Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 12-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,389 Times in 4,119 Posts
Default People are idiots

Advertise Here

So the east coast of Australia is still burning. On Friday some numpty went along the backroads in the mountains behind us and lit fires every 5km or so. The smoke was so thick you could taste it, and they havenít found the person responsible yet.

Thereís smoke is still thick in the air, but the wind has dropped a bit so the fires arenít as ferocious as on Friday arvo.

It got me thinking about disasters and prepping. As careful as one might plan, there are always idiots that will do the exact opposite of what any sensible person would do during a disaster.

These people are dangerous, best avoided, and if confronted should be dealt with in the severest manner. I donít know how Iíd exactly handle a situation where someone was doing something so stupid. Angry and frustrated people are easy to deal with, but stupid people are a whole other issue.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:18 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,915 Times in 21,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash View Post
So the east coast of Australia is still burning. On Friday some numpty went along the backroads in the mountains behind us and lit fires every 5km or so. The smoke was so thick you could taste it, and they havenít found the person responsible yet.

Thereís smoke is still thick in the air, but the wind has dropped a bit so the fires arenít as ferocious as on Friday arvo.

It got me thinking about disasters and prepping. As careful as one might plan, there are always idiots that will do the exact opposite of what any sensible person would do during a disaster.

These people are dangerous, best avoided, and if confronted should be dealt with in the severest manner. I donít know how Iíd exactly handle a situation where someone was doing something so stupid. Angry and frustrated people are easy to deal with, but stupid people are a whole other issue.
How do they know that some idiot was setting fires every 5 km? (as opposed to some other causes, like the occasional random idiot flipping their cigarette butt out the window?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,351 Times in 2,902 Posts

Sorry to hear about your fires, there was a couple of idiots shooting flares out of their car to start fires. Idiots are all around but in a SHTF situation they won't fair well, some of these people you see driving around makes you wonder how they survive on a daily basis.

https://www.pe.com/2017/04/28/flares...s-near-corona/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 03:26 AM
Hiker

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

I see hundreds of idiots every day, car drivers in big black gernman cars with bold tyres and no fuel in the tanks driving at a million miles per hour, close a road off because of a bomb and they are stood at the fence climbing over it.

several times they have almost cost me my life, i find in situations when life changes, karma is going to bite them very badly, they are utterly unable to survive a week without some one wiping their backsides, for them to go around all day without a care needs a support network, garages for fuel, credit cards and plastic money to pay for things later on but to own them now. garages to repair cars they damage, and so forth. these idiots need this support frame work, take it away and they are useless.

this idiots are the ones that when they lose all their toys will try to steal and take other persons kit, think of a four year old in a play ground with a punctured football, mines dead so i want yours!

and they will happily feed of other peoples missery to do so. its because they feed upon law abiding people that wont fight back they win as they step outside of the law when it suits them

the downside to that as that will one day met someone like me or you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hedgerowpete For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,218 Posts

I think a lot of arsonists are people with personality disorders such as psychopathy.
Not are lot can be done with a psychopath once they've been created.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tiberius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,675 Times in 3,852 Posts
Default People are idiots

The average person is a moron...which means half the population is stupider than that.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,633 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:

People are indeed idiots, and dangerous. There have been numerous threads on this forum on the perils of wildfires during TEOTWAWKI for a good reason. Another reason to be as far away from other idiots as you possibly can.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 33,685 Times in 12,654 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

It sounds to me like some idiot was trying to create backburns in an effort to keep the original fire from having fuel to spread.

If so he/she should have left it up to professionals.

Or... it was an idiot arsonist that I hope they catch before they get someone killed

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Prepared

Quote:

It got me thinking about disasters and prepping.
I've been teased about this, but still think this is a good idea...

I have three 20" box fans and bought a 12-pack of merv 13 filters. For less than $100, I have $1000 worth of air filtration systems.

I did this because, here in Denver Colorado, we've had forest fires the last few years that have been so bad that it looks like it's snowing in the summer. My family had slight (but noticeable) breathing issues during these times.

I figure anything that improves air quality is a good idea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
...there was a couple of idiots shooting flares out of their car to start fires. Idiots are all around ...]
we had a couple using tracer rounds at a rural gun range in Colorado last summer during a fire ban who set off a forest fire.

people just don't think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
It sounds to me like some idiot was trying to create backburns in an effort to keep the original fire from having fuel to spread.

and sometimes, the "professionals" are idiots. About 10 years ago, we had a major forest fire because a "firefighter" was dumb and a fire got out of hand... 140,000 acres burned -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Perfect cover for clandestine activities. Say China really was in a war front with the West including Anzac, these types of acts could easily be pulled off by Chinese or other terror agents in Aussie land, California etc..starting fires is an easy act of mass terrorism using nature as the weapon. Not unlike poisoning the water, you can poison the air and cause mass economic damage not unlike other terror attack. Very easy attack to pull off.

These would be eqaully as terrifying as pipe bomb attacks as large scale arson attacks in fact effect much larger parts of the population and death counts if coordinated well can be much larger if done in populated areas.

I would not discount these types of ecoterrorism attacks when the ground becomes parched and chance of success is 100% or higher due to the environmental conditions that exist due to drought conditions over large areas of the US, Canada and Australia

The cost alone in fire service management is $2000 plus per hectare and that doesn't count property damage, health damage, lost resources, disruption of roadways and other services or death. A 300,000 hectare fire can get expensive fast. Using the 2000$/hectare pricerange that is about 600 million dollars to manage.

Clearly they can't manage it and millions of hectares have burned as a result. The fire itself has outpaced local resource and required international support, a true disaster brought on presumably by people adding to the burn. This is only primary damage as secondary damages might include water shortages, and long term environmental damage, and increasing the rate of desertification and water loss and erosion in the fire zone leading to faster rate of environmental climate change to the area as a result of the fire.

Not many terror attacks take out 700 homes and cause over half a billion dollars in damage. Austrailia, US, Canada defences against these attacks Nil. If done as attacks these fires have actually changed legislation in places like California and brought public utilities into bankruptcy. The effects are massive, but they are easily hidden under the guise of "environmental damage" rather than ecoterrorism.

The reality is much more terrifying than many small scale terror plots we see crop up in the news

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...76100600698477
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,398 Times in 3,677 Posts

I heard on the news a while back that the taliban called for muslims to set fires in the united states chanting BURN AMERICA, I know that austraila has had problems with muslim terrorists, Just something to think about. JMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,475 Times in 9,912 Posts

Yes, people are idiots.
Then when they get scared, some completely flip out, and burn and destroy their own nieghborhoods.
In fact, I expect enough of them will be crazy enough to burn down entire cities.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 5,976 Times in 1,575 Posts

I THINK all the craziness from you Aussies is simply the result of you folks being upside down all the time in your lives.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
How do they know that some idiot was setting fires every 5 km? (as opposed to some other causes, like the occasional random idiot flipping their cigarette butt out the window?
There were no fires in the area and suddenly, within an hour there were 4 or 5 fire fronts about every 5km along the same road. They all started in the same manner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post

Or... it was an idiot arsonist that I hope they catch before they get someone killed
Thereís a total fire ban state wide. The area that was set alight doesnít need backburning as itís largely state forest and national park. The weather is the driest and hottest since European settlement. Itís bad enough to almost convince climate change might actually be an issue.

We have been have high 30ís, low 40ís (97-109 Fahrenheit) here which is unheard of at this time of year, with humidity as low as 6% during the day with strong winds. Normally, itís high humidity and storms every second day.

This is the fourth year of drought with next year looking to be much the same or worse. Water security is becoming a serious issue for some of the rural towns and homeowners that are not connected to the water grid. Waiting times for water trucks has blown out to 6-8 weeks, which means if your tank goes dry now, you wonít get any delivered until mid to late January.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,675 Times in 3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Yes, people are idiots.
Then when they get scared, some completely flip out, and burn and destroy their own nieghborhoods.
In fact, I expect enough of them will be crazy enough to burn down entire cities.
We can only hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,362 Posts

About 10 years ago one of the online jihad mags had articles about arson and how to do it, exhorting them by some imam they had to set fire to all the countries they had immigrated to, holy wrath, all that bull****.

That's right when it started up pretty bad worldwide. No one wants to talk about it being a terror attack, though. But it is and a very deliberate one.

The CA fires have been linked to an illegal but no one is talking about it or even sharing his name because it doesn't fit the liberal narrative.

But if it seems like the have more fires, and worse, you are exactly right.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 08:25 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,439 Times in 3,002 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

You are right that people are idiots. Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid. You can take it out of the gene pool, but you CAN'T fix it!
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post: