Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-30-2020, 02:57 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 14,121 Times in 4,293 Posts
Default Bought my first camping hammock

Advertise Here

Went kayak camping last weekend at the beautiful Mission Point on Bribie Island with a few mates. Some of them have been using camping hammocks exclusively for their camping trips the past 3-4 years. Theyíve been in my ear the whole time to ditch my tent and get a hammock.

Well, my tent is nearing the end of its service life so I pulled the pin on a Hennessy Jungle Explorer Zip XL. Itís supposed to be a good gateway hammock into the world of hammock camping. If should be here next week according to the postage tracking.

We (the boyz) have a few stealth camping adventures lined up that require a hammock, so Iím looking forward to being an outlaw while also being in the outdoors.

Will post some thoughts once it arrives and Iíve had a go at using it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 AM

It will be interesting to hear your initial impressions. Many start with Hennessey but ‘graduate’ to better (and American made) hammocks later on. In all fairness HH made one model of hammock here, for a military contract that demanded it). They had their ‘feet to the fire’ years ago and even went so far to post pics of their Chinese manufacturing facilities all healthy and happy. There’s better options out there......
Old 08-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,228 Posts

I had a Hennesey and it was awesome, but I detested the birth canal, so I ditched it for a Warbonnet Blackbird. Much better imo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I had a Hennesey and it was awesome, but I detested the birth canal, so I ditched it for a Warbonnet Blackbird. Much better imo.

Never had a Hennessy hammock but I do love my Warbonnet Blackbird.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 14,121 Times in 4,293 Posts

I originally had a price cap of AU$200 for my first hammock, but there’s little of reputable quality at that price point for a complete camping hammock system with a double layered bottom.

The Hennessy Jungle Explorer XL worked out to be AU$261 delivered with an upgrade to a hex tarp (using their promotional discount code). The Warbonnet Blackbird with an accompanying tarp would have blown out to AU$539 before postage. Plus they have none in stock.

Don’t even know if I will enjoy this style of camping yet, so not too interested in shelling out huge dollars quite yet.

If I do find it preferable to a tent, I can always upgrade and the missus can have the Hennessy. There's a well regarded manufacturer here in Tasmania that does some good stuff, but again, it’s over the budget and not available for 8-9 weeks. I need something by August 21.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:46 PM
Target Shooter

Get some whoops slings. They cut down the weight and take up less space than the thicker ropes. My first hammock i got i had to take it out and set it up as soon as i got it. I woke up a few hours later surrounded by birds chirping staring at me. Dont even remember falling asleep.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,700 Posts

I agree, whoopie slings are a nice addition, they are inexpensive and/or you can make your own for even less. If youíre new to hanging you might want to make sure youíll like it first.
There is a wealth of info available from hammockforums.net ( just donít talk about guns there) to shugemeryís videos https://m.youtube.com/user/shugemery.

Couple points that might help:
You donít need to hang it super tight, a somewhat U shaped hammock ( about 30 degrees empty) is ideal.
Lay at an angle if your hammock allows it for a nice flat lay.
Most people will want some kind of underquilt at temps below 70f.