Taryl Fixes All) at youtube that has dozens of good/useful videos on fixing mowers.

I've come to the conclusion that a detailed examination of the design/build and parts is required OR it is impossible today to buy a decent mower. Yet to find one at a big box store. The transaxle, in particular, most use is just a POS Tuff Torq K46. Even Deere uses it. But the details on that K46 are many (with or wo drain plug and access to fill port). TuffTorq makes poor, good, better, best transaxles but the few additional $ at spec/build time are pass over by the mower mfg. Disposable products are NOT all make in chicomland. The POS transaxle overheats in 4yr (after warranty) because the fluid slowly leaked out of the unserviceable thing and most people will just junk and buy a new unit. See also washing machines, refrigerators, dishwashers. Would cost 10% more to build any with "good" level components. But have "MBAs" in marketing doing their magic BS with determining price on anything other than cost+. (rant off)

Just now working on my wife's Husquvarna rider - started out with K46 that was failing. By the time I got it jacked up to pull the transaxle found that the frame was sheared thru on both sides. Frame bottom flange approx 1/8" and top flange 3/8". Pathetic. What kind of self-respecting draftsman (certainly not an "engineer") would even draw such an abomination ! Has a good Kohler (not Courage) so going to weld up/reinforce the frame and then see if a fluid refill (or replace seals) on the transaxle will resolve the lack movement problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:41 AM
IRON ON COURAGE

I have to look at mine to see how to replace that bushing. It is so cheaply made that I am inclined logically, to replace all the parts, but they add up fast in cost.

The parts, all of which must be greased, are located perfectly as to collect sand and grit.

Then there is the question about how flimsy the upper frame supporting the steering wheel itself is. The force required to steer must be working on the supports and upper bushing, if there is one.

I had not given a thought about the transaxle maintenance. The manual mentions nothing about fluid service. Hopefully there is a breather where I can probe fluid level and add as needed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,809 Times in 971 Posts

Try searching the width and make. Most of these box store tractors are made by very few companies.

Breaking spindles is why I switched to a more commercial mower. I use to have to stock the things durring mowing season.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 11,249 Times in 4,268 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for reminding me to go squeeze some grease in mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,592 Posts

If you want to look at what is probably the best mower made (at least for non-commercial work), look at the X-Mark Lazer Series. Be prepared for a shock when you look at the price tag, there's none better.

I wouldn't buy a riding or zero turn mower from the big box stores. The John Deere, for example, that they sell at Lowes, is NOT the same quality you'll find at a JD dealer. They are made to the big box spec and are vastly inferior to the "real" thing. We used a JD riding mower for 2 acres for 18 years with nothing but normal maintenance. I had back surgery and couldn't stay on it that long, so I bought the X-Mark several years ago. Great machine, with a floating seat deck for my back. You truly do get what you pay for.

Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe out there.

WW

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J