Mississippi wedding venue denies mixed race couple citing religious beliefs - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 09-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,421 Posts
Default Mississippi wedding venue denies mixed race couple citing religious beliefs

Advertise Here

Sister of a mixed race couple gets denied when inquiring about a wedding venue. Manager of the place says they don't do mixed race weddings due to their Christian beliefs... although she initially says Christian Race in a very telling slip of the tongue. I don't like it when folks do stupid things and incorrectly hide behind religion so my favorite part of the story is when she talked to her pastor and was surprised to learn that the Bible has no explicit condemnation of mixed race couples like she thought it did.

Personally I hope the couple doesn't file a lawsuit against the business (just let the public shaming serve as justice imo) but I'm sure a lawyer is going to convince them that there's money to be had.

https://www.newsweek.com/no-gay-mixe...ssippi-1457252
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucky strike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 61,362 Times in 19,799 Posts

Why would you want to give people like that money anyway?

Especially at weddings rates! (Say it's for a wedding and everything down to paper plates gets 3x-4x more expensive.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Trump+Kanye=Dragon Energy

Thanked 9,143 Times in 2,644 Posts

Take the $ and quit dragging Christians as a whole into this fictional persecution complex.

Donate it to feed and clothe the poor if the $ isn't good enough for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamp frog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,317 Posts

I could not care less
Go somewhere else
Spend $$$ where it is appreciated
The victim culture
Dumb-arse lawsuit culture
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 74,561 Times in 20,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike View Post
Sister of a mixed race couple gets denied when inquiring about a wedding venue. Manager of the place says they don't do mixed race weddings due to their Christian beliefs... although she initially says Christian Race in a very telling slip of the tongue. I don't like it when folks do stupid things and incorrectly hide behind religion so my favorite part of the story is when she talked to her pastor and was surprised to learn that the Bible has no explicit condemnation of mixed race couples like she thought it did.

Personally I hope the couple doesn't file a lawsuit against the business (just let the public shaming serve as justice imo) but I'm sure a lawyer is going to convince them that there's money to be had.

https://www.newsweek.com/no-gay-mixe...ssippi-1457252
I'll agree with your assessment. There ought to be nothing illegal about what the venue owners did. But there ought to be public backlash in spades. That **** ain't cricket and I hope they lose so much business they go bankrupt.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,317 Posts

You knew this would get the cheek-splitters animated
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Infidel

Thanked 2,007 Times in 625 Posts

If that's their belief so be it. No different than kicking a veteran vendor out of a community fair for selling a T-shirt with an AR-15 on it.. Or a bakery not baking a cake for queers.. It's private property the end.. Go somewhere else..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 6,293 Times in 1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Why would you want to give people like that money anyway?

Especially at weddings rates! (Say it's for a wedding and everything down to paper plates gets 3x-4x more expensive.)
Exactly right! Thank you for announcing you're a POS so I can take.my money elsewhere.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stroo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
I could not care less
Go somewhere else
Spend $$$ where it is appreciated
The victim culture
Dumb-arse lawsuit culture
Well there hasn't been a lawsuit yet (probably will be though since this violates the Civil Rights Act)....but personally I enjoy when dumb folks get publicly shamed much more than when lawyers get involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky strike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
If that's their belief so be it. No different than kicking a veteran vendor out of a community fair for selling a T-shirt with an AR-15 on it.. Or a bakery not baking a cake for queers.. It's private property the end.. Go somewhere else..
Philosophically those situations are similar (private businesses having the ability to do what they want) but the practical difference in this case compared to those others is that there's a specific federal law against private businesses refusing service based on race.

As well as the whole thing about her hiding behind Christianity when it doesn't even apply here. That's the thing I find particularly distaceful in this case. If you don't like white and black folks marrying don't drag Jesus into it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucky strike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Infidel

Thanked 2,007 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike View Post
Philosophically those situations are similar (private businesses having the ability to do what they want) but the practical difference in this case compared to those others is that there's a specific federal law against private businesses refusing service based on race.

As well as the whole thing about her hiding behind Christianity when it doesn't even apply here. That's the thing I find particularly distaceful in this case. If you don't like white and black folks marrying don't drag Jesus into it.
Hiding or not it's their private property and it's their right to refuse service to anyone they want. The end.
This isn't public funded or public property. Private means private. Race or orientation has zero legs on private property as it should be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1010 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,586 Times in 2,621 Posts

their place of business their rules. Personally I think it's stupid and exactly what conservative do NOT need to be doing. We need to show more tolerance and let the libtards only show their hate for everyone that thinks differently. Lawsuit...no. Again their rules, just stupid rules, and money losing rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,796 Times in 8,361 Posts

I had my wedding at a landscaper's show garden, it was a beautiful venue and they had never thought to do weddings until my aunt got the idea. The owner was black and so was my husband. Not that I think race came up, just wheelchair access.

My husband was able to stand ("I'm not getting married in a wheelchair") long enough for a very short ceremony and then popped him in the wheelchair and went to the BBQ place for our wedding reception.

The BBQ restaurant had never done a wedding reception but we all waited in a very short line, they took our orders, brought them to the party room and we ate. Everyone had a good time and enjoyed the food, there was a very short wait, unlike one wedding where we had to stand in a very long line for half an hour to get tiny portions.

We broke the mold on our wedding and reception but everyone had a good time and it didn't cost much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
Hiding or not it's their private property and it's their right to refuse service to anyone they want. The end.
This isn't public funded or public property. Private means private. Race or orientation has zero legs on private property as it should be.

It doesn't have to be publically funded or on public property to fall under Title II of the Civil Rights Act. That part of the law is specifically about private businesses. They do list out types of private businesses though that are covered and reading through it I'm not sure a wedding venue qualifies so they may be ok legally if the couple did try and sue.

Like I said before hopefully no lawsuits come about...I think the public shaming is sufficient.

Just say we don't like mixed marriage though instead of bringing Christianity into it.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:14 PM
read more, post less

Anyone ever think about it? Skin color isn't mentioned in the Bible at all is it? The Book of Mormon it is, but not the Bible IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,796 Times in 8,361 Posts

Well, in the old Testament they said not to intermarry with pagans - that is the part people misinterpret.

In the New Testament says a believer should only marry another believer "Don't be unequally yoked" as it is VERY hard to have faith conflicts in a marriage, the unbeliever always resents the relationship with God and tries to wreck it. I have experienced that a lot in my marriage.

It has gotten so bad I get up hours before him to do my Bible study. When he wakes up I am in the shower or eating breakfast, but if he "catches me at it" he goes off and has a royal tantrum. Exhausting.

But, per New Testament, it is OK to have a mixed marriage. Timothy was in fact a product of a mixed marriage, a Jew and a Greek.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post: